B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

13 hours ago, MTA Groupie said:

Evening all.. what things should you have or not have by the time they call you.. other than CDL permit?!

Clean lisence no more than 4 points within last 3 years,no revocations , no pending or unpaid parking tickets, 10 years of work history or since you finish high school with no gaps.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, scar3face said:

Clean lisence no more than 4 points within last 3 years,no revocations , no pending or unpaid parking tickets, 10 years of work history or since you finish high school with no gaps.

They are actually going to need your work history since you finished high school. In addition, you can NOT have more than two [2] accidents, whether you were at-fault or not. If you have three [3] or more, they will turn you away.

@scar3face is correct with "no gaps." However, if you were unemployed, just  try to remember how you supported yourself (dependent on parents, spouse, savings, siblings, etc.) They also go by months as well.

Edited by +Young+

Okay thanks a bunch... with the point you made of no pending tickets, I have a question.. I got a speeding ticket in 2015 and still to date I have yet to go to court. The court keep changing the date till the following year.. now being that it’s not on my abstract will Transit penalize me?!

Edited by MTA Groupie
More info

2 minutes ago, MTA Groupie said:

Okay thanks a bunch... with the point you made of no pending tickets, I have a question.. I got a speeding ticket in 2015 and still to date I have yet to go to court. The court keep changing the date till the following year.. now being that it’s not on my abstract will Transit penalize me?!

Yes, they will turn you away until it is either settled or paid.

• Harry unfeatured this topic

Just want to wish everyone who went into today for Class 10/2 training nothing but the best from here on out.  And to remember to be Confident and don't let nervousness get the better of you while training.  This was my biggest issue that is why I fail, tell yourself I can achieve anything I put my mind to, and remain positive. Positive thoughts bring positive outcomes. Lastly however your instruct tells you they want something done just follow along without question no matter how crazy it might seem, its in your best interest.  Nothing but the best and have a Good day.

Hey guys its been awhile since i came here. Last year when i was called into livingston my list number was put on hold due to me not having a 3 year dmv license. Today was the day they told me to call back. I called and they told me to go to 1 Centre street to reinstate my list number. My question is now that i am reinstated, how long do you think before they call me again? Also what does that intail? How like long before i start training if all goes well? Thanx in advance guys

Did anyone qualify on day 7 with supt Lella

From q.v

Day 1 training outta q.v with supt Lella and supt shook. Omg Lella is no joke. Drill sergeant.  I'm gonna hear (get in there.) For the rest of my life.  3 students on the bus. I got trolley braked once. For a horse shoe turn I was 2 close to A fence n didn't stay far enough right.  One person got trolley so much I thought my arms were dislocated from my shoulders. He is very fast paced. Day 2 tomorrow here we go.

He rushes the turns b4 u can actually find ur reference points. I'm ok with the fast pace. But damn.  I have my license n drove a bus b4. The other 2 have permits. This is gonna be interesting. On day 1 we serviced bus stops. 1 permit Holder did 2 turns n got on the belt. Ugh. I'm keeping my cool n not let him take me out my game

3 hours ago, mtawife said:

From q.v

Day 1 training outta q.v with supt Lella and supt shook. Omg Lella is no joke. Drill sergeant.  I'm gonna hear (get in there.) For the rest of my life.  3 students on the bus. I got trolley braked once. For a horse shoe turn I was 2 close to A fence n didn't stay far enough right.  One person got trolley so much I thought my arms were dislocated from my shoulders. He is very fast paced. Day 2 tomorrow here we go.

He rushes the turns b4 u can actually find ur reference points. I'm ok with the fast pace. But damn.  I have my license n drove a bus b4. The other 2 have permits. This is gonna be interesting. On day 1 we serviced bus stops. 1 permit Holder did 2 turns n got on the belt. Ugh. I'm keeping my cool n not let him take me out my game

Be humble and learn from mistakes on the first 3 days.  Take all the drill sergeant beaten and dont let it overwhelm you. when you get out there in passenger service, it will be worst when some passengers are either cursing at you or annoyed because the bus is late.

The supt instructor can careless if you have driven a bus before, what counts is if you manage their way through heavy traffic daily in a professional and safe way. 

Be humble and execute and the job will be yours. Good luck

5 hours ago, mtawife said:

From q.v

lella is fair i qualified with him on day 10

For those of you in the current class and about to go into the 10/16, 10/30, 11/13, 11/27, etc. classes, I would like to remind you of the invaluable handouts that my instructor let us borrow back in February of 2014:

t6uzgg.jpg

155jxh1.jpg

1234fsw.jpg

10ye2b4.jpg

x28lg2.jpg

2dtzlgj.jpg

2vn4zk4.jpg

2m7dgxv.jpg

28lfcr7.jpg

23u8ks7.jpg

244wgtc.jpg

sl70ie.jpg

2dt3sw0.jpg

svt6cp.jpg

30bfuq8.jpg

o02c0z.jpg

Any questions, feel free to ask!! We're all here to help each other!!

9 hours ago, mtawife said:

Smoked that simulator. Lol😀 smoked the acute,hook,n obtuce turns. Smoked the Bruckner,throgs neck n Clearview. Yess day 3 here I come. 

I remember when you first posted you was going for pre-employment now your crushing it. You go girl. Good luck the rest of the way! Make every day count!  

Ty @ drewmania.  N yes I will. Not cocky just comfortable n confident.  My husband had to remind me not to let anyone take me out my game.  I was side swipped day two by the supt method of training. But once I figured out what he was doing as far as teaching aggression I was good. Best him to the punch n shut him down.  Instead of me repeating him I had him repeating me.  Lol.  It's all good he know who he dealing with now. Lol.

11 hours ago, Humbleguy38 said:

got to say thanks again young for all the help and the forum that help me get through training im on my second week alone and loving the extra list at my depot hope to get a transfer to queens in the general pick

good luck and the all best just be safe out there 

did you sign the paper on orienation day for queens 

Edited by mastap123

You can not pick Queens in the general pick. Brooklyn Bronx and Manhattan only.  I started at Gleason then on general pick I went to Fresh Pond. A month after going to Fresh Pond my transfer came through for Queens.  Can't pick it in general, when Queens is available they will then offer your the transfer.  If they force you to a depot you don't want one queens you are able to then transfer one time to the depot you want. Once you get the depot in Queens that is your choice you are then there for the rest of your career. 

Day 4. El pillars in bk.  Good. More obtuce n acture turns excellent. 19a test 100. Parallel parking great. straight backing great. Got a yellow 😂 again.  Same spot Springfield n 131.  Day5. Monday in Manhattan. N it's supposed to rain Hope that's a blessing. Hubby working sat. Express run in NYC. I'm riding with him all day lol.  😁 Gotta keep my head in the game.

1 hour ago, mtawife said:

Day 4. El pillars in bk.  Good. More obtuce n acture turns excellent. 19a test 100. Parallel parking great. straight backing great. Got a yellow 😂 again.  Same spot Springfield n 131.  Day5. Monday in Manhattan. N it's supposed to rain Hope that's a blessing. Hubby working sat. Express run in NYC. I'm riding with him all day lol.  😁 Gotta keep my head in the game.

Very excited there lol.... Looks like you're having fun. Try to avoid the yellow lights, it can really hurt you especially on qualifying day. Manhattan traffic lights are very quick and changes before the hand signal hits 7 seconds. Practice scanning the traffic lights to avoid that yellow.