Funding set for NE Queens bus study by MTA

BreeddekalbL

Everyone knows that if you want superb high quality food, you go to Manhattan for the 4 - 5 star restaurants, and if you want real luxury shopping, that's had in Manhattan (i.e. Bloomingdales, Saks). Now I've gone to Bloomingdales in Short Hills in New Jersey and it was so blah considering how upscale Short Hills is supposed to be <_<... Nowhere near as good as the Bloomingdales on 3rd Avenue. I mean the fact of the matter is if you want a Macy's or some garbage, and a cheesy chain, surely that could be found in Queens, but for the real deal, Manhattan still offers the best. I know we in Riverdale go to Manhattan for a night out or shopping, as we don't have (nor want) all of those annoying big box/chain stores. We have a few chains here (CVS, Rite-Aid, Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts) and of course every bank you can think of (Chase, BoA, Wells Fargo, HSBC, Capital One, etc.) all within a 5 block radius, but other than that, we pride ourselves on the local Riverdale shops.

You always relate everything back to Riverdale. And when you refer to Riverdale you always say we as if the whole community is part of your family. How do you know what other people do. Lol I can move over there and stay within the Bronx.

You always relate everything back to Riverdale. And when you refer to Riverdale you always say we as if the whole community is part of your family. How do you know what other people do. Lol I can move over there and stay within the Bronx.

Because I've been living here for some time now and know my community... Riverdalians either go to Manhattan or Westchester or stay within Riverdale.  The small minority may go to other places, but they don't represent the majority.  That's why we have express bus service to and from Manhattan so late.  Riverdale is a bedroom community and has a large amount of ex-Manhattanites, hence the connection to Manhattan.

Because I've been living here for some time now and know my community... Riverdalians either go to Manhattan or Westchester or stay within Riverdale. The small minority may go to other places, but they don't represent the majority. That's why we have express bus service to and from Manhattan so late. Riverdale is a bedroom community and has a large amount of ex-Manhattanites, hence the connection to Manhattan.

I wish it was still like that where everyone knows everyone in the community. Now a days it's every man for themselves. Well here in Queens we only have three routes that pick up a good amount of people at night and on the weekends. The QM2, QM5 and QM6. I guess the reason they pick up better than the QM4 which also runs through nice areas is because of how frequent they are. The QM2 has the QM20 within the same general area and the QM5 has the QM6 which are basically branches of one another. The QM4 suffers mainly because of its frequency. The Q64 runs way more frequent at every 3 minutes with two buses running together because the buses are always packed when arriving at Queens Blvd where the trains are at.

I have to admit as far as having a strong ridership base the BxM1, BxM2, BxM3 and BxM18 is more consistent than the Queens routes. In Queens some people get on what comes first. So if the Q64, Q46 and whatever lines run along with the express routes they get on. You often mention that you often see the same people on the bus which means that the express bus is their main choice vs the (1) or any other bus.

I wish it was still like that where everyone knows everyone in the community. Now a days it's every man for themselves. Well here in Queens we only have three routes that pick up a good amount of people at night and on the weekends. The QM2, QM5 and QM6. I guess the reason they pick up better than the QM4 which also runs through nice areas is because of how frequent they are. The QM2 has the QM20 within the same general area and the QM5 has the QM6 which are basically branches of one another. The QM4 suffers mainly because of its frequency. The Q64 runs way more frequent at every 3 minutes with two buses running together because the buses are always packed when arriving at Queens Blvd where the trains are at.

I have to admit as far as having a strong ridership base the BxM1, BxM2, BxM3 and BxM18 is more consistent than the Queens routes. In Queens some people get on what comes first. So if the Q64, Q46 and whatever lines run along with the express routes they get on. You often mention that you often see the same people on the bus which means that the express bus is their main choice vs the (1) or any other bus.

The BxM3 is not consistent and it goes to Yonkers, not Riverdale. It runs through Riverdale, and serves Broadway, which is not the splashy part of Riverdale, which is up in the hills, served by the BxM1, BxM2, and BxM18.

Everyone knows that if you want superb high quality food, you go to Manhattan for the 4 - 5 star restaurants, and if you want real luxury shopping, that's had in Manhattan (i.e. Bloomingdales, Saks).  Now I've gone to Bloomingdales in Short Hills in New Jersey and it was so blah considering how upscale Short Hills is supposed to be <_<... Nowhere near as good as the Bloomingdales on 3rd Avenue.  I mean the fact of the matter is if you want a Macy's or some garbage, and a cheesy chain, surely that could be found in Queens, but for the real deal, Manhattan still offers the best.  I know we in Riverdale go to Manhattan for a night out or shopping, as we don't have (nor want) all of those annoying big box/chain stores.  We have a few chains here (CVS, Rite-Aid, Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts) and of course every bank you can think of (Chase, BoA, Wells Fargo, HSBC, Capital One, etc.) all within a 5 block radius, but other than that, we pride ourselves on the local Riverdale shops.

Have you considered the fact that people in Northeast Queens may not be looking for the same kind of experiences that you are? Not everyone wants "4-5 star restaurants" or "real luxury shopping". For a lot of people, it's about finding the most authentic food and finding the best deals.

Have you considered the fact that people in Northeast Queens may not be looking for the same kind of experiences that you are? Not everyone wants "4-5 star restaurants" or "real luxury shopping". For a lot of people, it's about finding the most authentic food and finding the best deals.

Well of course... Those types of people exist in every neighborhood, not just in Northeast Queens, but for those that seek Manhattan, having later weekend service certainly wouldn't hurt.

they need to give these routes their old numbers back. I miss the classic QM1A's and QM2A!

Lol @ classic.... Usually, that adjective is reserved for something tangible (like bus fleets, for example), not a route #.....

You make the Qm1a/2a seem like bus types, instead of bus routes....

Dude just stop. 

I'd tell you the same thing.... Ease up off the guy a little; He's not saying anything that outlandish here...

If he misses the nostalgia, let him post stating so.....

That would be like me saying I miss the old BQM1 notation.... If you don't think nostalgia has a place in this community, then this community isn't for you... Just sayin....

Well, in his defense, the original reason for the change of the QM1A to QM5/QM6/QM8 was worse than that.

In what way?

I don't ever remember a time the MTA cut a route, for no other reason because they didn't like the route nomenclature....

The only route that comes close is the Bxm4b, and even that wasn't discontinued for that reason.....

All I can say is that I have noticed a up tick in ridership on the q34...use to be once you got to ms it was smooth sailing......not anymore. Since they eliminated the q14 it carries now....the people that come running from the q25 to get off on Linden place slows the bus down....but unless they change the way it gets to willets point this will continue to happen.....

Archived