Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

It runs on the "service road" currently so I wondered if a set up like the B7 on Kings Highway would work. It doesn't run frequently enough to mar traffic, the islands are already there and less lights...

I don't think that's necessary, and with the way traffic flies along the Concourse on the real main road (not the service road), it doesn't make any sense.  It would just increase the likelihood of fatalities or injuries, especially with seniors who would be trying to get to the islands and duck and dodge traffic.  I have seen numerous people almost run over while on the BxM4 as they attempt to cross the Concourse.  The reality is that some BxM4 B/Os already use the main road where possible if they know that people aren't getting at certain stops.  The real bottleneck that always infuriates me is the one by Fordham Road.  Having to take the service road there Northbound can eat up anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes with the amount of double parking along the Concourse and cars turning onto Fordham Road.  The traffic agents should be over there writing tickets to stop that nonsense.  When no one is getting off at Fordham Road and the B/O gets off of the service road and onto the main road, getting past Fordham Road is a breeze.  Oddly enough, Southbound, I don't notice any of the aforementioned issues with traffic and the like.

I say extend the BxM4 up to Cross County Shopping Center in Yonkers via Kimball Ave. That would bring in some more riders to the route.

I agree.  It isn't that long of a ride either, as I am picked up by my client from Katonah and 242nd and their residence is close to the Shopping Center.  It's a 5 minute ride tops.  I would make 2 or three stops along Kimball, and have it terminate right inside the shopping center.  

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that's necessary, and with the way traffic flies along the Concourse on the real main road (not the service road), it doesn't make any sense.  It would just increase the likelihood of fatalities or injuries, especially with seniors who would be trying to get to the islands and duck and dodge traffic.  I have seen numerous people almost run over while on the BxM4 as they attempt to cross the Concourse.  The reality is that some BxM4 B/Os already use the main road where possible if they know that people aren't getting at certain stops.  The real bottleneck that always infuriates me is the one by Fordham Road.  Having to take the service road there Northbound can eat up anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes with the amount of double parking along the Concourse and cars turning onto Fordham Road.  The traffic agents should be over there writing tickets to stop that nonsense.  When no one is getting off at Fordham Road and the B/O gets off of the service road and onto the main road, getting past Fordham Road is a breeze.  Oddly enough, Southbound, I don't notice any of the aforementioned issues with traffic and the like.

I agree.  It isn't that long of a ride either, as I am picked up by my client from Katonah and 242nd and their residence is close to the Shopping Center.  It's a 5 minute ride tops.  I would make 2 or three stops along Kimball, and have it terminate right inside the shopping center.  

I think an extended BxM4 to Cross County-Yonkers should make the following stops:

Kimball Ave/McLean Ave (no longer stops at 242nd St)

Kimball Ave/Scott Ave

Kimball Ave/Sterling Ave

Kimball Ave/Yonkers Ave

Kimball Ave/Miles Square Rd

Cross County Shopping Ctr.

I also would bring back the Super Express with these new added stops in Yonkers.

I think an extended BxM4 to Cross County-Yonkers should make the following stops:

Kimball Ave/McLean Ave (no longer stops at 242nd St)

Kimball Ave/Scott Ave

Kimball Ave/Sterling Ave

Kimball Ave/Yonkers Ave

Kimball Ave/Miles Square Rd

Cross County Shopping Ctr.

I also would bring back the Super Express with these new added stops in Yonkers.

I would not remove the Katonah and 242nd street stop... Are you crazy?  Residents in Woodlawn will not want to walk up the hill from 237th and Katonah to their homes, and there are quite a few people that live along Van Cortlandt Park East in Woodlawn that use that stop.  That part of Woodlawn is the well-to-do part if you will, even though Woodlawn is not really upper middle class or even affluent, but solid middle class, but the solid middle class areas (over $70k) are right along Van Cortlandt Park East and that is ridership that the BxM4 can ill afford to lose.  

I would not remove the Katonah and 242nd street stop... Are you crazy?  Residents in Woodlawn will not want to walk up the hill from 237th and Katonah to their homes, and there are quite a few people that live along Van Cortlandt Park East in Woodlawn that use that stop.  That part of Woodlawn is the well-to-do part if you will, even though Woodlawn is not really upper middle class or even affluent, but solid middle class, but the solid middle class areas (over $70k) are right along Van Cortlandt Park East and that is ridership that the BxM4 can ill afford to lose.  

