N6X bus driver attack by a female passenger

w8Hou

Reason: the driver misses her stop.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/long_island&id=9444037

FRANKLIN SQUARE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A new video shows a bus driver being attacked by a passenger on Long Island.

The passenger went ballistic, punching and hitting the female driver, all the while with a young child by her side.

It happened on an express bus in Franklin Square in Nassau County.

The video shows an angry passenger pummel a bus driver.

Why? Witness Anthony McLaughlin says because the driver missed her stop.

"She attacked her, she threw punches," McLaughlin said.

Anthony says he felt the tension and knew things were going to escalate, so he started recording the confrontation with his smartphone.

"I used my iPhone. I knew it was going to pop off because she said when she stopped she was going to hit her. And, she started attacking her, it was kind of crazy," McLaughlin said.

It happened just after 3 p.m. Monday on the N6X bus near the Taco Bell in Franklin Square.

The driver called for help, cleared the bus, and was taken to a nearby hospital.

After the beat down, the angry passenger grabbed a little girl's hand and walked off the bus.

She hasn't been seen since, but police are looking to speak with her.

The story said it was the n6x, so perhaps the bus wasn't supposed to make that stop. Sad to say, I'm not surprised something like this would happen, and that it would be on the n6. Its one of the most ghetto routes in Nassau and rivals some of the worst NYC routes as far as passenger quality goes, a bunch of lowlife ghetto scum. No one even stepped in to help the driver!!! Perhaps NICE needs to look into driver shields like MTA is doing. The clientele on some of these routes is downright frightening, and just this past weekend someone put gang tags all over the back of bus 1731.

Snapshot-1318_zps0d0a5932.jpg

I've seen this happen even on non-ghetto routes so it's not tied to ghetto routes per se although chances might be higher on the latter, of course.

Drivers shields could work. Some b/o's hate 'em, some love 'em. But they serve their purpose. Anyway: hopefully the b/o can recover quickly from this and they put the attackng woman behind bars.

Just saw this on News12...  What a scumbag POS!  Is it a NYS law or NYC law that makes assaulting a B/O a felony?  In front of her child as well?  I hope it felt good, I also hope this piece of trash goes away for years!  If you want door to door service take a cab if you can't afford a cab get off at a bus stop, your ghetto ass isn't more important than anyone else on the bus.

I hate trash like this and look forward to her getting a half decade in prison as a lesson to other pieces of trash...  If you excuse it away honest hardworking people will get hurt for doing their job if the trash knows their is no consequences.

Had the N6 LIMITED still been around, this event may not have happened. Whatever, doesn't matter, what's done is done. It's the N6, most crowded route in the system serving some lower-class areas. Nothing more to explain it. Also, shows how important it is to have driver shields.

Whether the bus was supposed to stop at that stop or if the limited was still around doesn't excuse this idiots actions...  

Just saw this on News12...  What a scumbag POS!  Is it a NYS law or NYC law that makes assaulting a B/O a felony?  In front of her child as well?  I hope it felt good, I also hope this piece of trash goes away for years!

unfortunately its possible she could get a light sentence cause the sticker says it's punishable by up to 7 years in prison, in one case the suspect was sentenced to only probation

Remember the Cleveland bus driver incident? Very similar to this except the driver didn't throw an uppercut at the passenger. This is a lose lose situation. If the driver defended herself and put that b*tch back in her place, the driver would have been charged with assault and most likely would've lost her job. In this case, the driver did nothing and took a beating as a result of it. What a shame.

The chick in Cleveland deserved everything that was coming to her... she was asking for it. The b*tch attacking the driver here was lucky she didn't get knocked out.

unfortunately its possible she could get a light sentence cause the sticker says it's punishable by up to 7 years in prison, in one case the suspect was sentenced to only probation

It's time to start making an example out of people!  Hopefully the TWU 200, who is on News12 saying NICE to spend money on a driver shield is also in the court room saying this women deserves the maximum sentence to serve as an example to the public.

IMO she cannot use being a mother as an example because she didn't care about the impact this incident had on her child during this incident.  

