Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

Another idea I have, in order to have the bee lines on Boston road go fully express and not have to be open door, I would sort of reroute the Bx30 and create a new Bx37 route. I would cut the Bx30 to the Bx16 terminal and have the Bx37 run between Bronx Park East (2)<5> and Co-op City (replacing the Bx30 to Co-op City). It would run 10-15 minutes everyday. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another idea I have, in order to have the bee lines on Boston road go fully express and not have to be open door, I would sort of reroute the Bx30 and create a new Bx37 route. I would cut the Bx30 to the Bx16 terminal and have the Bx37 run between Bronx Park East (2)<5> and Co-op City (replacing the Bx30 to Co-op City). It would run 10-15 minutes everyday. Any thoughts?

Not to be impatient or so, but does anyone have advice for me on my Bx37 plan?

Maybe I should have my Bx37 go to west farms like the old Bx39 terminal...... just a random thought.

Street reconfiguration around the hub; Buses couldn't take melrose straight down to 3rd anymore...

Melrose now is one way SB for the 1 block b/w 150th & 149th, and all SB traffic have to turn WB at 149th...

The issue is that the Bx2 could have continued running  via Melrose if they used E150/52 (NB) and E151 (SB) to get to Third. It seemed like they really wanted the Bx1 as the sole LTD down GC and that couldn't be done with the Bx2 turning off at 165. 

Not to be impatient or so, but does anyone have advice for me on my Bx37 plan?

Maybe I should have my Bx37 go to west farms like the old Bx39 terminal...... just a random thought.

I think this was brought up before but sending the 30 to Ropes with the 16 puts too much service in that small portion of Eastchester and robs the 30 of a great deal of ridership. 

You didnt give a routing but the Bx37 BPE to Co-op sounds like its a combo Bx30/39 (WPR/Boston/Co-op?)... the problem is that there isn't much around BPE to warrant terminating a route there with the Bx22/39 covering that area pretty well and it might be too much service on Boston Rd

The issue is that the Bx2 could have continued running  via Melrose if they used E150/52 (NB) and E151 (SB) to get to Third. It seemed like they really wanted the Bx1 as the sole LTD down GC and that couldn't be done with the Bx2 turning off at 165.

They wanted the Bx1 as the only LTD regardless....

• 3 months later...

SX BxM7 and BxM9 proposal

BxM7 (PM)

Super Express would operate from 4:15 PM to 6:45 PM. These expresses serve only 23 Street and 35 Street, following the QM20SX until the Whitestone, then going along the Whitestone, to the Bronx and to CO-Op City. The current 4:07 PM & 6:52 PM will be a short-turn trip starting from 44 Street at 4:23 PM and 6:59 PM (respectively) under this new schedule

Departure times for the BxM7 SX from 23 Street

4:15 PM, 4:30 PM, 4:45 PM, 5:00 PM, 5:15 PM, 5:30 PM, 5:45 PM, 6:00 PM, 6:15 PM, 6:30 PM, 6:45 PM

Depature Times for the BxM7 Short-turn from 44 Street

4:23 PM, 4:33 PM, 4:43 PM, 4:53 PM, 5:01 PM, 5:09 PM, 5:17 PM, 5:25 PM, 5:35 PM, 5:45 PM, 5:55 PM, 6:05 PM, 6:15 PM, 6:25 PM, 6:35 PM, 6:47 PM, 6:59 PM, 

BxM9 (AM)

Super Express operates from 6:40 AM to 7:50 AM

Depature Times for the Super Express

6:45 AM, 6:58 AM, 7:10 AM, 7:22 AM, 7:34 AM, 7:47 AM

Departure Times for the Short-turn to 44 Street

6:40 AM, 6:48 AM, 6:56 AM, 7:04 AM, 7:12 AM, 7:20 AM, 7:30 AM, 7:40 AM, 7:50 AM

• 3 weeks later...

so I think a few routes could use a little tweaking.

Bx34..... gone.

Bx28.... Rush hour limited stop service introduced northeast of Norwood.

Bx38... extended to Fordham Center to replace the Bx34.

Bx10, rerouted and extended to Woodlawn to replace the Bx34. from Bedford Park, north on Concourse, east on Van Cortlandt, north on Bainbridge, current Bx34 routing.

Bx7, cut to 207th Street only, replaced by M100a via Broadway, while M100b uses 10th Ave.

Those proposals have been nrought up before, which I don't agree with. The Bx10 is unrelaible for whatever reason. Extending it to Woodlawn will further make those problems worse. I think the Bx34 works fine as it is.

