B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

I hear everyone talking about medical and any issues ...now I am a liver transplant patient ...I was 3 years old when that happened and I am 26 today...I have not been on medications for 15 years about. Do u think that would bring an issue with the medical? Being that I'm not on medication and am generally healthy. I kno no one is a doctor I'm just curious as to weather anyone THINKS it would present a concern with the TA physician even if everything checks out...thanks

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear everyone talking about medical and any issues ...now I am a liver transplant patient ...I was 3 years old when that happened and I am 26 today...I have not been on medications for 15 years about. Do u think that would bring an issue with the medical? Being that I'm not on medication and am generally healthy. I kno no one is a doctor I'm just curious as to weather anyone THINKS it would present a concern with the TA physician even if everything checks out...thanks

Since this happened when you were 3 years old and you're not on medication now, I wouldn't mention it. If you do, make sure you have a note from your PCP (Primary Care Physician) indicating that you're 100% okay, otherwise you may be placed on Medical Hold.

Since this happened when you were 3 years old and you're not on medication now, I wouldn't mention it. If you do, make sure you have a note from your PCP (Primary Care Physician) indicating that you're 100% okay, otherwise you may be placed on Medical Hold.

You see it sounds good to not mention it but it just so happens I have this huge scar across my stomach almost like a CROSS but without the bottom part....anyway I don't think I can hide that but then again I don't know how thorough the check they do on you.

You see it sounds good to not mention it but it just so happens I have this huge scar across my stomach almost like a CROSS but without the bottom part....anyway I don't think I can hide that but then again I don't know how thorough the check they do on you.

The TA physicians will have you change into a gown in order to check your lungs and to carefully examine you while doing some minor movements (like squatting). If that's the case, tell them, and I would bring a note just to be on the safe side.

Has anyone from 4600 received any results for the boss exam?

No results yet. 4600 has to wait till the remainder that did not take the BOSS to be schedule to take it before they can provide the list and results.

No results yet. 4600 has to wait till the remainder that did not take the BOSS to be schedule to take it before they can provide the list and results.

I'm sure it will be by spring till we hear about the remainders date to come take the boss.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the process of finishing up the exams for the CDL permit and had a question.

Per the information within other posts, I will apply for the CDL Permit and check the box Excepted Interstate (EI) - (Age 18 or older; operate/expect to operate Excepted Operation Only, must have A3 restriction). The A3 restriction waives the medical requirement as the MTA will do this for us.

http://dmv.ny.gov/commercial-drivers/cdl-medical-certification-requirements

As I plan to take private CDL lessons (and probably obtain the CDL license) before *hopefully* getting called to the MTA, would the A3 restriction prevent me from getting private lessons (and the license)?

Thanks!

Also - I wanted to say, I started the process at the Midtown DMV and they are VERY efficient. You'll take the exams before doing the paperwork. I did one exam the other day and I was in and out in 15 minutes. Whereas the Staten Island DMV was a zoo (I took one look and left). Hopefully, early next week i'll be done. :)

Edited by 161passenger

I have just joined this site because there's a lot of great information in these forums. I took the Exam 4600 and kept record of my answers. After they released the answer key I found out I have a 100! But with reading some of the posts here, some people say that the MTA would chose a person with a score of 70 over a 100....is this true and why? Also I took the BOSS exam last October and not sure how I did but confident I provided answers they would want to hear. I have not received anything new from the MTA regarding the test and would like to know if its a good idea to take any tests they have even though I took the 4600. I also do not have a CDL permit yet and would like to know how I should begin and if anyone knows a good driving school where I can begin lessons as I have my regular license. Currently I have a Class D drivers license and recently found out I need to change it to a Class E for the CDL so I will be doing that soon. Also does anyone know how long it would take for the MTA to start calling for this exam?? Thank you for any answers you guys provide and hope everyone is doing well.

I am in the process of finishing up the exams for the CDL permit and had a question.

Per the information within other posts, I will apply for the CDL Permit and check the box Excepted Interstate (EI) - (Age 18 or older; operate/expect to operate Excepted Operation Only, must have A3 restriction). The A3 restriction waives the medical requirement as the MTA will do this for us.

http://dmv.ny.gov/commercial-drivers/cdl-medical-certification-requirements

As I plan to take private CDL lessons (and probably obtain the CDL license) before *hopefully* getting called to the MTA, would the A3 restriction prevent me from getting private lessons (and the license)?

Thanks!

Also - I wanted to say, I started the process at the Midtown DMV and they are VERY efficient. You'll take the exams before doing the paperwork. I did one exam the other day and I was in and out in 15 minutes. Whereas the Staten Island DMV was a zoo (I took one look and left). Hopefully, early next week i'll be done. :)

The A3 restriction would not prevent you from getting your lessons and the license, however the MTA might not allow it. I would first call HR to check this before you actually doing it. Having the medical certificate is actually not a big deal at all - just sometimes annoying.

