Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense.

It was either mine or GreatOne2k's.

Wait. Which Bx25? :huh:

I don't see what overcrowding has to do with anything. If ridership in Yonkers is supposedly that low, that wouldn't add crowding to the buses. And in the earlier proposals, we were very clear that this would only apply to buses deadheading to Yonkers anyway.

Agreed. Besides the BxM3 doesn't even get crowded. The most is those using the (1) to/from w1/2 bus. The BxM1/2/18 would offer those on Riverdale Ave in Yonkers an alternative to using Metro-North at Ludlow St RR, Yonkers RR or the bus service. Doubt it would be packed anyways.

Either run the W40 to 241 St full time, or extend the Bx39 to Mt Vernon East MNRR. There were plans to run the Bx34 to Mt Vernon East MNRR at one time (early 90s).

I would just extend the w40. Usually the w40 would empty out and everyone is walking South 5th St just to hop on the 42, which of course gets crowded. Have it every hour service to/from Medical Center and IRT 241 with all other trips ending at Petrillo Plaza.

ok extend all 40 trips to 241 some to 233rd (2) then reroute select 42 hourly runs to bronxville via 52's route. Let 43 go to pelham (6) via 52's routing make 43 full time do away with 52. Then Extend Bx34 to mt vernon west RR station. Extend BX8 or 31 to empire via woodlawn and mclean ave. Off peak 43 will serve stew leonards. more on that in beeline thread.

This eliminates need to transfer to 42.

Bx35 extend to soundview morrison providing direct service to the (6) without transferring to the 27.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

ok extend all 40 trips to 241 some to 233rd (2) then reroute select 42 hourly runs to bronxville via 52's route. Let 43 go to pelham (6) via 52's routing make 43 full time do away with 52. Then Extend Bx34 to mt vernon west RR station. Extend BX8 or 31 to empire via woodlawn and mclean ave. Off peak 43 will serve stew leonards. more on that in beeline thread.

This eliminates need to transfer to 42.

Bx35 extend to soundview morrison providing direct service to the (6) without transferring to the 27.

1) The 40 doesn't need to go all the way down to 233rd / WPR. You got the 42. Besides its not as heavy compared to 241st (via the 42 to/from 233rd), that's where a lot of people would take the (2) / 42 combo. Tho, I will give you credit on sending the 40 bus to 241, instead of just Rush Hour (and that one bus around 10:30PM out of Valhalla to the Bronx via Elmsford SQ)

2) This again... The 43........ The purpose of the 43X is to give EXPRESS service for those from Medical Center to Mount Vernon and Wakefield. If people want Pelham access, let them use 40/41 LTD to Eastchester Sq for the 45. Or extend the 45 to White Plains.

3) The Bx31 is possible to have it run on Mclean Ave to Central Park Ave to at LEAST the Cross County (Ends) via Empire. This could relief the 20/21 service. The Bx8 is long enough, just have it head to 233rd as someone mentioned above.

4) The Bx35 hmmmm..... Maybe extend it to Hunts Point, instead of the planned route creation coming this 2013.

Edited by mark1447

1) The 40 doesn't need to go all the way down to 233rd / WPR. You got the 42. Besides its not as heavy compared to 241st (via the 42 to/from 233rd), that's where a lot of people would take the (2) / 42 combo. Tho, I will give you credit on sending the 40 bus to 241, instead of just Rush Hour (and that one bus around 10:30PM out of Valhalla to the Bronx via Elmsford SQ)

2) This again... The 43........ The purpose of the 43X is to give EXPRESS service for those from Medical Center to Mount Vernon and Wakefield. If people want Pelham access, let them use 40/41 LTD to Eastchester Sq for the 45. Or extend the 45 to White Plains.

3) The Bx31 is possible to have it run on Mclean Ave to Central Park Ave to at LEAST the Cross County (Ends) via Empire. This could relief the 20/21 service. The Bx8 is long enough, just have it head to 233rd as someone mentioned above.

4) The Bx35 hmmmm..... Maybe extend it to Hunts Point, instead of the planned route creation coming this 2013.

for #4 I would have Bx11 to replace that route creation rather than Bx35 that is really a setup for a change to the Bx27 details later.

#2 that attitude is why BL is slow and sometimes too slow you did not get why I suggested that 43x as it is is only rush hr BUT my plan changes it's shape that allows off peak service. Especially if extended to ossining via pleasantville streamlining the 15 enough to allow another change more details on that later. Replaces part of 19 so 43 gains parts of 2 lines killing 1 while forcing the other to change. I can't explain it in just 1 post as almost every change I think of leads to other changes which can make a more efficient system. 45 is way too slow therefore impractical. Details later.

