It's official: South Ferry Loop Platform reopening - No timeline yet, however.

itmaybeokay

I'm thinking this is a new entrance that would lead to the original stairs to the platform, but I'm not sure. This entrance is technically on ferry terminal property, albeit without an exit to the ferry terminal proper because of the new shops mentioned earlier.

Looks like the loop station is going to have two entrances, assuming the connection to the (R) opens.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the old SF loop station continued to exist above the new SF station, how did the old station not be as damaged as the new station?

The answer to your question actually lies in another discussion in another thread on the subject where initially we were asking ourselves the same thing.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39646-retired-south-ferry-station-may-reopen-temporarily/page-9

I'll requote everything here:

I think the only reason the South Ferry Loop is in good condition is because of the construction back then.

It was saved because the new station served as the collection pot for all the water.

Quite the expensive pot!

It probably would have been saved in any case, since the water would have flowed into the Joralemon tube. I do wonder, though, if the damage to the Joralemon tube would have been more severe.

All of the East River tubes were flooded during Sandy, so the water that lower SF took probably would've wrecked the loop and flooded more of the (R) tunnel. Considering that the tubes are all designed to be drained anyways, flooding the tubes and lower SF is certainly preferable than say, flooding the SF/Bowling Green loops or DeKalb or Borough Hall.

Well they're adding another exit so that makes it tolerable at least, but I still think that 2 million could be spent on beefing up service on the (1) where possible or beefing up service on another line like the (R).  For the record, Rector St. is a block and a half roughly away from Bowling Green and I've walked from Bowling Green to the Ferry plenty of times.  Let's not exaggerate now...  <_<

I just used Google maps... 10 minute walk tops...

RectorSt_zps3f74143d.png

Even Greg Mocker said it's 10 minutes walk. I agree old South Ferry Loop should be open temporality.

South Ferry Loop will be safe because there are always "Employees making announcement to step back from platform edge.

I still remember when downtown (5) train I got via 7th Av during weekend G.O., that (5) train made stop at Cortlandt, Rector, South Ferry before resuming uptown service. I also remember when uptown (5) was rerouted to 7th Av line, I remember it made stop at South Ferry, Rector St, Cortlandt St. Maybe not Cortlandt St. 

It's exactly 5 minutes. Speedwalking. Strolling, about 7-10. If you're those who like to run even if you have 15 minutes, 3.

Greg Mocker doesn't walk that distance regularly. In fact, most of you don't so ya'll should stop trying to say why walking to Rector is sooooooo far.

Oh and to VG8, (reading that comment VERY late lol) I'm not against it opening because of the problems the loop has capacity wise, (I've never regularly used the SF loop. I didn't move to SI until 2010.) its the fact that, unlike 90% of the people talking in this topic, I know how close the next (1) station or the (4)(5) is away. Why re-open a station that doesn't have the solutions the new station had, when alternatives with those solutions are a block away? Why? So people save 5 minutes? 5 minutes that would be spent waiting for the ferry? 5 minutes that wouldn't matter if your train is missing the ferry anyway? 5 minutes that would be spent waiting for the train to depart? And you know the best thing? You would normally hear lots of people complaining about this sort of thing. in the ferry terminal. On the buses or trains going to the ferry. NOT ONE COMPLAINT THAT THE SF TERMINAL IS CLOSED. Amazing isn't it?

Even Greg Mocker said it's 10 minutes walk. I agree old South Ferry Loop should be open temporality.

South Ferry Loop will be safe because there are always "Employees making announcement to step back from platform edge.

I still remember when downtown (5) train I got via 7th Av during weekend G.O., that (5) train made stop at Cortlandt, Rector, South Ferry before resuming uptown service. I also remember when uptown (5) was rerouted to 7th Av line, I remember it made stop at South Ferry, Rector St, Cortlandt St. Maybe not Cortlandt St. 

Greg Mocker is not a credible news source.

While this is technically a good thing, this isn't that necessary. Bowling Green is right there. 

It's exactly 5 minutes. Speedwalking. Strolling, about 7-10. If you're those who like to run even if you have 15 minutes, 3.

Greg Mocker doesn't walk that distance regularly. In fact, most of you don't so ya'll should stop trying to say why walking to Rector is sooooooo far.

