IRT Terminating at Atlantic

Jsunflyguy

How did IRT trains terminate at Atlantic Ave?

Certainly today's layout doesn't lend itself to such an operation unless you were wiling to terminate trains on the uptown track and turn them quickly.

Also according to http://www.erictb.info/linehistory.html#6 a (6) train went to Brooklyn and terminated at Atlantic, what would cause a (6) to go that way?

How did IRT trains terminate at Atlantic Ave?

Certainly today's layout doesn't lend itself to such an operation unless you were wiling to terminate trains on the uptown track and turn them quickly.

Also according to http://www.erictb.info/linehistory.html#6 a (6) train went to Brooklyn and terminated at Atlantic, what would cause a (6) to go that way?

For many years the (4) and (5) terminated at Atlantic Avenue during weekdays between the am and pm rush hours. Trains would pull in on the express tracks, passengers would enter or leave, and the crews would be replaced and trains head back north. The dispatcher's office is located at the north end of the express platform and crew room and restrooms were located down the steps just past the office. Both tracks were utilized and the operation at Atlantic was no different than the one at New Lots, White Plains Road, or Woodlawn. Trains pull in, crew and passengers exit. New crew and passengers board. Doors close. Train leaves. Same as any other terminal in the TA. I did it for years and never thought it was difficult or unique. Carry on.

When I saw this topic I thought we were reffering to an uptown (3) terminating during an unplanned service change and that's very hard to do.You need the northbound express tracks to be clear.Then when it leaves the spur you need both southbound tracks to be clear.

The 6 going to Brooklyn is not that uncommon.There used to,be G.Os that sent it down.And as mentioned it could be to ease Brooklyn Bridge congestion,

Never knew about any scheduled 6 service to Brooklyn. But one of the most unusual sites I ever saw was when I was going to Brooklyn and the (4) and (5)s were delayed so they sent (6)s to Brooklyn.

As I was walking down the platform to the exit, another (6) was pulling in, but apparently the same thing happened on the 7th Avenue Line so at the exact same time a (6) was pulling in one one of the tracks a (1) was pulling in on the other! How I wish I had a camera with me at that moment.

Never knew about any scheduled 6 service to Brooklyn. But one of the most unusual sites I ever saw was when I was going to Brooklyn and the (4) and (5)s were delayed so they sent (6)s to Brooklyn.

As I was walking down the platform to the exit, another (6) was pulling in, but apparently the same thing happened on the 7th Avenue Line so at the exact same time a (6) was pulling in one one of the tracks a (1) was pulling in on the other! How I wish I had a camera with me at that moment.

A little bit off topic but in one of the many announcement videos on YouTube there's a (5) to Woodlawn GO. From the YouTube comments I grasped that that's a very, very rare GO. I'm wondering if you've ever caught it (or saw it)? :)

I remember when the R62s first came online on the (4) as a little boy, the bottom destination sign said Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn. Rode it into Manhattan from Nevins St

I remember that.  The (4) and (5) used to on weekdays terminate at Atlantic Avenue in middays.   (4) service to Utica was evenings and weekends in the days when the (3) terminated at Flatbush Avenue and (2) went to New Lots (Rush-hour (4) s back then went to Flatbush Avenue) before replacing the (3) to New Lots in the overnights when the (2) and (3) swapped Brooklyn terminals in 1983.

I remember that.  The (4) and (5) used to on weekdays terminate at Atlantic Avenue in middays.   (4) service to Utica was evenings and weekends in the days when the (3) terminated at Flatbush Avenue and (2) went to New Lots (Rush-hour (4) s back then went to Flatbush Avenue) before replacing the (3) to New Lots in the overnights when the (2) and (3) swapped Brooklyn terminals in 1983.

Because of the same reason for the (N) and (R) switch in that the (3) had no place to go for repairs, while the (2) had 240 St and Livonia

A little bit off topic but in one of the many announcement videos on YouTube there's a (5) to Woodlawn GO. From the YouTube comments I grasped that that's a very, very rare GO. I'm wondering if you've ever caught it (or saw it)? :)

Don't know what You Tube video you are referring to, but I never saw a 5 to Woodlawn.

More off topic, when I was young, however, I remember when the 1 to 6 were entirely Lo Vs and how surprised I was the first day in 1954 when I saw a train with fluorescent lights on the Number 6, Lex Av local. I forget the R # but it was the 6500 series. After the 6 was completely converted, they were put on the #1 line. I coudn't understand why the new cars were put on the local lines first. It took a few more years like around 1960 when fluorescent lit cars came to the 2 and 3. When the new cars came to the 7 for the 1964 Worlds Fair, those cars were finally moved to the Lex and all the Lo Vs were retired. So the process took ten years.

The R-cars may have had better acceleration than the Lo-Vs making them better suited to local work. Also express lines became Shuttles (the 3 and 5 come to mind) allowing more Lo-Vs to go Out-of-service and "rest" giving them a slight life extension.

The R-cars may have had better acceleration than the Lo-Vs making them better suited to local work. Also express lines became Shuttles (the 3 and 5 come to mind) allowing more Lo-Vs to go Out-of-service and "rest" giving them a slight life extension.

I'm not so sure about the acceleration part. Everytime I see a Lo-V video on YouTube (Transit Museum fan trips) those thing haul ass. More so than the R-cars. Those things are beasts lol. Or maybe it's just visual perception? Maybe they *seem* faster at accelerating while in fact they aren't?

Don't know what You Tube video you are referring to, but I never saw a 5 to Woodlawn.

More off topic, when I was young, however, I remember when the 1 to 6 were entirely Lo Vs and how surprised I was the first day in 1954 when I saw a train with fluorescent lights on the Number 6, Lex Av local. I forget the R # but it was the 6500 series. After the 6 was completely converted, they were put on the #1 line. I coudn't understand why the new cars were put on the local lines first. It took a few more years like around 1960 when fluorescent lit cars came to the 2 and 3. When the new cars came to the 7 for the 1964 Worlds Fair, those cars were finally moved to the Lex and all the Lo Vs were retired. So the process took ten years.

The Broadway and Pelham lines never ran LoV's.(with the exception of the 50 WF Steinways from Main Street that were sent to Pelham).  They ran Hi V's.   That's why when the R17's and R-21's came in, the Pelham, and then the Broadway line got the SMEE's on the mainline first.

Archived