New Subway Promotion To Honor Subtember 11 (Satire)

Turbo19

700.jpg?1695

MILFORD, CT—Citing a wide range of deals customers will “never forget,” fast food chain Subway announced an exciting new promotion this week to honor and commemorate Subtember 11. “With a number of terrific discounts on special sandwiches as well as our classic footlongs, you’ll always remember where you were on Subtember 11,” Subway president Fred DeLuca told reporters, referring to Subway’s special promotion in which, for a limited time only, visitors of the restaurant’s tens of thousands of franchise locations will be able to “fly on in” and pick up two footlong subs of their choice for only $9.11. “From the Structural Steel Melt on Tower 7–Grain bread to the Twin Chowers cold cut combo with Ground Zero–Carb vinaigrette on a Let’s Whole Wheat Roll, we’ve got something for everybody this Subtember 11.” DeLuca added that the special promotion will be “first responders, first served.”

Read More: The Onion

What's your guys opinion on this satirical article? Personally I managed to laugh a bit (and to be honest wished the promotion existed in reality), but it would seem as the majority of the consensus is taking offense to it.

What do you guys in NYC think, too soon?

Voice your opinions.

There are many things to laugh and joke about.

Mass-murdering tragedies like 9/11 is not one of them.

Almost twelve years have passed since 9/11, and almost 3,000 people died from the terrorist attacks. Millions of people from around the world (not just from NYC, but people from other parts of the US and countries like Canada, Mexico, the UK, China, Japan, South Africa, Russia, Germany, and South Korea) watched thousands of people die, and this attack changed society and security worldwide. Trivializing such a tragedy is classless, offensive, in poor taste, and just plain unfunny, especially to the families who lost their loved ones from the terrorist attacks.

The Onion trivialized 9/11 with this inane Subway sub "satire," and 9/11 is still fresh in everyone's minds. You risk angering millions of people as a result, and The Onion is now facing the consequences for publishing this disgusting "satire."

You don't make light out of such a tragedy, period. And that's what The Onion did.

There are many things to laugh and joke about.

Mass-murdering tragedies like 9/11 is not one of them.

Almost twelve years have passed since 9/11, and almost 3,000 people died from the terrorist attacks. Millions of people from around the world (not just from NYC, but people from other parts of the US and countries like Canada, Mexico, the UK, China, Japan, South Africa, Russia, Germany, and South Korea) watched thousands of people die, and this attack changed society and security worldwide. Trivializing such a tragedy is classless, offensive, in poor taste, and just plain unfunny, especially to the families who lost their loved ones from the terrorist attacks.

The Onion trivialized 9/11 with this inane Subway sub "satire," and 9/11 is still fresh in everyone's minds. You risk angering millions of people as a result, and The Onion is now facing the consequences for publishing this disgusting "satire."

You don't make light out of such a tragedy, period. And that's what The Onion did.

Many thanks for your insight. Given that this is still fairly recent in the minds of most I understand why offense would be taken to it. I personally appreciate it when people or media attempt to make light of situations, but it's understandable not everyone does.

At the end of the day though satirical news mediums such as The Onion are for entertainment purposes. If they don't appeal to you then no need to read.

And yet I still question why the US government could not stop the 9/11 attacks to begin with when they KNEW that the planes were going to hit. Let me not even get started on this........

Personally I'd prefer such discussion out of this thread out of consistency reasons, though I don't know whether we should continue on that issue at all. I'd say it'd spark up too many emotions. However if you decide to act as the realist that you are then I'd have no issue in participating in the discussion.

Personally I'd prefer such discussion out of this thread out of consistency reasons, though I don't know whether we should continue on that issue at all. I'd say it'd spark up too many emotions. However if you decide to act as the realist that you are then I'd have no issue in participating in the discussion.

We'll leave up to the audience, I for one am looking at this from the political perspective of things as as person not too easily swayed by so called 'popular opinion' or what the media tells me about the United States in foreign policies as a citizen of this country. The topic is out there, the anniversary is coming up this week, the ponderings over the genocide and what has resulted in the slaughter of thousands of people in NYC alone will come up across the internet.

