Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

and the A/C units are busted because of them being underground all the time,this is why they did the swap, the R62As on the (1) also have busted A/C no one cries about that

I've been riding the 1 a lot this summer, and the cars have been consistently frigid.

The R38 R40s and R44s were all more reliable than the R32. The retirement order was based largely on time since last SMS, as all cars R32-R42 were intended to be retired. Technologically speaking, very little of the R32-R46 cars is older than an R62A. 

I've taken the liberty of boldfacing the most important part.

There was never a plan to retire all of the R38's and R40's, all but 222 of the R32's, and all but 50 of the R42's. The plan was to retire all of the R32's and R42's as well, and to retain all of the R44's. Most of the way through the retirement process, the plan suddenly changed, and the R44's had to be retired. What was left of the old fleet was 222 R32's and 50 R42's, so 222 R32's and 50 R42's were retained.

I'm just wondering why this (C) and (J) swap wasn't done before, when the (J) clearly spends most of its time elevated, and not underground.

Because the C-J swap raises significant maintenance issues - 207th isn't set up to maintain R160's and I don't know if ENY is set up to maintain R32's. Notice that 66 days from the initial transfer takes us to Labor Day, and inspections are required every 66 days. If the transferred cars were all newly inspected, they will be due for their next inspection as summer is winding down, at which point everything can go back to normal.

Until 207th is set up for R160's, a permanent swap would require regular non-revenue equipment moves between the shops.

an R32 on the (A) can pop up anytime when an R46s is off the road and they have no spares, but this swap is working and the a/c works very good

honestly they should keep it like this let half of the R32s stay on the (J) and let half of the R160s stay on the (C), both lines will have a mixture of both and the MDBF on the R32s and R160A1's would improve

MDBF certainly won't improve on either fleet if the cars can't be adequately maintained!

if the (C) keeps the R160s the R179s will all go to the east (makes better sense) the 5 car set ones will go to the (A), I honestly think things won't go back to normal after this, we'll see

How does it make sense to put R160's on the C and R179's on the A? Why not use R179's for both, to simplify maintenance, since they can be maintained at the same barn?

The R179s go mostly to the (C). The (J) gets some to kill the last R42s. The 5-Car R179s go to the (Q) for SAS.

It's highly unlikely that the Q will see any R179's. From a service perspective, all 600 foot trains are essentially interchangeable, and it doesn't matter if the 5-car R179's go to 207th, Pitkin, Coney Island, or Jamaica. But from a maintenance perspective, seeing as the C will already be running R179's, the A might as well also get R179's, so they can be maintained together. Why assign R179's to three shops when two will suffice?

By running some R179's, the A won't need as many R46's as it does now. The F will run a few more R46's than it does now, and pass on its excess R160's to Coney Island for restored W service.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ummm ENY has experience of doing work on the R32s, when the 1st set got there guess why it took so long to enter service, it was in the shop being maintained, in 2010/11 the R32s went to ENY for HVAC work as well as the spring of 2007, ENY can and does maintains the R32s that are currently there

Edited by R32 3838

If they choose to keep those R160A-1s running on the (C), well then that's nice news for its riders. But if they choose not to then they got no choice but to put up with the R32s. Besides, it will get R179s anyway come 2015-2017. I would image that the (J) crews would prefer the R160A-1s over the R32s and R42s simply because they're the newer cars with automated technology and announcements and have full width cabs. Same how IMO the (A) crews would prefer the R46s over the R32s due to lack of seat availability for the conductors, like Dan05979 and Snowblock pointed out many times in this thread. I myself know I can be wrong most or all the time though.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I really think the (C) will be all R179, the (J) and (Z) will get some to replace the R42's the (A) gets all the 5 car units and bumps the R46's to Jamaica. I'm not sure if the (R) is still running a set or two of R160's but if they are they will be bumped off and some of Pitkins R46's will displace some of the R160's from Jamaica to CI for the (Q).

ummm ENY has experience of doing work on the R32s, when the 1st set got there guess why it took so long to enter service, it was in the shop being maintained, in 2010/11 the R32s went to ENY for HVAC work as well as the spring of 2007, ENY can and does maintains the R32s that are currently there

And that's why I said that "I don't know if ENY is set up to maintain R32's." Is the shop set up to maintain and inspect a full fleet of R32's yet? I don't know, and a few isolated instances doesn't say much.

In either case, 207th is certainly not set up to maintain or inspect R160's.

It's highly unlikely that the Q will see any R179's. From a service perspective, all 600 foot trains are essentially interchangeable, and it doesn't matter if the 5-car R179's go to 207th, Pitkin, Coney Island, or Jamaica. But from a maintenance perspective, seeing as the C will already be running R179's, the A might as well also get R179's, so they can be maintained together. Why assign R179's to three shops when two will suffice?

See, that's the thing. From a mechanical point of view, The R179 is just supposed to be a lighter weight R160. Therefore, there shouldn't be much of a problem. On top of that, what better place to have the 5-car R179 go than Coney Island? The shop that can maintain and has maintained almost every R-type car since unification? And to add to that, where would those extra cars for the (Q) extension come from? Where would those displaced R46s go? And a final note, why give Pitkin those 40 cars instead of just letting them keep what they have for uniformity? You know, since this is apparently coming from a maintenance point of view.

See, that's the thing. From a mechanical point of view, The R179 is just supposed to be a lighter weight R160. Therefore, there shouldn't be much of a problem. On top of that, what better place to have the 5-car R179 go than Coney Island? The shop that can maintain and has maintained almost every R-type car since unification? And to add to that, where would those extra cars for the (Q) extension come from? Where would those displaced R46s go? And a final note, why give Pitkin those 40 cars instead of just letting them keep what they have for uniformity? You know, since this is apparently coming from a maintenance point of view.

