Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

It does seem logical to run the R32s on the (B), doesn't it? There's even a bonus for the foamers. But I guess there's some catch, or else the (MTA) would've done it already.

Does the (MTA) consciously want to keep the R32s underground during the harsher months? That's the only reason I can think of against putting R32s on the (B).

Edited by Mysterious2train

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember, bringing R32s to Coney Island yard will mean that CIY has to maintain a third type of car (R160, R68/A, R32). A lot of people have already said that this will raise maintenance costs. And, 207th St yard or Pitkin yard will have to learn a type of car that is new to them (the R68/A), possibly raising costs too.

Some people on here really think the MTA is full of such idiots that they would turn down something supposedly this obvious, but I think that if putting R32s on the (B) was the clear solution, they would have done it already. Nobody seems to realize that sometimes the MTA knows something that an ordinary railfan wouldn't.

im really not a railfan, more of a business man. the yards once done it before, i dont understand this stigma about maintaining a third car type when all the parts are there. CIY is a large yard and to swap out the entire fleet of R68A's for R32's shouldnt be a problem. as for 207st yard workers, they know how to work on R68's they were put together there some yrs ago also on occasion get repaired there. and with the word "possibly" being thrown around, i i believe that "possibly" the R32's are going to die out before 2016 and function worse than R42's. costs will actually be lower maintaing R32's at CIY. its just a game of favoritism and politics. as for R42's being on the (A) in the condition theyre in now is a complete disaster! tell me that those R42's aint gonna have to be repaired every other week! yeah...there goes some thousands of dollars!!

It does seem logical to run the R32s on the (B), doesn't it? There's even a bonus for the foamers. But I guess there's some catch, or else the (MTA) would've done it already.

Does the (MTA) consciously want to keep the R32s underground during the harsher months? That's the only reason I can think of against putting R32s on the (B).

Honestly, I think the MTA is just too lazy to continually swap the R32's between Coney Island and 207th. They were at 207th to begin with since most of the fleet was reefed. And yea, I'm sure the MTA would like to keep these old timers out of the snow and cold weather during the winter months.

well i think the R32's plauged us all. had the MTA not retired so many so rapidly in 2009, the (A)/© lines wouldnt be in such a mess

Correction: had the (MTA) not put in so many damn timers, the (A)/© lines would not be in such a mess.

Anyway, concerning the R-42 sets on the (A), I was wondering: Are they always running at certain times, or do they move them around in the schedule? What I mean is that in the morning, there's usually a train of R-42s leaving 145th northbound at 8, but I no longer see the one that used to leave Jay Street at around 15:10.

im really not a railfan, more of a business man. the yards once done it before, i dont understand this stigma about maintaining a third car type when all the parts are there. CIY is a large yard and to swap out the entire fleet of R68A's for R32's shouldnt be a problem. as for 207st yard workers, they know how to work on R68's they were put together there some yrs ago also on occasion get repaired there. and with the word "possibly" being thrown around, i i believe that "possibly" the R32's are going to die out before 2016 and function worse than R42's. costs will actually be lower maintaing R32's at CIY. its just a game of favoritism and politics. as for R42's being on the (A) in the condition theyre in now is a complete disaster! tell me that those R42's aint gonna have to be repaired every other week! yeah...there goes some thousands of dollars!!

R42's are out the door at the end of this year, rumor flying around, like it or not they are going bye-bye, they are not getting SMS'ed, they don't want to work on them at all, its obvious, also they want only one type of SMEE (R32), once the R32 SMS is completed ((C) won't need the extra spares no more since the SMS is improving the R32's performance ), then thats when all the fun should begin, I wouldn't be suprised if 207th kept the R42's for the (A) and send ENY some R32's, and I agree the R32's do need to be on the (B), it would run much smoothly and they won't be out as much, but people always got to play spokesperson for the (MTA) instead of letting them do them, and I think personally that the R32's will still be here for a good period of time, but I will explain that when i feel its time, since a lot of people don't get what I'm saying until it happens

R42's are out the door at the end of this year, rumor flying around, like it or not they are going bye-bye, they are not getting SMS'ed, they don't want to work on them at all, its obvious, also they want only one type of SMEE (R32), once the R32 SMS is completed ( (C) won't need the extra spares no more since the SMS is improving the R32's performance ), then thats when all the fun should begin, I wouldn't be suprised if 207th kept the R42's for the (A) and send ENY some R32's, and I agree the R32's do need to be on the (B), it would run much smoothly and they won't be out as much, but people always got to play spokesperson for the (MTA) instead of letting them do them, and I think personally that the R32's will still be here for a good period of time, but I will explain that when i feel its time, since a lot of people don't get what I'm saying until it happens

yeah those R42's gotta go did you see the MDBFs? ...pathetic! and mind you on the (Z)/(J) lines they only ran during peak hrs. as far as the R32's being back on the (C) without spares is very risky.

yeah those R42's gotta go did you see the MDBFs? ...pathetic! and mind you on the (Z)/(J) lines they only ran during peak hrs. as far as the R32's being back on the (C) without spares is very risky.

