Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

6 minutes ago, AP-MTA said:

Do you think this is a better opportunity regardless then?

It's like I have a feeling that I jump on the hotel op, that my next steps in this would probably come up and I'd have to drop the hotel deal. What a dilemma.. 

You're going to have to talk to somebody that's experienced with the hotel business. I'm the wrong guy. I can only give you one side of the argument.

I'll tell you what tho.. If the hotel gig involves any lifting and labor.. I would stay away from it. You kill your body with that stuff. In transit we just worry about what we breathe in the tunnels, wear a mask and stay healthy without a broken back. 😁

Edited by Milano

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AP-MTA said:

It's like I have a feeling that I jump on the hotel op, that my next steps in this would probably come up and I'd have to drop the hotel deal. What a dilemma.. 

Transit will definitely throw you around.

To be frank, unless you're coming from a job that doesn't pay well and requires too much labor like retail or fast food. I would stick with what you have now.

Tell you what I heard last week. And this is hearsay so I don't know how true it is...

My train operator was telling me he got a buddy who he's been trying to get to become a cleaner for years. The guy finally got in on last year's lottery, ridiculously happy that he did, because he's been working for hotels for 20 years and they cut his hours so bad that he had to jump ship.

I dunno...🤷‍♂️ Business people and the rich will always use hotels, but normal folks won't when things are tough... Whereas, in transit, everybody uses the subway all the time.

But I say this not knowing what hotels offer.  With transit I can try to cross into maintenance of way and become an electrician or an elevator repairman or something like that, who make the most money.. I can become a train operator, a train service supervisor eventually... I really don't know what promotional path hotels offers? But if you know, I would love to hear it so I don't sound stupid when I talk about it next time! Lol

Edited by Milano

2 hours ago, AP-MTA said:

do hotels offer pensions? Cause if they don't that alone is worth it in my opinion,  the younger folk here(myself included) will most likely not have social security when our times comes to hang up our hats

2 hours ago, Milano said:

You're going to have to talk to somebody that's experienced with the hotel business. I'm the wrong guy. I can only give you one side of the argument.

I'll tell you what tho.. If the hotel gig involves any lifting and labor.. I would stay away from it. You kill your body with that stuff. In transit we just worry about what we breathe in the tunnels, wear a mask and stay healthy without a broken back. 😁

No lifting bro, or at least not much 😂, it's for security work. I've done it for the past 13 years at a university, I checked the hourly rate again and it's between $28.50 to $38.00 p/h, I'd be satisfied if they started me anywhere after $31 tbh. I expect lots of standing and walking around, which I prefer tbh. Waiting for them to call for an interview now. 

1 hour ago, AP-MTA said:

No lifting bro, or at least not much 😂, it's for security work. I've done it for the past 13 years at a university, I checked the hourly rate again and it's between $28.50 to $38.00 p/h, I'd be satisfied if they started me anywhere after $31 tbh. I expect lots of standing and walking around, which I prefer tbh. Waiting for them to call for an interview now. 

You're still looking at half the picture by only looking at rate of pay. There's overtime in all my checks, some of which is just sitting on my ass. I can call and get an extra day every week usually... Here's an example: veteran's day was the first time I worked my day off. The job I was supposed to do, the regular conductor showed up... So I came in at 11pm and hung out until I got a job at 5am. I took a train from the Bronx to Brooklyn and I was done. I ended up with 22 hours for that single day (included is veterans day holiday pay). All I did was sit and wait and do a one way trip. 11p-7am

What's the medical, dental, pension, days off and union contract like? I guess that's all there's left to compare.  There's plenty of walking here too, I've lost 30lbs working as a conductor,🤣

Edited by Milano

42 minutes ago, Milano said:

You're still looking at half the picture by only looking at rate of pay. There's overtime in all my checks, some of which is just sitting on my ass. I can call and get an extra day every week usually... Here's an example: veteran's day was the first time I worked my day off. The job I was supposed to do, the regular conductor showed up... So I came in at 11pm and hung out until I got a job at 5am. I took a train from the Bronx to Brooklyn and I was done. I ended up with 22 hours for that single day (included is veterans day holiday pay). All I did was sit and wait and do a one way trip. 11p-7am

What's the medical, dental, pension, days off and union contract like? I guess that's all there's left to compare.  There's plenty of walking here too, I've lost 30lbs working as a conductor,🤣

haha im right there with you the pounds are definitely shedding, my pants are too big on me now, I fell to board yesterday at parsons, immediately picked up an Echo job, then did an extra trip on the J afterwards. Being AMs makes me skip breakfast since its too early to eat for me. trying to pick up work on my rdo tomorrow

1 minute ago, Comrade96 said:

haha im right there with you the pounds are definitely shedding, my pants are too big on me now, I fell to board yesterday at parsons, immediately picked up an Echo job, then did an extra trip on the J afterwards. Being AMs makes me skip breakfast since its too early to eat for me. trying to pick up work on my rdo tomorrow

Bro we spend more time on the stairs than we spend on the trains. Let's be real 🤣🤣

On 1/10/2023 at 3:38 PM, Milano said:

Thanks for the insight, is that how it usually goes? Don't you spend 8 hours inside a train/trains per day normally? 

27 minutes ago, AP-MTA said:

Thanks for the insight, is that how it usually goes? Don't you spend 8 hours inside a train/trains per day normally? 

You definitely do not spend 8 hours inside a train everyday, no. Those are the "better" jobs in transit (with 8 hours work) and probably a 10 hour or 11 hour shift.. and as you can imagine the senior people have those kinds of days locked down.

Edited by Milano

On 1/10/2023 at 3:38 PM, Milano said:

Don't say that too loud...

You here to make your money work safe and go home..

That should be the bottom line...

I respect that...

10 hours ago, AP-MTA said:

The best way to answer this question without revealing too much of what's behind the curtain ... we're not on the train 8 full hours.  We get breaks and a lunch. The job is good at its core - benefits are good and pay is subjective.  Work you days off or stay longer you can make cash.

6 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Don't say that too loud...

You here to make your money work safe and go home..

That should be the bottom line...

I respect that...

You're right. Nobody should come here expecting not to work.. It just happens sometimes due to unforseen circumstances.

My time is valuable and while I might refer to it as getting paid for sitting on my ass, it's time away from my family which is the most valuable time to me... Being here waiting for a job is not my fault that transit doesn't have something ready for me. So maybe I phrase it not the best way, but it is what it is . I actually hate standing still, I would prefer to be more active.

To be quite honest being since being able to pick within a year, I miss extra extra in terms of money. Being extra extra you make a lot more money than you during your first time picking. So anybody complaining about extra extra be happy with the money you make now trust me. I still love the job you just will make less when it's your first time picking, now im just speaking from my own experience only. MTA is a good career it just depends on what you make of it. I was able to get my own apartment, my own car and still live comfortably alone.

They will occasionally play some nonsense with you.

I had a board job last night and they gave me a job that was listed as open on the sheets… so a job that had been sitting open. A job they could have given me from the get go…

because I’ve had moments where the crew office will call me an say “we have something for you if you can make it there in time…” instead of going to the board job.

5 minutes ago, Canarsie88 said:

Im really looking forward to the beginning of medical. I’m praying that Whenever God sends that call or email I will be grateful. I pray everyone is blessed in this entire thread. Real talk may the glory of God radiate in each and everyone of your lives. 7000s Club it’s our season.

I thought you were working already?

Just making sure but I see half and half answers so I'm confused. Do they do sleep apnea testing for everyone or do they only further test if you are overweight from body mass:neck mass/etc.? Can I get a test done myself to be ready and fasten the process if I do get called? Don't want to bother with a test if they don't care for it like the drug test that I had prepared which was completely useless.

Good luck everyone  and have a good day :)

On 5/15/2022 at 1:50 AM, subwaysurfer said:

Hi guys. I got called for my opa on June 1. My list number is 7001. Any tips or advice on what to expect? And also how long after the opa do they start calling you folks in for pre employment?

My list number is after and we already got called in and did employment in December so you might've not done too well on the OPA or missed the email and text that they've sent.

Edited by alexx

17 minutes ago, alexx said:

Just making sure but I see half and half answers so I'm confused. Do they do sleep apnea testing for everyone or do they only further test if you are overweight from body mass:neck mass/etc.? Can I get a test done myself to be ready and fasten the process if I do get called? Don't want to bother with a test if they don't care for it like the drug test that I had prepared which was completely useless.

Good luck everyone  and have a good day :)

Alexx - to be more clear the NYCT does not test for sleep apnea.  The doctor takes a tape measure and pretty much strangles you in the pursuit of finding out the circumference of your neck.  If the number falls out of the acceptable range they stop your process and tell you to get a sleep study on your own time and dime.  If you have sleep apnea then your doctor will prescribe you a CPAP machine and I believe after 30 days of continued use provide the results to the MTA which shows your sleep apnea is under treatment and then you'll jump back into the process.

I THINK the threshold is 17", so If I was you I'd do two things.  Get on a fitness plan which will result in weight-loss and a smaller neck size plus see your own doctor to get a sleep study.  If your neck size is already 17" or more you're already ahead of the game and wont delay your process. 

On 1/14/2023 at 4:08 PM, Canarsie88 said:

Nah not yet I did my first pre-employment first week of December still awaiting a call for medical and hopefully sworn in around the same time. 

Hello what's your list number if you don't me asking. Mines in the 77## range and I recently got confirmation that I passed the OPA back in September. Just trying to guage where they at for pre employment. Thanks again 

12 minutes ago, Mohamed said:

Hello what's your list number if you don't me asking. Mines in the 77## range and I recently got confirmation that I passed the OPA back in September. Just trying to guage where they at for pre employment. Thanks again 

Patience young Jedi - patience. Your time will come.