Renaming Stations??

Broad St. Belle

Renaming stations, I have a good one

Why not rename..

1. 7th Avenue Station on (B)(Q) 7th Avenue/Flatbush Avenue

2. (7)<7> Willets Point Shea Stadium, to Willets Point.

3. (2)<5> Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn College, just take Brooklyn College out, the (2)(5) don't stop right at Brooklyn College.

4. (A) at Lefferts Boulevard, Ozone Park, it should be Richmond Hill Lefferts Boulevard, Lefferts Blvd is not at Ozone Park, literally.

5. Connect Queens Plaza (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) with Queensboro Plaza (7)<7>(N)(W) and renamed the joint stations Queens County Plaza.

6. (N)(Q)(R)(W) 57th Street and 7 Avenue, should be renamed Central Park South and 7th Avenue (although the station's not actually next to Central Park)

7. Take off the JFK Airport tag off the Howard Beach (A) and Sutphin Boulevard (E)(J)(Z) stations. We know the (A)(E)(J)(Z) don't stop right at the airport, we need another transfer...

And speaking of names, which is the correct spelling. Beverley Road on (Q) or Beverly Road on (2)(5)?

1. acceptable, since there is another 7th avenue on the (B)

2. um no... how bout naming the station in bronx just: 161st Street-River Avenue

3. idk.

4. ok.

5. one: people would say queens borough plaza or simply queens plaza. certain folks (and there are plenty of them) dont even know that each borough is by itself, a county. two: how are you going to physically connect them?

6. then by all means, rename 5th avenue on the (N)(R)(W) to Central Park Zoo-5th Avenue or Grand Army Plaza-5th Avenue (strange sounding as there is another GAP in brooklyn)

7. tourists need to think that they are close.. despite a mile odd distance to the airport.

the mta wants to put in geographical/institutions of importance with the names, such as the PABT and penn and grand central. the diagonal station would be odd by just calling it simply 42nd Street.

i would do this:

how bout none.

Here how the renaming would go if it does happen, not like most of you are thinking and exaggerating.

42nd Street - Disney Times Square

53rd Street/Lexington Avenue - CitiStation

etc etc etc.

Normal name of the station would stay, but just an add on.

And the MTA having a real financial problem is a bunch of bull....

Here how the renaming would go if it does happen, not like most of you are thinking and exaggerating.

42nd Street - Disney Times Square

53rd Street/Lexington Avenue - CitiStation

etc etc etc.

Normal name of the station would stay, but just an add on.

And the MTA having a real financial problem is a bunch of bull....

I still say no to that. Disney Times Square is still horrible. CitiStation as presented there is only a little more palatable. Don't do it.

In the interest of being correct Nevins St, Atlantic Ave, Bergen St, Grand Army Plaza on the (2),(3),(4), and(5) lines are all located on Flatbush Ave. Winthrop St S/B on the (2),(5) has no entrance or exit at Winthrop St. The only entrance/exit is at Parkside Ave. There is still original tile work pointing to the Winthrop St . exit but there hasn't been one since at least 1960, if there ever was one. Also the exit on the other end used to be tiled "to Robinson St", which must have been the original name of the street when the system was opened on Nostrand Ave. Flatbush-Brooklyn College should remain the same because of landmark named and to avoid confusion with the stops I mentioned earlier. Us locals call the area " The Junction " and when a customer asks for Flatbush Ave I ask for an address so I can help them.

• 4 months later...

Speaking of rename subway stations here my choices in no order.

Brooklyn

7th Avenue(:D(Q)New Name-Prospect Heights-7th Avenue

Broadway(G)New Name:Union Avenue & BroadwayThe station is on Union Ave not Broadway.

7th Avenue(F)-New Name-Park Slope-7th Avenue. Although some conductors announce "Park Slope/7th Avenue' the station signs should also add "Park Slope' to it.

86th St®-New Name-Bay Ridge-86th Street

86th St(N)New Name-Gravesend Yards-86th Street or Avenue W-86th Street.

