Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

The damn "Quote" thing is screwing up, so I'll just do it like this.

"Well the transfer at 23rd street thing is fine, but sending them up to Getty Square... Forget it. The fact that you've pretty much stated that they wouldn't use the BxM3 as an option yet again illustrates that there is no need to extend the BxM18."

Uh, yeah they wouldn't use the BxM3 because it's on the other side of the city. And aside from that, he said that it has nothing to do with BxM4C riders. You keep on saying "Oh, I understand" and then keep bringing this up.

"You haven't offered one good reason to extend these routes because if they're extended and no one is using them then they might as well deadhead to the depot."

So if nobody would use them, then they're basically deadheading while still keeping the signage up. What's wrong with that? At least people along Riverdale Avenue would have the option of using the service.

"Also, you and checkmate keep talking about South Yonkers as if it is somehow comparable to Riverdale in terms of money and anyone that frequents that area knows that there is a big difference between Riverdale and South Yonkers, not only in looks but in terms of money. If they really had the money to take the express bus like that up there, then they would be using the BxM3 or they would already be making their way over to Riverdale Avenue and 261st street via car for the first stop to catch the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18, which also isn't happening because the buses often times don't get crowded until 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway or even later than that which is around where I get on at (anywhere from 239th to 232nd and Henry Hudson Parkway or Riverdale Av & 236th street depending on my mood and me trying to avoid taking the stairs to reach the other side of Henry Hudson Parkway), so this attracting ridership crappola in Yonkers is not going to sell me."

When the hell did we say anything about South Yonkers being comparable to Riverdale? And for all you know, there are some riders who do just that.

"Well how much usage does the BxM3 get up there then??

I also don't understand why you feel that the current BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 set up is so "unproductive" when there is very little deadheading overall with these three routes? The BxM1 and BxM2 basically just stop at 34th street, make a left on their respective avenues and then come back around and go right back up to Riverdale. Now the BxM18 has some deadheading, Downtown, but it only runs rush hours and serves both Queens and Bronx express bus riders, in addition to us in Riverdale. Furthermore, the runs are relatively short at about an hour or so currently and all three routes have good usage and have seen increases in ridership, with the exclusion of the BxM1 which saw a small decrease. So your proposal would have these buses spending more time in service in hopes of picking up a few passengers, which could make them more delayed and hurt ridership..."

The buses are going down there anyway. What's the difference if they're spending time in service or not? We already said that we could just have it apply to the buses that are deadheading anyway.

The point is there wouldn't be many deadheading, as most of them go back to city once they go to Riverdale.... Face it... The routes ARE efficient. Just can't be satisfied without trying to **** up something that is fine as is can you?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is there wouldn't be many deadheading, as most of them go back to city once they go to Riverdale.... Face it... The routes ARE efficient. Just can't be satisfied without trying to **** up something that is fine as is can you?

Yeah, and there are many that aren't. The BxM1 runs every 12 minutes in the heart of rush hour and the BxM2 runs every 15 minutes (and don't start berating me with the technicalities because I don't have the schedule in front of me). Going back towards Manhattan, they run every 30 minutes each, which means that over half the buses are deadheading.

I'm not talking about doing anything off-peak, when there probably aren't a whole lot of buses deadheading. Only during rush hour.

Yeah, and there are many that aren't. The BxM1 runs every 12 minutes in the heart of rush hour and the BxM2 runs every 15 minutes (and don't start berating me with the technicalities because I don't have the schedule in front of me). Going back towards Manhattan, they run every 30 minutes each, which means that over half the buses are deadheading.

I'm not talking about doing anything off-peak, when there probably aren't a whole lot of buses deadheading. Only during rush hour.

That's great... So let's waste money paying B/Os overtime and making the routes more expensive to run when they could deadhead back to Yonkers Depot as they should be... <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

That's great... So let's waste money paying B/Os overtime and making the routes more expensive to run when they could deadhead back to Yonkers Depot as they should be... <_<

What the hell are you talking about? The only way those buses would be more expensive to operate would be if there was a large increase in ridership, which would cause the buses to sit at the stop longer picking up people, in which case the costs would cover themselves. If the ridership is low, then those buses are running back empty anyway, which means that they're not spending any longer getting to the depot.

What the hell are you talking about? The only way those buses would be more expensive to operate would be if there was a large increase in ridership, which would cause the buses to sit at the stop longer picking up people, in which case the costs would cover themselves. If the ridership is low, then those buses are running back empty anyway, which means that they're not spending any longer getting to the depot.

You still haven't offered any valid reason to have these buses extended... And yet I'm the one that wants buses running down every block... <_<

You still haven't offered any valid reason to have these buses extended... And yet I'm the one that wants buses running down every block... <_<

Are those buses going to be running down little side streets? Didn't think so.

