LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Trust me. They’re won’t be 20 short ones. It’s all mixed. Short ones and a long ones. If you don’t have them memorized by the time you go to bed Friday night. Don’t bother. It’s too late. Best of luck. Rooting for you guys. 

The ZONE A will be on there.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:39 AM, kev2112 said:

I'm taking the test Saturday...I know the signals cold. All of them. Definitions are a different story. I'm hoping for 20 short ones on the test.

That’s the boat I was in. I guarantee I got 100% on the signals. I just couldn’t get the definitions down verbatim. I knew what everything was and meant, but I kept leaving out words or replacing them with other words. My brain just doesn’t do words well. It’s sucks because I would have been 100% dedicated to this job.

10 hours ago, Bluto1899 said:

That’s the boat I was in. I guarantee I got 100% on the signals. I just couldn’t get the definitions down verbatim. I knew what everything was and meant, but I kept leaving out words or replacing them with other words. My brain just doesn’t do words well. It’s sucks because I would have been 100% dedicated to this job.

It’s not that your brain doesn’t do words well. It’s the fact that this is written sometime in the early 1900s and the language doesn’t make sense in modern English. It’s like trying to learn a whole new language 

It's not in your best interest to tell yourself that you're having trouble or that you can't do it. It is not productive or helpful to be hard on yourself for feeling like you're "not getting it". Just because you went over the material and then fail a self practice test doesn't indicate failure...you are not there yet. 

You cannot allow yourself to operate with a self defeating mindset. If you do, you will fail.

You have to come to terms with giving yourself time. I can understand the sense of frustration and urgency but you need to put in the time. Time is the key to this whole endeavor. 

If you make mistakes, errors, keep working on it. Give yourself time to keep working on it. Rework your flash cards, try things a different way. Keep inventing or thinking of how to overcome your mental obstacles. The more you work it...the time you allow yourself to keep trying and trying...then at some point it will fall into place. Don't allow yourself to get in your own way. Don't make excuses. Excuses don't help you. 

As apt and corny as this sounds, you gotta have the mindset of the Little Engine that could.

Edited by CrazyLoco

Took the test Saturday. Got 100 on the signals...I’m sure of it...and pretty sure I got more than enough definitions correct. They tell you that you need 100 on the signals. Here is my question; I saw them marking the signals while we took the definitions part. I saw people’s answers being marked wrong. If you truly need 100 like they keep saying, why wouldn’t they just send you home after marking the Signal test if you got one wrong?Makes me think the grading standards aren’t really as they seem. 

2 hours ago, kev2112 said:

Took the test Saturday. Got 100 on the signals...I’m sure of it...and pretty sure I got more than enough definitions correct. They tell you that you need 100 on the signals. Here is my question; I saw them marking the signals while we took the definitions part. I saw people’s answers being marked wrong. If you truly need 100 like they keep saying, why wouldn’t they just send you home after marking the Signal test if you got one wrong?Makes me think the grading standards aren’t really as they seem. 

Because there covering their asses. That you can’t say that you didn’t finish the test. I think by law they have to let you finish. In my final rules test before qualifying. One guy missed 1 signal so he failed. He had to retake it. 

13 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Because there covering their asses. That you can’t say that you didn’t finish the test. I think by law they have to let you finish. In my final rules test before qualifying. One guy missed 1 signal so he failed. He had to retake it. 

Gotcha thanks. Hoping for the call for Phase 1 soon. Other than that. Taking a break from train stuff for a while. Just want to thank everyone on here for their insight and tips.

4 hours ago, kev2112 said:

Also you need an 80 to pass the definitions part.  So out of 100% You need 32/40 right 

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who is wondering, Phase 1 is at Hillside Support Facility on Wednesday ~1700-2100L; Saturday is 0600-1400 at either HSF, Babylon or Ronkonkoma, at the discretion of the instructor. 

Right now Babylon is off the table because the Instruction Trailers they installed do not have power. So likely going to Ronk for anyone in the near future.

Also class is 7 weeks long, HR says 6 but one is "optional" final review.

Edited by Jsunflyguy

On 10/16/2018 at 8:00 PM, Jsunflyguy said:

For anyone who is wondering, Phase 1 is at Hillside Support Facility on Wednesday ~1700-2100L; Saturday is 0600-1400 at either HSF, Babylon or Ronkonkoma, at the discretion of the instructor. 

Right now Babylon is off the table because the Instruction Trailers they installed do not have power. So likely going to Ronk for anyone in the near future.

Also class is 7 weeks long, HR says 6 but one is "optional" final review.

7th wed is optional. 7th Saturday is your test. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 12:09 PM, RCARR said:

How much time should be set aside to memorize the definitions? Is two weeks sufficient? Three weeks?

Is this for the signals and definitions test? If it is. 2-3 weeks to memorize both signals and indications and definitions. Last week to polish the verbatim. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...