Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MTA Bus

There are R46s on the (C) and R32s on the (A). I just rode the (C), which was a R46. Then, when I got off at Jay St - MetroTech, a R32 (A) came right behind the (C).

Guest Lance

There aren't enough R32 cars available to make the total amount of 10-car sets for the (A) line to meet service demands. One or two R42s sets usually come from East New York to fill that gap.

Wouldn't they have to make them into 10 car sets at 207th or Pitkin? 10 car sets can't run in the eastern division in any way as far as I'm aware, in revenue service or not.

The curves that would have to me made aren't that sharp, it could run.

Wouldn't they have to make them into 10 car sets at 207th or Pitkin? 10 car sets can't run in the eastern division in any way as far as I'm aware, in revenue service or not.

As Eric said: you are thinking of the 75' car trains like the R46. Those can't run on eastern division without sideswiping each other. 10 car trains can run on eastern division, just NIS because the platforms can't handle the extra length.

My question is are all of some of the R42 leaving the J/Z lines, if all are leaving, then what will be replacing them, using R160 spares.

What I was told, the barn has to release all 160's. There are enough to cover the lines, but usually, a bunch are out for inspection or whatever. But now, they're all being pressed into service.

As Eric said: you are thinking of the 75' car trains like the R46. Those can't run on eastern division without sideswiping each other. 10 car trains can run on eastern division, just NIS because the platforms can't handle the extra length.

I should point out, the place where they cannot go is Met, because they wouldn't be able to get behind the switch.

What I was told, the barn has to release all 160's. There are enough to cover the lines, but usually, a bunch are out for inspection or whatever. But now, they're all being pressed into service.

I should point out, the place where they cannot go is Met, because they wouldn't be able to get behind the switch.

I wonder: if the MTA were to extend all eastern division platforms to handle 10 car trains, would they turn Metropolitan av into a 1 track station (and move the switch) or would they modify the ROW to accommodate the longer station and new location of the switches?

(And they had the opportunity to do that when nearly all the eastern div. stations were renovated int he 90's; some with apparent undecked steelwork platform extensions visible! :angry: )

As for Met, it would be difficult to do without moving the switch. I looked into the idea of moving the bumping block basically to the edge of the Metropolitan Ave property line, so that the stationhouse doors would basically be replaced by the turnstiles, and the platform would begin as soon as you went through. The fare control area would have to be moved to the new area to the side, and you would have to go outside and then back in, to get from the booth to the platform.

The dispatcher's office and likely the employee men's room would have to be moved upstairs and the first floor opened up, so the platform could be extended to the beginning of the switch.

I still wonder if that would even get you two more car lengths.

But I guess moving that switch would probably not be all that hard, since it's outdoors.