The (5) and (B) trains worst in the city

R3216068E

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/no-5-b-subway-trains-worst-city-report-article-1.2364066?utm_content=bufferfee95&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNLocal+Twitter

straphanger18n-1-web_zpsydmmctxe.jpg

Every New Yorker's got an opinion about which train line is the worst.

For the Straphangers Campaign, it's a tie between the No. 5 and the B trains.

In the transit group's annual State of the Subways report, released Thursday, train lines were evaluated for dependable service, how frequently trains arrive, breakdowns, chance of getting a seat and cleanliness.

The crowded No. 5 line had the most irregular service and frequent mechanical problems. Riders can forget about trying to get a seat on the train during rush hour, too.

The B line, meanwhile, had below-average service frequency, delays from breakdowns and garbled subway car announcements.

"The 5 and the B have been 'bottom feeders' for most of their modern careers," said Gene Russianoff of the Staphanger’s Campaign. The two lines have each been ranked the worst three times since 1997.

The best ride for a MetroCard swipe goes to the No. 7 line, coming out on top for the second year in a row.

No. 7 trains run more frequently than any other line, travel without a mechanical problem longer than the system average and have the cleanest cars, according to the report.

MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz defended the No. 5 and B lines' performance and criticized how the Straphangers Campaign's report ranked the trains.

The No. 5 train's spotty service is caused by extensive repair work in the Bronx, while there are fewer B trains running because it's a less-crowded line, Ortiz argued.

"The MTA has invested a lot of effort in communicating performance measures publicly and reporting in a transparent and timely manner, yet the Straphangers Campaign has not taken advantage of these innovations, new tools, and new data sources," Ortiz said.

This is BS... the TA themselves said the (L) was the best preforming line in the system, but now its the (7)? I'm sure the 143 & 160s have a higher MDBF than the converted 188s & 62As.. CBTC is less reliable than the oldest signal system in the subway?

Frequent mechanical breakdowns on the (5).. I find it hard to believe a part time line that uses NTT has frequent breakdowns, but the (2) which uses the same cars on a line that runs 24/7 with a harsh operating environment is more reliable?

This is BS... the TA themselves said the (L) was the best preforming line in the system, but now its the (7)? I'm sure the 143 & 160s have a higher MDBF than the converted 188s & 62As.. CBTC is less reliable than the oldest signal system in the subway?

Frequent mechanical breakdowns on the (5).. I find it hard to believe a part time line that uses NTT has frequent breakdowns, but the (2) which uses the same cars on a line that runs 24/7 with a harsh operating environment is more reliable?

Yeah I find that hard to believe to how does a part time line that uses NTTS has the most number of breakdowns. I can see the (B) being one of the worst subway lines because of its schedule

IMO this is bulk sh** but it is what it is

Man I respect your opinion cause I find this whole straphangers ranking to be a complete crock of garbage. How many times after time is the (7) ranked the "best" subway line after years of shutdowns, delays, and other bs I mean come on. I think Im getting tired of hearing too much about the (7), delays & rail condition and is ranked the best in the city what a perfect world, not.

Man I respect your opinion cause I find this whole straphangers ranking to be a complete crock of garbage. How many times after time is the (7) ranked the "best" subway line after years of shutdowns, delays, and other bs I mean come on. I think Im getting tired of hearing too much about the (7), delays & rail condition and is ranked the best in the city what a perfect world, not.

Well the (7) is the best IMO it is the most frequent in the system for obvious reasons

Usage yes, reliability no. The only thing they got right was the (5) and the crowds and work it has on the weekends.

I don't think the Straphangers Campaign rates each line on both weekdays and weekends. I think it's just weekdays only, since the Straphangers Campaign knows the (MTA) does so much track work every weekend that affects almost every line and their headways and whatever.

Yeah not surprised, the (B) train is always a piece of crap, having to wait 15+ minutes for a train at the height of rush hour is completely unacceptable and Coney Island doesn't maintain the R68/68As properly. The only reason it's not so crowded is because it becomes a local north of 59th Street-Columbus Circle, so people usually get off an wait for the (D) or (A).

Hmm, the (6) has the second worst breakdown rate of all trains in the system? Looks like the R62/62As are not helping at all, and regularity of service as a whole keeps dropping, delays, delays, delays everywhere.

Although the (7) is my home line, this straphangers stuff is bullsh*t. The line is constantly affected by signal problems that cause delays, and almost all the time it's during the rush hours and aren't posted to the (MTA) website. I know this because my mom experiences this first hand, from express trains not running, to even one time where trains weren't running between Times Sq and Queensboro. Although they might have the best fleet (brand new R188), the converted R188s aren't much good and the R62As aren't that great either. As for cleanliness, I know for sure that before the (7) was extended, the cleaners at Times Sq really put effort into cleaning the trains. They get the job done, even if they have to hold the doors for it. 

Ironic isn't it lol.

Yeah not surprised, the (B) train is always a piece of crap, having to wait 15+ minutes for a train at the height of rush hour is completely unacceptable and Coney Island doesn't maintain the R68/68As properly. The only reason it's not so crowded is because it becomes a local north of 59th Street-Columbus Circle, so people usually get off an wait for the (D) or (A).

Hmm, the (6) has the second worst breakdown rate of all trains in the system? Looks like the R62/62As are not helping at all, and regularity of service as a whole keeps dropping, delays, delays, delays everywhere.

So I guess the R142As MDF is lower by accident.

I don't agree with the results either. The (7) while might be one of the best it isn't the top best. The (5) I really have no strong opinion on because I don't use it all the time. From what I have used I feel like the (R) can be a little unreliable at times the (G) is too infrequent and crowds often which is another story in itself and the (C) from when I used it always shows up packed like a can. I really can't come up with a route that has the worst service and reliability because any line is subject to delays.

One subway line I find that has improved is the (3). I know now why they call the "red rocket" and lately the (3) has been steady improving. Even in the straphangers campaign table states that the (2) with modern R142 equipment and the (7) has more breakdown rates than the (3).

I agree with their assessment on the (B); it seems to come at whatever random time on an erratic schedule.

But the (5) isn't *that* bad, especially compared to the (6). I'd like to blame the R62As for the (6)'s service deteriorating but the (1) as a whole manages quite well (relatively) with them.

Archived