B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to those taking the BOSS evaluation today!

I remember taking BOSS on October 4 and it being a cool, cloudy and misty day like today.

Thank you...I also remember taking the BOSS on October 4th, still don't know why I took it again today...

Anyways, did anyone notice or see me? I arrived at the school at approximately 8:30 AM (after leaving my house at 5:30 AM), I was wearing a green sweatshirt with black jeans. While in front of the school I was studying my index cards - I also took the exam in room 434. I'm not going to disclose my seat number, however, I was towards the front of the classroom.

@youngnycsubwayfan. I took the 3101 within a year from when the boss was scheduled for exam 4600 in October and because it was within a year I didn't have to take it then or today May 9th nor did I have to take it for exam 4105. So I don't know why you took it again if you took it already. You didn't have to. What happens if you failed it today

@youngnycsubwayfan. I took the 3101 within a year from when the boss was scheduled for exam 4600 in October and because it was within a year I didn't have to take it then or today May 9th nor did I have to take it for exam 4105. So I don't know why you took it again if you took it already. You didn't have to. What happens if you failed it today

I hear ya, so if I did not have to take it, then how come I got a notice in the mail? With that said, I could have wasted probably two [2] days of not only going down to 180 Livingston Street to prove my point, but also re-taking the test today if my exam from October was not on file with them. So I just figured I re-take it today, it wasn't a big deal.

Edited by +Young+

You should check with exam units just in case if you were either schedule to take on.. Reason I'm saying that is because I also took 3101 BOSS and passed it and Today I took 4600 BOSS. So if I were you, I would make sure if you were on that list to take it today..........

I was sent a letter for today's exam. When the first boss exam was scheduled for the 4600 I had never received a notice. I was wondering why so I called the exam unit and was told that since I passed 3101 and 4600 boss and 4105 was scheduled within the same year I didn't have to retake it. The boss exam is good for one year so my results to 3101 will be transferred to the boss exam for 4600 and 4105. I recalled when I got the present notice for today's exam and I was told to give them my SSN AND NAME the looked up my records and was told I didn't have to go in today to retake the test cause my results will be carried over to this exam and 4105 in which I also applied for. I talked to a ms debrorah and a mr Abraham in the exam unit. Which I believe we're managers.

@youngnycsubway. Call exam unit as for ms. Deborah she will tell you exactly if it was on file and If you needed to take it again

I was told I did not have to take it after reviewing my record

......I talked to a ms debrorah and a mr Abraham in the exam unit. Which I believe we're managers.

Phone number? I wish I found out about this earlier this week...thanks for the advice.

So i took the boss last october and now that the remaineder of 4600 took the boss today, does anyone know or have an estimate of around when mta will start taking people in to HR for processing

Well, the first step is for the 2613 list to be exhausted...according to post # 4954 & 4955 of the 2613 thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-496), they have between 700 and 800 people to go. With that said, my educated guess is that when they completely exhausted the 2613 list, then they will release/publish the 4600 list. After the 4600 list is released/published, then they will start calling candidates.

As far as when this will be taking place - my educated guess is anywhere from 6 months to one calendar year. Again, this all depends on the hiring needs of the Department of Buses - if most of the Depots are full with Bus Operators, then this will be delayed. If the Department of Buses needs Bus Operators, then this will happen sooner.

Thanx bro. That makes sense. Im just worried i wont have my cdl permit in time. Im taking the dmv cdl permit test on june 1st

You're welcome. Don't worry about the CDL permit - from going to 180 Livingston Street for 2613 processing several times, I've seen several people with the temporary paper CDL permit in their hands meaning that they only took the tests @ DMV within the past couple of days...I would not sweat over it. You have time, and you'll have a better idea of how much time once the list comes out.

Just as a friendly reminder to all of you - once you get your CDL permit, you are allowed to renew it once. If you need to renew it a second time, you need to take the tests all over again (ouch).

@youngnycsubwayfan. (347) 643-7222 Or 7221 ask for debrorah or Abraham. Let me know how it goes

Thank you...I will try to call this upcoming week...

So i took the boss last october and now that the remaineder of 4600 took the boss today, does anyone know or have an estimate of around when mta will start taking people in to HR for processing

Here's what we know so far:

- Per the May 2015 DCAS update for TA Exam 2613 in [Thread:Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions ] that YoungNYCSubwayFan has provided for us in Post 4954 "the list # of the last certified IS 3,617." That says to me that the remaining 900 or so candidates are no longer on outstanding certification and that they will at some time begin the drug test/background/interview phase.

- The actual number of candidates interested, qualified and who are able to complete training and be hired may vary considerably.

