R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

4 hours ago, zacster said:

No, I did not overlook the obvious.  I explicitly stated that QBL is different for the reasons you state above.  Did you read my post or just react to it?  "Also, unlike the other two lines, QBL is running in a mixed mode with trains only going into CBTC on that line but running in block mode elsewhere.  And on top of that it is the first line with interlined trains."

And actually the MTA IS saying more service is possible.  Just read the CBTC page on MTA.Info.  But then you need the money to do it.

I actually read the posts that I respond to. Re-read my post and you can see what I said about more service. In theory  means exactly that. Not one word guarantees that more service will run. Press releases from the agency mean Jack to someone my age who has actually worked for them for 30 years and been a rider for 70+ years. Go back and look at the dates most of the subway threads were created. Maybe you can see what most of them have in common. They reference more than a decade of proposals and compare them to today. We all know that the “ extra service “ argument was overridden by the loading guidelines caveat in the past and I don’t see that changing in the future. If you get a chance go back and read the PR releases since the agency was founded and compare them to today’s system. Perhaps then you’ll understand my point. I am well aware of what is happening on QBL. RTOman keeps us well informed and has done so since the beginning. No argument with you but some of us have a different perspective based on experience. Carry on.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R46s have issues but they are not gonna go out of their way to sideline them, the R32/42 were running 24/7 on the (J) right before the R179 pushed them out and had an even worse MDBF than the R46 do now. I don't recall this much concern when the R32s were running 24/7 on the (A) and (J) in their last days now everyone is so concerned about the R46s running 24/7 when it's a FACT that the 2022 R46s are more reliable than the R32 was towards the end of their service lifes.

The R46 have problems but they are not say, R16 levels of bad. They will last long enough until the R211s take over. I've seen this on here and Reddit this fear that one day the R46 fleet will suddenly drop dead which is silly considering that has never happened in the subway's 118 year history? 

IMO putting 46s on the (B) wouldn't help much as I've personally been on 68s on the (B) with defects in recent times. One four car set had one car with broken A/C (on a day where it was very humid) and dead motors on back to back cars. A fellow rider yelled out "JESUS CHRIST!" When he stepped inside the car cause it was so warm in there. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R46s have issues but they are not gonna go out of their way to sideline them, the R32/42 were running 24/7 on the (J) right before the R179 pushed them out and had an even worse MDBF than the R46 do now. I don't recall this much concern when the R32s were running 24/7 on the (A) and (J) in their last days now everyone is so concerned about the R46s running 24/7 when it's a FACT that the 2022 R46s are more reliable than the R32 was towards the end of their service lifes.

The R46 have problems but they are not say, R16 levels of bad. They will last long enough until the R211s take over. I've seen this on here and Reddit this fear that one day the R46 fleet will suddenly drop dead which is silly considering that has never happened in the subway's 118 year history? 

IMO putting 46s on the (B) wouldn't help much as I've personally been on 68s on the (B) with defects in recent times. One four car set had one car with broken A/C (on a day where it was very humid) and dead motors on back to back cars. A fellow rider yelled out "JESUS CHRIST!" When he stepped inside the car cause it was so warm in there. 

The (J) / (Z) had a spare factor of R32s,R42s,R160s and the R143s(2015-present) before the R179s. If you take out the R160s and R143s, Half of Those R32s and R42s would have not been able to make it and they would have only been able to run 50% (J)(Z) service with 24/7 service. This was how they were able to run the R32s and R42s 24/7 without issue due to the healthy spare factor on top of the tech trains. When they did the (A) / (C) swap from 2010-2012, They had to borrow 3 sets of R42s from the (J)(Z) and 2 R46s from the (R) in order to make service and keep the spare factor normal. 

When the R179s were delivered and etc. This allowed them to replace all of the R42s and half of the R32 fleet with the intention to keep the other 50% of the R32 fleet up into 2022 when the R211s would have been in service because of the (Q) going up to 2nd ave and keeping the spare factor somewhat healthy. (originally the whole R32 fleet was going to stay along with the R42s for the (L) shutdown)

The Big difference here is that they prematurely retired the R32s completely with the intention of the R211s going into service in the summer of this year (which makes sense on paper). That's not happening now (all subject to change).

Now you have a very low spare factor now leading up into 2023 . Regardless of of crew shortage, You will still need equipment to make service. 

That's the difference between back then and now, There are barely any spares. Why is it hard for you to understand that. The (A) / (C) has to share 5 sets of R46 spares, That's not enough due to the size of the (A) line. They both don't have enough R179s to cover esp. the (A) which has only 130 cars meaning the (A) is 88% R46s.