I was saying it would now stop at McLean Ave which is pretty much in walking distance.

I wouldn't remove 242nd/Katonah either - regardless of which side of the street the physical bus stop would be located on at Kimball/McLean....

I wouldn't run such an extension all the way up to Cross County either; it isn't necessary... I already spoke on this numerous times, Yonkers Raceway is enough; potential patrons can use it for a park & ride instead.... It's enough of a PITA getting out of cross county as it is.... If the idea is to attract shoppers, forget that....

Edited by B35 via Church

I wouldn't remove 242nd/Katonah either - regardless of which side of the street the physical bus stop would be located on at Kimball/McLean....

I wouldn't run such an extension all the way up to Cross County either; it isn't necessary... I already spoke on this numerous times, Yonkers Raceway is enough; potential patrons can use it for a park & ride instead.... It's enough of a PITA getting out of cross county as it is.... If the idea is to attract shoppers, forget that....

I think it could though esp. if you added some SX trips... Some people use that as a park and ride anyway.  One of my clients lives in a co-op very close by and parks their Acura there and has their other car in a parking space on they pay for with the co-op.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

right where the B-L 25, 26, and 55 stop

You mean right outside the Macy's. If you're having them run up/down Kimball, you might as well add a stop on the other side of the mall (maybe even outside mall property, near the Sears parking lot) since its gonna go past it.

That walk from Macy's to Sears is no joke

• 2 weeks later...

What's up with the construction at Fordham Plaza?

Search me.... The last time I was out there {earlier on in the year}, it was 5 in the morning, and the only thing on my mind at the time was catching the Bx9 (up to 242nd for some bee line fanning)....

I'd like to know just what it is they're supposed to be doing with Fordham Plaza exactly; are they adding amenities or something? Is it solely some cosmetic enhancement?.... Hell, at least I know what they want to do w/ WBP....

Search me.... The last time I was out there {earlier on in the year}, it was 5 in the morning, and the only thing on my mind at the time was catching the Bx9 (up to 242nd for some bee line fanning)....

I'd like to know just what it is they're supposed to be doing with Fordham Plaza exactly; are they adding amenities or something? Is it solely some cosmetic enhancement?.... Hell, at least I know what they want to do w/ WBP....

What's up with the construction at Fordham Plaza?

Yes that whole area is being re-done for new tenants to move in. 

They're putting a condo there?

This should clarify things for you:

EXISTING PLANS & UPCOMING PROJECTS

Several current and future projects will help contribute to strengthening the area. These include the following:

•  The Fordham station renovation began in 2013. This $18 million project will provide vital amenities for this transit hub including: widening the platforms, adding new canopies, and installing real-time train information monitors in the station.

•  The reconstruction of Fordham Plaza is currently under way. The project is a partnership between the Economic Development Corporation and the NYC Department of Transportation. It is intended to transform Fordham Plaza into a world-class public space.

Source: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/sustainable_communities/bronx_metro_report/fordham.pdf

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Since one has posted in over a week...

Route

Bx68

Hours of Availability

24/7. Late nights route runs 15-20 minutes. 

Depot for this Route 

West Farms

Route Overview

The route starts at Hunts Point Market with the  :bus_bullet_bx6: following that route. Then, it will make a right at Bruckner Boulevard, serving the local streets. It continues straight on that street when reaching the Bruckner Interchange until East Tremont Avenue, and joins with the  :bus_bullet_bx40: and  :bus_bullet_bx42:. It keeps on following the :bus_bullet_bx40: until Harding Avenue, where it will make a left. Later, it will continue on Harding Avenue until Pennyfield Avenue to join the  :bus_bullet_bx8:, and terminate with it at Locust Point (a neighborhood where it overlooks the Throgs Neck Bridge). The return route follows the  :bus_bullet_bx8: until Pennyfield Avenue, but continuing straight onto Harding Avenue until meeting the  :bus_bullet_bx40: where it makes a right. It continues straight north on East Tremont Avenue until reaching Bruckner Boulevard turning left. It continues straight on Bruckner Boulevard all the way until Hunts Point Avenue where it makes a left. From there, it re-meets the  :bus_bullet_bx6:, following that route to with it (along with the Bx46) to terminate at Hunts Point Produce Market. 