- We have two gentleman on the 2613 list who contribute here on NYCTF that we are aware of who are awaiting calls. One gentleman is in the 2700's and had completed a drug test about one month ago, another gentleman is in the 2900's and was initially called for a drug test, but HR sent him home. There has been no activity since.

- Classes usually occur every two weeks, beginning Mondays. The last known TA bus operator class was back on Monday, April 20, 2015. A class did begin on Monday, May 4, 2015. However, according to astogezz, who was in the April 20th class, the May 4 class did occur, but did not involve any TA candidates. So far no-one has posted indicating they are in a class that would begin Monday, May 18.

- As the 2613 list is still active, those who temporarily took themselves off the list may still be able to reinstate, so that may add to the number of total outstanding candidates.

- We currently don't know the hiring needs of the Department of Buses or if there will be large number of retirees or people transfering to other positions within the TA (Train Operator, Track Worker, TBTA) or other titles within the city (Sanitation, FDNY etc.)

In summary, not sure when we will hear anything, all I can say is - eventually. If you scored high, I would be working on getting your CDL permits/licenses and making sure you have everything necessary for the background check.

====

BTW, for the folks who did take BOSS today, was it a full house for both sessions? I remember at James Madison HS, the lines nearly wrapped around the building.

Edited by 161passenger

BTW, for the folks who did take BOSS today, was it a full house for both sessions? I remember at James Madison HS, the lines nearly wrapped around the building.

First of all, nice summary. I didn't 'quote' it since it's only going to take up space and eventually make this webpage longer.

To answer your question, I arrived at 8:30, so I was towards the front of the line. However, I did hear from one of the security guards that the line for the AM session was wrapped around the building and/or block (IMHO, same meaning). Therefore, I do believe it was a full-house for the AM session. I was done with the exam very quickly and I was on my way home by 11:30, therefore I do not know how the PM session went. 

- Classes usually occur every two weeks, beginning Mondays. The last known TA bus operator class was back on Monday, April 20, 2015. A class did begin on Monday, May 4, 2015. However, according to astogezz, who was in the April 20th class, the May 4 class did occur, but did not involve any TA candidates. So far no-one has posted indicating they are in a class that would begin Monday, May 18.

There is a class on May 18th. I was speaking to an operator and he told me his nephew was going in for training list number for 3101 in the #3000's.

First of all, nice summary. I didn't 'quote' it since it's only going to take up space and eventually make this webpage longer.

To answer your question, I arrived at 8:30, so I was towards the front of the line. However, I did hear from one of the security guards that the line for the AM session was wrapped around the building and/or block (IMHO, same meaning). Therefore, I do believe it was a full-house for the AM session. I was done with the exam very quickly and I was on my way home by 11:30, therefore I do not know how the PM session went. 

Thank you. :) Yeah, I have been chopping off my signature when my post would appear more than one time on the same page using "More reply options" to keep the conversation flowing. 

LOL. Literally, I remember being in back of the building at JMHS. So if my estimates are right based on everyone's observations, 14,000 + people are on this list! I do think the overwhelming majority of people will be called at some point.

Just for some interesting information. I was curious about the Sanitation lists. The recent Sanitation exam attracted 94,000 applicants and supposedly 70,000+ people actually took the exam. On the prior list which is still active from 2008, they are only up to 5,800 or so. I didn't take those exams, but find their experience interesting.

There is a class on May 18th. I was speaking to an operator and he told me his nephew was going in for training list number for 3101 in the #3000's.

Thank you. Let's see if anyone from TA Exam 2613 reports any progress this week.

Edited by 161passenger

The PM session was not that pack. There was lines in front and as the time got closer to 1pm, It started to formed around the side of the building. Some people were headed to the  4th floor, and Some on the 3rd floor to take the test. Not sure if the 2nd fl was being used. The class room I was in, The Monitor mention that, "If you were taking this test,that means you passed the written exam and this is only a Personnel Test" of course she was talking to the  candidates who were questioning about using a Calculator and etc The test started at 1:25pm. Myself and some others were already done by 1:55 p.m. If you really paid close attention. The first page questions were basically what the questions were going to be used around to determine what type of person you are and if the answers you stated on page one actually matches through out the test. No wrong or right answers just lying to get the job was basically.

Good luck to you all! 

Thanks everyone. I am going to revise my estimate of total candidates to about 11,500 or so then.

When I took the exam, just one question stuck out and I hope it didn't cost me. Other than that I hope all the questions were answered the way they should have been.

Do you mean bes going to training from test 3101 or his list number is 3101 from test 2613??

His number is in the low 3000's from mabSTOA exam 3101. I was just clarifiying that there was class on the 18th since no one on the forum has said they're going in for training from 2613.