4 train service increased while the 5 is not running?

alekr

For the next 3 weekends the MTA website states that the (5) is completely suspended. I know that the (5) conductors whom works on that line will be working on other lines. But I'm wondering will the (4) service increase to pick up the gap lost from the (5) or just a normal (4) service with longer wait in between?  

what they should do is increase the (2) on weekends im sure its crazy

They should run more service on weekends in general, but the excuse is that weekends is for track work, which explains why subways are like sardine cans then, even though it isn't rush hour.  I would vote for the (B) running on weekends (the wait for the (C) is just ridiculous along Central Park West on weekends, and the loads on the (D) can be insanely crowded), more (2) service (trains are usually packed beyond capacity) and an increase of (4) and (6) service at the very minimum.  

They keep talking about how the system is growing outside of the rush... Well add some more damn service outside of the usual lines like the hipster (L) .  We all know that line needs the service.  The (F) can could be more frequent too on weekends.  For some reason, I usually wait a while for one when I need one.  I will say that when I don't need one they run like water (the (F) that is).  Figures. <_<

They should run more service on weekends in general, but the excuse is that weekends is for track work, which explains why subways are like sardine cans then, even though it isn't rush hour. I would vote for the (B) running on weekends (the wait for the (C) is just ridiculous along Central Park West on weekends, and the loads on the (D) can be insanely crowded), more (2) service (trains are usually packed beyond capacity) and an increase of (4) and (6) service at the very minimum.

They keep talking about how the system is growing outside of the rush... Well add some more damn service outside of the usual lines like the hipster (L) . We all know that line needs the service. The (F) can could be more frequent too on weekends. For some reason, I usually wait a while for one when I need one. I will say that when I don't need one they run like water (the (F) that is). Figures. <_<

How many times people said why they can't run weekend (B) service?

How many times people said why they can't run weekend (B) service?

Yes I know how many times they've said it.  That has nothing to do with whether or not there is a need for the service.  The (5) is knocked out most weekends too, but I'm sure all of those people I see schlepping and taking shuttle buses in the Bronx could care less about why it "can't" run.  Track work, maintenance and all of the other BS excuses... I've heard all of them, and I'm sure they have too.  All they care about is getting from point A to point B and doing so as quickly as possible with the subway.  The issues surrounding the service is not of my concern.  We all pay for a service, and as the riding public, what most of us care about is the service or lack thereof.

How many times do I have to say why they can't run more than 18 trains per hour or below in the subway system on weekends? Answer that question.

That's for the (MTA) to deal with, not the riders.  They can't run any more because they're working with a outdated infrastructure that's a 100 years + old and in dire need of upgrades.  It's a disgrace quite frankly.  Riders need service, not constant excuses about why things can't be done.  

Is waiting 10 minutes for any of the non-isolated lines in the system during weekends is a pain in the ass to you?

I would say no, but waiting that long and then not being able to get on is a PITA.  I've seen a number of (2) trains like that.  Packed to the rafters.  It would also be interesting to see what the actual wait times are on lines without countdown clocks.  My waits are never terribly long on lines like the (4)(5)(6) but they seem quite long on lines like the (D) and a few others.  The (2) trains generally have lengthy waits on weekends (+10 minutes) too despite the crowded trains.

I would say no, but waiting that long and then not being able to get on is a PITA.  I've seen a number of (2) trains like that.  Packed to the rafters.  It would also be interesting to see what the actual wait times are on lines without countdown clocks.  My waits are never terribly long on lines like the (4)(5)(6) but they seem quite long on lines like the (D) and a few others.  The (2) trains generally have lengthy waits on weekends (+10 minutes) too despite the crowded trains.

I never understood why the Straphangers Campaign seems to think that 10 minutes is always a bad thing, even some other people seem to think that. Unless they waited 20 minutes or so.

(2), (3), and (5) have 12 minute waits on weekends, not 10

Does it matter how someone says certain things though? That's still close. Even waiting 8 minutes is close to 10 minutes.

I don't care anyway, because almost all lines have that headway on weekends. I was just saying it in general.

(2), (3), have 12 minute waits on weekends, not 10. The (5) has 20 minute waits on weekends, if it even runs at all.

This is more accurate.

But back to the original question, sometimes the (4) and (6) will run 7 minute headways instead of 8 minutes when the (5) is not running at all, but that does not seem to happen all the time.

The IND lines used to have 8 minute headways during the weekends too, but that got cut to 10 minutes in 2010 or so. I think the (A) and (E) did get 8 minute headways reinstated on Saturdays during certain times though.

(2), (3), and (5) have 12 minute waits on weekends, not 10

Yep, sometimes even longer than 12.

Does it matter how someone says certain things though? That's still close. Even waiting 8 minutes is close to 10 minutes.

I don't care anyway, because almost all lines have that headway on weekends. I was just saying it in general.

