B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this list is going to be very long. Wondering where I would be on the list with 3 wrong on the test. Anyway bottom line is I wiuld be on it lol. I wish good luck to all taking BOSS SURVEY in May. Go gettem

Me too..... But we can compare the track worker list 3600 just to get an idea according to what people scored in the 100's and where their list number were in the range of.

I strongly believe by late 2015 they might start the 4600 process. Hopefully there's no hiring freeze by then.

Awesome...4600 is on the move!

I got 4 wrong of this test, does this put me in the mix?

Everybody who scored a passing score (( 70 )) will be in the mix :-)   Its all about where you are place on the list. the higher your score, the better chance you have getting called sooner when they start the process.

Sure technically speaking everyone who passed with a 70 and over is "in the mix" but MTA wont hire everyone. Realistically speakin, those who get a perfect score or close to it will only be reached on the list, considered, hired or DQ.

with 4 questioms wrong im im not sure MTA will go that far down the list...any thoughts?

The list will go tru the full 4 years because it was a very easy test. I feel like who ever didnt get at least an 90% wont get called. The only somewhat hard part of the test was the map questions and if you took your time you can figure them out

IMHO, you're getting too far ahead of yourself...we just have to be patient for the list to come out. Say for example, most of the people who scored above a 90 either failed the BOSS test or failed the first drug test...these two things can influence the rest of the list in a positive way.

Me too..... But we can compare the track worker list 3600 just to get an idea according to what people scored in the 100's and where their list number were in the range of.

You can compare the Track Worker 3600 list, however keep in mind they are two different positions, including the fact that for Track Workers, they hold a class "as necessary", while for Bus Operators, it is usually every 2 weeks...

Sure technically speaking everyone who passed with a 70 and over is "in the mix" but MTA wont hire everyone. Realistically speakin, those who get a perfect score or close to it will only be reached on the list, considered, hired or DQ.

Don't jump to conclusions too early...like I said, let's wait for the list to come out and take it from there...

with 4 questioms wrong im im not sure MTA will go that far down the list...any thoughts?

It will all depends on how many candidates makes it on the list. If its a long list, they will use it for 4 years. 

Thanks for the replies..for anyone on the job right now if you dont mind me asking, how is the job overall? Do you ladies and gentlemen like it? Hows the pay? Able to afford a home etc etc? Would appreciate an overall glance at the profession and get a better idea of whats it like to be a bus operator!!

Thanks! !!

Edited by MTAhopeful1

Thanks for the replies..for anyone on the job right now if you dont mind me asking, how is the job overall? Do you ladies and gentlemen like it? Hows the pay? Able to afford a home etc etc? Would appreciate an overall glance at the profession and get a better idea of whats it like to be a bus operator!!

Thanks! !!

See some posts starting at #838 in the [Thread: Bus Operator (OA) Exam No. 3101 is out] by our fellow NYCTF contributors, DueceDrives and hockeyplayer9, who have shared excellent information on what our first year would be like. 

Stay motivated and positive everyone!

@MTAhopeful1,

So far I like it, though I'm very new and next week I will actually be on my own. I think just about every job has pluses and minuses. I think your personailty has a lot to do with it. As I've gotten older, I've gotten more realistic about that fact. I'm much more relaxed in general compared to many years ago. Anyway, I've had some veteran operators say lots of negative things and I've had some veteran operators say lots of positive things. One very nice advantage with MTA, based on what I do know, is that there are other positions which you can apply for. I think that's very important because after doing a job (ANY job) for 5, 10, 20 years, since you can become bored, frusterated, etc. So, the opportunity for change can be a very good thing. So, a Bus operator may decide to try being a Dispatcher, then a Superintendent, or maybe go for the subway lines,etc. and become a Conductor or Station Agent. As far as money goes, it pays well in my opinion. Dispatchers, for example, pay even more than being a Bus Operator. As for buying a home, it all depends on how much you have saved, what you make, and how much the home is. People tend to spend more than they should. I'd suggest having an accountant, etc. (a friend of a friend perhaps) go over your finances and expenses and give you a rough estimate as to what you can TRULY afford. That's what me & my wife did. Way too many people buy what they can't afford without realizing it. You must consider if, for example, your spouse (if you're married) lost her/his job, etc. Hope all that helps. This is all just my opinion of course. :)

So far there appears to be two sessions for BOSS on May 09 2015 at Midwood HS, 10:00 and 13:00.

Correct me if I was wrong, were there three sessions for BOSS on Oct 04 2014 08:30, 11:00 and 13:30 at James Madison HS? I'm just trying to make guess of how many people are on this list (which I think will be ~14,350) based on an equation of school enrollment (capacity), number of exam sessions and making a guess of the no-shows (10%) and people who screwed up on the exam (5%). I like playing with numbers   :P

Edited by 161passenger

So far there appears to be two sessions for BOSS on May 09 2015 at Midwood HS, 10:00 and 13:00.

Correct me if I was wrong, were there three sessions for BOSS on Oct 04 2014 08:30, 11:00 and 13:30 at James Madison HS? I'm just trying to make guess of how many people are on this list (which I think will be ~14,350) based on an equation of school enrollment (capacity), number of exam sessions and making a guess of the no-shows (10%) and people who screwed up on the exam (5%). I like playing with numbers   :P

I do remember taking the BOSS test back in October...I'm still puzzled as far as why I got a notice in the mail?

Me too.... @Midwood H.S. the PM schedule.

So after this boss exam for 4600 what's next?.. They called me for exam 3101 to go in with filled out application brought us in a room checked paper work and said there are no classes and sent us home..what was that about??..

So after this boss exam for 4600 what's next?.. They called me for exam 3101 to go in with filled out application brought us in a room checked paper work and said there are no classes and sent us home..what was that about??..

After the BOSS for 4600, We will all wait until they finally establish the list. At the moment 2613  is the current TA they're hiring from and they're are almost finish with that list. Once they finish up with 2613, 4600 will be the next hiring pool when they ever decide to start hiring from that list.

As far for 3101 they must of been full at the moment for classes, if they sent you guys back home.. I know this week there's a Training class going on. I saw a training bus in Brooklyn on Wednesday afternoon driving on Linden Blvd. I'm also on the 3101 list waiting. 

Edited by DueceDrives