As far as DMV - I understand where you are coming from. For those that live in Queens, the Whitestone DMV is a zoo, but the Jamaica DMV is not (at least in my opinion)

I have just joined this site because there's a lot of great information in these forums. I took the Exam 4600 and kept record of my answers. After they released the answer key I found out I have a 100! But with reading some of the posts here, some people say that the MTA would chose a person with a score of 70 over a 100....is this true and why? Also I took the BOSS exam last October and not sure how I did but confident I provided answers they would want to hear. I have not received anything new from the MTA regarding the test and would like to know if its a good idea to take any tests they have even though I took the 4600. I also do not have a CDL permit yet and would like to know how I should begin and if anyone knows a good driving school where I can begin lessons as I have my regular license. Currently I have a Class D drivers license and recently found out I need to change it to a Class E for the CDL so I will be doing that soon. Also does anyone know how long it would take for the MTA to start calling for this exam?? Thank you for any answers you guys provide and hope everyone is doing well.

Welcome to the NYCTransitforum, A score of an 100 means that your list number will be lower and quicker to be called in when they finally establish the list. The passing score is 70%, The lower the score, the higher your list number will be.

At this time 4600 list has not been establish yet, especially since we still have a majority of candidates that passed the written exam was not  scheduled to take the BOSS exam past October 2014. Once every candidate has successfully taken the BOSS for 4600, they will release the list number to the candidates who pass both written and BOSS. In my opinion, Since Bus Operator Exam 2613 list is the current TA that they're hiring from and they are almost through that list according to the thread "Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions" (which you can follow to receive updates and etc) I believe by May and June, the remainder candidates for 4600 will be schedule to take the BOSS. From there the list will be fully establish.

While you're waiting, you can study and get the CDL Permit and its up to you whether or not to get the Full License on your own or wait for MTA. According to others who has went through training before on this thread, its probably best to get the license on your own. What you will need is Class B or A with Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsements. You can find more information by viewing Thread Bus Operator Exam 2613 Question and many others.

While you're waiting, you can study and get the CDL Permit and its up to you whether or not to get the Full License on your own or wait for MTA. According to others who has went through training before on this thread, its probably best to get the license on your own. What you will need is Class B or A with Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsements. You can find more information by viewing Thread Bus Operator Exam 2613 Question and many others.

According to the notice of examination (http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf), you need minimum a Class B license with Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement. Class A is if you're interested in driving a tractor trailer.

I'm new to the site as well. A lot of good information has been shared. I've read in past posts that if you didn't get a letter from the BOSS exam thus far, most likely you passed. How true is that? Another question I have is what is the average biweekly pay once you start and do you get paid during training?

I'm new to the site as well. A lot of good information has been shared. I've read in past posts that if you didn't get a letter from the BOSS exam thus far, most likely you passed. How true is that? Another question I have is what is the average biweekly pay once you start and do you get paid during training?

Well, from experience (since I took the B/O exam 2613 and failed the 10-day training), I took the BOSS exam for the 2613 test, initially. Before I know it, I did get a letter close to 5 months later, telling me to report to 180 Livingston Street for processing. 

You do get paid during training. The average bi-weekly pay varies on several things. One of the things is the rate you get paid per hour, which might change as time evolves. The second thing is how much $$ gets taken out for taxes - if you're single, married, how many children you have, if you decide to let them take out extra $$ for your federal, state or city income taxes, etc. From my experience, it's at least a thousand dollars.

On 3/21/2015 at 3:53 PM, stepurgameup said:

@youngnycsubwayfan. If you don't mind telling Why did you fail at day 10th day training?

Well from Days 1 to 7 I had a "Scumbag" Superintendent/Instructor out of the Flatbush Depot. Not only did he not wear his seat belt, but he also ran a red light as well! I did write a very nasty letter to Zerega shortly afterwards saying that they were going to take appropriate action. Let's just say that I'll believe it when I see it.

Day 9 I almost hit a person who was an idiot who walked right in front of the bus while servicing a bus stop.

I'm not going to even talk about Day 10, since the "scumbag" Superintendent/Instructor was one of them, in addition to a nasty African-American Superintendent who was from the MTA Bus Company, who approached me in the cafeteria @ 8:30 AM asking me if I was ready to go, when the Day 8 & 9 Superintendent said 9 AM.

Edited by +Young+

Everytime i hear youngnyc's story it really pisses me off because i could totally see it happening to anybody with bad luck. Its so unfortunate that it happened to one of the best members on this forum

I agree NycGamer, unfortunately in every organization you will encounter individuals with very different personalities, work ethics and sadly agendas. We all know more or less what we are "getting in to" as we pursue this line of work. The only thing I can recommend in everyone's day-to-day is to treat everyone fairly and leave work at work (except when networking/helping others out here ;) ).