Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A break down is when the train is taken out of service before completing its trip. It doesn't have to be something major either. It could be something relatively benign, like a stuck door. It all counts.

Oh alright that eliminates all my confusions. I've been hearing the term breakdown for a long times on the forums and I've always thought it meant when a trains stalls or loses power. I've never seen a train broken down so that why I was curious as to what it was. Edited by NewFlyer 230

Oh alright that eliminates all my confusions. I've been hearing the term breakdown for a long times on the forums and I've always thought it meant when a trains stalls or loses power. I've never seen a train broken down so that why I was curious as to what it was.

It hasn't have to be a door failure, it could be a failure of any component. A train could very well stall in the event of a traction motor failure, for example.

Not really, they're breaking down more since they run 24/7, making the (J) 100% SMEE would make the line unreliable, it makes sense to keep a balance of fleets, I like how it is now, now they need to at least take 4 sets of R32's from the (J) and put them on the (M), give the (J) 4 more NTT's and the fleet is balanced in the eastern div. Besides the (L) that only requires R143's and 64 R160A-1's

doesn't East New York rotate which R32's run all night? I swore I heard dispatchers pick which set gets laid up. And if they do rotate, i don't see them better off on the (C) East New York takes better care of them and (J) / (Z) riders don't mind them

^^To be honest, the riders in that section love those old cars. We all feel a bit nostalgic. All I ever heard on the Eighth Avenue Line was passengers bitching about the all of the old cars and the like.

We on the (J)(Z) are damned happy to have the ancient cars. Those and the R42s, which also run all night now..

Edited by Micstromme

^^To be honest, the riders in that section love those old cars. We all feel a bit nostalgic. All I ever heard on the Eighth Avenue Line was passengers bitching about the all of the old cars and the like.

We on the (J)(Z) are damned happy to have the ancient cars. Those and the R42s, which also run all night now..

I mean, I like the old fleet on the (J) / (Z) too, and there are a couple railfans that enjoy it, but that is patently false as a general statement. Non-railfans almost exclusively despise old equipment on every line. They just complain louder on the Manhattan lines.

I mean, I like the old fleet on the (J) / (Z) too, and there are a couple railfans that enjoy it, but that is patently false as a general statement. Non-railfans almost exclusively despise old equipment on every line. They just complain louder on the Manhattan lines.

the issue with R32's were them being on the (C) for damn near 50 years because again R38s and R30s looked like R32s to people that aren't Railfans, so people are inclined to believe that their line is neglected. Also it doesn't help to see R160's on the same line as where old cars run, it leaves room for people to compare... A side note; Some (J) riders hate R42s most don't care about them, but in comparison R32s look more sleek and held up verses the R42s Edited by VIP

the issue with R32's were them being on the (C) for damn near 50 years because again R38s and R30s looked like R32s to people that aren't Railfans, so people are inclined to believe that their line is neglected. Also it doesn't help to see R160's on the same line as where old cars run, it leaves room for people to compare... A side note; Some (J) riders hate R42s most don't care about them, but in comparison R32s look more sleek and held up verses the R42s

The R32s didn't start running on the (C) until the late 1970s/Early 1980s when it was the CC

The remaining 224 R32 cars were originally from Jamaica.

The (C) was suppose to use R40/42s exclusively (which it did for a brief period in December 2008), but shortly afterward, those R40/42s were transferred to Jamaica, and Jamaica gave up its R32s for 207th.

Edited by RollOver

The remaining 224 R32 cars were originally from Jamaica.

The (C) was suppose to use R40/42s exclusively (which it did for a brief period in December 2008), but shortly afterward, those R40/42s were transferred to Jamaica, and Jamaica gave up its R32s for 207th.

And given Jamaicas history the trains they have , they run they down and with no point of return. Wonder how those R160 holding up

Most of the current R32 fleet was assigned to Pitkin for most of the 90s until the R160 order started coming in. A few were from Jamaica. Almost all of them (if not all) were reassigned to Jamaica at some point during the R160 delivery process, but most of what was at Jamaica in the 1990s is at the bottom of the Atlantic now. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

3900-01 has been on the (C)

@ Rollover most of the phase I R32's were at pitkin and well maintained, Jamaica had about 80-100 phase I R32's while pitkin had the rest, in april of 2008 phase I's began to shift to Jamaica to kill off the phase II R32's

Most of the current R32 fleet was assigned to Pitkin for most of the 90s until the R160 order started coming in. A few were from Jamaica. Almost all of them (if not all) were reassigned to Jamaica at some point during the R160 delivery process, but most of what was at Jamaica in the 1990s is at the bottom of the Atlantic now.

Jamaica had a group of Phase I's also, 3522/23,3670/71 and 3610/11 as well as a few others were at Jamaica after GOH until 2010 (3670/71 January 2009)

For those wondering why the swap is permanent...

As part of the line review’s recommendations, NYCT has already swapped approximately half of the c.png train fleet for the newer R160’s

Another interesting tabit, the TA consider's the 32's reliable so we shouldn't fret about there MDBF...

The older cars that run on the a.pngc.png (R32’s built in 1964 on the c.png and R46’s built in 1976 on the a.png0 lack features found on newer cars but are nevertheless still in a state of good repair, and the review noted car problems are not a major cause of delays on either line

3900-01 has been on the (C)

@ Rollover most of the phase I R32's were at pitkin and well maintained, Jamaica had about 80-100 phase I R32's while pitkin had the rest, in april of 2008 phase I's began to shift to Jamaica to kill off the phase II R32's

Jamaica had a group of Phase I's also, 3522/23,3670/71 and 3610/11 as well as a few others were at Jamaica after GOH until 2010 (3670/71 January 2009)

3610/3611 left Jamaica in September 2009 for CIY when they needed extra trains for the Brighton (You remember that)

? The R42s are newer than the 32s, just because the 42s are rusting it doesn't mean it will effect there mechanical performance.

The rusting has absolutely nothing to do with I said.

If you look at the recent MDBF reports (Sep '15) the MDBF dropped on the 32s. For quite some time, the 42s were the worse in terms of reliability with the 32s not too far behind. Now the 32s are the worse performing cars according to the MDBF sheet.