R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Also the Subway System is just physically large. I was watching some of DJ Hammer's videos and they were running them through a lot of diverse parts of the B division and ideally they prolly want to run them on every mile of B-division track in use.

At the very least though, they need to test the extremes, like most extreme curve, most extreme S-curve, most extreme inclines and declines, narrowest tunnel, ect.

running through every part of the system doesnt take long, there were issues with other tests

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, zacster said:

I thought I heard one of the bigwigs saying that these cars will be 3 times as reliable as the R160s.  Or is it 3x as reliable as an R46?  Given the condition of the R46 that's not even a compliment. 

But could someone educate me as to why this is taking so long?  They've had that test train for how long now?  Couldn't they put it in service now?  What are they waiting for?

Do you want a repeat of what happened with the r179's in 2019 and 2020??

Let's be patient. 

It makes sense for the r211's to enter service and stay in service than rush the r211's to passenger service only to massively be pulled out of service due to issues.

Also look at what happened to the new subway cars in Washington DC? Do you want that to happen in NYC too?

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

Slightly off topic, but does the R211 facelift gonna be for the next few car gens? It seems like the dark-navy blue and yellow are the new colors of the subway fleet, and while that's fine on the outside, I'm not a big fan of the R211's from what I've seen; the R143, R160, and R179 feel much airer and lighter yet have held up pretty well.

The MTA will have to start looking into an R68 replacement in the not too distant future.

As someone with relatively poor eyesight, I'm most happy they brought back the full-sized bullet in color so less squinting, and also color is def useful to some tourists I imagine.

2 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Slightly off topic, but does the R211 facelift gonna be for the next few car gens? It seems like the dark-navy blue and yellow are the new colors of the subway fleet, and while that's fine on the outside, I'm not a big fan of the R211's from what I've seen; the R143, R160, and R179 feel much airer and lighter yet have held up pretty well.

I agree. I'm not a fan of the blue-yellow and not convinced it will hold up well over the years. The more stainless steel, the better, if you ask me. I want it to look bright and clean for as long as possible. 

17 minutes ago, rbrome said:

I agree. I'm not a fan of the blue-yellow and not convinced it will hold up well over the years. The more stainless steel, the better, if you ask me. I want it to look bright and clean for as long as possible. 

What's the deal with the yellow poles and hand grabs? The R211T seems to have ditched them and gone back to stainless steel interior (thankfully) so does that mean the rest of the R211A's also have stainless poles and the yellow is just a quirk of the prototype trains? 

2 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

The MTA will have to start looking into an R68 replacement in the not too distant future.

As someone with relatively poor eyesight, I'm most happy they brought back the full-sized bullet in color so less squinting, and also color is def useful to some tourists I imagine.

I think as long as the poles remain stainless there's nothing wrong with navy/yellow seats. After all they are high durability plastic just like previous subway car seats so the color really doesn't matter. 

On 2/3/2023 at 8:24 PM, jon2305 said:

Not for nothing but do you expect the media to know the difference between a New York subway car...... cause I don't lol.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:34 PM, Vulturious said:

Didn't they show an R62A? Either we didn't watch the same video or that's one hell of a mandela effect I'm experiencing.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:58 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Only TA workers and railfans.

The average rider and the media don't know anything about subway car fleets.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:23 PM, trainfan22 said:

The NBC4 5PM newscast showed an R68 but the YouTube version showed an R62A on the (6)

They switched the video and still got the wrong car class lol

ABC7 got it right by actually showing an R46 on the (A).

Thats why the media universally refers to the train operator as conductor 

9 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

What's the deal with the yellow poles and hand grabs? The R211T seems to have ditched them and gone back to stainless steel interior (thankfully) so does that mean the rest of the R211A's also have stainless poles and the yellow is just a quirk of the prototype trains? 

They were going to use yellow for the poles but the paint was found to chip very fast so they went back to regular stainless steel

12 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

10 hours ago, rbrome said:

The R211 interior design was already altered due to the reasons mentioned here; the yellow poles were changed back to stainless steel.

If there's anything else left that won't age well, it would be those exterior wraps at the cab ends which I'm not a fan of myself; everything else is perfectly fine.

8 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

The R211 interior design was already altered due to the reasons mentioned here; the yellow poles were changed back to stainless steel.

If there's anything else left that won't age well, it would be those exterior wraps at the cab ends which I'm not a fan of myself; everything else is perfectly fine.

The wraps make the cars look a bit too-branded for my liking and the MTA spending money to put them on the R160s is a huge waste on money imo.

This seems to be real. Just noticed something, is the R211S already here????? I say that because it sounds like it was on the move for some of the announcements.

I take it back, Mr. Railfan apparently made it himself. Probably took advantage of the new voice AI running around that can manipulate someone's voice.

Edited by Vulturious

17 hours ago, Vulturious said:

This seems to be real. Just noticed something, is the R211S already here????? I say that because it sounds like it was on the move for some of the announcements.

I take it back, Mr. Railfan apparently made it himself. Probably took advantage of the new voice AI running around that can manipulate someone's voice.

Description of the vid says "My take on what I think the upcoming R211s Announcements will sound like for the Staten Island Railway. Featuring Kathleen, the (A)(C)(F) Line voice. "

So it's not real unfortunately

14 minutes ago, Reptile said:

Description of the vid says "My take on what I think the upcoming R211s Announcements will sound like for the Staten Island Railway. Featuring Kathleen, the (A)(C)(F) Line voice. "

So it's not real unfortunately

I am well aware of the description which during the first hour of upload was nothing, it wasn't until someone asked in his comments that he updated the description. Also, I'm going to safely assume you didn't see my second line in that message correcting and calling myself out.

On 2/6/2023 at 9:43 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Do you want a repeat of what happened with the r179's in 2019 and 2020??

Let's be patient. 

It makes sense for the r211's to enter service and stay in service than rush the r211's to passenger service only to massively be pulled out of service due to issues.

Also look at what happened to the new subway cars in Washington DC? Do you want that to happen in NYC too?

I'm not saying they should have 400 (or whatever the number is) cars immediately put on the line, but for the in service test for a period.  You don't want to rush it but you don't want them dragging their feet either.

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Crew qualification needs means that’s difficult if not impossible, unless you have a small handful of crews who jump from line to line with the trains for the first few months until enough crews are ready.

That’s exactly what they should do. Test it on each line to see where it works better and then do a fleet swap program