Bronx

Fordham Road(D) New Name-Fordham-188th Street since the 24-hour booth is on 188th Strret not Fordham Road. Keeps the "Fordham' name to avoid confusion.

205th St-(D)new name-Norwood-206th Sts. since the 24-hour booth is on 206th. Also this needs rehab work badly like yesterday.

225th St(1)New Name-225th St-Marble Hill to make it clear it next to the MNRR Marble Hill station.

Queens

Broadway-(N)(W)New Name-South Astoria-Broadway to avoid confusion with the many "Broadways' in the system.

Roosvelt Ave(E)(F)(G)(R)(V)New Name-74th Street-Jackson Heights to make it the same as the (7)line stop to avoid confusion.

Van Wyck blvd & Queens Blvd.(E)(F)-New Name-Main St-Briarwood since the 24-hour booth is on Main St side not the Van Wyck.

Jamaica-Van Wyck-(E)New Name-Van Wyck & Jamaica Hosptial.

Willets Point-Shea Stadium(7)New Name-Flushing Meadows-Willets Point since it includes the new Citifield and the Ashe-Billie Jean King Tennis Center.

What you guys think?

Your Brooklyn Choices:

1. I can't think of anything better, so yes.

2. Sounds ok, because the (G) has many stations that are dual-named.

3. Agreed.

4. We'd have to rename 95th St to 95th St-Fort Hamilton on the LCD signs of the R46, but I think this can work out.

Bronx:

1. Isn't the (D) near Fordham Plaza? Why not add Plaza to your suggestion?

2. Agreed. Not that big of a change that it'll throw people off, but that's a lot of rollsigns to redo over one number.

3. I think it's already named Marble Hill-225th St. The station signs don't reflect that, but the conductors and the strip maps do.

Queens:

1. I always refer to this station as B'way-31 St, since the line is over 31st St, but I think your suggestion is better.

2. I'd actually keep this one as Roosevelt Av, because people do know that the (7) is over Roosevelt Av.

3. Agreed. Change Jamaica-Van Wyck while we're at it to some sort of Metropolitan Av or something.

4. I don't know about Shea. There needs to be a consensus on this one IMO.

Queens

Roosvelt Ave(E)(F)(G)(R)(V)New Name-74th Street-Jackson Heights to make it the same as the (7)line stop to avoid confusion.

Willets Point-Shea Stadium(7)New Name-Flushing Meadows-Willets Point since it includes the new Citifield and the Ashe-Billie Jean King Tennis Center.

What you guys think?

2. I'd actually keep this one as Roosevelt Av, because people do know that the (7) is over Roosevelt Av.

4. I don't know about Shea. There needs to be a consensus on this one IMO.

2. Agree with 1991

4. I'd actually like to see the Blvd. back in the name, as it's Willets Point Blvd., not the Willets Point area... and I'd probably just keep it as Willets Point Blvd-CitiField, but Flushing Meadows doesn't sound too bad.

Speaking of rename subway stations here my choices in no order.

Brooklyn

7th Avenue(:D(Q)New Name-Prospect Heights-7th Avenue

Broadway(G)New Name:Union Avenue & BroadwayThe station is on Union Ave not Broadway.

7th Avenue(F)-New Name-Park Slope-7th Avenue. Although some conductors announce "Park Slope/7th Avenue' the station signs should also add "Park Slope' to it.

86th St®-New Name-Bay Ridge-86th Street

86th St(N)New Name-Gravesend Yards-86th Street or Avenue W-86th Street.

Bronx

Fordham Road(D) New Name-Fordham-188th Street since the 24-hour booth is on 188th Strret not Fordham Road. Keeps the "Fordham' name to avoid confusion.

205th St-(D)new name-Norwood-206th Sts. since the 24-hour booth is on 206th. Also this needs rehab work badly like yesterday.

225th St(1)New Name-225th St-Marble Hill to make it clear it next to the MNRR Marble Hill station.

Queens

Broadway-(N)(W)New Name-South Astoria-Broadway to avoid confusion with the many "Broadways' in the system.

Van Wyck blvd & Queens Blvd.(E)(F)-New Name-Main St-Briarwood since the 24-hour booth is on Main St side not the Van Wyck.

