Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a pair of R32s paired with R42s In the yard. Tell me that wasn't in service...

Someone already got a photo/video of that earlier this summer, I don't think they ran in service like that, its probably for yard moves, etc.

EDIT: here's the video of it taken by a railfan (NOT ME)....

Edited by trainfan22

All I have to say is that I hope that the (J)(Z) still have their R32s and R42s make appearances. Why should the 6 Av/53 St and Queens Blvd Lcl have all the fun, huh.

I will say that it would only be fair to have the R143 return to the (M) line as well, but all of this may just be wishful thing thinking on my part.

Edited by Micstromme

Funny how talk of 32s and 42s running together came up in this thread recently as I stumbled upon this photo of the 32/42 mix set running in service on the (N) about 45 years ago....

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?5388

It's kind of hard to tell if that's a mixed set do they have any other photos of it?

It's kind of hard to tell if that's a mixed set do they have any other photos of it?

Look at the roofs of the first two cars compared to the rest of the train.. Its a 42 set tacked on to some 32s, that kinda thing was common back then. I'm sure if you look hard enough there's a couple more photos of 32s and 42s running in mixed sets prior to GOH, after GOH they only mixed the 32s with 38s and 42s with 40M...

If you look closely, it is a mixed set. There are 2 R42's, and 5 R32's. Add that in total, it's a seven car set.

Its eight cars, the last car is under the underpass but you can see its shadow..

Look at the roofs of the first two cars compared to the rest of the train.. Its a 42 set tacked on to some 32s, that kinda thing was common back then. I'm sure if you look hard enough there's a couple more photos of 32s and 42s running in mixed sets prior to GOH, after GOH they only mixed the 32s with 38s and 42s with 40M...

Its eight cars, the last car is under the underpass but you can see its shadow..

I have heard that the mixed set of R32s and R42s was pretty normal back then lots of trains suffered from dead motors back than and there would be alot of mixed sets

I recall the R44s and R46s not being able to become mixed sets because there were A and B cars in the R44's and the R46's. There were couplers at both ends of these cars so they were single cars rather than married pairs.

They were never able to mix with each other. 2 separate brake pressures, but they can couple iron to iron since they have the same coupler faces. One set would have to be "dead" and towed by the other.

Could the R62's an R62A's be paired together? I don't remember anyone ever saying they couldn't. Or how about the R68 and R68A I don't think those could be paired though.

They can but they won't outside of yard moves. Sill a SMEE, but they brake differently.

Is it done on purpose that the brakes are always different between the two train types in a series.

You can't have a R142 and a R142A together

A R62A and R62 can't work.

It would be easier if you can pair the two up.

The R32's replacement is the R179's. What is the purpose of having them locked in either a four or five car configuration because let's say the (C) is suspended and the (A) has to borrow you are going to have these short 8 car trains. At least have the option of changing these cars from 10 cars to 8 and vise versa all the time just in case you needed to add service onto another line.

Is it done on purpose that the brakes are always different between the two train types in a series.

You can't have a R142 and a R142A together

A R62A and R62 can't work.

It would be easier if you can pair the two up.

The R32's replacement is the R179's. What is the purpose of having them locked in either a four or five car configuration because let's say the (C) is suspended and the (A) has to borrow you are going to have these short 8 car trains. At least have the option of changing these cars from 10 cars to 8 and vise versa all the time just in case you needed to add service onto another line.

All of the cars R142 and up can be pulled apart and have extra cars added or cars removed if necessary. Gonna have oddball sets laying around because of it, but it can be done.

It'll just be easier to borrow a train from another line if something happens.