Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As in 60 and 75 footers, or varying lengths of trains?

They ran different equipment for the whole summer, why would it become a safety hazard now? Obviously the cause is in the length of the whole sets and not the length of individual cars. But I would love to hear why is it this way, signalling issues?

If you run 480 foot trains and 600 foot trains on the same line, there is a substantially higher chance that a 600 foot train's crew will forget they are running a 600 foot train, stop at the 480 foot stop marker, and open up with as much as two cars off the platform.

I highly doubt that...the C/R board wouldn't line up if the T/O undershot the station

Don't be too quick to say that Fresh Pond. Remember the M train about a year ago that stopped short on marcy and opened its doors with the last car yet to be platformed? and I remember 8-car r42 boards in rockaway a few years ago. Hell, some 110B boards are still around as well. Although those are blue, it's an example of anything being possible. And with the rogue 42 here and there during the summer, 8-car train lengths on some Brooklyn lines, and extra(and extra-extra)T/O's popping up anywhere they are needed on any day, it's indeed, a safety issue.

Last Monday when I took the (J) to Manhattan, I saw that 8-car R32 train that had been moved from Fresh Pond and still sitting at East New York. I wonder if they are going to place it back into service so that makes it a total of 230 remaining R32s left for service. I guess they just want it to remain dead and not make it join the rest of the veteran fleet at 207th Street. The (A) and (C) needs the amount of spares they can get, primarily because of the (A)'s longest route and its poor but hard worked R44s (now retired) and R46s.

Last Monday when I took the (J) to Manhattan, I saw that 8-car R32 train that had been moved from Fresh Pond and still sitting at East New York. I wonder if they are going to place it back into service so that makes it a total of 230 remaining R32s left for service. I guess they just want it to remain dead and not make it join the rest of the veteran fleet at 207th Street. The (A) and (C) needs the amount of spares they can get, primarily because of the (A)'s longest route and its poor but hard worked R44s (now retired) and R46s.

Thats gonna stay there until they decide what to do with it and it might get SMS'ed, and 207th doesn't need anymore R32's, if anything 207th needs to have less R32's, they don't need 222 of em, 200 or less is all they need, once the SMS is complete then they wouldn't need all 222 of them no more,

Assignment sheet has been officially updated, confirming all of the R32s back on the (C) as 8-cars short length, the (A) back to 100% R46s, and all the R42s back on the (J)(Z). Unknown about that 8-car R32 still sitting at East New York though.

http://thejoekorner....ents/index.html

Click on September 30, 2012 assignment.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

• 3 weeks later...

You know, personally, I think they need to retire those last 50 or so R42s. Just have some service cuts car swapping and that will cover it.

There's a reason why the R42s are still in service (48 out of the 400 original R42 order). The R143s were made at a time when (L) ridership was much lower. But since (L) ridership increased hugely is why it need more trains than just the R143s themselves. If they retire the R42s, it wouldn't be a smart move because then the (J)(Z) are gonna have to borrow some other cars off the (L) or (M) or even the (C).

And what do you mean by 'service cuts' and 'car swapping'...? That wouldn't cover it. There are only 222 R32s and 48 R42s left in service. Remember, the only reason they are still running is because of the R44s' (not those on the Staten Island Railway) early retirement. Otherwise, the (A), (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle, and Staten Island Railway would have been 100% R179s (as 75 footers originally suppose to retire the entire R44 fleet) and the (C) 100% R46s.

The only way to prevent half of the remaining 48 R42s at East New York from running on the (A) line for the summer months is that they increased the amount of R46s in service at rush hour, like say 604/752 R46s (192 for the (A), 144 for the (C), 24 for the (F), 232 for the (R), and 12 for the (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle), and I'm not sure if the assignments will call for that...

There's a reason why the R42s are still in service (48 out of the 400 original R42 order). The R143s were made at a time when (L) ridership was much lower. But since (L) ridership increased hugely is why it need more trains than just the R143s themselves. If they retire the R42s, it wouldn't be a smart move because then the (J)(Z) are gonna have to borrow some other cars off the (L) or (M) or even the (C).

And what do you mean by 'service cuts' and 'car swapping'...? That wouldn't cover it. There are only 222 R32s and 48 R42s left in service. Remember, the only reason they are still running is because of the R44s' (not those on the Staten Island Railway) early retirement. Otherwise, the (A), (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle, and Staten Island Railway would have been 100% R179s (as 75 footers originally suppose to retire the entire R44 fleet) and the (C) 100% R46s.

