R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

13 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I cant imagine what will happen when the R211 begins its 30 day service testing. A bunch of screaming foamers with their phones out filming and running up and down the train. 

On another topic, people are still getting pushed on the the tracks and/or hit by subway trains more than once a week! When will this stop?

Never...smh...I want to say When ppl stop standing so close to the edge or when the mental dont enter the subway to do that....But looking at the video from last week one guy got pushed from nearly the middle of the platform onto the tracks...Me personally i dont step onto the platform until the train comes in whenever i use the subway...Nowadays i use metronorth or lirr for most of my trips...Back to r211 topic

Edited by biGC323232

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

You think uncivilized foamers would try to sue NYCT after getting injured? Haha.

The answer is they can try but cameras have all the evidence to reject their claims. Other than that, all they’re doing is scamming the MTA

1 hour ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Why do they need 2 locomotives to move the set, how do the brakes work, and why is there a decommissioned redbird between the first 2 locomotives? (with lights on somehow)

Double locos is probably if one breaks down, air hoses are probably locked in, and the redbird is maybe there as a buffer car?

2 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Why do they need 2 locomotives to move the set, how do the brakes work, and why is there a decommissioned redbird between the first 2 locomotives? (with lights on somehow)

Firstly because we like to run our locomotives cab first for better visibility and unless they're going the long way (or actually are going to CIY), he's going to have to run around the train more than once. while we do have procedures for "other than head end operation" where the locomotive could push, I would not be doing so with something so valuable. 

Secondly, more brakes, since the five cars are nothing but dead weight.

Thirdly, the "rider car" (nothing to do with me) is partly because we're not actually supposed to couple the older types of locomotives together. Only the R156 class can be MUed together directly. It has an onboard generator for the lights. It's also where the extra, necessary crew can ride 

On 10/30/2022 at 3:28 PM, trainfan22 said:

The R46s have issues but they are not gonna go out of their way to sideline them, the R32/42 were running 24/7 on the (J) right before the R179 pushed them out and had an even worse MDBF than the R46 do now. I don't recall this much concern when the R32s were running 24/7 on the (A) and (J) in their last days now everyone is so concerned about the R46s running 24/7 when it's a FACT that the 2022 R46s are more reliable than the R32 was towards the end of their service lifes.

The R46 have problems but they are not say, R16 levels of bad. They will last long enough until the R211s take over. I've seen this on here and Reddit this fear that one day the R46 fleet will suddenly drop dead which is silly considering that has never happened in the subway's 118 year history? 

IMO putting 46s on the (B) wouldn't help much as I've personally been on 68s on the (B) with defects in recent times. One four car set had one car with broken A/C (on a day where it was very humid) and dead motors on back to back cars. A fellow rider yelled out "JESUS CHRIST!" When he stepped inside the car cause it was so warm in there. 

On 10/31/2022 at 5:08 PM, RandomRider0101 said:

I agree with this. The only way the R46s will 'drop dead' is if they completely stop maintaining them. This is what they usually do when a fleet is close to retirement; the R46s are not at that point yet as a single R211 has yet to enter service.

Totally Random, but I just realized what I forgot to mention in my original response. I thought it was funny how you mentioned the R16 in connection to the R46, since half the R16 fleet (GE cars) were replaced by the R46s; the other half (WH cars) were replaced by the R68s.

The thing is that the GE R16s remained in service 5 years after the completion of the R46 delivery because of how bad the R46s were in the beginning; so basically it was a lemon-for-lemon replacement.

On 11/3/2022 at 9:03 AM, texassubwayfan555 said:

Weight distribution.  These are short locos with the trucks close to each other.  With 2 back to back,  the back truck on one and the front truck on the other are even closer.  The rider car in the middle stretches out the weight of the 2 locos.

57 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Speaking of the R211A, when will the 90 day revenue service test begin? September has long passed.

Well, you can probably search the sources. In recent updates the service debut was pushed to Spring '23. But as it is always safe to say on the sites, that is subject to change or whatevs....

5 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Speaking of the R211A, when will the 90 day revenue service test begin? September has long passed.

You mean the 30-day test; It is currently scheduled to start sometime by spring 2023. As already stated, things are subject to change; it can start before, it can start after. It's a wait & see at this point, so best to be patient.

3 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

Speaking of, could modified R211T B cars be set with R211S cabs?

Forgive my ignorance; I've never been used (SIR). But I see two potential reasons (MTA) would not want to use R211T on (SIR)

1. Is ridership on (SIR) really high enough to necessitate free movement between cars? I think it's a bit of a gamble for (MTA) right now, who is still not yet willing to commit to a full order of R211Ts. I think they're worried about replacing the R44 more than anything; even at the sacrifice of free movement between cars. 
  2. I'm not sure about the spare factor on the (SIR), but wouldn't one car going OOS take a whole 5 car set OOS?

SIR is to the subway what Canadian Football is to American Football. Close. Similar. If you've never even heard of the CFL but I showed you some footage, you'd know it's gridiron football.

That being said,.. Currently the SIR has 15 trains... and they are getting 15 trains. They don't need all 15 to provide service since ideally, some will be undergoing inspection, and some will be in reserve, to the point having to take a bad car out of a consist and add in a replacement is more effort than to just say "just park that set and go get a different one".

So, in theory, the could use an open gangway or at the very least, a permanently coupled set.

7 hours ago, Humidifier said:

Forgive my ignorance; I've never been used (SIR). But I see two potential reasons (MTA) would not want to use R211T on (SIR)

1. Is ridership on (SIR) really high enough to necessitate free movement between cars? I think it's a bit of a gamble for (MTA) right now, who is still not yet willing to commit to a full order of R211Ts. I think they're worried about replacing the R44 more than anything; even at the sacrifice of free movement between cars. 
  2. I'm not sure about the spare factor on the (SIR), but wouldn't one car going OOS take a whole 5 car set OOS?

Ignorance forgiven and, good point.

The most crowded the SIR gets is probably evening rush hour departing from St George, which is about half as crowded as your average A

10 hours ago, Humidifier said:

No, SIR doesn't have high ridership in comparison to subway lines such as the E, F, and all the number lines.

All r211Ts need to go to Jamaica since it has the highest ridership.