R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

12 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I don't think I ever mentioned anything about the cameras because I remembered hearing news about. I also was speaking in terms of emergency intercoms and other tech like the LCD screens and upgraded PA systems, can't tell if you read my comment correctly. I literally could not care about the cameras or the LCD screens, but the upgraded PA system and emergency intercoms should be a must.

I read your comment correctly, each company worked on 5 or so different sets. The entire project was a waste because they never did anything with them and now all those electronics sit disconnected.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Princelex said:

The 3rd Option Order wasn’t approved because the MTA was in the middle of a fiscal crisis in 2010 & that was the same time those infamous service cuts with the subway & buses took place. I remember when that news came out and I was very disappointed that we weren’t getting anymore R160’s. 

I know, Albany could have still footed the bill though, Even for just an additional 132 cars (100 5- car sets) (32 4 car sets) it would have been better than nothing and the (C) could have been 100% full length by giving more R46s to the (A). R32/42s would have still been completely replaced by the R179s and would have been all 5 car units instead of the config. that we have now but i thank god that we got an additional 16 cars to make the (A)  have 130 cars instead of 40. I wish they would have gotten another batch of free B cars for the break apart to make more 8 car units into 10 car sets.

Speaking of the R179s, I rode one on the (A) today. It wasn't the same as the last time i rode it, 3014 rode a bit rough. They are really giving them a workout, I just hope they figure out the issues of the R211s because they are really needed for service and the (A) really needs more cars.

11 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I also haven’t seen any new R211. YouTube videos in the past month. The mechanical issues must be very extensive that the train is likely sitting in the yard. Better now than in the future when you’d have to pull the whole fleet out of service like we did with the R179s and how the Washington Metro is doing now with the 7000-series trains (also Kawasaki). However I’ve been hearing that the issues with Washington Metro cars may be a track related issue affecting every car in the entire fleet but that the 7000s are worse off

As far as I can tell the WMATA issue is a combination of a track related issue and a spec change made by WMATA to the 7000 series during construction which affected the structure integrity of their axles. Their solution at the moment is to do inspections of both more frequently to catch defects faster.

12 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I also haven’t seen any new R211. YouTube videos in the past month. The mechanical issues must be very extensive that the train is likely sitting in the yard. Better now than in the future when you’d have to pull the whole fleet out of service like we did with the R179s and how the Washington Metro is doing now with the 7000-series trains (also Kawasaki). However I’ve been hearing that the issues with Washington Metro cars may be a track related issue affecting every car in the entire fleet but that the 7000s are worse off

I saw an R211A 5 car at Bedford Nostrand on crosstown on Thursday last week

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I read your comment correctly, each company worked on 5 or so different sets. The entire project was a waste because they never did anything with them and now all those electronics sit disconnected.

In fairness to you, it's the MTA. Let's not forget some of the upgrades they were doing to the R142/A's for new LCD screens on both the AD overheads and side panels and new LED signs for the R142 and R188. Just because the project ended up not being what the (MTA) expected, doesn't mean there isn't potential to add a couple of upgrades to old tech, especially the R68/A's since they aren't going to be retired any time soon. 

20 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Good grief, we just can't catch a break can we? Well someone said they heard that the R211T is doing fine while the R211A is the one having all the issues; you have any insight on that?

The R211T is doing fine, minor kinks need to be ironed out but from what I’ve experienced and heard they’re definitely doing better than the original R211A

9 hours ago, VIP said:

The R211T is doing fine, minor kinks need to be ironed out but from what I’ve experienced and heard they’re definitely doing better than the original R211A

Really? A whole 10 car R211A was spotted on the Sea Beach line yesterday, correcting the issues that was mentioned

Edited by FLX9304

9 hours ago, VIP said:

If the r211Ts continues to make that type of progress then, most likely, the 2nd option order would consist of r211Ts. If that is the case, then Jamaica can keep the 2nd option order, while the C, and D trains (possibly the B) can keep the 1st option order, which won't include open gangway trains.

19 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Does the R211T need to undergo the same 18 months of testing the R211A had, or can it be the one to go on the 30-day test and enter service? 

The R211T is supposed to undergo a seperate 1+ year of testing b4 it's 1st revenue run, just like the R211A. If things continue to go smoothly, the Open Gangway train will test for a shorter time than the standard train. The reason that the R211A is still testing is because it's been having many problems; hopefully the issues get resolved soon.

12 hours ago, VIP said:

Kawasaki may have taken note of the issues the R211A is having, so they were probably able to make some improvements to the R211T before it arrived; just my guess.

5 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

The R211T is supposed to undergo a seperate 1+ year of testing b4 it's 1st revenue run, just like the R211A. If things continue to go smoothly, the Open Gangway train will test for a shorter time than the standard train. The reason that the R211A is still testing is because it's been having many problems; hopefully the issues get resolved soon.

Kawasaki may have taken note of the issues the R211A is having, so they were probably able to make some improvements to the R211T before it arrived; just my guess.