• 4 months later...
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Culver" data-cid="640765" data-time="1359857337"><p>

Sorry to revive this, but I had one express bus route I wondered up.<br />

<br />

<a href='https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202807188220210378870.0004d43c8f7c1d3747af3&msa=0&ll=40.802895,-73.921766&spn=0.039177,0.077162'>https://maps.google....039177,0.077162</a><br />

BxM15 (or BxM12, if you want to keep it in-line with the others). First/last stop in the Bronx is Laconia/Astor. Just did this based on map. Seemed like the area had zero transit coverage.</p></blockquote>

Half of the route is parallel tithe BxM10 and BxM11

*throws out the route file*

What route? Ha.

But I do have to wonder: do people who use those routes really walk that long walk to reach them? Not really much room to park along the 10 and 11, too. The reason I thought of this was the sizable distance between Laconia and the 10 and 11 at many points.

This was in the Bus-Random Thoughts thread, but I figured I'd respond here.

I think the route should go through Woodlawn, and replace the BxM4 in that area. Then it could go back onto the Major Deegan.

This was in the Bus-Random Thoughts thread, but I figured I'd respond here.

I think the route should go through Woodlawn, and replace the BxM4 in that area. Then it could go back onto the Major Deegan.

Would work if traffic was snappy on McLean, Katonah and East 233.

Also: just looked at BxM4 service map, and that looks like the least "express" route in express route history. It makes all local stops in The Bronx down to 158 St, crosses a bridge and makes the usual express bus stops in Manhattan. It's a long-distance Limited route with 45-foot express coaches; and it runs along a subway line.

Also: just looked at BxM4 service map, and that looks like the least "express" route in express route history. It makes all local stops in The Bronx down to 158 St, crosses a bridge and makes the usual express bus stops in Manhattan. It's a long-distance Limited route with 45-foot express coaches; and it runs along a subway line.

It provides an alternative for those who want a quick run to the city and don't want to use the MNRR or the subway and also provides an alternative to folks that are going to Yankees games.  Even with the stops, the route is still only about one hour from end to end.  I know what the schedule states but that's only if there is traffic/and or tons of passengers.  Most runs finish quicker.

Having runs over one hour makes it easier for them to be targeted to be cut since they cost more as the run time gets longer so it would be best to keep it the way it is.  If anything the (MTA) has cut back on the number of stops on that line which has cut down the run time.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Resulted in a 13%+ decease in annual ridership (Want from 182K in 2009 to 118K currently or last in the last three-four years). So sad. -_-

Edited by Metro CSW

Agreed. Besides the BxM3 doesn't even get crowded. The most is those using the (1) to/from w1/2 bus. The BxM1/2/18 would offer those on Riverdale Ave in Yonkers an alternative to using Metro-North at Ludlow St RR, Yonkers RR or the bus service. Doubt it would be packed anyways.

I would just extend the w40. Usually the w40 would empty out and everyone is walking South 5th St just to hop on the 42, which of course gets crowded. Have it every hour service to/from Medical Center and IRT 241 with all other trips ending at Petrillo Plaza.

Here we go with this again... Let me be in clear in saying we would fight tooth and nail against any extension to Yonkers.  The BxM3 which is also a Riverdale express bus (albeit it Downstairs Riverdale) excluding it not terminating in Yonkers is sufficient enough and if they aren't using that then that means there is no reason to extend any other NYC buses there past the city borderline, lengthening routes unnecessarily and making them potentially more unreliable and more expensive to operate to Westchester on the city's dime.  Completely ridiculous. City taxes should be going for city services.  We're already cleaning up their mess with the BxM18 picking up BxM4C riders.  Enough is enough with this utter concern about Westchester residents while using city dollars. NYC NEEDS MORE BUS SERVICE. Let's worry about what we need and let Westchester deal with their problems.

The BxM4 he was talking about.....

I know the line... I'm just not understanding what you mean was the "result" of the decrease in ridership??

I know the line... I'm just not understanding what you mean was the "result" of the decrease in ridership??

Oh Sorry, I was just present a status report on the route. My apologies, VG8. It is useful for those who get a headache from the (4) and MNRR itself, as you said before.

Oh Sorry, I was just present a status report on the route. My apologies, VG8. It is useful for those who get a headache from the (4) and MNRR itself, as you said before.

