MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

9 hours ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

4367 is retired from QV Depot.

2 hours ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

3518 from BP is retired. 

4519 from QV which is at BP Depot is supposedly retired. 

4581 from QV which is at LGA Depot is supposedly retired. 

4056 is retired from QV Depot.

4458 is retired from QV Depot.

4518 that was a former FP unit and got sent to ENY to be a swing Bus is now retired from Duty.

Added. The ratio of Orions is really showing with more Novas and Xcelsiors dominating.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

The MTA only getting 12-13 years out of those NGs (depending on build date in 2009) really is an indictment on those buses and those batteries. I can't think of a 40-foot order that aged that badly for the TA in ages.

Those Orion Vs from the mid 90s were pretty trash. The 93 Orions were good but Orion V #400 - 580 were awful, none of them even hit service in MTA Bus. Even the ones CS had were trash so you couldn't blame KB maintenance for those buses being bad lol.

581-610 sucked too, very slow buses but some units made it to CP for a brief stint.

IMO the 3G Orion is the best batch of Orions the TA ever got. Those buses are in excellent shape for their age. The OG/NG aren't far behind with the Orion V coming in last. The 6000 99 Orions are my favorite as a buff but as an commuter the low floor Orions are better.

Edited by trainfan22

5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Those Orion Vs from the mid 90s were pretty trash. The 93 Orions were good but Orion V #400 - 600 were awful, none of them even hit service in MTA Bus. Even the ones CS had were trash so you couldn't blame KB maintenance for those buses being bad lol.

IMO the 3G Orion is the best batch of Orions the TA ever got. Those buses are in excellent shape for their age. The OG/NG aren't far behind with the Orion V coming in last. The 6000 99 Orions are my favorite as a buff but as an commuter the low floor Orions are better.

Some 400s and 500s did end their lives at MTA Bus during 08-09.

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

What depot? I know SC had some buses from that diesel batch but they never ran in service AFAIK. I remember that cause I was eager to see diesel Orions in service in BK but SC never ran them.

JFK and Baisley Park had a few. You can find images of them on the TTMG site.

10 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

What depot? I know SC had some buses from that diesel batch but they never ran in service AFAIK. I remember that cause I was eager to see diesel Orions in service in BK but SC never ran them.

Only some Queens MTA bus depots received them and they were briefly in service before many of them went back to NYCT bus. 
MTA bus received tons of RTS buses as I remember the early 90s RTS’s buses being scattered between LGA, JFK and BP and were replaced when the NG’s started to come in. 

11 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Those Orion Vs from the mid 90s were pretty trash. The 93 Orions were good but Orion V #400 - 580 were awful, none of them even hit service in MTA Bus. Even the ones CS had were trash so you couldn't blame KB maintenance for those buses being bad lol.

581-610 sucked too, very slow buses but some units made it to CP for a brief stint.

They sucked because NYCT Re-powered them. They used to have a Cummins L10G w/ a ZF ecomat until 2001-2002 and they were great before the TA touched them. 

Not all of those Orion Vs from 1994-1996 sucked, They were okay. The 6000s were built like shit and was the main reason why they went so early. They were going to keep a batch but the frames were completely rotted out so they ordered more XD40s (the ones CS have) to replace the remaining ones. 

MTA bus got a few. BP had 244 (1993 orion V),424 and 480(This one didn't last that long, That bus was terrible) 244/424 were the good ones. JFK had a good chunk of them as well.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

JFK/Far Rockaway down to 96 units active. Baisley Park has 31. LaGuardia still at roughly 12.

So there are roughly 139 Orion VII OG’s still in service. The best place to catch these buses are in Jamaica since they are nearly extinct in LGA’s territory. I still remember when these buses were new and had that new rubber factory smell and the blackbacks. 

On 9/6/2022 at 12:27 AM, trainfan22 said:

317 and 581-610 were having their tanks expiring, forcing retirement. I am surprised that the 402-580 and 611-630 batch got retired as soon as the NG order came in...not even being transferred to MTA Bus (save a few 400s). By contrast, 244 and 247 outlasted most of that batch.