MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it when those 5200s left Quill they got scrapped shortly thereafter? I noticed that when they last got transferred from Quill to Flatbush and Jamaica they didn't last long at those depots. I'm not surprised 5209 is one of the first to leave FLA in this round of retirements. Are the mileage on those 5200 RTS much higher than the other 99 RTS or something?

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Why is it when those 5200s left Quill they got scrapped shortly thereafter? I noticed that when they last got transferred from Quill to Flatbush and Jamaica they didn't last long at those depots. I'm not surprised 5209 is one of the first to leave FLA in this round of retirements. Are the mileage on those 5200 RTS much higher than the other 99 RTS or something?

Remember FB had 5209-5212. 10, 11 and 12 all got scrapped within months of returning back to Brooklyn. 09 was the last of the breed. Also, plus those 52xx buses never really left outside quill that much. They spent a good remainder of their lives at Quill before moving to Flatbush, Jamaica, Grand Avenue and Fresh Pond briefly. 

6 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Are any D60HFs remaining?

Per this post on the bottom is your answer! 

6 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Anyone looking for D60s today.....might want to stop.

They've all been marked OOS, none have pulled out of KB for service. 

Safe to say that the D60 fleet is also done for good.

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

I'm sad to say this, but the D60HF era is finally over.

117, 118, 127, 5659 to scrap.

Farewell D60HFs, 1996-2019. 

Those 2003 D60HF's lasted 16 years in hard service - that is a tremendous accomplishment for an articulated bus.  Many transit agencies struggle to get the mandated 12 years out of an artic.  Kudos to the TA mechanics. 

Edited by RailBus63

6 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Those 2003 D60HF's lasted 16 years in hard service - that is a tremendous accomplishment for an articulated bus.  Many transit agencies struggle to get the mandated 12 years out of an artic.  Kudos to the TA mechanics. 

Some agencies try to extend the life of an articulated bus by replacing the joint at around 10 or 11.

I'm thinking currently Jamaica has all the buses they need to cover service leading the RTS to be removed in Queens soon 

The depot itself holds a majority of LFS and XD-40s

Edited by Calvin