As far as I'm concerned it goes beyond the emptyhead, idiotic trollish memes of "The Jews did WTC" we've seen splattered all over the internet, this one being the latest example of it and the justified anger from the Jewish American communities that results from it, not to mention from similar shit falsified propaganda the subsequent stigma it has put in the Middle-eastern American community as well. I'm taking no ethnic sides on that one as every day persons from both communities are suffering from the consequences of the event in terms of civilian casualties, from the attack on home soil and abroad in Afghanistan and Pakistan who wants nothing to do with the militias -or- US intervention.

The real question is very simple: Why did the White House fail to circumvent a plot that was in the making years before the fact?

If the plot was indeed foiled we wouldn't have to mourn for thousands dead from the 9/11 attacks would we? Remember I told you before, I personally saw the second building go down and saw bodies drop with my own two eyes in 2001! For months after the incident I suffered from nightmares stemming from the scene. I have every right to ask these questions.

I guess being openminded is not the politically correct thing to do. Don't care. What is the current definition of political correctness then?

As for the meme in question, I am not laughing, I find it tasteless. US forktongued serpent-like propaganda at it's best.

Don't take this as a personal challenge, I am just fed up of the crap I see with US ties to the world and the bullshit it brings, and the way it handles it's own citizens at home, totally fed up with the lies.  I want answers, so does many Americans,  I think it's a fundamental human right for me to question what really happened knowing the atrocities that occurred during our history as a nation and ultimately as a global human family with a common origin!  

Let me add that as a disclaimer my stance here is exactly as Turbo put it, I am a realist and not associating myself with any political party nor am I connecting myself nor taking sides with any particular ethnic group in this discussion as it progresses, *if*  if it progresses. My take is simply the fact that many governments across the globe has failed miserably bring to fruition true justice, peace and prosperity for it's citizens but on the other hand brought upon us misery and heartaches with trials by fire. The United States is not exempt. So yes exactly I am a realist, best way of putting it, hence my username, which reflects my critical thinking on issues to the best of my knowledge and intellectual ability -- may it be conforming to popular opinion or not.

I'll let the others voice out now, as I focus on learning better the skills of photography for a minute, my preoccupation as of late on this board as i'm  I'm tired of being a debater contributor to this board. Might as well say it here while it's still fresh in my mind before this thread escalates out of control too. End of rant.

Let me clarify something here. There's a difference between a person that's into 'conspiracy stuff' and a person that pays close attention to the events surrounding world events. Astute journalists and in major American newspapers in fact touches upon some of the things I came to see if that helps to see the credibility of what many people see and why they peer more deeply into historical and current events as reflected in my statements. Recall that I don't only read the local newspapers but heavier newspapers and magazines such as the NY Times and Time magazine. I tend to like to get into more detail over what I see on the news on TV rather then simply take it with a grain of salt. I like to analyze what I read and hear assess relevant information and draw rational conclusions.

Let me add that I am not going to force my scope on things on no one. So if that is my stance then I would expect the same respect for *my take* on this subject, simply being I don't have the popular opinion on certain things as truthful it is to me. It's regardless my choosing to have my opinion on things I would imagine and will stand by it. And I will express it, I think I am entitled to that as much as you are to yours.

To quote:

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."

Who made that statement? Mahatma Gandhi who led the Indian country out of a colonist power to independance. I tend to think that way. That's called critical thinking in world affairs and standing by your beliefs.

By conspiracy, I am talking about the nuts that thinks 9/11 was an inside job by the government and of course the others that still call into question about what took down tower 7. I do think it was more government incompetence that allowed the events to happen because they missed the warning signs or the inter agency fighting that blocked info from being shared to prevent the attacks.

I just want to focus on this article like Turbo said.

Point well taken on your take on the unfolding of evens concerning the terrorist attacks.

As far as I was trying to say, concerning the satire, I'm sure the view behind that was the same as those on the internet who produced anti-semitic memes after the fact using images of a crumbling World Trade Center as a basis for building the memes.  Unfortunately we have an vast internet anti-culture that spews memes with a demented theme that stems from the original internet subculture from the image boards that grew in numbers quickly with the rapid advancements in internet based technology and software in the 21st century. Therefore in the case of the insulting memes and now this satire from a tabloid, it's clearly due to a combination of prejudices, dark humor meant to offend, and misguided thinking on nationalism if you can recall the similarities between the memes that went viral (and still is) and the graphical layout and theme of the mock advertisement. I can see the parallel. 

