Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just heard the R42 will be gone by sat afternoon, but im certain that the R42 will stay just to get scrapped or die on the (A)

Yeah I can see a mixture of both ideas, it might go back to ENY, but return to 207 again once its ascertained the cars aren't needed over on the (J) . It might also stay on the (A) as well.

Yeah I can see a mixture of both ideas, it might go back to ENY, but return to 207 again once its ascertained the cars aren't needed over on the (J) . It might also stay on the (A) as well.

exactly plus ENY has an R32 sitting in their yard so, i wonder what they are gonna do with that

The point is, they cannot without substantial expense. The R143s and CBTC R160s are tailor made for the L- To move them elsewhere would require outfitting other cars with the Canarsie CBTC system, and would result in the installation of said system in the R143s and R160s being wasted. Now that CBTC is installed on the L, trains converted for L line service will almost certainly remain on the L for the balance of their service life.

Sure they COULD uninstall CBTC from the R143s, but they aren't going to. Much like they COULD weld bridge plates onto the sides of R62As and run them on the G. I guarantee they are not going to do that either. Car equipment wise, you can think of the L and 7 as fully separate from their respective divisions from now (well, 2015 or so for the 7) on.

The R160s that run on the (L) also run on the (J)(M) and (Z) as they all share the 160s

There's no need to "uninstall the CBTC program", you simply put it into CBTC Bypass (turn it off)

Any of the 8-car trains: 144 segments back on the (C) 100% yet? Not asking all, just asking are there any R32s return to the (C) yet?

And I hope they bring that 8-car R32 train at East New York over to 207th and place it back into service or put it on standby (as spares). That will be about 230 R32s left at 207th but only 144 running at the periods when the (C) line is in place. Send all 48 R42s back to the (J)(Z).

Edited by RollOverMyHead

If there are this many spares... then why the hell can't the MTA give the C full length trains?

Well, if they have kept about only 300 R32s (the Phase I sets) and scrap the R42s, then the (C) would be able to use 180 sets of R32s. But now, what it is is what it is as you know the (M) ind (C) onfusing (T) ransit (A) uthority. Only reason why I am mad at the (MTA) is because of what they done after those 2010 service cuts and what's going on the R46 fleet right now (especially those on the (A)).

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Any of the 8-car trains: 144 segments back on the (C) 100% yet? Not asking all, just asking are there any R32s return to the (C) yet?

And I hope they bring that 8-car R32 train at East New York over to 207th and place it back into service or put it on standby (as spares). That will be about 230 R32s left at 207th but only 144 running at the periods when the (C) line is in place. Send all 48 R42s back to the (J)(Z).

Any? All I saw today were R32 Cs and R46 As...little disorienting after the summer, but that's how it usually is.

Any? All I saw today were R32 Cs and R46 As...little disorienting after the summer, but that's how it usually is.

Looks like the swap is nearly done and prehaps all the 48 R42s have return to East New York for the (J)(Z). I bet (C) riders are pissed that their train is back to short length of 60 footers again...

And on top of that, we can all expect frequent breakdowns which then leads to the (C) being ranked worst by Straphangers next year again...and even more large scale agruments about the R32s themselves...

And on top of that, we can all expect frequent breakdowns which then leads to the (C) being ranked worst by Straphangers next year again...and even more large scale agruments about the R32s themselves...

One day there will be people arguing about the R160s too. No doubt it has happened in the past to cars like the Arnines too.

It's the subway version of the cycle of life.

The R42 might stay so it can be retired with the first piece of R179 order (going over to ENY of course). Yes, the swap is ongoing right now, and I took a personal day today (I'm officially on vacation now) so I wouldn't be stuck uptown actually doing the swap. If I didn't take the personal, I'd be there right now doing it, they typically make me work late evenings on my Friday (same with Dan). Ive never seen a R160 on the (R) on the weekend, assuming all the R46 from Jamaica went back there as well, the R160 will disappear from the (R) until next summer (if the swap even occurs again). As far the R44, it went from CCY to 207 (unless a different one was seen), unsure if it made a stop at CIY though.

Ah ok, There has been at least 1 set on the (R) operating every day, even weekends, for the past couple of months. Anyways it was a treat while it lasted.

The Charlie hasn't been rated the worst line by the straphangers campaign from breakdowns alone. I pointed this out before. The vote also includes cleanliness, headway and crowding. Those 32s can be highly improved MDBF-wise after the SMS, but can still indeed be voted worse from the other factors.

The Charlie hasn't been rated the worst line by the straphangers campaign from breakdowns alone. I pointed this out before. The vote also includes cleanliness, headway and crowding. Those 32s can be highly improved MDBF-wise after the SMS, but can still indeed be voted worse from the other factors.

I understand. ;)

The (C) doesn't run overnight and has 10-minute headways during rush hour. With those service statistics the (C) will never be near the top of any Straphangers list, even if they bring in NTT's.

Any news of when is Joe Korner going to update the car assignment sheet to show that the (A) and (C) are both back to being 100% R46s and 100% R32s respectively, all 48 R42s back on the (J)(Z), and possibly the (B) being half R68s and half R68As and the (G) all R68As 100%?

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Looks like the swap is nearly done and prehaps all the 48 R42s have return to East New York for the (J)(Z). I bet (C) riders are pissed that their train is back to short length of 60 footers again...

Why would the riders care?

They are not like us transit buffs; they don't give a crap as to whether a car is 60 or 75 feet. My mom doesn't know how to tell the difference between an R32 and an R46, and that attitude generally represents most casual riders.

No overnight service isn't really a factor since the SHC voting usually refers to 6am to midnight. But that 10 min peak headway is a huge factor, same one that usually sees the G close behind only because the C has a worse cleanliness issue. The only current thing the NTTs can help improve the C is the announcements and maybe breakdowns. But mostly announcements cause all trains have their issues whether old or new

Why would the riders care?

They are not like us transit buffs; they don't give a crap as to whether a car is 60 or 75 feet. My mom doesn't know how to tell the difference between an R32 and an R46, and that attitude generally represents most casual riders.

+1

Thats why they keep asking me at 59st is my R-46 (A) a (A) or a (D) they don't know

Edited by Dan05979