Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well the swap is not fully done.....yet atleast. Yesterday, 6034 was the lead car of a Lefferts Bound A.

If the SMS includes working HVACs, it may be possible that not all are being swapped. We'll see in the coming weeks.

Not surprised about 32s on the Rock Pk. They ran last summer too.

Last Saturday, I just rode an R-32 Far Rockaway-bound (A) Train to Jay St-MetroTech in Brooklyn. I didn't ride in the front, but it was a great trip I've ever enjoyed. I also saw a few R-46 (C) Trains along the way, now that I mention it, that line always runs a set of 8-car R-32 Trains but never a 10. For this summer, I hope the swap will make those subway lines run 50% of their fleets both R-32 and R-46. If sometime later approved, both the Jamaica and Coney Island Yards might give away some of their R-160A-2's and R-160Bs (Alstom) to the 207th St and Pitkin Av Yards for them to run on the (A) and (C) until late 2015 or to the Concourse Yard for the (B), and (D) Trains.

Last Saturday, I just rode an R-32 Far Rockaway-bound (A) Train to Jay St-MetroTech in Brooklyn. I didn't ride in the front, but it was a great trip I've ever enjoyed. I also saw a few R-46 (C) Trains along the way, now that I mention it, that line always runs a set of 8-car R-32 Trains but never a 10. For this summer, I hope the swap will make those subway lines run 50% of their fleets both R-32 and R-46. If sometime later approved, both the Jamaica and Coney Island Yards might give away some of their R-160A-2's and R-160Bs (Alstom) to the 207th St and Pitkin Av Yards for them to run on the (A) and (C) until late 2015 or to the Concourse Yard for the (B), and (D) Trains.

Why? The R179's will be here by then!

Guest Lance

Are all R32s going to the (A), or just the ones that haven't had their HVAC replaced in the SMS?

The (C) will use R46s exclusively while the (A) will consist of a mixed fleet of R32s, R42s and R46s until the end of summer.

You will likely not see any NTTs on the (A) or (C) lines any time soon as neither 207th Street or Pitkin yards are currently unable to maintain those cars.

Most R32s have yet to go through the program.

Assignments are:

C: 18 trains of R46

A 14 trains of R32, 2 trains of R42, 22 trains of R46

There is actually 3 Trains of R42s on the A . Two are signed for lefferts right now and one layed up at dyckman , signed up to far rock.

Why aren't 32's sent to the (J)/ (Z)?

Im thinking a 32 might pop up on the (J) or (Z) sometime soon because ENY gave 207 and Pitkin Yards 3 - 10 Car R42 trains (30 Cars). I mean something gotta take up that loss unless they dig into the reserve R160 Fleet they got.

as for the R160 part, where did you hear this, AS MUCH as i want it to happen, i can't agree on it until a reliable source states this, if CI and Jamaica gives the R160's to 207th and pit kin (and yes they can handle the R160's, they work on NTTs on a daily basis) then those R32's will go to CI, CI wouldn't want the R46's, or JAM gets more R46's back, but until then the A has 3 R42's,14 R32's and the remainder of the line R46's and the (C) has 18 R46's

R42s were sent to Pitkin because there aren't enough R32s to run as 10 car trains for the (A) (allowing the (C) to run R46s). ENY will be using up their reserve R160 fleet. Obviously they could've reduced a train from the (C), but I guess they want to leave (C) service as is.

On the contrary, I feel like the (C) fleet was upped yesterday. As I waited for an Manhattan-bound (C) at Kingston-Throop, not 2, but 3 Euclid-bound (C)'s made a stop through. This was in the span of 10 minutes. Then while moving, I spotted another Euclid-bound (C) at Lafayette, one at High St and yet another at Fulton St. The only conclusion that I can come up with is that they upped the fleet yesterday so that more people could use the Franklin Ave (S) to get to Prospect Park. After all it was a holiday, I guess?

Theres an R46 roaming out there with a (K) bullet inbetween cars, its in the set with 6222 in it (not that car tho). last spotted on (A), first spotted on (C).

As of yesterday I only saw both R42 sets to lefferts, and no R32 on the (H). I found that an R32 on the shuttle will only happen as a gap train (if an R46 breaks down, they will run the R32 on the (S)). other than that you might see it laying up in B116 st yard signed up as (H).\

Also, I havent seen 1 R32 on the (C) since the swap began, so I dont think they are putting 32's on the (C).

Guest Lance

Why aren't 32's sent to the (J)/ (Z)?

1) East New York probably doesn't want to deal with the R32s.

2) Putting R32s on the (J) and (Z) lines would mean that R160A1s would have to go on the (A) and/or (C) lines and while that would be a railfan's dream, they'd have to sent back to East New York for regular maintenance. If you mean that to replace the R42s (now on the (A)), they have enough A1s available as spares, so it isn't needed.

On the contrary, I feel like the (C) fleet was upped yesterday. As I waited for an Manhattan-bound (C) at Kingston-Throop, not 2, but 3 Euclid-bound (C)'s made a stop through. This was in the span of 10 minutes. Then while moving, I spotted another Euclid-bound (C) at Lafayette, one at High St and yet another at Fulton St. The only conclusion that I can come up with is that they upped the fleet yesterday so that more people could use the Franklin Ave (S) to get to Prospect Park. After all it was a holiday, I guess?

I don't think that there's any reason why they'd schedule three (C) trains to come within 10 minutes. This sounds like a good old case of bunched trains, which meant that there might have been a big gap with no Euclid-bound trains just after the three of them came. Edited by TheSubwayStation

I wish they would put at least 2 sets of R160's on the A or C. One of the most used routes in NYC and it gets treated like junk and those R179's keep getting pushed back. Anything can happen. What if the R42's start having problems like the R44's did?

I still think some of the R32 and R42's should to CI and be used on the B,G because they are don't run as often then the other trains do and put some R68's from those lines and put on the A and C.

If they were to do this, they would probably have to implement the R62/68[A] Overhaul, making the train pretty much electronic. Automated announcements, electronic strip maps, and everything in between.

I always thought that the R68s should go to the (A)(C). The (G) would just be downgrading back where it started however. I have seen an R32 on the (B), but an R46 would be something different. I agree though, the older trains should go to the lines that require less service, therefore reducing the ware and tare.

There are a few questions Im wondering:

1) What does the (J)(Z) get in return from 3 sets of R42s to the (A)?

2) After the summer pick, can the (C) use 4-6 sets of R46 daily with its leftover 8 car R32s to 10 cars?

Edited by Calvin

There are a few questions Im wondering:

1) What does the (J)(Z) get in return from 3 sets of R42s to the (A)?

2) After the summer pick, can the (C) use 4-6 sets of R46 daily with its leftover 8 car R32s to 10 cars?

1.Nothing.

2.No.