B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

I paseed today on day 9 good luck yall. Just follow everything they say and you should be fine. And remember it's training so just drive sloe slow slow. Watch those mirrors every 3-5 seconds and keep your 4-5 feet on right side. I had Pena for first 7 days and then Quarless for 8 and 9 and they're both amazing.

Congratz

Edited by bonilla1987

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my permit. I contemplated a long time about getting it. I was very confident in my driving skills and ability to learn things very quickly from has on training. There are people with license going to day 10 and some that have failed in the past trying again. I took the chance to learn the MTA way and did great.

Not to sound cocky but I am confident that with this training with MTA the DMV is a breeze.

I paseed today on day 9 good luck yall. Just follow everything they say and you should be fine. And remember it's training so just drive sloe slow slow. Watch those mirrors every 3-5 seconds and keep your 4-5 feet on right side.

I had Pena for first 7 days and then Quarless for 8 and 9 and they're both amazing.

congrats

Great information. TY. I'm guessing day 1 is paperwork or class orientation. Anyone know the days and what is expecting each day?

You're welcome. As far as what to expect each day:

Day 0 (usually on a Monday): Orientation @ Zerega, receive your passes (after lunch), watch videos, etc.

Day 1: Basic turning, mirror setting, forward planning (on a quiet side street)

Day 2: Tight turns

Day 3: Bus stops, backing up and parking

Day 4: Elevated Pillars

Day 5: Upper Manhattan

Day 6: Lower Manhattan

Day 7: Evaluation in the outer boroughs (no set location)

Day 8: Different Instructor - review of mistakes (no set location)

**Day 9: Upper Manhattan (Harlem Area) - no further South than 86th Street**

Day 10: With TWO Instructors - Bronx

**Like it has been mentioned earlier, 75% of the students qualify on Day 9, which involves straight driving, no pre-trip, no parallel parking, no backing up, however there are bus stops included.**

In addition, when I went in February 2014, we did not do the simulator @ Zerega.

I paseed today on day 9 good luck yall.

Congrats!!

I have my permit. I contemplated a long time about getting it. I was very confident in my driving skills and ability to learn things very quickly from has on training. There are people with license going to day 10 and some that have failed in the past trying again. I took the chance to learn the MTA way and did great.

Not to sound cocky but I am confident that with this training with MTA the DMV is a breeze.

From my perspective and/or opinion, it's a mental issue...even as I drive the shuttle bus on a regular basis, I try to incorporate what I learned back in 2014 on a regular basis, especially after 8 PM when there aren't as many people & vehicles on the road.

Edited by +Young+

Congrats to you all that qualified on day 7 and 9. Whatever you were thought always use the skills when you're out there on line training. Everything they showed us play a role in real time. Understanding your mirrors, the bus sizes, using your reference points, and forward planning plays a good role when you're out there doing passenger service.

This Upcoming Wednesday my class and I will graduate and it feels good. Just have to beat the 1 year probation.

My day 10 folks, GOOD LUCK. Whatever mistakes you were doing, just correct it.

Hi Everyone! I am happy to say that I qualified yesterday on Day 9 !

Congratulations sergio1221 and to everyone in the 10/31/2016 class that qualified on Day 7, 9 and who WILL qualify on Day 10. Don't be too nervous, call out everything and scan your mirrors.

Best advice for everybody going in on Monday:

- Don't bring coffee/drinks/food into the classroom.

- LISTEN to instructions.

- Do NOT be late, on time is late - I planned to be an hour early to all my assignments and two days, I literally slid in with minutes to spare.

- If you drove before, you have to drive the way your instructor wants - including mirror setups!

- Do bring a copy of the pre-employment application (the 4 page form you initially got in the mail, if you didn't make a copy - don't worry, just write down the dates and places of employment for the past 3 years, dates/locations of accidents within the past three years and know dates of conviction of ALL convictions traffic and criminal. Bring this everyday until you qualify. You will be filling out multiple, redundant Article 19-A forms throughout the week.

- Qualifying on Days 6&7, Day 9 or Day 10 is still QUALIFYING! 

- Support and encourage your co-workers on your bus!! You have a job waiting for you and so does everyone on your bus - this is not a competition! Give them feedback. Keep the positivity.

Just a note, the 10/31/2016 class had people from TA Exam 2613 in it, they get to pick before any of us 4600 folks.

Edited by 161NewYork

Congratulations sergio1221 and to everyone in the 10/31/2016 class that qualified on Day 7, 9 and who WILL qualify on Day 10. Don't be too nervous, call out everything and scan your mirrors.

- Do NOT be late, on time is late - I planned to be an hour early to all my assignments and two days, I literally slid in with minutes to spare.

- If you drove before, you have to drive the way your instructor wants - including mirror setups!

- Do bring a copy of the pre-employment application (the 4 page form you initially got in the mail, if you didn't make a copy - don't worry, just write down the dates and places of employment for the past 3 years, dates/locations of accidents within the past three years and know dates of conviction of ALL convictions traffic and criminal. Bring this everyday until you qualify. You will be filling out multiple, redundant Article 19-A forms throughout the week.

- Support and encourage your co-workers on your bus!! You have a job waiting for you and so does everyone on your bus - this is not a competition! Give them feedback. Keep the positivity.

Just a note, the 10/31/2016 class had people from TA Exam 2613 in it, they get to pick before any of us 4600 folks.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

You are absolutely right about encouraging your fellow mates in your class. Give pointers to each other is a plus. Even while you're in line training its ok to continue giving pointers.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

You are absolutely right about encouraging your fellow mates in your class. Give pointers to each other is a plus. Even while you're in line training its ok to continue giving pointers.

Guys when usay line training what exactly is that if ya dont mind me asking.. is it like a second training that u got to pass or thats just showing ya the route ya got to do?

Congratulations sergio1221 and to everyone in the 10/31/2016 class that qualified on Day 7, 9 and who WILL qualify on Day 10. Don't be too nervous, call out everything and scan your mirrors.

Congrats and good advice!!

Guys when usay line training what exactly is that if ya dont mind me asking.. is it like a second training that u got to pass or thats just showing ya the route ya got to do?

Long story short: That's when you go on the road with another Bus Operator to show you the different routes. Out of the first depot that you're assigned, it's for four weeks. However, if you transfer to another depot, it's only for three days.

Long story short: That's when you go on the road with another Bus Operator to show you the different routes. Out of the first depot that you're assigned, it's for four weeks. However, if you transfer to another depot, it's only for three days.

Oh ok thats what i though thanks for ur respond bro i appreciate it ...

Note: If you are heading to Staten Island, you will learn the entire Island's worth of routes.

Congrats to everyone who qualified! Hardest part is over with. Going forward, please be early to wherever you need to be. If there's a hardship, please speak up to management or your union now as opposed to later.

Going shopping for my clothes now. Is the pass your given only for to and from work while in uniform?

sent from my note4

No. you can use the pass anytime u want. Just don't let anyone else use it or you will be fired.

No. you can use the pass anytime u want. Just don't let anyone else use it or you will be fired.

Right. Also that pass identify you as an Employee for transit. That pass must be with you at all time. When you are off duty its best to keep it in your wallet. Without that pass you wont be able to walk in any transit facilities. Also if you have the transit vest or stickers display on the vehicle dash and a police officer pulls you over and sees the vest or stickers, Majority of the time he/she will ask to see your Transit ID.

Can shirts have a pocket? The admission letter says plain light blue shirts but I'm thinking they mean no logos or anything like that.

Yes. If you're familiar with the term "dress shirt" - it's the exact same thing. Just make sure it's light blue.