Oh and to VG8, (reading that comment VERY late lol) I'm not against it opening because of the problems the loop has capacity wise, (I've never regularly used the SF loop. I didn't move to SI until 2010.) its the fact that, unlike 90% of the people talking in this topic, I know how close the next (1) station or the (4)(5) is away. Why re-open a station that doesn't have the solutions the new station had, when alternatives with those solutions are a block away? Why? So people save 5 minutes? 5 minutes that would be spent waiting for the ferry? 5 minutes that wouldn't matter if your train is missing the ferry anyway? 5 minutes that would be spent waiting for the train to depart? And you know the best thing? You would normally hear lots of people complaining about this sort of thing. in the ferry terminal. On the buses or trains going to the ferry. NOT ONE COMPLAINT THAT THE SF TERMINAL IS CLOSED. Amazing isn't it?

THIS^^^^^

I'm thinking this is a new entrance that would lead to the original stairs to the platform, but I'm not sure. This entrance is technically on ferry terminal property, albeit without an exit to the ferry terminal proper because of the new shops mentioned earlier.

Looks like the loop station is going to have two entrances, assuming the connection to the (R) opens.

It leads to a set of stairs that is located right in the middle of the platform. And the connection to the R is being fixed up for service and should be open up the day that the station opens. 

Greg Mocker doesn't walk that distance regularly. In fact, most of you don't so ya'll should stop trying to say why walking to Rector is sooooooo far.

Video: nobody's_complaining.avi

^ I lol'd.

Either way, I'll continue with the (4) and (5). Good to see this station (re)opening soon.

I like it better than the new one with the one destroyed by superstorm sandy I had to walk through street level inhaleing cigarette smoke the old one is completely indoors allowing me to skip the smoke.

You smoke every time you breathe. It's called pollution.

31 seconds in and he already made it seem worse than it was. Hike? Please. This is exactly why Americans are fat as hell. Can't wait to hear what people have to say about the station in the coming weeks. NYers are never satisfied.

^^^It's not about fat lazy Americans! It's about saving time in the walk to Bowling Green or Whitehall when commuting to make appointments or getting to the job. I would imagine that if people coming from the Island and are under time constraints for work or other secular appointments to furfill by a certain time, they would be grateful that you have a South Ferry Station right there within walking distance. I think THAT's the point.

Aside from the fact that the MTA most likely sees potential for making a profit from fare revenue for reopening a station with federal dollars as opposed to paying for this overhaul out of pocket in it's entirety.

^^^It's not about fat lazy Americans! It's about saving time in the walk to Bowling Green or Whitehall when commuting to make appointments or getting to the job. I would imagine that if people coming from the Island and are under time constraints for work or other secular appointments to furfill by a certain time, they would be grateful that you have a South Ferry Station right there within walking distance. I think THAT's the point.

Aside from the fact that the MTA most likely sees potential for making a profit from fare revenue for reopening a station with federal dollars as opposed to paying for this overhaul out of pocket in it's entirety.

No need to explain, some people will just never get it.

Bowling Green isn't a walk. People used it before if they needed the East Side, it's barley half a minute away from the South Ferry entrance. It isn't about lazy Americans, it has to do with politicians trying to garner support by forcing the (MTA) to do something they don't need to do. Notice again, no one was complaining.

Bowling Green isn't a walk. People used it before if they needed the East Side, it's barley half a minute away from the South Ferry entrance. It isn't about lazy Americans, it has to do with politicians trying to garner support by forcing the (MTA) to do something they don't need to do. Notice again, no one was complaining.

Gotcha but every minute counts if you gotta clock in before you're written up for being late. The turnarounds on the loop, the way it's designed cuts on waiting time on the platform. A walk to Bowling Green then praying for a (4) or (5) train to show up without delay can add several minutes particularly if there are delays which happens frequently on a congested line like the IRT Lex. I know you may come up with the counterargument for the IRT 7th Ave which can be a solid arguement but again the issue is the time of the walk plus the unpredictable arrival times @ Bowling Green. 

Meanwhile at the loop the train on the  (1) with it's very frequent headways (24 TPH max?) is right there ready to go. That saves time for the commuter. It doesn't matter if the commuter has a scooter or can tear the fabric of time continuum going to Bowling Green or something from the ferry. Unpredictable delays stemming from bottle-necking from the Brooklyn IRT side or even delays on the (3) in Brooklyn, another reason for delays as then  (2)(4) or (5) trains need to be rerouted on the fly to New Lots to compensate creating further delays has to be considered in rush hour related situations. This sort on on the fly dispatching happens so frequently every day on rush hr particularly on the morning rush and the evening rush I've lost count a long time ago.

Well Threxx, musing over this some more, if that's your observation and conclusions as a dude coming from Brooklyn then I'll go by your observations. Really I depended on the BMT if I'm coming from Brooklyn.

And now I'm in the boggie down so, yeah. But indeed the AM rush was ridiculous back then, but then something came along called FASTRACK.....

Archived