And yes I did offer a valid reason: It wouldn't cost anything since those buses are deadheading (and don't give me any crap of "Oh, well you'd have to reshuffle the runs" because we already established that those would be buses that are deadheading anyway).

Do I think the area is in desperate need of express service? No, but if there's the opportunity to provide it at no cost, why shouldn't we? Those people in Gravesend didn't need that extra (W) service, but since the trains were passing through on their way to the yard, they had them stop there and help them out. It's the same thing here.

Speaking of reducing "empty mileage"

Bx55 LTD:

1. All AM rush hour put ins should start from Gun Hill Road instead of Fordham Plaza

2. All late PM rush hour and early evening run offs should be extended from Fordham Plaza to Gun Hill Road.

This also helps the Bx41 in getting riders to/from the Bx39 for very little cost and restores some service to Gun Hill Road

Edited by GreatOne2k

Via, I'll agree w/ them that extending 18's have nothing to do w/ 4c's...... the 4c doesn't go no where near getty sq....

but I'm still with you on the disapproval of actually extending 18's to getty sq.....

* I just interjected to make the 1st statement really.... You can continue fighting the good fight w/ those two though, as I'm not satisfied w/ the reasons being given as to why the 18 should be extended, and there's nothing to excogitate about AFAIC... If I were you (an actual riverdale express bus rider), I wouldn't bother continuing to repeat myself......

Isn't the Bx55 based out of Kingsbridge, though? Or did they move it to Gun Hill recently? (I'm basing it off those TTMG rosters).

It's still out of KB....

Edited by B35 via Church

The BxM4C still has good ridership even though it was cut from Downtown. And aside from that, it's on the other side of Yonkers and serves a completely different ridership base, so I don't see how that's relevant.

In any case, I still said that if nothing else, you could extend those buses that aren't turning around and becoming BxM1s & BxM2s or whatever. I mean, going Downtown in the morning, I would think those runs come straight from the depot. As far as shuffling goes, I really can't see how expensive that could realistically get.

I will admit I am shocked the 4C still has ridership its way slower and more expensive than metro-north even with the monthly metrocard combo 4C is still more expensive. Those riders are indeed loyal to the point of financial STUPIDITY. No matter how you calculate it the 4C is NOT a good deal no matter what you or where you board

I was talking about the express bus transfers that BxM4C riders can transfer at 23rd St therefore the BxM4C could be cut below 23rd St. This has nothing to do with the BxM18 being an alternative for Yonkers residents who ride the 4C. Well MTA Bus will just have to deal with 4C riders below 23rd St, and there is nothing that anyone can do about that.

Definitely possible, in the AM much easier to send any of the three routes in service from Yonkers, the PM would be limited to whatever deadheads (I would prefer the AM and PM to have the same number of trips on one route). If only a few buses deadhead in the PM rush this would end up like the BxM8 to City Island.

4C riders are loyal to the 4C (even willing to pay over 7 dollar fare), they wouldn't even consider the BxM3 as an option when the BxM4C was threatened with elimination, so no way would they go for the BxM18 (unless they transferred at 23 St).

i am surprised those ppl are still falling for that ripoff of a line yet they dont see the SCAM that is the 4C. After a few PM trips I said never again for that hellhole I-87 parking lot. seriously metronorth with uniticket is cheaper. They are too loyal beacause if you do the math the 4C is a VERY BAD DEAL more like paying more for slower service. @Checkmate13 plz stop UNLIKE QM&BM BXM@/2/18 are efficient and get the job DONE. They just plain work ppl use em all the time those lines EARNED their service levels unlike some BM rtes I know and some QMs that shouldn't exist. There is no change needed on any except well a slight modification to downtown rting. The QMs need their own downtown route not the bxm18. if anything other lines should extend via FDR To downtown ppl should not have to transfer.

i am surprised those ppl are still falling for that ripoff of a line yet they dont see the SCAM that is the 4C.

lol.....

I will admit I am shocked the 4C still has ridership its way slower and more expensive than metro-north even with the monthly metrocard combo 4C is still more expensive. Those riders are indeed loyal to the point of financial STUPIDITY. No matter how you calculate it the 4C is NOT a good deal no matter what you or where you board

I agree with what you're sayin..... But also, I'm not one to suggest how people should spend their money.....

If those riders wanna blow their money on a raw deal such as that, then I say let em.....

The 4C is a good deal compared to a one way peak ticket on Metro North though and allows a free transfer to another bus (not from another bus though, not even a step up fare). 4C is closer to than Metro North to those on Central (Park) Avenue, other that that it does seem like a waste (unless there is a lack of seats on some MNR trains, then comfort has to factor in the use of the 4C).