Yeah it actually does matter.  That's why some lines like the (2) can suffer from overcrowding.  If a train is due in 12 minutes but then arrives late, you've got a backlog of folks in need of that train.

And overcrowding on the (2)? Have it come immediately right behind the (3). Simple as that.

Doesn't make a difference.  People are looking for the (2) over the (3) in certain areas, so having the (3) come before the (2) isn't the answer the either.  The (MTA) already does that anyway.  

No they don't. Many times I've encountered a (2) coming right before the (3) does. Many other times, both trains are spaced evenly apart. That is when I see overcrowding issues with people being left behind on the platforms and that's what I find unacceptable. Do you know that people are also traveling within Manhattan too, right VG8 and TTC? Yes, I understand that the (2) will always be more crowded than the (3) no matter how you scheduled them, but having the (2) come immediately right after the (3) actually helps moreso because anybody that's traveling within Manhattan can use the (3), leaving the (2) to handle all the Bronx goers (uptown) or loose its passengers (downtown). Didn't I specifically told you this in another thread a few weeks back? That's actually a difference I see there.

I don't see how more off-peak service (or extending a certain line to help the other line in general), specifically on weekends, is the answer to everybody's needs of less crowding or whatever they want when there are simple ways to handle it. That's like saying the (C) can't handle the extra load from the (A) if the (A) gets its weekend headway slashed from 7 minutes to 10 minutes. Both the (A) and (C) serve the same stops in Manhattan and Brooklyn anyway, but the peninsula has extremely low ridership because the demand for transit is low, while Ozone Park residents prefer the "every other train" (via express) stuff rather than the more frequent service (via local with a 10 minute headway instead of the 15-20 minute headways they get now).

Who cares if one is express and the other is local? So? If you're at any station served by both of them and the express is 15-20 minutes late or so, then you should always take the local if the local is running at its regular 10 minute headways. As long as you're at any station served by both of them, then take any train that comes first. There's no need for more off-peak (A) service. All I see is nothing but bunched trains with the first being crowded and the second carrying air. And the (C) in addition isn't crowded at all either, just its seated being all filled up or almost empty. Also, never have I ever encountered any crowded trains between Euclid Avenue and Lefferts Boulevard & the Rockaways. That's why I, personally, want them to lower the (A) 's off-peak frequency from 8-9 trains per hour to 6 trains per hour, to match it with the (C), so that's 12 trains per hour combined on both the express and local. And anybody can take whatever comes first and that's it. The (MTA) needs to tell riders something like this whenever they do a full-line review or loading guideline upgrades.

The (3) can handle the extra crowds from the (2) in Manhattan, because not everybody wants to go to the Bronx. Don't make it sound like 100% of the customers between Wall Street and 135th Street are going to the Bronx. And don't make it sound like 100% of the customers are coming from the Bronx to the west side. There are people traveling within Manhattan too. Trust me on that. So don't say it can't help. I'm not going to support more frequent off-peak service for the aforementioned reasons, unless anyone can provide more information about the matter. When people are going to work and school, that's when the subway is busy. But when people are off from work and school, that's when the subway has low ridership. I'm not saying it's low low low though, but it's certainly not high either. You can get away with more frequent everyday service on the isolated lines, but I doubt more off-peak service is needed on the rest of the system that's complex as it is. It's not like certain individual lines are the only option, when there are multiple others that share the same stops as well.

It's important to keep trains crowded, to save money. This is not a ghost-town. There really shouldn't be more off-peak service unless it is really needed. If more and more people are actually headed from midtown/downtown Manhattan to the Queens via the (A) train, then you can add more service. But if people are just traveling anywhere between 168th Street and Euclid Avenue, then there's obviously no need for more service on either the express or local.

Seriously TTC, as long as everybody is able to fit inside the train (and not get left behind on the platform while waiting another 5-10 minutes for the next train), then there's obviously no need for more service. Read my other post and you'll understand that I'm not fully against more service. Only if people are letting trains pass because of crushloaded trains, then yes, more service is needed. Otherwise, how are you going to say more service is needed? Because all you care about is having all trains and all platforms plain empty? Let's not even go there. You know as well as I do is that is wrong and just shows that the (MTA) is paying extra train crews to run more service for little to no reason.

Have you ever heard of the phrase called "don't use it, you lose it"? I'm pretty sure that the (G) was cut permanently from the Queens Boulevard Line, was partly because almost nobody wanted to go to Crosstown. I mean you can only run so many trains on a line before they become downright empty. As long as more people are taking the (R) to the (E) and/or (F) or just simply staying on the (R), then the Crosstown Line (G) train has no business being on the Queens Boulevard Line.

Yes I know that...that's why I specifically said the word "partly" because...besides wouldn't two local services on the Queens Boulevard Line (during weekends of course) overcrowd the (E) at Roosevelt anyway? I mean more people always change over to the Lex at 53rd instead of just staying on the (R) until 59th. I don't think we should add more...rush hours has that issue already...

Archived