Bus Fleet

This route will use all of West Farms' standard local fleet. RTS'es 4671, 4672, 4673, and 4674 will be reserved for this route.

Benefits

Gives local residents easier access to Clason Point, Soundview, Castle Hill, and Schuylerville.

Overall, what do you think?

Route

Bx68

Hours of Availability

Depot for this Route 

West Farms

Route Overview

The route starts at Hunts Point Market with the  :bus_bullet_bx6: following that route. Then, it will make a right at Bruckner Boulevard, serving the local streets. It continues straight on that street when reaching the Bruckner Interchange until East Tremont Avenue, and joins with the  :bus_bullet_bx40: and  :bus_bullet_bx42:. It keeps on following the :bus_bullet_bx40: until Harding Avenue, where it will make a left. Later, it will continue on Harding Avenue until Pennyfield Avenue to join the  :bus_bullet_bx8:, and terminate with it at Locust Point (a neighborhood where it overlooks the Throgs Neck Bridge). The return route follows the  :bus_bullet_bx8: until Pennyfield Avenue, but continuing straight onto Harding Avenue until meeting the  :bus_bullet_bx40: where it makes a right. It continues straight north on East Tremont Avenue until reaching Bruckner Boulevard turning left. It continues straight on Bruckner Boulevard all the way until Hunts Point Avenue where it makes a left. From there, it re-meets the  :bus_bullet_bx6:, following that route to with it (along with the Bx46) to terminate at Hunts Point Produce Market. 

Bus Fleet

This route will use all of West Farms' standard local fleet. RTS'es 4671, 4672, 4673, and 4674 will be reserved for this route.

Benefits

Gives local residents easier access to Clason Point, Soundview, Castle Hill, and Schuylerville.

Is there any actual demand for such a route?

Route

Bx68

Hours of Availability

Depot for this Route 

West Farms

Route Overview

The route starts at Hunts Point Market with the  :bus_bullet_bx6: following that route. Then, it will make a right at Bruckner Boulevard, serving the local streets. It continues straight on that street when reaching the Bruckner Interchange until East Tremont Avenue, and joins with the  :bus_bullet_bx40: and  :bus_bullet_bx42:. It keeps on following the :bus_bullet_bx40: until Harding Avenue, where it will make a left. Later, it will continue on Harding Avenue until Pennyfield Avenue to join the  :bus_bullet_bx8:, and terminate with it at Locust Point (a neighborhood where it overlooks the Throgs Neck Bridge).

The return route follows the  :bus_bullet_bx8: until Pennyfield Avenue, but continuing straight onto Harding Avenue until meeting the  :bus_bullet_bx40: where it makes a right. It continues straight north on East Tremont Avenue until reaching Bruckner Boulevard turning left. It continues straight on Bruckner Boulevard all the way until Hunts Point Avenue where it makes a left. From there, it re-meets the  :bus_bullet_bx6:, following that route to with it (along with the Bx46) to terminate at Hunts Point Produce Market. 

Bus Fleet

Benefits

So basically your route mirrors the Bx6 to Bruckner, then goes Bruckner serv. rd > E. Tremont av > Harding av > to mirror the Bx8 to Tierney pl....

The immediate thing I'm thinking is, Why are you trying to connect Hunts Point & Soundview with Throgs Neck & Locust Point? There's no demand for this...

Maybe he (The New York Elevated) feels the Bx5 is that bad along Bruckner...Wasn't the (MTA) planning some kind of BRT on Bruckner anyway?

Wait a minute...this doesn't even connect to a subway station!

Edited by Q43LTD

Maybe he (The New York Elevated) feels the Bx5 is that bad along Bruckner...Wasn't the (MTA) planning some kind of BRT on Bruckner anyway?

Wait a minute...this doesn't even connect to a subway station!

It connects to the (6) at hunts point. And there is planning for a Bruckner corridor.

This idea seems decent, but again, is there demand for it?

Why was the Bx2 rerouted away from 165th Street and Melrose Avenue?

Street reconfiguration around the hub; Buses couldn't take melrose straight down to 3rd anymore...

Melrose now is one way SB for the 1 block b/w 150th & 149th, and all SB traffic have to turn WB at 149th...