If there were no spare factor in the past, The R32s and R42s would have not survived hence the R32s having a large spare factor when the whole fleet was at 207th st from 2010-2014.

And yes even the R68s are starting to feel the effect, I rode two R68As on the (Q) and they both were slow as shit.

Also they aren't going to sideline the R46s. If anything, once the R211s go into service, They'll probably send a few sets to CI yard to beef up their spare factor and give concourse their R68s back to also beef up their spare factor back to normal before they start retiring R46s which i would say by fall of 2023 (late november) we could start seeing R46 retirements

Edited by R32 3838

23 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I actually read the posts that I respond to. Re-read my post and you can see what I said about more service. In theory  means exactly that. Not one word guarantees that more service will run. Press releases from the agency mean Jack to someone my age who has actually worked for them for 30 years and been a rider for 70+ years. Go back and look at the dates most of the subway threads were created. Maybe you can see what most of them have in common. They reference more than a decade of proposals and compare them to today. We all know that the “ extra service “ argument was overridden by the loading guidelines caveat in the past and I don’t see that changing in the future. If you get a chance go back and read the PR releases since the agency was founded and compare them to today’s system. Perhaps then you’ll understand my point. I am well aware of what is happening on QBL. RTOman keeps us well informed and has done so since the beginning. No argument with you but some of us have a different perspective based on experience. Carry on.

Fair enough.  I've always taken anything the MTA says with a grain of salt.  I remember seeing a map of all the lines with their capacities, as if they would ever run that much service.  I sometimes think CBTC will at best be able to allow those same numbers again after 60+ years of slowdowns and only if implemented everywhere.

On 10/30/2022 at 3:28 PM, trainfan22 said:

I agree with this. The only way the R46s will 'drop dead' is if they completely stop maintaining them. This is what they usually do when a fleet is close to retirement; the R46s are not at that point yet as a single R211 has yet to enter service.

7 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Finally! Someone said it would be here in a few a days. Also they only ordered 20 of these cars? That's only 2 ten car car trains.

That's because they have to test them first. Supposedly, option 1 is confirmed to be R211As; the testing of the R211Ts will determine if option 2 will be open gangway.

18 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

What I love about this is it's still being delivered through the SBK so basically the same thing would be happening like the R211A pilot.

Most or All of the order are going to come through that way since 207th is still being worked on.

Where are these cars right now?  Still at 39th St?  I may take a ride over tomorrow to see 'em if that's where they are, not that there's all that much to see.

I'll combine that with a visit to my favorite BBQ in Industry City. 

Edited by zacster

2 minutes ago, zacster said:

Where are these cars right now?  Still at 39th St?  I may take a ride over tomorrow to see 'em if that's where they are, not that there's all that much to see.

Yes they’ll be there until the other cars come in and then unveil them and then they’ll get towed to CIY (pretty much like the R211A)

26 minutes ago, zacster said:

Don't take my word for it, but they will probably be unveiled this Friday or Saturday, either one. Last time happened quick, so safe to assume the same is happening here.

2 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

The (MTA) should allow some subway fans to go to the official reveal.

Considering how much drama the NYC Transit buff community has....No. Also, no way it be would as professionally done as an official news conference would be. 

Some railfans even use the MTA board meetings to beef with other railfans SMH lol. If I was the MTA I'd say far, far away from having buffs officially reveal anything.

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

They did that with the R211A when it first arrived, bunch of fans were outside the SBK recording and taking pics when it was being towed towards 9 Av.

The R211 unveiling got an offical news conference with legit news reporters, railfans just happened to be there as well. I highly doubt the MTA officially invited railfans, the fans there most likely had inside sources that let them know about the event.

Edited by trainfan22

4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Considering how much drama the NYC Transit buff

I cant imagine what will happen when the R211 begins its 30 day service testing. A bunch of screaming foamers with their phones out filming and running up and down the train. 

On another topic, people are still getting pushed on the the tracks and/or hit by subway trains more than once a week! When will this stop?

10 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I cant imagine what will happen when the R211 begins its 30 day service testing. A bunch of screaming foamers with their phones out filming and running up and down the train. 

On another topic, people are still getting pushed on the the tracks and/or hit by subway trains more than once a week! When will this stop?

This is why I don't go to many of these events.  I went to Brighton Beach for the Parade of Trains a few weeks ago and stayed in the rear of the trains because all the foamers are in front.  I got to ride 3189 empty that way.

15 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

The (MTA) should allow some subway fans to go to the official reveal.

No way.  If somebody gets injured on NYCT property, they do not want to be a party of a lawsuit.  Plus on recent events, members of the railfan community have proven that NYCT should not go out of their way to do favors.  No doubt they will run around the facility turning it into a playground.