The 4C is a good deal compared to a one way peak ticket on Metro North though and allows a free transfer to another bus (not from another bus though, not even a step up fare). 4C is closer to than Metro North to those on Central (Park) Avenue, other that that it does seem like a waste (unless there is a lack of seats on some MNR trains, then comfort has to factor in the use of the 4C).

Well yeah you can have folks standing on MetroNorth and quite frankly for $7.50 from Spuyten Duyvil, I want my own seat and don't want to stand. That does annoy me and it's one reason why I stick with the express bus, though I do use MetroNorth a few times a week on average going to work. The only great thing about MetroNorth is the speed factor and reliability, but comfort factor lacks big time. The seats are laid out terribly and leg room for a guy my height is almost non-existent and I also get annoyed with folks constantly walking back and forth in the aisles so you can't really get a nap like on the express bus.

....The only great thing about MetroNorth is the speed factor and reliability, but comfort factor lacks big time. The seats are laid out terribly and leg room for a guy my height is almost non-existent and I also get annoyed with folks constantly walking back and forth in the aisles so you can't really get a nap like on the express bus.

Tell me about it..... not just on the MNRR, but I've gotten used to sitting diagonally.... I have bad posture anyway....

Doesn't make me look civilized, but I don't care about people's perception of civiility as it pertains to me......

As far as the walking up & down the aisles, that used to get to me.... that's one reason why I carry wordfind's, sudoku's (which reminds me, I gotta go out & get a new one; the mini booklets are hard to find though), and open up the ole laptop (hate doing this on the subway though, ppl. look at you like they aint never seen a damn computer before)......

....or maybe it's the fact I aint got a mac', since that seems to be the norm in this city....

Tell me about it..... not just on the MNRR, but I've gotten used to sitting diagonally.... I have bad posture anyway....

Doesn't make me look civilized, but I don't care about people's perception of civiility as it pertains to me......

As far as the walking up & down the aisles, that used to get to me.... that's one reason why I carry wordfind's, sudoku's (which reminds me, I gotta go out & get a new one; the mini booklets are hard to find though), and open up the ole laptop (hate doing this on the subway though, ppl. look at you like they aint never seen a damn computer before)......

....or maybe it's the fact I aint got a mac', since that seems to be the norm in this city....

No, people are just NOSY... Used to get the same **** on the express bus. Now I have my Thunderbolt and you still have nosy people. I stream my hockey games on the phone... This one nosy prick on the X10... Oh how are you watching that on your phone? I responded what do you mean how?? I have a subscription. Then he goes oh I love hockey... <_< It's like damn why can't people mind their damn business? It's not like I had the phone out show casing it either. People are so nosy that they'll use the windows on the bus to try to see what you're doing.

No, people are just NOSY... Used to get the same **** on the express bus. Now I have my Thunderbolt and you still have nosy people. I stream my hockey games on the phone... This one nosy prick on the X10... Oh how are you watching that on your phone? I responded what do you mean how?? I have a subscription. Then he goes oh I love hockey... <_< It's like damn why can't people mind their damn business? It's not like I had the phone out show casing it either. People are so nosy that they'll use the windows on the bus to try to see what you're doing.

lol.... yeah, the shoe does fit that mold....

When I have do have my laptop out on the subway (I NEVER do it on any local bus), I don't get people asking me questions though.... Same goes for the express (then again, when I take the BM's, I'm usually one of [one or two] ppl in the back row.... except for the BM1 in the morning... damn thing is always packed by time it hits utica.....

It's cheaper if you need to transfer to another bus/subway in Manhattan and you're not using it often enough to justify getting a monthly pass.

i am surprised those ppl are still falling for that ripoff of a line yet they dont see the SCAM that is the 4C. After a few PM trips I said never again for that hellhole I-87 parking lot. seriously metronorth with uniticket is cheaper. They are too loyal beacause if you do the math the 4C is a VERY BAD DEAL more like paying more for slower service. @Checkmate13 plz stop UNLIKE QM&BM BXM@/2/18 are efficient and get the job DONE. They just plain work ppl use em all the time those lines EARNED their service levels unlike some BM rtes I know and some QMs that shouldn't exist. There is no change needed on any except well a slight modification to downtown rting. The QMs need their own downtown route not the bxm18. if anything other lines should extend via FDR To downtown ppl should not have to transfer.

Those buses are going back up to the depot anyway. The worst that could happen is they get no riders in Yonkers, which would be the same thing as if they were deadheading anyway.