Jamaica-Van Wyck-(E)New Name-Van Wyck & Jamaica Hosptial.

What you guys think?

Brooklyn:

1. Yeah, because there are 2 7th Avenues on the (B), but the C/R will probably still call it 7th Avenue, despite your proposed amendments.

2. I'll probably leave it alone. The station crosses Broadway while running under Union Avenue.

3. Makes sense.

4. Having a Bay Ridge suffix sounds great, however for the (N), I would say Gravesend- 86th Street.

Bronx

1. No, despite the location of the station entrance, having Fordham Road as the name is more appropriate and to avoid confusion. As a passenger, Fordham Rd seems more attractable than say 188th.

2. I would simply rename it Norwood-Bainbridge Avenue.The station is on Bainbridge Avenue and it is in the Norwood community.

3. Agreed.

Queens

1. No, despite the fact that there are a lot of Broadways, it would probably be more logical to leave it as Broadway. People will still continue to remember it as Broadway. Like, where did South Astoria turn up from?

2. Leave it as it is.

3. Yes, I would just call it Main Street-Briarwood.

4. I would say change it to Metropolitan Blvd-Van Wyck Blvd., since the station is actually on Metropolitan Ave than Jamaica Ave.

5. No opinion.

If they do rename some stations, heres some tey could Change:

Chambers Street(J)(M)(Z):- Civic Center (J)(M)(Z)

Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall(4)(5)(6):- Brooklyn Bridge(4)(5)(6)

Sutphin Blvd-JFK(J)(Z):- Sutphin Blvd. (J)(Z)

Howard Beach-JFK Airport(A):-JFK Airport(A)

Marcy Avenue(J)(M)(Z):-Williamsburg Bridge Plaza(J)(M)(Z)

1. Makes sense. I would do Chambers Street-Civic Centre though.

2. The station was originally called Brooklyn Bridge. The City Hall appendage was added in the 1990's after the reconstruction. And plus, the station in a way replaced the defunct City Hall Station on the loop which was close to it. So it kind of does make sense to have the appendage.

3. LOL. Yeah I would seriously stick to Sutphin Blvd/Archer. Although there is a connection to Airtrain, that is just completely wrong. It is just as good as renaming 125th Street on the IND to 125th Street-LaGuardia Airport, simply because the M60 to the airport stops there.

4. It is not geographically close to the Airport. It would be just as misleading as the Airport Station on the MBTA Blue Line. At that Airport Station, passengers are ferried via shuttle bus to Logan Int'l Airport.

5. No, Williamsburg Bridge Plaza is at the entrance to the Bridge. The station is away from it. Marcy Avenue makes much more sense.

I agree with you bro on a few name changes.

I agree with the Marcy Ave idea. Instead i would just call it this.

"Marcy Ave-Williamsburg". The station is located on Marcy Ave so that street name should stay. The Willie B bus plaza is 1-2 block walk away.

Disagree

"Howard Beach" being renamed JFK airport. Most of The airline terminals are at least 2 miles away so it would mislead to mainly tourists to stay that.

I agree with the TA on this to call this station "Howard Beach-JFK" but not the Supthin/Archer station on the "E and J" on adding "JFK airport.'

Hm, yeah, no, sponsorship renaming is not a good idea.

"Ely Avenue. This is a Manhattan bound (E) train. The next stop is Citistation."

Well, maybe they could rename some stations according to the Landmark there under.

Example's: Lexington Avenue-53 St.(E)(V) could be renamed Citicorp Center.

Marcy Avenue could be renamed Marcy Ave.-Bridge Plaza(J)(M)(Z)

3rd Avwenue-149 Street could be renamed The Hub(2)(5)

66 Street-Lincon center could do without tle 66th Street.

59 Street-Columbus Circle could do without the 59 Street, or they could name it Time Warner Center.

7th Avenue (B)(Q) Should be 7th Avenue/Flatbush Avenue

7th Avenue (F) doesn't have to be changed, cause the (F) already has a station which has 9th street in the name (Smith/9th)

Grand Army Plaza (2)(3) should be renamed Plaza Street West because it's not physically in Grand Army Plaza

I think Carroll Street (F)(G) should be renamed 2nd Place cause thats where the main entrance is

I cant think of any others at the moment.

