General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

I've found a new setting on camera on White Balanced for underground shooting photos which is Incandescent, Fluorescent and for above ground daylight. So are those the cool settings I've found and I need to know if those settings are good?

The second question is that should I try doing the IRT 7th Avenue Lines or the BMT Broadway Lines all the way downtown or the IND 8th Avenue Line stations which is 14th Street (A)(C)(E)(L), Canal Street (A)(C)(E) or World Trade Center (E)

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes when you take a photo, the color can be kinda off. That's when you use White Balance to fix it. You can also be creative and mess it up on purpose to see what happens lol

Usually underground IND lines are the way to go, they have long platforms which means more room for you to get your pics from. 14th Canal and WTC all have long platforms so that shouldn't be a problem

Since lights are manufactured different ways and by different companies and at different times, and may be totally different types of lights in various areas, you need to change and check the white balance each time you change location. I have to do this all the time when i move from outside elevated or open cut to tunnel, and it differs between older cars and NTT as well.

Please consult your camera's operational manual to find the quickest way to change white balance settings, so you don't miss good shots.

- A

The White Balance depends on where you are shooting. If you are shooting at a station that's outside, use the daylight option. If you are shooting in a station with flouroscent light, use that option. Read your camera manual too to find out more about your camera. As for which lines you should do, any line with variety would help. I would recommend stations along the Astoria and Flushing line, and the Rockaway line. Basically all of Queens, because you never do Queens at all. The IRT woudn't hurt either.

Edited by R32 3348

From what I've read, the human eye detects all whites as just white, while the film/sensors in the cams detect different 'tones' of white. Depending on the light source emitting the light, it will effect what color cast appears in your pics.

Read up on your cams 'White Balance Feature'.

In Picassa3, (Freeware) under tuning, the neutral color feature can be used to correct off whites in your pics. Simply select the tool, then click on what was truly white when the pic was snapped. It applies that tone to the whole pic, eliminating blue cast or other strange colors.. Result can vary.. I've read GIMP is a very powerful freeware like Photoshop, but haven't used it.

• 1 month later...

I haven't uploaded photos in months. Since the number of photos I am taking without uploading them to transit sites has been increasing I've decided to stop being lazy and upload them. However, uploading them to Photobucket is annoying because the website is kind of slow for me and navigating through my folders can get annoying (I am organized so there's a lot of folders to navigate through).

So my question is, which photo hosting site is better? Photobucket, Imageshack, or Flickr? Which one do you use, and how would you rate it? Also, does anyone use Picasa?

How do you guys organize your photos on your computer, and online? On my computer, I have separate folders: Subway and buses. Under the subway folder I have each line, and then albums from railfan trips on that line. This allows for organization, but the problem with this is that my railfan trips are never focused on one line so there is always some "overlap" (i.e. A train pics from an F railfan trip in the F folder). I never do just bus trips either, so I have bus pics in my subway folder too (and the bus-oriented trips go to the bus folder, but there are a few straggling subway pics in the bus folder...) This is also problematic because I'm doing the Metro North more now, and planning to do LIRR so I need a railroad folder...

Should I just get rid of the all the line folders and just put folders from railfan trips in their respective folder (Subway/Bus)? Your input would be appreciated.

For example

Instead of:

Subway Pics 2009

- The A train

-----RF Trip 01/05/09

-The 7 train

-----RF Trip 05/23/09

it would be:

Subway Pics 2009

---RF Trip on the 7/Flushing Buses 05/23/09

---RF Trip on the A/F 01/05/09

BTW, is there any way to move sub-albums of one album, to a different album in Photobucket?

What works very well for me is to organize the folders like this respectively:

IRT ---> folder w/ date the pics were taken

BMT/IND ---> folder w/ date the pics were taken

Same goes for buses, railroads etc...

This method keeps the folders quite organized, and it's very simple. It also works if you want to upload them to this forum, because it's divided just like the folders and you wouldn't have to keep searching for a specific picture! Let me know what you think! :(

My Photobucket, it's easier to link to it then to try and explain it.

On the computer, the pics are organized by date of download from the camera and then named according to what they are. NJT-owned buses in PBL paint (such as Coach USA and Lakeland) are tagged as NJT#### and placed in the proper NJT Bus subcategory. This is evident with Lakeland Bus Photo Collection as the NJT-owned 8700s are in the NJT D-Series subcategory while the Lakeland-owned fleet is in the Lakeland section and sold buses (190 and 193) are in the Darkanu section. In the album, NJT buses operated by contractors are labeled as "contractor bus number" such as PABCO 2559.

on my computer i sort em by date & 1 or 2 words to help me remember what it is. for example:

railfanning 6-23-09

subway 6-24-09

date 6-25-09 etc

on photobucket its a mess lol i dont really organize em on photobucket i just upload them but obviously they would go by date since i upload em usually asap after i upload them on the computer

I just have folders organized by date, I'm too lazy to edit the way the computer does it automatically. So when I want to look back at something it takes me forever to find it.