Remember the Cleveland bus driver incident? Very similar to this except the driver didn't throw an uppercut at the passenger. This is a lose lose situation. If the driver defended herself and put that b*tch back in her place, the driver would have been charged with assault and most likely would've lost her job. In this case, the driver did nothing and took a beating as a result of it. What a shame.

The chick in Cleveland deserved everything that was coming to her... she was asking for it. The b*tch attacking the driver here was lucky she didn't get knocked out.

This lady is very lucky, she was probably hoping the driver laid hands on her to make a few bucks.

Driver shields are one thing, but it only solves part of the problem (aside from the fact that some drivers hate those things and turn 'em down) because the real problem is the lady attacking a bus driver. She should've kept her loose hands in her pockets in the first place. A more active campaign to not hit others, including bus drivers, would also help or at least raise awareness.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/long_island&id=9444880

more according to the driver the stop that was missed was not on the express bus 

People are just heartless. It's not an obligation to intervene in these situations, but more could have been done in the duration.

What's even more depressing is how McGregor demonstrated she cared about her passengers, even going as far as giving the to be attacker a transfer to backtrack, and then during the attack. I wish Ms. McGregor her a quick recovery.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/long_island&id=9444880

more according to the driver the stop that was missed was not on the express bus 

I am not surprised and I totally feel the driver's frustration. Unfortunately the passengers on alot of NICE Bus routes (particularly around Hempstead) are known to be ghetto trash. Watching the video and seeing alot of guys just sitting there watching, cmmon, it was a woman, she could've been easily restrained. I wonder if anyone even called 911, probably not, and the poor bus driver had to call for help herself. I know she's not alone in her feelings about the passengers, and this isn't gonna help NICE when it comes to getting new drivers. I think NICE needs driver shields, it's come to that unfortunately, if NYC is getting them (and the n6 is every bit as bad as the worst NYC routes) then so should NICE. They also need cameras recording the inside of the bus, so incidents like this and the gangbanger vermin that tag up the buses can be caught and thrown behind bars! Almost thought I was going to see an altercation on the n35 heading south from Westbury this afternoon, these thugs that work at Fairway in Westbury often get on the bus without proper fare and are always short, well today the driver said he wasn't gonna let it slide anymore and they started yelling at eachother. The driver pulled over once, and the deadbeat finally put some money in but they were still yelling at eachother when I got off the bus at NCC. Lemme tell you the drivers here are sick and tired of being treated the way they do by the riders.  :angry:

Driver shields are one thing, but it only solves part of the problem (aside from the fact that some drivers hate those things and turn 'em down) because the real problem is the lady attacking a bus driver. She should've kept her loose hands in her pockets in the first place. A more active campaign to not hit others, including bus drivers, would also help or at least raise awareness.

I agree that more needs to be done. There needs to be cameras on the inside of the bus and uniformed and undercover police officers on the buses. What is it going to take for Nassau County to make buses safer? 

@Brett: Please re-read my post because I didn't say *who* needs to pay for that, I just said it would help. So don't shove NICE money into my mouth, I didn't say that. NICE can spend its money way better but that doesn't mean Nassau - or maybe better: some local organization - can't pay for it.

Look, being aware is not enough, it's being confrontated with the facts and learning what you can do to help when something like this happens. That's what's needed.

To be honest, I have always thought it would be a matter of time before somebody lashes out violently and I believe incidents like these will happen more going forward unfortunately. 

Money is tight, patience is in short supply and a modicum of self-restraint is becoming nothing more than wishful thinking. This is probably very clear to anybody who deals with the general public at large.

That said and without the intention of passing judgment specifically to the driver, NICE bus is not exactly a paragon of professionalism. Professionalism that could go a long way in keeping many of the hot-heads from acting on their base desires.

The management is not a good example (over two years in business and still can't get their acts together on their realm of responsibility) and many of the new, younger crop of drivers I've been seeing lately are oblivious (psst... the passengers are about as irate as you are. It's probably a better idea to bend the rules and not start a confrontation with those guys) and can't cope very well with the shortcomings of management.