Point is that the Onion has always made insulting articles meant to offend for the shock value, thats their driving point for visitor hits, and it seems that in their dark humor has many times produced distasteful articles using the WTC atrocity as a punchline from what I have seen previous to this satire. Which I personally find as no laughing matter. Not that they are concerned because they are clearly focused on catering to an audience that likes this sort of distasteful humor which is larger than a person may think.

After viewing the consensus here as well it is very clear I'm in the minority of seeing this article as even slightly humorous.

My deepest apologies if sharing this offended anyone as that was not my intention. Thanks for the input as always guys.

I'm not gonna lie, I got a little chuckle out of this. I mean, its not the worse 9/11 joke I've seen, (the internet is one hell of a place), but the satire of the whole picture/article is kinda humorous in a  way. You can call me heartless, insensitive, or what have you, but I've seen a lot more offensive jokes than this one that I found funny. Don't get me wrong, yes it was a national tragedy and countless people seen what happened firsthand and was affected by this (I saw the first plane fly over my elementary school back when I was in the 6th grade on the Lower E. Side), but its not the worse thing to come from the Onion

No matter what kind of joke you make about anything, there's always gonna be someone that finds it offensive and some people will actually find it funny. That's why its called dark humor

Looks like the Onion editors smoked too much weed again...

As for the discussion about the government's incompetence, I don't think there is any question about that. The government released a number of reports stating that intelligence was ignored and not followed up when it should have been. Af few movies were made about it, as well. That's why the FBI and NYPD you see today are nothing like the pre-2001 versions of those organizations. 

I'm sure that the CIA has been monitoring Al Qaeda for decades as they assisted the mujahideen during the Soviet Afghanistan war, by equipping them with stinger missiles, tank busters and heavy firearms to confront the Soviet invasion. However the question still remains: How did the DoD and the intelligence agencies miss the plot leading up to the execution of the terrorist attacks? That is left up to the unknown as the directors are not talking and there is no direct confirmation of facts as to explain why at this point of time. 

Lighten up? Kinda hard to do if I was there, witness to the second building collapsing with the ground shaking like it was a earthquake and seeing people jump out of windows screaming to their deaths. Easier said than done.

Totally see your point Realizm.I was 3 on 9/11 and nowhere near the towers to see it up close...but If just witnessing someone runover by a train or flung though the front window of a car in a car accident and a severed head roll towards me is enough to cause nightmares imagine seeing 3000 in your dreams. I cannot imagine going through what you experienced and I hope I never will...

No one is saying laugh at what happened on that terrible day. Watching these 9/11 programing these past few days I've felt anger over the senseless killings and loss of life. I'm just saying can some of us chuckle a little bit at how absurd this onion article is? 

The whole point is even if some people find it funny its still wrong...And it still offends people which is their right just like it is for you to laugh.

The Onion often points out Society's wrongs in a satirical way , there have been some companies that have and will do ads like this....you should take offense with that and not the Onion which lately has been right on target with all there jokes and dark humor...

You know, as a kid I remember taking the A train home one day with my mom and I was reading this editorial article in the Daily News around 1999-2000.  It had this picture of a fat wall street cat holding an umbrella to shield him from falling missiles. The title was something along the lines of "New Yorkers Should Beware of a Terrorist Attack Below 59th Street" (I'm paraphrasing).  When 9/11 happened (I was in 7th grade) I immediately saw that article with picture perfect clarity in head it was the weirdest thing.

You know, as a kid I remember taking the A train home one day with my mom and I was reading this editorial article in the Daily News around 1999-2000.  It had this picture of a fat wall street cat holding an umbrella to shield him from falling missiles. The title was something along the lines of "New Yorkers Should Beware of a Terrorist Attack Below 59th Street" (I'm paraphrasing).  When 9/11 happened (I was in 7th grade) I immediately saw that article with picture perfect clarity in head it was the weirdest thing.

It's a strange world out there that leaves coincidences like that up to the surreal. 

Archived