What do you mean the way the computer does it automatically? You mean just creating a folder and dumping everything in there?

What works very well for me is to organize the folders like this respectively:

IRT ---> folder w/ date the pics were taken

BMT/IND ---> folder w/ date the pics were taken

Same goes for buses, railroads etc...

This method keeps the folders quite organized, and it's very simple. It also works if you want to upload them to this forum, because it's divided just like the folders and you wouldn't have to keep searching for a specific picture! Let me know what you think! :P

This is true, but if you want to upload them to NYCTF and you have both IRT and BMT photos then you can just put that in the General Subway Forum. Other posters do that all the time, as well as I do. This is still a good idea though. Just wondering, how do you split them across the three main folders (Subway, Bus, Railroad)? What if one day you had a lot of railroad pics and just one bus pic? Would you just put that in the Railroad folder? Then finding that one bus pic can be a hassle. Then again, you can mention busfanning in the title so I guess it's no problem.

on my computer i sort em by date & 1 or 2 words to help me remember what it is. for example:

railfanning 6-23-09

subway 6-24-09

date 6-25-09 etc

on photobucket its a mess lol i dont really organize em on photobucket i just upload them but obviously they would go by date since i upload em usually asap after i upload them on the computer

lol ok, makes sense

I'm going to go with backline's plan here.

Subway Pics 2009

--A-L-6 05/31/09

Bus Pics 2009

--Roosevelt Ave.-LGA Airport-Casey Stengel 07/05/09

Metro North

--SAS Launch Box-100th St. Depot-98th 05/26/09

etc. etc.

Thanks everyone!

I usually label each set with the location/time or month.

HillsideMorrisPark_2009

Thanksgiving_2008

Each photo is named with either a car number, or just a generic name. (7Arriving.jpg)

Since I don't have that many photos, it's possible. When I have alot, I don't bother with the individual names until I feel that I'm starting to forget the trip(s).

By the way, do any of you run your photos through Photoshop's auto contrast, levels, and color adjustments?

This is true, but if you want to upload them to NYCTF and you have both IRT and BMT photos then you can just put that in the General Subway Forum. Other posters do that all the time, as well as I do. This is still a good idea though. Just wondering, how do you split them across the three main folders (Subway, Bus, Railroad)? What if one day you had a lot of railroad pics and just one bus pic? Would you just put that in the Railroad folder? Then finding that one bus pic can be a hassle. Then again, you can mention busfanning in the title so I guess it's no problem.

lol ok, makes sense

I'm going to go with backline's plan here.

Subway Pics 2009

--A-L-6 05/31/09

Bus Pics 2009

--Roosevelt Ave.-LGA Airport-Casey Stengel 07/05/09

Metro North

--SAS Launch Box-100th St. Depot-98th 05/26/09

etc. etc.

Thanks everyone!

Well if you had that only bus photo, I would most likely create another folder with the trip's date on it, so in the future it will be easier to search for it, even though it's just one picture in the folder, it's a lot easier than to hassle around and trying to find something specific like this. If you have made a lot of trips for a lot of folders, you'll start to see it really works. Now for example if you mix both of the divisions together (ex: IRT and BMT/IND) you should still create separate folders for those pics in your PC, but make only one thread in the General Subway section and put them all in there. Just a word of advice! :P

I dont really organize by any Division or system. I just organize by the Date. I use Windows Live Photo Gallery to help organize when I load up my SD Cards to my Notebook. Then I type in the Date/Year of the Folder. I setted the settings of WLPG to a Transit Folder under "Pictures" on my Windows 7 PC. Then I setted the transit folder to organize by date, by having my last uploads first. By Right Clicking Windows Explorer..

Well if you had that only bus photo, I would most likely create another folder with the trip's date on it, so in the future it will be easier to search for it, even though it's just one picture in the folder, it's a lot easier than to hassle around and trying to find something specific like this. If you have made a lot of trips for a lot of folders, you'll start to see it really works. Now for example if you mix both of the divisions together (ex: IRT and BMT/IND) you should still create separate folders for those pics in your PC, but make only one thread in the General Subway section and put them all in there. Just a word of advice! :P

Yes, of course! That's what I had originally meant.

I usually label each set with the location/time or month.

HillsideMorrisPark_2009

Thanksgiving_2008

Each photo is named with either a car number, or just a generic name. (7Arriving.jpg)

Since I don't have that many photos, it's possible. When I have alot, I don't bother with the individual names until I feel that I'm starting to forget the trip(s).

By the way, do any of you run your photos through Photoshop's auto contrast, levels, and color adjustments?

Makes sense. I don't name my pics (they just stay as DSCFXXXX.JPG) unless I have a car number for them, in which case I would name them by car number (R62 1775.JPG).