Well, maybe they could rename some stations according to the Landmark there under.

Example's: Lexington Avenue-53 St.(E)(V) could be renamed Citicorp Center.

Marcy Avenue could be renamed Marcy Ave.-Bridge Plaza(J)(M)(Z)

3rd Avwenue-149 Street could be renamed The Hub(2)(5)

66 Street-Lincon center could do without tle 66th Street.

59 Street-Columbus Circle could do without the 59 Street, or they could name it Time Warner Center.

I can't see those happening though. Simply because there's a landmark there doesn't mean that it's going to be any easier for people to get around. People might even get confused if they're not paying attention. Having the cross-streets there are more helpful than building names.

86th St (R) should be 86th St-4th Av to avoid confusion with (1)(4)(5)(6)'s 86th St, well as 59th St Brooklyn into 59th St-4th Av.

72nd St (:D© should be 72nd St-CPW.

7th Av (:D(D)(E) should follow same method (E)/(V) use like 53rd St/7th Av

57th St on (F) become 57th St-6th Av because R-160 (N)(W)(Q) announce 57th St-7th Av

Myrtle Av on (J)(M)(Z) should be Myrtle Av-Broadway to avoid confusion with (L)'s Myrtle Av.

Also Grand St (:)(D) and (L) should be renamed.

Ok, here's a few ideas...

1. Dyckman St to Dyckman-200 Sts.

2. Woodlawn to Woodlawn-Jerome Av (they have it already on R62 roolsigns)

3. 207 St on the (1) to 207 St-10 Av

4. 59 St-Cloumbus Circle to just Columbus Circle

5. 50 St on the ©/(E) to 50 St-8 Av

6. Canal St on the (A)/©/(E) to Canal St-Holland Tunnel

7. 125 St on the Lex to 125 St-Lexington Av

8. Chambers St on the (J)/(M) to Chambers St-Brooklyn Bridge

9. Gates Av on the (J) to Gates Av-Quincy St

10. Chauncey St to Chauncey St-Rockaway Av

11. Rename Broadway Junction on the BMT back to Eastern Parkway

I can't see those happening though. Simply because there's a landmark there doesn't mean that it's going to be any easier for people to get around. People might even get confused if they're not paying attention. Having the cross-streets there are more helpful than building names.

BUT, Some people dont know where the building they are going to is, so it could help.

Ok, here's a few ideas...

1. Dyckman St to Dyckman-200 Sts.

2. Woodlawn to Woodlawn-Jerome Av (they have it already on R62 roolsigns)

3. 207 St on the (1) to 207 St-10 Av

4. 59 St-Cloumbus Circle to just Columbus Circle

5. 50 St on the ©/(E) to 50 St-8 Av

6. Canal St on the (A)/©/(E) to Canal St-Holland Tunnel

7. 125 St on the Lex to 125 St-Lexington Av

8. Chambers St on the (J)/(M) to Chambers St-Brooklyn Bridge

9. Gates Av on the (J) to Gates Av-Quincy St

10. Chauncey St to Chauncey St-Rockaway Av

11. Rename Broadway Junction on the BMT back to Eastern Parkway

Of this list i only really disagree with renaming the (A)(C)(J)(L)East NY station back to "eastern parkway. "That station enterence has ong closed and that superstation complex is actually on Fulton St/Van Sindren.

IMO either name of "Broadway Jct" or East NY-Bway Jct" is what that station should be called.

BUT, Some people dont know where the building they are going to is, so it could help.

The fact that some people don't know where those buildings are is going to confuse them. For example, I've never heard of The Hub before. If I'm looking to get to, say, somewhere on 151 St, where am I going to get off?

By inference it would logically be "The Hub", but having the street names there makes it a lot easier.

Plus what happens if the station is not within sight distance of said landmarks?

Archived