Countdown clocks on the 7 line !

Transitboy

Is times square the only station on the (7) line with these clocks? If so when do you guys believe they'll put up more on the line? These are going to be interesting days :D:D

When CBTC is installed... an ATS system or CBTC is the only way we can track trains like that... at Times Square they can manually enter the data based on dispatching...

Those have been there for a while now.

They've been up for a while, but I believe they only displayed the date and time and called out the time before the next train and when the next train was arriving. Sort of like the "countdown clocks" on Queens Blvd.

Which lines have countdown clocks ? I know that  (1)  (2)  (3)  (4)  (5)  (6)  (L) have it but are there any other lines ?

Not yet!

When CBTC is installed... an ATS system or CBTC is the only way we can track trains like that... at Times Square they can manually enter the data based on dispatching...

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but if CBTC is required to have countdown clocks, what happened to the rest of the IRT? It doesn't have CBTC.

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but if CBTC is required to have countdown clocks, what happened to the rest of the IRT? It doesn't have CBTC.

Like I said... an ATS system. That's what the IRT has.

Well there are those countdown clocks on the 8th Ave. Line from 175th-145th and maybe even further downtown.

Those are manually controlled and aren't a good gauge of the trains. Similar to QBL clocks.

I don't see why CBTC or ATS would be required for countdown clocks.

You just need to know approximatively where train are located.

This is a normal feature for any subway system, if it wasn't the case the signaliing couldn't work. 

The block between the signaling lights are not big, you can approximately calculate the time based on the block where is located the train.

I don't see why CBTC or ATS would be required for countdown clocks.

You just need to know approximatively where train are located.

This is a normal feature for any subway system, if it wasn't the case the signaliing couldn't work. 

The block between the signaling lights are not big, you can approximately calculate the time based on the block where is located the train.

It isn't that simple, our signaling system is much older than you'd think, and it doesn't have the capabilities to do that. The only way to know train locations in the B-Division is to radio the T/O manually.

Even without ATS, there is the capability to have the automated PA announcements of, for example "the next queens-bound train is arriving on the local track" at certain 8th avenue line stations.

I assume these announcements are activated whenever a train enters the last signaling block before the station. I never understood why they don't have these announcements at more stations, since they help reduce the number of idiots peering over the edge of the platform to see where th next train is. 

Even without ATS, there is the capability to have the automated PA announcements of, for example "the next queens-bound train is arriving on the local track" at certain 8th avenue line stations.

I assume these announcements are activated whenever a train enters the last signaling block before the station. I never understood why they don't have these announcements at more stations, since they help reduce the number of idiots peering over the edge of the platform to see where th next train is. 

I could peer down a straight tunnel and see trains from over 2 stations away. What I can't do is tell what train it is. The announcements I find pretty useless unless they announce for trains over a longer distance.

They also have those countdown clocks at 59 St-Columbus Circle on the IND platforms and at 4 Ave-9 Street on the Culver Platforms, last time I checked. They still don't display any information, I bet the one at Times Sq on the (7) will start working once more CBTC work gets done.

(One month away until the R188's...)

They've been up for a while, but I believe they only displayed the date and time and called out the time before the next train and when the next train was arriving. Sort of like the "countdown clocks" on Queens Blvd.

Not yet!

Weren't they running a pilot on 8th Av north of 168th St with some weird, in-house system?

Just a comment,   Kings Highway on the Brighton Line had, at least until the 1970's, a lite board to announce the trains.  It would indicate basically which track a train was going to arrive on when the train left the previous stop. If I remember correctly it was simply activated by a relay circuit off the 3rd rail.  

The circuit I think was a short stretch of 3rd rail on the opposite side of the train that connected to the sign in the station.

The sign I suspect was original to the electricfication of the line. I don't know if it is still there or not nor if it still being used.

Rgds IGN

Most likely, since the rebuilding of the Brighton Line the sign is probably gone. I haven't been down there in a while but the last time I was (2011?) I don't remember seeing anything like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived