Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every now and again when I get assigned to work in 207 yard I actually see what a SMS actually looks like. Pretty interesting. All I expect to happen is the (C) eventually gettin the rest of the R46 from Queens once the 32s/42s are finally over the hill. I expect the (J)(R) to get the first from the new set of trains (no matter what published official reports say).
I wouldn't be surprised if the (R) get R179s being the (E)(F)(M) lines run new tech cars so it would make sense and the Jamaica line would be full of new techs also. But the (A)(C) has the R211s to look to at least :(

Guest lance25

Actually, not having the chime could be an ADA violation. I know it's mandated for the new trains for those who don't speak English because "ding-dong" is universal for "get the f- out of the doorway". I'm not sure about the rehabbed ones though.

I'm going out on a limb by saying this, but I think you'll know when the doors are about to close when the C/R says "Stand clear of the closing doors please" As for the R32s receiving door chimes I don't see that happening. Many passengers have gotten on and off trains without door chimes for a long period of time before they were even introduced to the system.

Actually, not having the chime could be an ADA violation. I know it's mandated for the new trains for those who don't speak English because "ding-dong" is universal for "get the f- out of the doorway". I'm not sure about the rehabbed ones though.

I agree with Lance. When i moved to NYC i had some problems with OTT trains, since sometimes they don't have clear announcements, mainly on the (C) trains. The door chime helps a lot.

The R32s are not new trains so ADA regs. don't apply to them.

I think all cars should have doors sensors so that if there's an object in the door way the doors won't fully close and will open back up again or keep cycling till the obstruction is clear. The bell chime is not necessary unless the person is blind.

That maybe the worst idea ever and it was already tried before. In the 50's, the Lo-V's had such a system and it was a big flop. In fact, the cars of the museum train still have the required components. As an old time Motor Instructor once told me, "it's conductor combat out there, it's you against the masses." such a system would mean that the doors would never close.

I saw the SMS pairs, 3405 in a north motor and 3414/15 in in the middle of another consist, the interiors will be the same.

That's too bad. Post-GOH R32s are pretty dark on the inside, unlike before they were sent out for GOH. At the very least, they should have painted the seats, ceilings and walls the same colors as the R142s.

That maybe the worst idea ever and it was already tried before. In the 50's, the Lo-V's had such a system and it was a big flop. In fact, the cars of the museum train still have the required components. As an old time Motor Instructor once told me, "it's conductor combat out there, it's you against the masses." such a system would mean that the doors would never close.
No I didn't say they should, I thought the R32s already had those door sensing strips. It was the bell sound that I didn't think was needed.

• 3 weeks later...

I rode one of the SMS'ed pairs of R32's today (3888/9), all i gotta say is they only did the trucks,doors and A/C no interior work, the RFW was clean, the other windows were not replaced, i saw 3404/5 those windows were replaced here's a photo of it:

461966_2739660810259_1219581216_32128904_1440895540_o.jpg

I doubt that. Newer cars have historically gone to the Queens express lines starting with the F and going a few weeks later to the E but now the E and F may get them first. If R179s go to Jamaica, I would more expect to see them on the express lines. And historically, the C never gets new equipment and runs some of the oldest B division equipment. So while the A might get new cars, the C may not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the (R) get R179s being the (E)(F)(M) lines run new tech cars so it would make sense and the Jamaica line would be full of new techs also. But the (A)(C) has the R211s to look to at least ;)

I doubt that. Newer cars have historically gone to the Queens express lines starting with the F and going a few weeks later to the E but now the E and F may get them first. If R179s go to Jamaica, I would more expect to see them on the express lines. And historically, the C never gets new equipment and runs some of the oldest B division equipment. So while the A might get new cars, the C may not.

The R179's are going to retire the R32's & 42's, so the (C) will get them.

I doubt that. Newer cars have historically gone to the Queens express lines starting with the F and going a few weeks later to the E but now the E and F may get them first. If R179s go to Jamaica, I would more expect to see them on the express lines.

I would expect them to knock off the remaining R46s on the (F) and (R).

And historically, the C never gets new equipment and runs some of the oldest B division equipment. So while the A might get new cars, the C may not.

I don't see either the (A) or (C) getting anything new. We're likely getting R46s, then R68s (R211s sent to the (;) and (D)). If we do get R160s, it's because they're headed for the scrap heap.

I think if Jamaica gets the R179s to replace the R46s then they may assign them to the E and F, not the R or most of them to the E and F and a few to the R.

The A historically has gotten new cars, when the R46s were new the A ran them and the C ran the older cars. If the C gets new cars on the next order, 179s or 211s, it'll be a first that I can remember. I think C riders shouldn't expect new equipment even if it comes to the A.

I would expect them to knock off the remaining R46s on the (F) and (R).

I don't see either the (A) or (C) getting anything new. We're likely getting R46s, then R68s (R211s sent to the (;) and (D)). If we do get R160s, it's because they're headed for the scrap heap.

I think if Jamaica gets the R179s to replace the R46s then they may assign them to the E and F, not the R or most of them to the E and F and a few to the R.

The A historically has gotten new cars, when the R46s were new the A ran them and the C ran the older cars. If the C gets new cars on the next order, 179s or 211s, it'll be a first that I can remember. I think C riders shouldn't expect new equipment even if it comes to the A.

That freakin' (E) better leave my R179s alone and stick w/ it's R160s. The (E) can't always have the newest of everything. To keep the (C) from having a bad grade, it'll be wise for them to get R211s and i need some closure to my curiosity here; the (C) has better direct access to Pitken Yard then 207th Yard, but is based outta 207th. Someone elaborate?