It's official: South Ferry Loop Platform reopening - No timeline yet, however.

itmaybeokay

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least with the old SF reopening, you don't have to deal with the double transfer from the (2)(3) to the (4)(5) nor do the long walk from Rector to the ferry. Just a single ride to the (1) route's southern terminal, just be at the first five cars of the train and you're good.

On THIS forum, people are actually against the old South Ferry's reopening???? DAMN!

Yes, and I'm not the only one either... LTA is against it too from my understanding... We're the only two here that I know of that used to use the old South Ferry station daily too to fully understand why we're against it re-opening.  This is a step backwards for so many reasons, hence why the old one was closed in the first place.  If the station were further away then I could understand but this station is NOT that far away from Rector.  

Guest MTA Bus

People need to realize that they are lucky that they can fix the old loop station so fast and that we have another South Ferry station. So you have to move up for the first 5 cars of the train, DEAL WITH IT !! This is the best we got right now, so people need to learn how to accept whatever is available.

The difference is the crowds in proportion to the amount of space or lack there of... Imagine trying to fit the crowds at Union Square onto a platform that's half the size of the regular platform...? I know the foamers such as yourself think it's great, but it's not practical or safe.  If something ever happened down there I could only imagine the injuries and carnage.  If they're going to re-open it they should try to squeeze in another exit somewhere...  The gap fillers are another issue in and of themselves, but yeah that's another reason too.  That place is a lawsuit waiting to happen IMO and I could see some idiot winning too.

There are plenty of stations in the system that have far greater crowding problems than South Ferry ever did. One of them is just a few blocks away - Wall St. on the 2/3, with a single narrow platform and with very heavy rush hour usage.

And there are going to be two exits - the old exit plus a new passageway into the mezzanine connecting to the R.

The (1) is about 24 TPH, the loop has handled it before, so it won't be an issue.

19 tph, actually.

At least with the old SF reopening, you don't have to deal with the double transfer from the (2)(3) to the (4)(5) nor do the long walk from Rector to the ferry. Just a single ride to the (1) route's southern terminal, just be at the first five cars of the train and you're good.

Except maybe in terrible weather, virtually nobody transferred to the 2/3 and then the 4/5 - the walk through the Fulton St. complex plus the walk from Bowling Green to the ferry terminal is longer than the walk from Rector to the ferry terminal.

There are plenty of stations in the system that have far greater crowding problems than South Ferry ever did. One of them is just a few blocks away - Wall St. on the 2/3, with a single narrow platform and with very heavy rush hour usage.

And there are going to be two exits - the old exit plus a new passageway into the mezzanine connecting to the R.

In that case that should help then and make the situation more tolerable...

The old station only had one exit, right? If so, didn't people say it was built over or otherwise blocked? Yet it isn't, apparently:

4_large.jpg

Thats exactly what i was saying! Untill just before christmas, I used South Ferry almost every other day and saw nothing in its place but a boarded up entrance. I knew i wasnt buggin

Its like a cracked iPhone..The screen may be cracked but still functions well. Sure the Loop SF won't bring back the redundancy and efficiency as the new SF station but at least you got service to SF. So lets not be ungreatful for that.

LOL! People and their comparisons to technology these days...

Its like a cracked iPhone..The screen may be cracked but still functions well. Sure the Loop SF won't bring back the redundancy and efficiency as the new SF station but at least you got service to SF. So lets not be ungreatful for that.

Excellent analogy.

I don't understand why there are people arguing against opening the historic SF loop station.

If somebody doesn't like the station and would rather keep the old SF closed, then he/she can still pretend that the loop station is not there and he/she can keep using the Rector street as his/her "personal" terminal station for lower Manhattan on (1) train.

I don't understand why there are people arguing against opening the historic SF loop station.

If somebody doesn't like the station and would rather keep the old SF closed, then he/she can still pretend that the loop station is not there and he/she can keep using the Rector street as his/her "personal" terminal station for lower Manhattan on (1) train.

Long story short:

Many would prefer having some of the grants allocated to the transit benefits corporation towardsurgently needed  improvements in other infrastructure areas within the transit network. Being that the MTA is a benefits corporation and not a city agency that depends more on collection revenue and are only partially supplied with funds by the federal government and NYS the money available is limited to fund the capital construction budgets (That's even though the MTA's restoration work on both SF stations is actually funded by the federal government.)

On the flip side: Many are all for the reactivation of the SF loop as the new island platform SF station is being rebuilt. It is needed because it is within very proximity to the ferries for commuters from Staten Island for access to, from the other 4 greater boros plus the fact that it will be better in terms of capacity and frequency of trains by the hour (TPH) along the (1) on the East Side 7th Ave IRT. The MTA has set aside several million dollars that is funded, again bey the federal government for financial recovery, granted as a result of Sandy.

For the record I am all for the reactivation of the SF loop. As far as I'm concerned all green lights on this decision by the MTA to reopen the old loop station.

Guest MTA Bus

Well, today is the 3 year anniversary of the last day of service at the South Ferry loop. Just think, a couple weeks from today, it will reopened for service again.

Yes, and I'm not the only one either... LTA is against it too from my understanding... We're the only two here that I know of that used to use the old South Ferry station daily too to fully understand why we're against it re-opening.  This is a step backwards for so many reasons, hence why the old one was closed in the first place.  If the station were further away then I could understand but this station is NOT that far away from Rector.