With the Bx7, quite a lot of people use it below 207 Street. You would also need to increase M100 service to work. So really, you're not saving anything, and you're inconveniencing Bronx riders.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

- If it weren't for Montefiore, I swear I'd have the Bx10 ending with the Bee-line's (@ Bedford Park (4))... I hate to say this (since I like to 'fan the route), but in Kingsbridge Hgts., it's like the route is an afterthought (the Bx1/2, and 3 are simply sought after/utilized more), and east of that point, it's basically a "school route" that happens to serve a hospital...... The major difference b/w the Bx1/2 & the Bx10 is that the latter directly serves Lehman & Bx HSoS...... If the Bx2 served the (1), I would have it divert over the Bx10 path b/w Goulden/Sedgwick & GC/BPB, but since the Bx2 ends on Sedgwick, there's no point.....

- Why do some underestimate the amt. of ppl taking the Bx7 from Washington Hgts. into the Bronx? There's no need to force anymore people onto the (1) - because that's exactly what's going to happen, have Bx7's end at 207th from the north..... You're not going to get people to xfer b/w the M100 & the Bx7 at 207th.....

Furthermore, the splitting of the old M100 (Harlem - Riverdale) forming the Bx7 back in 1989 made sense; route was simply too long for its own good).... Having M100's branched along 10th av & along broadway for the purpose of cutting the Bx7 to 207th makes none... Nothing is being rectified by having that happen....

- If it weren't for Montefiore, I swear I'd have the Bx10 ending with the Bee-line's (@ Bedford Park (4))... I hate to say this (since I like to 'fan the route), but in Kingsbridge Hgts., it's like the route is an afterthought (the Bx1/2, and 3 are simply sought after/utilized more), and east of that point, it's basically a "school route" that happens to serve a hospital...... The major difference b/w the Bx1/2 & the Bx10 is that the latter directly serves Lehman & Bx HSoS...... If the Bx2 served the (1), I would have it divert over the Bx10 path b/w Goulden/Sedgwick & GC/BPB, but since the Bx2 ends on Sedgwick, there's no point.....

- Why do some underestimate the amt. of ppl taking the Bx7 from Washington Hgts. into the Bronx? There's no need to force anymore people onto the (1) - because that's exactly what's going to happen, have Bx7's end at 207th from the north..... You're not going to get people to xfer b/w the M100 & the Bx7 at 207th.....

Furthermore, the splitting of the old M100 (Harlem - Riverdale) forming the Bx7 back in 1989 made sense; route was simply too long for its own good).... Having M100's branched along 10th av & along broadway for the purpose of cutting the Bx7 to 207th makes none... Nothing is being rectified by having that happen....

wasnt there a time when the Bx10 followed the Bx1 via Sedgwick/Heath to 231st? If so, why was that changed?

wasnt there a time when the Bx10 followed the Bx1 via Sedgwick/Heath to 231st? If so, why was that changed?

They had too much service on Sedgwick, and moving it to Bailey closed up a gap in service in Kingsbridge Heights.

Those proposals hav The Bx10 is unrelaible for whatever reason. Extending it to Woodlawn will further make those problems worse. 

West of Van Cortlandt Av it's fine... but from Bailey/VCW to Norwood it's unreliable because it has a habit of catching every light. It has no choice but to run down to BPB but having it run on Paul Avenue and 205 Street as well adds a good 3-5 minutes depending on the time of day.

I've decided that the Bx10 should not be combined with the 34 but instead shortened by Lehman College, and stay on 205th St from Goulden all the way to Jerome. Would speed up a lot of time doing that. Can still connect to the Bx22, 26 & 28 at Paul & 205th. Still connects to the (4) and the Bee-Lines by Mosholu Pkwy.

I've decided that the Bx10 should not be combined with the 34 but instead shortened by Lehman College, and stay on 205th St from Goulden all the way to Jerome. Would speed up a lot of time doing that. Can still connect to the Bx22, 26 & 28 at Paul & 205th. Still connects to the (4) and the Bee-Lines by Mosholu Pkwy.

Whatever changes made to the Bx10 in the Bronx east of 231st in Kingsbridge should be thought out carefully.  The people that commute for work or school would be pissed the most given how hilly some areas that the Bx10 passes through are.

So basically your route mirrors the Bx6 to Bruckner, then goes Bruckner serv. rd > E. Tremont av > Harding av > to mirror the Bx8 to Tierney pl....

The immediate thing I'm thinking is, Why are you trying to connect Hunts Point & Soundview with Throgs Neck & Locust Point? There's no demand for this...

Is there any actual demand for such a route?

Actually, this route was meant to serve as an alternative to the (6) (Hunts Point Avenue-Parkchester) and  :bus_bullet_bx7:. The route is also supposed to be a crosstown that serves Bruckner Boulevard (the service road, that is). 

Actually, this route was meant to serve as an alternative to the (6) (Hunts Point Avenue-Parkchester) and  :bus_bullet_bx7:.

The route is also supposed to be a crosstown that serves Bruckner Boulevard (the service road, that is). 

I can understand wanting to serve Bruckner service road, but I don't know why you'd run it to Locust point in-particular.... Better off ending with the Bx42 (I'd leave the 40 ending by itself out there at the college)....