The decrease in ridership on the BxM4 is mainly from the economy... Not at all shocking... I believe ridership along the Grand Concourse has dropped from what it used to be which is one reason they eliminated some stops but also to allow the route to move a bit quicker. I know this for a fact from talking with people who live near the bus along the Concourse and folks there in most cases are simply too poor to afford the express bus which was why the variants were cut and with the economy being worse now, most just use the subway even if the express bus is more convenient.

If you look at the areas hardest hit by decreases in ridership, you'll see a trend with high unemployment and high decreases in ridership.  Riverdale has seen very little by way of unemployment spikes compared to other areas. I believe our unemployment numbers are in line with areas like the Upper East Side, which also has low unemployment rates and has been relatively unaffected by the recession and with the exception of the BxM1, the other two Riverdale express routes have remained relatively stable (BxM2 and BxM18 that is) in 2011 and I would expect the 2012 numbers to be similar if they don't increase slightly.

Here we go with this again... Let me be in clear in saying we would fight tooth and nail against any extension to Yonkers.  The BxM3 which is also a Riverdale express bus (albeit it Downstairs Riverdale) excluding it not terminating in Yonkers is sufficient enough and if they aren't using that then that means there is no reason to extend any other NYC buses there past the city borderline, lengthening routes unnecessarily and making them potentially more unreliable and more expensive to operate to Westchester on the city's dime.  Completely ridiculous. City taxes should be going for city services.  We're already cleaning up their mess with the BxM18 picking up BxM4C riders.  Enough is enough with this utter concern about Westchester residents while using city dollars. NYC NEEDS MORE BUS SERVICE. Let's worry about what we need and let Westchester deal with their problems.

A little tardy to the party aren't you?

And there's nothing saying Westchster & NYC can't split the costs.

And big deal, a few BxM4C riders transfer to the BxM18 (not to mention, that transfer is only free in one direction).

The decrease in ridership on the BxM4 is mainly from the economy... Not at all shocking... I believe ridership along the Grand Concourse has dropped from what it used to be which is one reason they eliminated some stops but also to allow the route to move a bit quicker. I know this for a fact from talking with people who live near the bus along the Concourse and folks there in most are simply too poor to afford the express bus which was why the variants were cut and with the economy being worse now, most just use the subway even if the express bus is more convenient.

If you look at the areas hardest hit by decreases in ridership, you'll see a trend with high unemployment and high decreases in ridership.  Riverdale has seen very little by way unemployment spikes compared to other areas. I believe our unemployment numbers are in line with areas like the Upper East Side and with the exception of the BxM1, the other two express routes have remained relatively stable (BxM2 and BxM18 that is) from 2010 - 2011.

It's one variant. And the buses were rerouted to serve Woodlawn instead of Bedford Park. Service along the Grand Concourse remained the same.

And ridership on the Riverdale routes didn't fare noticeably better than any other routes across the city.

The decrease in ridership on the BxM4 is mainly from the economy... Not at all shocking... I believe ridership along the Grand Concourse has dropped from what it used to be which is one reason they eliminated some stops but also to allow the route to move a bit quicker. I know this for a fact from talking with people who live near the bus along the Concourse and folks there in most are simply too poor to afford the express bus which was why the variants were cut and with the economy being worse now, most just use the subway even if the express bus is more convenient.

Oh. I see. Interesting enough to say the most. Being that I haven't been on Express buses in the bronx in a long time. B-)Thanks for that, sir.

Oh. I see. Interesting enough to say the most. Being that I haven't been on Express buses in the bronx in a long time. B-)Thanks for that, sir.

Yeah... As the fares keep increasing it will be interesting to see how ridership fares on express buses across the city.  I don't expect any express bus lines to see huge increases in ridership.  If anything they'll remain stable or see small increases even in areas where folks can afford them.

Yeah... As the fares keep increasing it will be interesting to see how ridership fares on express buses across the city.  I don't expect any express bus lines to see huge increases in ridership.  If anything they'll remain stable or see small increases even in areas where folks can afford them.

Well this tells me that the fare-hikes are justifiable actually. I'm gotta expect people bitching about this on the bus soon, huh? (As usual <_<) Whatever....

Proposals anybody?

Edited by Metro CSW

Well this tells me that the fare-hikes are justifiable actually. I'm gotta expect people bitching about this on the bus soon, huh? (As usual <_<) Whatever....

Proposals anybody?

Got my Bx15 back on page 17, with one post suggesting it would fail. I'd like some more feedback on it.