B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got 3 wrong from the 12/14/13 PM exam session.

*Remember there were 4 different sessions for this exam.

AM and PM on 12/14/13

AM and PM for 12/15/13.

All 4 session have different answer(s) according to the answer sheet. So if there was any contesting taking place, it would be for what exam session you were schedule to take the exam on those following dates and time zones.

Edited by DueceDrives

In comparison to my candidate's personal record of answers to the proposed answer key for the Saturday AM session, I incorrectly answered question 13. However, that was not the question that was bothersome to me as I recorded answers that I was confident on in upper-case and those that were not in lower-case. Answer to question thirteen was recorded in upper-case to my surprise.

Can I be disqualified if I have high blood pressure or diabetes?

You will have to go to Medical, in which you will have a consultation with a doctor. If you get proper documentation stating that this is under control, you should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

@busman: Anyone get any boss exam results: (unable to quote for whatever reason)

My response:  From my experience with B/O exam 2613, if you passed this test, you will not be notified. Instead, your name will be placed on the list. If you failed, you will get a letter from 180 Livingston Street indicating such.

Hey Guys,

New to this post.  Does anyone know what number they are on with the 2613 list?  I took the 4600 exam and was just wondering how long it will take for the 4600 list to be released.

Well, according to page 464 of that thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-464) they were up to the 2100's by the first week of January. Therefore, since it took the HR Dept. approximately a year to get to the half-way point. If this holds true for the remainder of the 2613 list, which means that the list would be finished by late October/early November, then in my prediction, we should get our list numbers by late summer/early fall.

Well, according to page 464 of that thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-464) they were up to the 2100's by the first week of January. Therefore, since it took the HR Dept. approximately a year to get to the half-way point. If this holds true for the remainder of the 2613 list, which means that the list would be finished by late October/early November, then in my prediction, we should get our list numbers by late summer/early fall.

According to a recent post in the Exam 2613 thread, they are up to  24**, so between 2400 - 2499 out of approximately 3600 candidates, so about 67% of the way done. 

Let's see what happens in March 2015 where they are at, that will give us a better picture. My thinking is that they should be finishing up with those who initially deferred and those who are clarifying medical/legal issues. Further, I believe that they'll run through the remainder of the candidates quite quickly, especially if there are a high number of retirees and those who moved on to other city/state jobs or jobs within the (MTA) . 

Edited by 161passenger

According to a recent post in the Exam 2613 thread, they are up to  24**, so between 2400 - 2499 out of approximately 3600 candidates, so about 67% of the way done. 

Let's see what happens in March 2015 where they are at, that will give us a better picture. My thinking is that they should be finishing up with those who initially deferred and those who are clarifying medical/legal issues. Further, I believe that they'll run through the remainder of the candidates quite quickly, especially if there are a high number of retirees and those who moved on to other city/state jobs or jobs within the (MTA) . 

I would think the opposite that the pace would slow down. They have hired a ton of drivers over the last year, probably close to 1000.  IMO after 2613 is done 4613 will take awhile like the prior TA test before 2613. I hope that is not the case though as my brother took 4600. These old timers on the job just do not want to retire !! No incentive too, their runs are awesome..work 2 hours..off for 5 hours..work for 2 hours..who has it better than them? Some move up ranks to become dispatcher but they dont really leave for other city/state jobs as they already have there seniority and pay rate built up, new job would mean starting all over. 

I would think the opposite that the pace would slow down. They have hired a ton of drivers over the last year, probably close to 1000.  IMO after 2613 is done [4600] will take awhile like the prior TA test before 2613. I hope that is not the case though as my brother took 4600. These old timers on the job just do not want to retire !! No incentive too, their runs are awesome..work 2 hours..off for 5 hours..work for 2 hours..who has it better than them? Some move up ranks to become dispatcher but they dont really leave for other city/state jobs as they already have there seniority and pay rate built up, new job would mean starting all over. 

I'm largely referring to those who are on this list or those who recently joined the MTA; many people, including myself take several civil service tests. Some may not like the job, but take it anyway as they need employment, but will take the NYPD/FDNY or another job within transit (train operator, etc.) if called.

You are absolutely correct, eventually the pace will slow down as the average employee years of service decreases due to recent onboarding of new staff. Also, as mentioned, broadly economically, costs within the past ten years (housing, tuition, retirements everything else) has increased dramatically, which means that people will be working longer.

Also, looking at it this way, a candidate was in training for Exam 2613 at list number 2100 in early January 2015 and it's early February 2015 and they are at least up to 2499! As long as anyone who wants the job is given a chance, I'm fine, it will be our turn soon.. :)

Hey guys I had a more general question. Ok so when I started the mta process I was living in one place and I moved and my father recieved the letter for the BOSS but I also received a phone call for the BOSS. Now I went on the mta site and did an address change to my current address and sent it to the email provided me. Now the question is how do I know if it was updated to my new address? Is there somewhere I can call to see if the address they have is my current one?