MTA is a Terrible Scheduler

MTA Dude

Q113 and Q114:

Each service runs every 20 minutes including rush hour.

Get a bus, a bus a minute behind, then wait 19 minutes for the next round of buses.

Q52/Q53:

6:58, 7:05, 7:05, 7:13, 7:20, 7:20, 7:27, 7:34, 7:35...

I'm pretty sure I've seen more like this in my pile of bus schedules.

Q113 and Q114:

Get a bus, a bus a minute behind, then wait 19 minutes for the next round of buses.

Q52/Q53:

Red: Can you show me an example and where this is, because I don't see it

And you do realize how badly packed the 53 gets?  Having the 52 like that makes sense. Usually the 52 is scheduled to come before the 53.There's really no other way around that, but Woodhaven does need that service, and it's only growing. 

Q113 and Q114:

Q52/Q53:

SEPTA is worse!!!

Q113 and Q114:

Q52/Q53:

I don't see what you're talking about in the 2nd one. Often times, they usually have them scheduled a minute or two behind each other because Hoffman is where the load gets critical for the Q53 and thats where Q52s gets crushed at the start from time to time.

As for that first one, I'm not sure what you're getting at, but you're basing this under the assumption that the Q113 or Q114 doesn't hit traffic or delays.

No way is the 113/114 scheduled like the Q52/53 is.... I don't know what the OP is talking about either....

BM5 explained why the 52/53 are scheduled the way they are....

....And you do realize how badly packed the 53 gets?  Having the 52 like that makes sense. Usually the 52 is scheduled to come before the 53.There's really no other way around that, but Woodhaven does need that service, and it's only growing. 

...yep, and IMO, it's due to the decreasing demand for local service along woodhaven....

Just to point something out, MOST new routes within the last few years have about 20-30 minutes headways even during rush hours, so it might be a while before the frequency of these new routes would be increased.

Edit:I am not just talking about shuttles like the Bx46, I am including buses like the B32, Q52, and even the recently revived B37.

Just to point something out, MOST new routes within the last few years have about 20-30 minutes headways even during rush hours, so it might be a while before the frequency of these new routes would be increased.

Edit:I am not just talking about shuttles like the Bx46, I am including buses like the B32, Q52, and even the recently revived B37.

Off Topic, I understand the Bx46 is new but it's suppose to relieve crowding on the Bx6. But it's not doing a good job in my opinion.

Why can't the Bx6 get artics? The line is really slow.  When I'm in the South Bronx, I always out walk that bus. lol

Current policy is to reduce artic route frequency by about a third, since artics hold 150% more people and we have a shortage of artics.

It also wouldn't do anything for speed, and might actually make it worse by causing worse crushing on the artics (see: Q44)

Current policy is to reduce artic route frequency by about a third, since artics hold 150% more people and we have a shortage of artics.

It also wouldn't do anything for speed, and might actually make it worse by causing worse crushing on the artics (see: Q44)

Well I prefer artics... More doors for people to get out quicker... Those 40 footers are so bloody small and tight.  The artics offer somewhere to stand, so that people don't have to block the doors.  If they reduce service when there are artics, then they should look at the Bx1 and Bx2.  Those buses come in packs all of the time...

Ask West Farms and see if they'll take some off the Bx15 and 19

The Bx19 is a mess too... Anytime that I'm on the BxM4 I see that bus coming along 149th street in twos...

Why can't the Bx6 get artics? The line is really slow.  When I'm in the South Bronx, I always out walk that bus. lol

I don't think the Bx6 needs artics. The only slow part of the Bx6 is the 155th Street Bridge and 161st from Yankee Stadium until Park Av. Sometimes leaving Southern Blvd (towards Manhattan) can take a while because of the crowds of people. I think the Bx46 should have had better routing to reduce the crowds on the Bx6. The Bx46 is no help in my opinion.

I don't think the Bx6 needs artics. The only slow part of the Bx6 is the 155th Street Bridge and 161st from Yankee Stadium until Park Av. Sometimes leaving Southern Blvd (towards Manhattan) can take a while because of the crowds of people. I think the Bx46 should have had better routing to reduce the crowds on the Bx6. The Bx46 is no help in my opinion.

Please... You haven't seen some of the Bx6's on weekends... Packed to the rafters... People have to wait until another bus comes... It doesn't need artics all of the time, but artics here and there like the M57 or M31 gets from time to time would work.

That's why me and some other members wanted the Bx46 extended to Yankee Stadium

Please... You haven't seen some of the Bx6's on weekends... Packed to the rafters... People have to wait until another bus comes... It doesn't need artics all of the time, but artics here and there like the M57 or M31 gets from time to time would work.

The Bx6 is my home route. It's not that bad on the weekends but It's really crowded though that's why the Bx46 needs better routing to reduce crowding on the 6.

I agree, I think the Bx46 should come off Longwood Av. Take Tiffany Street up to Garrison Avenue. Than Garrison Avenue to Hunts Point Avenue and follow the Bx6 to Yankee Stadium.

Well I prefer artics... More doors for people to get out quicker... Those 40 footers are so bloody small and tight.  The artics offer somewhere to stand, so that people don't have to block the doors. If they reduce service when there are artics, then they should look at the Bx1 and Bx2. Those buses come in packs all of the time...

In a way, it makes sense because of the (B) and (D) trains that parallel them both, but the Bx1 and Bx2 do need artics. The Bx1 gets crowded at either 149 Street or Yankees Stadium while the Bx2 gets crowded at The Hub.

I've seen the two routes handle Orions at least once a week, and it ain't pretty.

Off Topic, I understand the Bx46 is new but it's suppose to relieve crowding on the Bx6. But it's not doing a good job in my opinion.

The Bx6 is my home route. It's not that bad on the weekends but It's really crowded though that's why the Bx46 needs better routing to reduce crowding on the 6.

I agree, I think the Bx46 should come off Longwood Av. Take Tiffany Street up to Garrison Avenue. Than Garrison Avenue to Hunts Point Avenue and follow the Bx6 to Yankee Stadium.

...and it's not going to (relieve any real crowding from off the Bx6)....

Simply put, the Bx46 needs a either (or both) a real ridership generator (prospect av subway hardly quantifies) and/or a secondary riderbase large enough to keep the sub-par utilized route afloat..... To make matters worse, what patrons of what neighborhood takes relies on the Bx46 to/from their places of residence.....

The Bx46 is poorly executed, is all it boils down to.... We both know that much.

...and it's not going to (relieve any real crowding from off the Bx6)....

Simply put, the Bx46 needs a either (or both) a real ridership generator (prospect av subway hardly quantifies) and/or a secondary riderbase large enough to keep the sub-par utilized route afloat..... To make matters worse, what patrons of what neighborhood takes relies on the Bx46 to/from their places of residence.....

The Bx46 is poorly executed, is all it boils down to.... We both know that much.

If the Bx46 runs from Yankee Stadium to Hunts Point Station than goes down the Western side of Hunts Point I think it could help out the Bx6. But I agree the Bx46 is poorly executed. Everytime I see a Bx46 there are 0 to 5 people on the bus and that's just rush hours.

lol... Which is it?  Unless I'm going blind, those buses look pretty crowded to me on weekends.  Not all of the time, but particularly in the afternoon.  

Give the (MTA) a few years and something will happen to the Bx46. If nothing happens by 2020, then I guess there is not much to say.

Archived