I sometimes surf this site in school, and there's always the one person who feels the need to stare into the screen as I'm typing, and say a stupid comment like "Oh, you like buses". Like seriously, STFU and look at your own computer.

I sometimes surf this site in school, and there's always the one person who feels the need to stare into the screen as I'm typing, and say a stupid comment like "Oh, you like buses". Like seriously, STFU and look at your own computer.

That's actually the one thing I like about the Riverdale buses is that they usually aren't packed like a sardine can since I generally don't leave to work at the height of rush hour, though on occasion I'll get the last BxM18 of the morning which can be crowded (like yesterday) or an early BxM1 Super express. Aside from that I find most folks on the Riverdale buses generally keep to their own and then folks like sitting towards the front so I'll sit towards the back and usually have no one near me, though sometimes folks like to come and sit in front of me or whatever which I don't mind so long as they're quiet and not nosy. This morning for example I got the 08:40 BxM2. The front half of the bus was crowded and the rest was relatively empty. I had no one within a seat of me and then this old white dude decided to move and sit in front of me probably because some chick came and sat in front of him and reclined all the way back on his legs. I've seen him before and he just goes to sleep or reads the paper or whatever so I was cool with it, this way I can do my thing on my phone (i.e. pay bills, check accounts or whatever I so please).

I had no one within a seat of me and then this old white dude decided to move and sit in front of me probably because some chick came and sat in front of him and reclined all the way back on his legs.

Nah, that's what you call a "Crowder".... Someone that just has to sit near someone for whatever reason - and it's usually near someone sitting all alone by himself (to attempt to form a crowd, hence the slang term).....

This happens to me too, moreso on trains than on buses..... but especially when I'm on the LIRR.....

I can't have that back corner/back section forward facing window seat to myself for s***......

Edited by B35 via Church

Nah, that's what you call a "Crowder".... Someone that just has to sit near someone for whatever reason - and it's usually near someone sitting all alone by himself (to attempt to form a crowd, hence the slang term).....

This happens to me too, moreso on trains than on buses..... but especially when I'm on the LIRR.....

I can't have that back corner/back section forward facing window seat to myself for s***......

lol... I know what seat you're referring to and I've gotten it once on the LIRR... Have yet to get it on MetroNorth though... <_<

I have seen a few folks on the BxM1 and BxM2 crowd though and the person being crowded on the BxM2 just got up and moved all the way to the back. It was pretty funny too. I don't mind it so long as the person doesn't stink and is quiet and doesn't recline. If they smell like cigarette smoke then I'm definitely moving unless nothing else is available. There was a real crazy dude the other night on the BxM1. Tall middle aged white guy that got on with us at 61st and 3rd. He was literally having a conversation with himself but almost as if he was chastising a kid. This chick turned to me and started cracking up and my face just gave the expression like "WTF?" as we waited at the bus stop. Then he gets on and heads straight to the back (we of course let him get on first this way we could avoid sitting anywhere near him), which pretty much confirmed where I'd be sitting. I chuckled out loud because I thought myself... Those folks in the back are in for a true ride.

I think the Bx31 should be reassigned to GunHill Depot. It is much easier for Bx31 buses to get to GunHill since they can take the path taken by the Bx4/4a from Westchester Square. I also have no clue how buses from Woodlawn get to West Farms. When I see buses Not In Service along Eastchester Road it's almost always a GunHill artic but somehow the route running along Eastchester belongs to West Farms.

I think the Bx31 should be reassigned to GunHill Depot. It is much easier for Bx31 buses to get to GunHill since they can take the path taken by the Bx4/4a from Westchester Square. I also have no clue how buses from Woodlawn get to West Farms. When I see buses Not In Service along Eastchester Road it's almost always a GunHill artic but somehow the route running along Eastchester belongs to West Farms.

They probably try to schedule the run-ons & run-offs from the Westchester Square end as much as possible. That way, they just have to go up Tremont Avenue and that's it (I assume if it's West Farms, it has to be somewhere near Tremont Avenue).

Or are buses allowed to go up the northern part of the Bronx River Parkway? (I mean, the BxM11 does it)

They probably try to schedule the run-ons & run-offs from the Westchester Square end as much as possible. That way, they just have to go up Tremont Avenue and that's it (I assume if it's West Farms, it has to be somewhere near Tremont Avenue).

Or are buses allowed to go up the northern part of the Bronx River Parkway? (I mean, the BxM11 does it)

That's what they probably do. It's just when I'm around Westchester Square, I don't see many buses going NIS along Tremont. Still the physical routing of Bx31 is closer to Gun Hill Depot than West Farms. Where I live all of the routes in the area are GunHill routes with the exception of Bx31.