I have to disagree with your stance on the reopening. Rector is too far away for anyone to actually catch a boat on time. I, for one, am happy they're reopening it. Means I can get to the boat before those doors close. Sure, it may be five cars long, but five cars to the actual terminal is better than 10 cars to Rector with a trainload of people walking up one staircase and it's a shit-ton better than waiting for that damn unreliable as shit R train. You talked about crowding in one of your posts - The way I remember it is that many people didn't even use that station, and when a train left, another one came so quickly, there was barely any crowding (except when a boat came in).

Besides, I liked the loop better because trains would have to leave in a shorter amount of time :P

I have to disagree with your stance on the reopening. Rector is too far away for anyone to actually catch a boat on time. I, for one, am happy they're reopening it. Means I can get to the boat before those doors close. Sure, it may be five cars long, but five cars to the actual terminal is better than 10 cars to Rector with a trainload of people walking up one staircase and it's a shit-ton better than waiting for that damn unreliable as shit R train. You talked about crowding in one of your posts - The way I remember it is that many people didn't even use that station, and when a train left, another one came so quickly, there was barely any crowding (except when a boat came in).

Besides, I liked the loop better because trains would have to leave in a shorter amount of time :P

Well they're adding another exit so that makes it tolerable at least, but I still think that 2 million could be spent on beefing up service on the (1) where possible or beefing up service on another line like the (R).  For the record, Rector St. is a block and a half roughly away from Bowling Green and I've walked from Bowling Green to the Ferry plenty of times.  Let's not exaggerate now...  <_<

I just used Google maps... 10 minute walk tops...

RectorSt_zps3f74143d.png

Well they're adding another exit so that makes it tolerable at least, but I still think that 2 million could be spent on beefing up service on the (1) where possible or beefing up service on another line like the (R).  For the record, Rector St. is a block and a half roughly away from Bowling Green and I've walked from Bowling Green to the Ferry plenty of times.  Let's not exaggerate now...  <_<

The 1 doesn't really need a service increase. It's a frequent line. Now about that R......shit, they just need to get their act together in general. I've walked from Rector to the terminal, but there's one thing you have to remember. Not everyone is a fast walker. While it may take one person 5 minutes, it could take someone else 10 or even 15 minutes. Then you have the rain. and the snow. and very windy 20 degree days. South Ferry is a better option for those in a rush to the boat.

The 1 doesn't really need a service increase. It's a frequent line. Now about that R......shit, they just need to get their act together in general. I've walked from Rector to the terminal, but there's one thing you have to remember. Not everyone is a fast walker. While it may take one person 5 minutes, it could take someone else 10 or even 15 minutes. Then you have the rain. and the snow. and very windy 20 degree days. South Ferry is a better option for those in a rush to the boat.

Oh please... You obviously don't use the (1) on a regular basis.... The (1) is crushloaded from 116th street down... A 10 minute walk never killed anybody and with all of the obese folks walking around here they could use the exercise.  Tons of people walk from Bowling Green which is pretty much the same exact walk that it would be from the (1) minus the block and a half or so from Rector.

That's what's I'm saying. The (R) service is terrible. Oh let me DARE say it, the only hope for that subway service is the reactivation of the (W). How dare me. And supplemental "banker specials" down 4th Ave from Nassau St via tunnel to Dekalb. (The point of the (m ) ) Shame on me.

The (1) service did desperately need a service increase to deal with the mobs of people all the way up the west side of Manhattan, that was why they built the new South Ferry Terminal in the first place. Faster turnarounds, allows for the full 10 car set to enter the station reducing boarding times, which will up the trains per hour. And we still do need an increase in frequency apparently from just alone seeing how crushloaded the trains are. Planners tried to remedy that with the (9) which was a failure historically. That says alot. (As much as the planners did not see the new station meet up exactly to it's expectations)

That's what's I'm saying. The (R) service is terrible. Oh let me DARE say it, the only hope for that subway service is the reactivation of the (W). How dare me. And supplemental "banker specials" down 4th Ave from Nassau St via tunnel to Dekalb. (The point of the (m ) ) Shame on me.

Thats why I thought of extending the (J) down to 95th,so riders from the (D)(N) at 36th and (N) at 59th have a train to take to Bay Ridge,77th,86th and 95th.By the time an (R) comes its skipping BR and 77th because its late.I guess its shame on me too...

Thats why I thought of extending the (J) down to 95th,so riders from the (D)(N) at 36th and (N) at 59th have a train to take to Bay Ridge,77th,86th and 95th.By the time an (R) comes its skipping BR and 77th because its late.I guess its shame on me too...

Historically they also had the < R > service from Nassau via tunnel to 95th street as another attempt at correcting the (R) 's infrequent patterns of service on 4th Ave. OMG we're throwing off the thread. Let's hope Lance does not see these foamistically obscene posts.

Historically they also had the < R > service from Nassau via tunnel to 95th street as another attempt at correcting the (R) 's infrequent patterns of service on 4th Ave. OMG we're throwing off the thread. Let's hope Lance does not see these foamistically obscene posts.

Lol,yeah...

Archived