The only way to prevent half of the remaining 48 R42s at East New York from running on the (A) line for the summer months is that they increased the amount of R46s in service at rush hour, like say 604/752 R46s (192 for the (A), 144 for the (C), 24 for the (F), 232 for the (R), and 12 for the (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle), and I'm not sure if the assignments will call for that...

They don't borrow cars...all those 160s are shared with one another except for the (L). The CBTC ones are truly shared between those 4 routes

Edited by Fresh Pond

don't hold your breath on the R42's, they might be out the door much sooner than you think, Ive said this over and over again, ONCE the R32's SMS is Done, 207th would NOT need all of them R32's, meaning the (C) would NOT need all of those spare cars, those 50 to 30 cars can if they really want to can kick those R42's to the curve, the R32's aren't breaking down as much on the (C) since the SMS so it wouldn't be an issue, the SMS should be done by Feb 2013

Edited by R32 3838

Evidence?

Its obvious, the MTA Has not made any plans to SMS the R42's, so the biggest guess is that they will retire soon, they can't stay in service in the shape they are in, I spoke to a Supervisor and he told me they will be out the door once the R32 SMS is complete unless they change their minds and SMS the R42's (i doubt it)

There is enough R32's that can replace them since the (C) uses 144 out of 222 cars, plus there are 10 active R32's that do work service plus the 8 in ENY yard (revenue inactive) so thats a total of 240 R32's there are more than enough to pluck the R42's out

Edited by R32 3838

Its obvious, the MTA Has not made any plans to SMS the R42's, so the biggest guess is that they will retire soon, they can't stay in service in the shape they are in, I spoke to a Supervisor and he told me they will be out the door once the R32 SMS is complete unless they change their minds and SMS the R42's (i doubt it)

There is enough R32's that can replace them since the (C) uses 144 out of 222 cars, plus there are 10 active R32's that do work service plus the 8 in ENY yard (revenue inactive) so thats a total of 240 R32's there are more than enough to pluck the R42's out

There's a big difference between concrete evidence and an educated guess.

Just sit back and relax

There are only 64 out of the 1,662 R160s that are in Communication-based train control system. So yeah I guess, the (J)(Z) can use 40 out of the 64 CBTC R160s at East New York Yard which means they become 100% R160s like the (M). But I doubt the assignments would call for that, since the (L) needs more service. Also, I am not saying that the BMT Eastern Division routes CAN'T share those R160 fleets aside from the R143s, I was pointing out that the (L) needs more new trains than just the R143s due to its high ridership hence why the R42s should remain at East New York for the (J)(Z) while they add two more R46s to the (A) line during the summer months...

I fill you R32 3838, but like Fresh Pond said, its just relax, and wait to see what happens next before our very eyes.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

There are only 64 out of the 1,662 R160s that are in Communication-based train control system. So yeah I guess, the (J)(Z) can use 40 out of the 64 CBTC R160s at East New York Yard which means they become 100% R160s like the (M). But I doubt the assignments would call for that, since the (L) needs more service. Also, I am not saying that the BMT Eastern Division routes CAN'T share those R160 fleets aside from the R143s, I was pointing out that the (L) needs more new trains than just the R143s due to its high ridership hence why the R42s should remain at East New York for the (J)(Z) while they add two more R46s to the (A) line during the summer months...

I fill you R32 3838, but like Fresh Pond said, its just relax, and wait to see what happens next before our very eyes.

You're not understanding what I meant...

Those 64 cars can be used on all 4 of those lines when needed. If the (L) don't need them at that moment, they can and have been used on the (J)(M) and (Z). Those cars aren't assigned to just an individual line. Pretty much the only cars actually assigned on a line in ENY is the R143s for the (L)

You're not understanding what I meant...

Those 64 cars can be used on all 4 of those lines when needed. If the (L) don't need them at that moment, they can and have been used on the (J)(M) and (Z). Those cars aren't assigned to just an individual line. Pretty much the only cars actually assigned on a line in ENY is the R143s for the (L)

My fault...

I know this is going to sound stupid, but why don't they just run leftover IRT Trains on these lines. 11 cars should be enough.