---

There is a follow-up interview with the bus driver on WABC. I sympathize with the driver, but I'm not surprised at the outcome.

We are living in a civil society that is perhaps two steps away from operating on an "every man for himself" basis. The cultural norms, established laws and judicial precedence makes it a very rational and smart decision for a person to do nothing.

Older passengers and children are generally considered not physically fit (In reality, some of the former are quite feisty for their age. But I digress), so they get a pass from the public.

I see a lot of outrage in the comments because young men failed to react and I can't help but laugh at the people saying that. Reality check for 2014: Young men have ZERO incentive to intervene in a fight and have every incentive to distance themselves as far as possible from a fight in progress.

By intervening in an altercation and especially one involving a woman, young men become liable for civil and criminal prosecution even if they are not the aggressor and the motive for intervening was nothing less than honorable. The legislature, the courts and the police in the United States have set that precedence within the last three decades.

Sure, you might have some witnesses willing to testify who should set things straight eventually and you might be able to get some compensation for injuries sustained while trying to break up a fight, but is it worth the hassle when the prevailing attitude of the courts and police are "guilty until proven innocent"? For the vast majority of men, the only decent words of the statement that I can type here is "No".

Had the N6 LIMITED still been around, this event may not have happened. Whatever, doesn't matter, what's done is done. It's the N6, most crowded route in the system serving some lower-class areas. Nothing more to explain it. Also, shows how important it is to have driver shields.

People are aware of the attacks that happen on the bus driver, but what if that woman had a gun or a knife? I'm not being close-minded here or anything, but the bus was coming from Hempstead, an area with a higher crime rate (half of which is violent) than a lot of Nassau County. A campaign is a waste of money. NICE needs to spend that money on driver shields as a deterrent. 

For the rest of the problem, the only thing you can do is get NICE to provide the service that people want. In this case, have Veolia admit they were wrong, swallow their pride, and bring back the N6 LIMITED.

No it doesn't, but had the LIMITED existed, the bus would have stopped there and this issue wouldn't have occurred. You know as well as I do that if some bus riders don't get what they want, they take it out on the driver and NICE fails to realize the issue they've put on their staff. I hope this woman is caught and convicted, but a driver shield could have deterred this.

This happened at Franklin Ave, so the only possible stop that could have been "missed" if it was a Limited would be Westminster Road. 

After all the posts you've read in this forum, you still don't get that Nassau could not give a s**t about the bus system. What don't you get? There are better ways that Mango sees to spend money on than transporting people in a county where majority of residents have cars. They certainly aren't going to fund a campaign to stop bus driver assaults. The (MTA) already does it for the city, and a good chunk of NICE riders are from the city. You're not from around here, you don't know what people know and don't know. People know its a felony to assault a driver, that's why this woman is still on the run.

Even with a tight budget from a local organization some simple message could do wonders.

I find it very dissapointing that you come off so harsh against me. Yes, I'm not from Long Island but at least I'm no douche sitting around and 'just' reading the story. I'm actually trying to think of ways to help prevent this. You can also tell me calmly why my idea wouldn't work. I'll get the message.

Sure, Mangano doesn't give a crap. But I'm just trying to help. I'm feeling very sorry for this bus driver.

You know, I actually got tears in my eyes when I saw the b/o cry on ABC News.

To be honest, I have always thought it would be a matter of time before somebody lashes out violently and I believe incidents like these will happen more going forward unfortunately. 

No, this won't happen more often. According to Brett, people know it's a felony so they know they shouldn't do it.

If I was on that bus, I would've tried to stop the violent woman. Better to try than sit on my lazy ass. And I'm 22 and am no sports guy, in case you wanna know. Sure, pain and jail may be waiting. But I'd rather have pain and go to jail from doing the right thing than seeing someone get hurt right in front of you.

It's sad to see that most of my generation wouldn't stick out a finger in such cases. All they care about is if it's good enough to be a hit on YouTube/the news.

Archived