Now that I think about it a little more, it is a PITA to get from Throgs Neck to Westchester Sq (same deal with Castle Hill to the (6) on the Bx22, but from Throgs Neck is worse)..... Buses crawl up E. Tremont (well, period), but including b/w Throgs Neck & the 6..... If I were to blow up the Bronx bus network & start anew, your idea would make sense - but I wouldn't stop at Hunts Point as a western terminal though.... The Bx5 would have to cease to exist for it to work out....

Just look at how many "experiments" the MTA has done with the Bx5 to try to spawn moe pax on the eastern portion of the route (east of Soundview, not inclusive)....

But I digress....

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've been using the BxM8 for one of my tutoring sessions, I think the BxM8 should indeed have more trips serving City Island.  It's a really fast trip from the Upper East Side, and while they're would be tons of riders, given how short the trip is to Pelham Bay, it wouldn't hurt.  More folks could go to City Island with the express bus.

Would extending the Bx35 down to the Hunts Point Food Center with the Bx6 be a viable alternative to the Bx46?

For what? I think the Bronx gets spoiled with local bus service, in part because of the hilly topography throughout.  It gets people on the buses that would probably not use them since they don't want to deal with the hills.

So I had an idea for a bus route, not thinking about the whole ridership crap or anything, just made it for fun.

The Bx24/Bx37 locals and Bx45/Bx47 limiteds:

The Bx24 serves as a local counterpart for the Bx45, and Bx37 a local counterpart for the Bx47. All routes run from Woodlawn-Katonah Avenue to Astoria-31st Street (Bx24/37 during midday, late nights, and weekends), and Queens Plaza (Bx45/47, 24/37 during rush hours only).

The Bx24/45 run via Jerome Avenue all the way down to 161st Street, then via the Major Deegan to the RFK Bridge, then over to Astoria Blvd and 31st (where the locals terminate), and turn on 31st running down to Queens Plaza-28th Street.

The Bx37/47 run via Jerome to Moshulu Parkway, then run via the Grand Concourse Main Road all the way down to 138th Street, then runs on the Major Deegan and follows the same routing as the Bx24/45.

FYI this isn't a huge planned out route so please dont trash me for this. I know some parts are weird and everything but I just came up with this route and wanted to see how you guys think it can be improved.

So I had an idea for a bus route, not thinking about the whole ridership crap or anything, just made it for fun.

The Bx24 serves as a local counterpart for the Bx45, and Bx37 a local counterpart for the Bx47. All routes run from Woodlawn-Katonah Avenue to Astoria-31st Street (Bx24/37 during midday, late nights, and weekends), and Queens Plaza (Bx45/47, 24/37 during rush hours only).

The Bx24/45 run via Jerome Avenue all the way down to 161st Street, then via the Major Deegan to the RFK Bridge, then over to Astoria Blvd and 31st (where the locals terminate), and turn on 31st running down to Queens Plaza-28th Street.

The Bx37/47 run via Jerome to Moshulu Parkway, then run via the Grand Concourse Main Road all the way down to 138th Street, then runs on the Major Deegan and follows the same routing as the Bx24/45.

FYI this isn't a huge planned out route so please dont trash me for this. I know some parts are weird and everything but I just came up with this route and wanted to see how you guys think it can be improved.

Why Woodlawn to Astoria? I don't see the connection???  Woodlawn is rather isolated, and the residents like it that way, so I don't see anyone going from Woodlawn to Astoria.

Why duplicate the (4) and the Bx1/2?

Why Woodlawn to Astoria? I don't see the connection??? Woodlawn is rather isolated, and the residents like it that way, so I don't see anyone going from Woodlawn to Astoria.

I don't really see any route going from Woodlawn to south of Tremont Av. Most just use the (4) or BxM4 to connect to Manhattan and take the other routes to Astoria, assuming they make the trip to Astoria. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Remember the Bx41 running from Bruckner Blvd in Mott Haven to Wakefield? There should not be a route like that ever again.

I don't really see any route going from Woodlawn to south of Tremont Av. Most just use the (4) or BxM4 to connect to Manhattan and take the other routes to Astoria, assuming they make the trip to Astoria.

Actually depending on where in Manhattan, most in Woodlawn take Metro-North.  The BxM4 is used by some of the elderly and Irish men that get off on the Upper East Side or areas in the 50s and 60s above Grand Central.  The rest take the bus to the (4) train.

Actually depending on where in Manhattan, most in Woodlawn take Metro-North. The BxM4 is used by some of the elderly and Irish men that get off on the Upper East Side or areas in the 50s and 60s above Grand Central. The rest take the bus to the (4) train.

Oh yeah the Metro-North. One would take it to Grand Central to connect to the (7). Forgot about that.

C'mon Btrain you should be an expert at traveling :D