Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I guess this week was lucky for me as I've never caught any R46s on the (A) when going to/from school. R32 (A)'s are saying goodbye then. :D Everyone else that take the (A) frequently, sorry if you got too much R46s most often than R32s on the (A) and even the (C). I've also felt that way too. Like R32 3838 said, those 140 veterans are there but you just got to wait if you pass up the R46s on both the (A) and (C). Hope to catch the R32s in both ways tommorrow which is the last day of the swap.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I read up on Wikipedia that the R179s and R211s will be equipped for CBTC...

They will be CBTC-ready. That only means that they will have room for CBTC equipment and an interface for the CBTC equipment to plug into. The Canarsie CBTC system is unique - the joint Thales/Siemens CBTC system has not been developed yet - so the CBTC equipment installed on the R143's will be of no use anywhere else.

You can still technically run any car you want on the (L). With the implementation on CBTC would make seeing anything else is unlikely

Anything can run on the L, but the wayside signals are now only at interlockings (except south of Broadway Junction), so any non-equipped train that strays onto the line will be kept very far back from its leader. Not a good idea if you're trying to run 19 trains per hour.

One can't say the 143s will permanently stay on the L. It's ridiculous and preposterous due to many factors:

Although cars assigned to the L are the only cars cbtc equipped, they WILL eventually have NTTs be all cbtc installed. Why not add newer cars to the L by installing the equipment and have 143s go to other lines which, in the future, will have cbtc eventually?

The logic of transferring 4-car set to the C may indicate no plans to extend C train consists to 605' or 600' with 75' cars. And with the oldest fleet of NTTs also being 4-car consists, why not "rotate them". Theyve done it with other fleets.

Aside from 64 R160's, the R143 is the only fleet equipped with the unique Canarsie CBTC system. Until the R143's are retired, there is no reason to ever equip any other cars with the Canarsie CBTC system (unless more cars are needed for service expansion, in which case only those cars need to be equipped).

Moving the R143's to any other line would be a waste of money, serving no purpose whatsoever. There's no reason to run 4-car sets of R143's on the C when 4-car sets of R179's would do the same job.

Edited by AndrewJC

I guess when designing these trains, there was no need for the conductor to sit, Anyway the rules state that the C/R must be "observing the passengers", or in their view in case they need help.

I can understand that, but having to stand while the train is in the tunnels must not be fun.

No wonder so many guards complain about them being on the (A).

I can understand that, but having to stand while the train is in the tunnels must not be fun.

No wonder so many guards complain about them being on the (A).

What about having to stand from 207 to Far Rock and then either taking the same 32 back to 207 or your next train is another 32. Its not fun. But thats how they did it before there were transverse cabs. It is what it is.

What guards?

In certain parts of the world, C/R's are known as guards... Oh and I bet you're pretty happy to have the R46 back on the (A) eh? ;) I don't blame you...

OK, Guards.

I'm happy because I don't have to be standing for 8 hours anymore. And when I do the (C) theres a seat for me so its a win-win situation.

The Switch will take place this weekend. Here's proof

8030983001_419e9d6668_b.jpg

To add another thing, I saw one of those papers at Euclid Avenue in Brooklyn (right at the end of the platform). Until now, I didn't understand what it meant lol.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

What about having to stand from 207 to Far Rock and then either taking the same 32 back to 207 or your next train is another 32. Its not fun. But thats how they did it before there were transverse cabs. It is what it is.

What guards?

Yes, I was getting at that. Standing for a few stations can't be much of a problem but when doing a round trip on the (A) on a 32... it can add up. :wacko:

Did all of the pre-R44 trains have seats in only the #1 cab?

Guards are what conductors are referred to as in Toronto. Sorry if I confused you, it's just my preferred terminology.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Besides the excellent point that AndrewJC made more succinctly than I did, The other reason why the R143s would never be transferred to the C is that it makes no sense whatsoever to split such a small fleet between ENY and 207, as the C would only use about 3/4ths of the R143 fleet, and no other line outside of those assigned to ENY would have any use for 8 car trains.

I'm not pro R143s to the (C) and I really don't care where they run, but with the moves the MTA has done over the years, would it really be surprising if they actually were to make such a move? Sure I don't see it happening, but I think it's premature to say it won't happen. That's what I and others believe on this issue. Whatever happens, happens. Ain't my trains, MTA can do whatever they want.

Edited by Grand Concourse

The point is, they cannot without substantial expense. The R143s and CBTC R160s are tailor made for the L- To move them elsewhere would require outfitting other cars with the Canarsie CBTC system, and would result in the installation of said system in the R143s and R160s being wasted. Now that CBTC is installed on the L, trains converted for L line service will almost certainly remain on the L for the balance of their service life.

Sure they COULD uninstall CBTC from the R143s, but they aren't going to. Much like they COULD weld bridge plates onto the sides of R62As and run them on the G. I guarantee they are not going to do that either. Car equipment wise, you can think of the L and 7 as fully separate from their respective divisions from now (well, 2015 or so for the 7) on.

they are doing the swap as we speak, BTW i heard that the R42 is staying, Idk how true that is but I heard from alot of people that the R42 might stay, and one of the Jamaica R46's went back to Jamaica yard and an OOS R44 (scrap) went to 207th yd

IDK how that will play out, they have 10 cars on that train. They gonna keep it on the (A), put it on the (C) with 10 cars or send a pair back to ENY and put it on the (C) with 8 cars?

IDK how that will play out, they have 10 cars on that train. They gonna keep it on the (A), put it on the (C) with 10 cars or send a pair back to ENY and put it on the (C) with 8 cars?

theres one major reason why THAT R42 Might stay, and of course it won't go to the (C), but ill just wait and see, plus ENY barely has room, since they have an 8 car R32 sitting in their yard

The R42 might stay so it can be retired with the first piece of R179 order (going over to ENY of course). Yes, the swap is ongoing right now, and I took a personal day today (I'm officially on vacation now) so I wouldn't be stuck uptown actually doing the swap. If I didn't take the personal, I'd be there right now doing it, they typically make me work late evenings on my Friday (same with Dan). Ive never seen a R160 on the (R) on the weekend, assuming all the R46 from Jamaica went back there as well, the R160 will disappear from the (R) until next summer (if the swap even occurs again). As far the R44, it went from CCY to 207 (unless a different one was seen), unsure if it made a stop at CIY though.