I think when the pilot set is on NYCT property, contractors and testers make note of issues on the subway car in question and send the notes to the builder to make the necessary changes to the production cars. Do not think that just because there are only the pilot cars on property that the production cars are not being assembled. There are probably some production cars sitting around waiting to hear the green light and the final revisions so that way, the finishing touches can be made on the already-manufactured cars, then they get shipped, while the rest of the order is assembled outright with the correct modifications, which is why the latter cars arrive faster and more frequently than the base order and initial production cars. 

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think when the pilot set is on NYCT property, contractors and testers make note of issues on the subway car in question and send the notes to the builder to make the necessary changes to the production cars. Do not think that just because there are only the pilot cars on property that the production cars are not being assembled. There are probably some production cars sitting around waiting to hear the green light and the final revisions so that way, the finishing touches can be made on the already-manufactured cars, then they get shipped, while the rest of the order is assembled outright with the correct modifications, which is why the latter cars arrive faster and more frequently than the base order and initial production cars. 

That makes sense. I heard before that they start production even while the pilot vehicle is still testing; they do the same with the buses, except they usually come in much faster.

19 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I know, Albany could have still footed the bill though, Even for just an additional 132 cars (100 5- car sets) (32 4 car sets) it would have been better than nothing and the (C) could have been 100% full length by giving more R46s to the (A). R32/42s would have still been completely replaced by the R179s and would have been all 5 car units instead of the config. that we have now but i thank god that we got an additional 16 cars to make the (A)  have 130 cars instead of 40. I wish they would have gotten another batch of free B cars for the break apart to make more 8 car units into 10 car sets.

Speaking of the R179s, I rode one on the (A) today. It wasn't the same as the last time i rode it, 3014 rode a bit rough. They are really giving them a workout, I just hope they figure out the issues of the R211s because they are really needed for service and the (A) really needs more cars.

I rode an R179 on the (J) a couple months back; the train was vibrating nonstop, making the ride a little less pleasant. Another time I was on an R179 (also on the (J)) that smelled like it was burning; those trains definitely have some issues, hope the SMS can address the ones mentioned here.

17 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

I rode an R179 on the (J) a couple months back; the train was vibrating nonstop, making the ride a little less pleasant. Another time I was on an R179 (also on the (J)) that smelled like it was burning; those trains definitely have some issues, hope the SMS can address the ones mentioned here.

Yeah, I like the 179, but I do find they vibrate at high speed, which is pretty unpleasant, taking away from their general smooth ride and quietness.

2 hours ago, m7zanr160s said:

Yeah, I like the 179, but I do find they vibrate at high speed, which is pretty unpleasant, taking away from their general smooth ride and quietness.

Yeah I agree; the R179 is one of the better fleets when it comes to comfortability, certainly more than the R143 and R142A/188. Those trains can be a nightmare especially when you end up with a really bad train.

What I can say is the R142A is the best looking train design-wise; they set the standard for what an NTT should look like. Plus they also have a quiet HVAC; I hate loud HVACs as they make it hard to hear important announcements. That's one of the other things that the 142a has on the 142s, in addition to the overall design.

Edited by RandomRider0101
Added a missing detail

33 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

R211A 4085 is hiding in the back of this advertisement which means they’ve got at least 20 cars already done.

310744881_180611457815609_73696177514889

This is good to see; I wonder if they could use one of the other already-built sets for the 30-day passenger test in place of a pilot set, if it continues to have issues?

5 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Yeah I agree; the R179 is one of the better fleets when it comes to comfortability, certainly more than the R143 and R142A/188. Those trains can be a nightmare especially when you end up with a really bad train.

What I can say is the R142A is the best looking train design-wise; they set the standard for what an NTT should look like. Plus they also have a quiet HVAC; I hate loud HVACs as they make it hard to hear important announcements. That's one of the other things that the 142a has on the 142s, in addition to the overall design.

Maybe when they were brand new but the R142 and R142S especially are holding up much, much better than the R142A for some reason. Maybe better quality materials? Especially on the inside. 

4 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

This is good to see; I wonder if they could use one of the other already-built sets for the 30-day passenger test in place of a pilot set, if it continues to have issues?

Well that is some good news indeed. So it appears they're going to be numbering the base order from 4070 and up?

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

R211A 4085 is hiding in the back of this advertisement which means they’ve got at least 20 cars already done.

Make that 25 cars. R211A cars: 4070-4094 have been built at Kawasaki's Lincoln, Nebraska plant.

Edited by RSMG106

2 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Maybe when they were brand new but the R142 and R142S especially are holding up much, much better than the R142A for some reason. Maybe better quality materials? Especially on the inside. 

I was referring to the actual design of the train, not the cleanliness; ofc no train looks good when its dirty. In the the case of the R142s & R142As, I heard it had something to do with the material the trains are made with; that would explain why Jerome R142As 7591-7810 look worse compared to Jerome R142s, even though neither is currently being cleaned externally due to the yard wash being 'broken'.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:39 PM, R32 3838 said:

Given it is the oldest R179, it's been through alot.

3 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

Given it is the oldest R179, it's been through alot.

It's the fleet in general, Gotta remember that they use the R179s a lot on the (A) and they try to keep the majority of the fleet out 24/7 since it's the newest cars on that line which is still not enough, The R211s will fix this problem.

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Once the first set pass it's 30 day test, These will be all on property (20 plus cars) by the late spring-summer of this year. SIR cars should be coming any moment between now and march.