Not really, the (C) uses 144 out of 222 R32's during the off summer months, 14 train sets total, all ENY is gonna need is 40 R32's the (C) would still have spares and yes they run both the R32's and R42's overnight and all day on the (A), I've seen it for myself while taking the (A) line at night

Not really, the (C) uses 144 out of 222 R32's during the off summer months, 14 train sets total, all ENY is gonna need is 40 R32's the (C) would still have spares and yes they run both the R32's and R42's overnight and all day on the (A), I've seen it for myself while taking the (A) line at night

I can coincide with this as I have also seen said sets of R32s and R42s late at night.

R42's are out the door at the end of this year, rumor flying around, like it or not they are going bye-bye, they are not getting SMS'ed, they don't want to work on them at all, its obvious, also they want only one type of SMEE (R32), once the R32 SMS is completed ( (C) won't need the extra spares no more since the SMS is improving the R32's performance ), then thats when all the fun should begin, I wouldn't be suprised if 207th kept the R42's for the (A) and send ENY some R32's, and I agree the R32's do need to be on the (B), it would run much smoothly and they won't be out as much, but people always got to play spokesperson for the (MTA) instead of letting them do them, and I think personally that the R32's will still be here for a good period of time, but I will explain that when i feel its time, since a lot of people don't get what I'm saying until it happens

I have to admit that those R42s are in sorry shape the times I've seen them recently. Plus, as I generally don't care about the R42s, I won't miss them at all. Of those St. Louis car types, it's the R38 or R40s for me.

Ok, say the (B) is all R32s, then what does the (C) run: R46s or R68/As?

I will also agree that running those older trains like this without a break will be detrimental. So, I see your points.

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to put 42's on the (A)? Lets assume they do 10 round trips a day, They will have to be reparied over the summer. It's a shame they couldn't leave what little dignity the R42's had left. -_-

Guest Lance

First off, there aren't enough R32 cars to make the (B) line entirely R32. Not unless you reduce the service on the line. Right now, the (B)'s service requirements are 25 trains in the AM of R68s and R68As and 23 in the PM. Transferring that to the R32s, that's 250 and 230 cars respectively, which is more than the 222 cars that make up the entire R32 fleet. And let's not even get started on the spares.

Secondly, if East New York is supposed to get some R32s in place of the outgoing R42s and, assuming it's a 1-to-1 transfer, that will knock down the amount of cars available for other lines to 182 or 18 full-length trains with an abysmal spare factor. The only lines, outside of the shuttles, that have a requirement less than or equal to that are the (C) and (G).

All in all, I'd say give Jamaica enough R32s so the R42s can finally be put out of their (and everyone else's) misery and leave the rest of them on the (C) line. I don't know why there's this notion that the (B) should use R32s simply because it's an outdoor line and/or it's a weekday-only line. That would only work if you can replace all the trains over there.

@CDTA: It isn't about whether it's a good idea or not. There aren't enough R32s available to completely meet the demand of the (A) line and, without eating into more of Jamaica's spare R46s, there are few options in terms of car usage short of reducing service for the summer. That's why the R42s are running on the (A) right now.

Last Year they ran more R32's than R46's at night, The R32's breakdown less than the R46's, I've been on the R42 (A) at night, no problem at all, those trains need to run, once they run they get all the running time they can get, the R46's need rest, those are the only subway cars that are overused since its debut in 1977, don't be shocked if you see an R32 on the (J) sooner than later, it might happen before we know it, but I'm just gonna relax and enjoy the summer and wait and see

That's exactly what I was going to say, just enjoy the summer instead of busting brains trying to see something unusual or predicting or expecting something crazy. If something happens, it will sure be leaked.

Yeah, that's why I don't "go railfanning" B).

I would rather see less service on the (A), because the odds of an R42 on the (A) breaking down is astronomical, then there's hell to pay for hours afterwards.

Wouldn't this "hell to pay" usually just be re-routing other (A) trains onto the local track?

Remember, bringing R32s to Coney Island yard will mean that CIY has to maintain a third type of car (R160, R68/A, R32). A lot of people have already said that this will raise maintenance costs. And, 207th St yard or Pitkin yard will have to learn a type of car that is new to them (the R68/A), possibly raising costs too.

Some people on here really think the MTA is full of such idiots that they would turn down something supposedly this obvious, but I think that if putting R32s on the (B) was the clear solution, they would have done it already. Nobody seems to realize that sometimes the MTA knows something that an ordinary railfan wouldn't.

Great post.

the (MTA) don't know shit, bottom line, they don't care what runs on what line, the NYCTA RTO division of Car Equipment and rolling Stock and Yard Supervisors make those choices on what goes where, CI has a New Fleet, thats one major reason why they are no R32's on the (B), CI would be the best choice for the R32's because its a Main shop, they take good care of their equipment, doesn't matter what it is, 207th lost a lot of people who fix these trains, in about a year or so, 207th st yard will be for the (1) and MOW equipment, everything will come out of pitkin yard, and I doubt they would want R32's, so down the line something will change due to 207th st being an entirely IRT yard, The (A)/© will only store their trains there, the 240th st barn on the (1) will come down