I would assume the cars would still be based out of 207th, along with those few (A) runs. Also the R46's would go to Jamaica, which would give R160s to CI.

The (Q) already has enough cars for the 96 Street-2 Avenue reroute...It already runs 22-23 trains. Like AndrewJC said many times before, the (A) most likely is getting those 5-car R179s to push off selected R46s to Jamaica where they will run on the (F) which will push off selected R160s to Coney Island for a restored (W).

There is certainly no chance the R179s will go anywhere else other than East New York and 207 Street. Otherwise, Coney Island or Jamaica would have to maintain a small portion of a car on top of two large others. East New York is the only exception being obviously that they didn't have enough R160s to retire those leftover R42s.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Really? Then if that was the case, the (MTA) wouldn't have listed the (Q) as one of the lines to get the R179 for SAS expansion.

Secondly, the R179 is not going to be much different from the R160. So again, maintenance should not be an issue.

Edited by LTA1992

Guest Lance

Part of the 179 order, most likely the five-car sets, is for fleet expansion. Probably dealing with the opening of the 2nd Avenue Subway. Whether that means the cars will go directly to Coney Island or be part of a large-ish swap with the other fleet has not been determined yet. And for the record, it doesn't matter if the line opens on time or not. The necessary amount of cars needs to be there when it does.

On the subject of the current swap, first thanks for the clarification Chris and Dan. I thought it was solely because of the CBTC SMS. With that said, the swap cannot remain permanent because 207th still can't maintain the 160s. While that's fine for the short-term, it's really not a good idea for them to have to shuttle trains over to ENY all the time.

Why do all that instead of just giving CI those 40 R179s? Why make things more complicated than that?

just because the r179 and r160s are ntt, it doesn't mean they share the same parts. So yes, CIY could handle an additional fleet type, but it would be better to just give the 5 car sets to the A and displace some r46s to the F and the F displace some R160s to CIY so Ci has only r68/as and r160s to deal with. Again, nothing is set in stone and is still up for speculation, but honestly, i think the mta would rather just move some trains around so the fleet is more uniformed than have an oddball fleet for one place. Keeping extra parts on hand for a handful of trains is just as complicated, if not more of a hassle. Edited by Grand Concourse

What is with this talk of the air conditioners on the R32's shutting down above a certain temperature? Does that refer to the ambient temerature, or the temperature of the A/C equipment?

Seems kind of strange that an air conditioner would be set to turn off when it gets really hot, unless it is going to damage the equipment. 

Also, I thought the R32's got new A/C units installed last year, unless I am mistaken. Shouldn't the new equipment prevent that problem?

just because the r179 and r160s are ntt, it doesn't mean they share the same parts. So yes, CIY could handle an additional fleet type, but it would be better to just give the 5 car sets to the A and displace some r46s to the F and the F displace some R160s to CIY so Ci has only r68/as and r160s to deal with. Again, nothing is set in stone and is still up for speculation, but honestly, i think the mta would rather just move some trains around so the fleet is more uniformed than have an oddball fleet for one place. Keeping extra parts on hand for a handful of trains is just as complicated, if not more of a hassle.

I would think those five car sets would be to get the remaining 46's off of the (F), not to send more over there. CIY doesn't need them, at least not right away. 

I would think those five car sets would be to get the remaining 46's off of the (F), not to send more over there. CIY doesn't need them, at least not right away. 

Also possible. I would think it'd be easier to send the 5 car sets to the A so the R179s are only in two yards vs 3. So your point can be true too.

looks like the R160s on the (C) are having trouble too, the heat is f**king with the computers

Lol, maybe the C is just cursed. Was there any issues when the R had them? And is it because the E has that express run in Queens why there isn't any issue there?

things are gonna get very interesting in the coming days

Also possible. I would think it'd be easier to send the 5 car sets to the A so the R179s are only in two yards vs 3. So your point can be true too.

Lol, maybe the C is just cursed. Was there any issues when the R had them? And is it because the E has that express run in Queens why there isn't any issue there?

the Jamaica ones get air because they shift em around between the E/F the R uses 160s once in awhile

looks like the R160s on the (C) are having trouble too, the heat is f**king with the computers

lol smh , doesn't matter what equipment you give to the (C) they will still have AC Problems , but thats what happens when you have a line that runs underground only , cause at least the cars on the (E)(F) and (R) shift around , i don't think eny yards  R160s are used to running underground all the time so of course its going to have its problems.

Edited by R62AR33

the talk is, if this continues with 32 & 160 break down on the (C) the (A) will have to start running local all the ways to make up service, some (D)'s to Euclid.....from TSS XXXXXX.....thats all I'm writing.

Thanks for the heads up. 

the talk is, if this continues with 32 & 160 break down on the (C) the (A) will have to start running local all the ways to make up service, some (D)'s to Euclid.....from TSS XXXXXX.....thats all I'm writing.

I rode a (D) yesterday to Euclid as a special lol, but yeah the (C) line is cursed lol

the R46s did fine on the (C) the R32s are doing fine on the (J) / (Z)

I rode a (D) yesterday to Euclid as a special lol, but yeah the (C) line is cursed lol

the R46s did fine on the (C) the R32s are doing fine on the (J) / (Z)

Each time i ride an R32 on the (J) and (Z) their ac is great , and now that you think about it the its not the R32s ac thats messed up its the cars running on the (C) all year long and since the trains dont go outside its pretty obvious that overtime the ac will get messed up cause of the heat. Now with the R160s having the same problems , i don't people should complain about the R32s ac anymore cause its not the trains problem ,you can clearly see with them running on the (J) that their ac is fine .I think we can all agree once the swaps is over the car assignment won't be the same anymore.

Edited by R62AR33