Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Guest Lance

I wish they would put at least 2 sets of R160's on the A or C. One of the most used routes in NYC and it gets treated like junk and those R179's keep getting pushed back. Anything can happen. What if the R42's start having problems like the R44's did?

I still think some of the R32 and R42's should to CI and be used on the B,G because they are don't run as often then the other trains do and put some R68's from those lines and put on the A and C.

The (A) and (C) can't use R160s regularly because neither 207th Street or Pitkin yards are capable of maintaining those cars. They'd have to be sent back and forth to capable yards (East New York, Jamaica or Coney Island) for regular maintenance. And, even if that wasn't an issue, what's going to replace those R160s? The (E) and (F) are the mainstays of Jamaica's R160s, Coney Island's cars are on the (N) and (Q) and East New York's are on the (J)/(Z), (L) and (M). Why should those riders have to deal with crappy cars just because the (A) and (C) has them? You're not solving anything; you're simply shifting the problem elsewhere.

The R42s already have problems. Have you taken a good look at them lately. They look terrible. The only reason they're still running is because there aren't enough 60-footer cars available for the Eastern Division to replace them. If I'm not mistaken however, the R32 SMS would allow the R42s to retire according to a couple of rumors, but I haven't heard anything concrete. So take from that what you will.

Finally, while some people here would like the R32s spread out amongst the system, it's not a good idea. Spreading the fleet means spreading the maintenance requirements. Instead of just having 207th Street deal with the R32s, now you'd add Coney Island to the mix. And that's on top of the R68s and R160s they already deal with. Remember, the idea is to keep as few different car types per yard as possible to keep maintenance costs down.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheesh the changes when you don't check the subway section for a couple weeks... So y'all mean to tell me that R42s are back (in small numbers) on the A? And that the summer R32 C-A swap has occurred? That was quick, and that means I'm gonna have to go back to riding the A/C more...back to my perch on 181st.

The (A) and (C) can't use R160s regularly because neither 207th Street or Pitkin yards are capable of maintaining those cars. They'd have to be sent back and forth to capable yards (East New York, Jamaica or Coney Island) for regular maintenance. And, even if that wasn't an issue, what's going to replace those R160s? The (E) and (F) are the mainstays of Jamaica's R160s, Coney Island's cars are on the (N) and (Q) and East New York's are on the (J)/ (Z), (L) and (M). Why should those riders have to deal with crappy cars just because the (A) and (C) has them? You're not solving anything; you're simply shifting the problem elsewhere.

The R42s already have problems. Have you taken a good look at them lately. They look terrible. The only reason they're still running is because there aren't enough 60-footer cars available for the Eastern Division to replace them. If I'm not mistaken however, the R32 SMS would allow the R42s to retire according to a couple of rumors, but I haven't heard anything concrete. So take from that what you will.

Finally, while some people here would like the R32s spread out amongst the system, it's not a good idea. Spreading the fleet means spreading the maintenance requirements. Instead of just having 207th Street deal with the R32s, now you'd add Coney Island to the mix. And that's on top of the R68s and R160s they already deal with. Remember, the idea is to keep as few different car types per yard as possible to keep maintenance costs down.

The Only lines I believe are gonna have the R32's besides 207th is ENY, once that happens (ether to get rid of the R42's or IF they extend the (J) to 9th ave) then that would be it

Saturday 6/2 update:

R42 set to Far Rockaway went south through Rockaway Blvd at 3:42. Didn't catch it coming back north as of 4:45.

A second R42 set was operating to Lefferts and passed through 104-Oxford at 4:12 and then back north through 80-Hudson at 4:33.

The rest of the trains were what seemed to be an even mix of R32's and R46's.

S was three 8-car trains of R46's.

One R32 set and one R42 set were laid up at Rockaway Park yard.

Edited by RailBus63

on weekends you'll find full length Rock Pk Shuttle trains for the beach crowds.

Lance, How is 207th/Pitkin not able to handle NTTs when every single set that arrives on the property a) gets received, connected into consists inspected, etc at 207th and then spends time at Pitkin for testing on the Broad Channel flats? How are the sets at Pitkin (for its short stay there) maintained during break/speed testing?

Guest Lance

It's what I've heard repeatedly from folks in the know both here and on SubChat. I could be misremembering, but I'd like to believe I'm not.

on weekends you'll find full length Rock Pk Shuttle trains for the beach crowds.

Lance, How is 207th/Pitkin not able to handle NTTs when every single set that arrives on the property a) gets received, connected into consists inspected, etc at 207th and then spends time at Pitkin for testing on the Broad Channel flats? How are the sets at Pitkin (for its short stay there) maintained during break/speed testing?

The trains were put together in the over haul shop, not in the barn. When the cars were at Pitkin, workers from the builders where there. During the 30 day test period, the trains are still property of the builder, NOT the MTA.

Is there any 32s on the (C) or is it entirely r46?

same for the (A) is it just 32s and 42s or is there some 46 sets left?

There are actually more R46's on the (A) than the older car types:

14 trains of R32's

2 trains of R42's

22 trains of R46's

The (C) should be all R46 (18 trains)

There are actually more R46's on the (A) than the older car types:

14 trains of R32's

2 trains of R42's

22 trains of R46's

The (C) should be all R46 (18 trains)

You Mean 3 r42's, there are 3 R42 train sets on the (A)

If an Emergency happens, they might slip a R42 on the (C) only for the morning rush hour

Edited by R32 3838

The number of trains for each type of car in the assignment index shows what is scheduled to be on the road. There are spare cars too, of course. In the case of the R42's, there are three 10-car trains currently assigned to 207th Street so the third train would typically be in the yard or shop.

so the R160 on the (R) in the evenings is not assigned? :huh: And I personally think 140 R32 cars rolling on the (A) is no better than being on the (C) the (A) is a longer line and ive seen the R32's running all day and night...so many of you guys (including the MTA) thinks that 15-20 of operating R32's outdoors is best for the R32...it makes no difference... Its just more wear and tear and Mileage added on <_<

so the R160 on the (R) in the evenings is not assigned? :huh: And I personally think 140 R32 cars rolling on the (A) is no better than being on the (C) the (A) is a longer line and ive seen the R32's running all day and night...so many of you guys (including the MTA) thinks that 15-20 of operating R32's outdoors is best for the R32...it makes no difference... Its just more wear and tear and Mileage added on <_<

It makes no difference, as the trains will still run the same mileage. The only difference is that a breakdown on the (A) would be problematic for more people than if on the (C).

exactly, a breakdown on the (A) with those R32's will be devastating... someone has mentioned it before, the R32's placement should be CI and assigned to the (B) or even the (Q) if running those cars outdoors solves the "A/C issue" Then the smart thing is to have R32's on the (B) 222 R32's is enough to cover the (B) and 40 R68's as spares as it currently does now.