R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

I believe the MTA said option order 2 would consist of 8 four-car sets. This suggests that if the Eastern Division needed more service, the MTA would move the R179s from the (C) onto it.

The (G) desperately needs full-length trains, and if they cannot do 10 cars, they should do 8 cars. (Or at least run better service.)

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Either way, I’m very much looking forward to riding the R211T. I want to experience riding an open gangway train here at home after riding them elsewhere.

The sooner they can get the (C) to 100% full length, the better. It is foolish to be operating trains of different lengths at the same time on the same line because the cars are operated in inflexible perma-linked sets. Unless there’s some way to alert riders on the platform ahead of time as to whether the next (C) train will be a 480ft train or a 600ft train so they can position themselves accordingly.

The C got screwed up big time with the r179's. The MTA didn't order enough 10 car r179's and the C was originally supposed to get the bulk of the r179's, but instead the JZ got the bulk of the r179's.

The C will become 100% full length. It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when.

5 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The C got screwed up big time with the r179's. The MTA didn't order enough 10 car r179's and the C was originally supposed to get the bulk of the r179's, but instead the JZ got the bulk of the r179's.

The C will become 100% full length. It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when.

That's basically what I said. It was stupid to order 8 car C trains and 10 car A trains. I am just hoping they fix this with the 211s.

44 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Did the MTA not know how to do math? They had to retire the R32s and R42s on the A/C/J/Z, it should not be very difficult to put full-length R179s on the A/C.

1 hour ago, AZthefoamer said:

I believe the MTA said option order 2 would consist of 8 four-car sets. This suggests that if the Eastern Division needed more service, the MTA would move the R179s from the (C) onto it.

The (G) desperately needs full-length trains, and if they cannot do 10 cars, they should do 8 cars. (Or at least run better service.)

Since there is a surplus of 8 car trains, the G will get 8 car trains.

IMO, the G should get r160's because the G is in Jamaica, the M should be a mixed fleet of r211's and r160's, the L should definitely get the r143's from the JZ and the JZ should be 100% r179's.

There's a possibility that the 8 car r211's would be open gangway, so it makes sense for the M to get them, since it runs on QBL.

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Since there is a surplus of 8 car trains, the G will get 8 car trains.

IMO, the G should get r160's because the G is in Jamaica, the M should be a mixed fleet of r211's and r160's, the L should definitely get the r143's from the JZ and the JZ should be 100% r179's.

There's a possibility that the 8 car r211's would be open gangway, so it makes sense for the M to get them, since it runs on QBL.

This mostly makes sense, but the problem is that the (J) and (Z) have 20 trains assigned to them, and having it completely be R179s may be insufficient. We also have no idea if the second option will be exercised - does it necessarily make sense?

1 hour ago, AZthefoamer said:

This mostly makes sense, but the problem is that the (J) and (Z) have 20 trains assigned to them, and having it completely be R179s may be insufficient. We also have no idea if the second option will be exercised - does it necessarily make sense?

If I'm not mistaken, there are more than 20 eight car r179 trains split between the C J and Z.

4 hours ago, Ale188 said:

Makes a lot of sense. They should have only ordered 4 car sets for the J and Z, not the J, C and Z. 8th Ave should stay 5 car but the MTA didn't think that far as you said. Now, they are actually using their brains to order 5 car sets for all of 8th Ave except the E.

The 4 car R160s wants to have a word with you

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Rotation between what specifically?

Rotation in this sense means it could be assigned any set of trips which means the train can be on any interval. The train cannot teleport from one terminal to another so when it's assigned an interval, it should be on that rotation (207->FR or Lefferts and back and all subsequent trips). Right now it's in circulation on any interval, therefore in rotation between any trip and can run whenever and wherever provided that there's a qualified crew. Hopefully, I explained this clearly and concisely.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Rotation between what specifically?

2 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Rotation in this sense means it could be assigned any set of trips which means the train can be on any interval. The train cannot teleport from one terminal to another so when it's assigned an interval, it should be on that rotation (207->FR or Lefferts and back and all subsequent trips). Right now it's in circulation on any interval, therefore in rotation between any trip and can run whenever and wherever provided that there's a qualified crew. Hopefully, I explained this clearly and concisely.

I was thinking about that

Edited by FLX9304

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

What is the new schedule for the R211 now that it cleared the 30-day test and runs a different service pattern?

I'm not convinced that it actually passed those 30-days, because it was still doing its testing interval after the test period.....and it was taken OOS yesterday because of propulsion problems.

Something is up.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I'm not convinced that it actually passed those 30-days, because it was still doing its testing interval after the test period.....and it was taken OOS yesterday because of propulsion problems.

Something is up.

You're right; I asked around, apparently there've been multiple clock resets that they've been quiet about. With the OOS yesterday (4/11/23), we're probably back on day 1 as of today, if it even ran today.

12 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

Idk if this is normal, but it seems that right after school (~2:00-4:00), the (G) train can be packed with public HS students, I think because a disproportionate share of students have to commute from Brooklyn to Queens directly and vis-versa. They should run more (G) trains during those intervals IMO.

Edited by ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ

5 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Idk if this is normal, but it seems that right after school (~2:00-4:00), the (G) train can be packed with public HS students, I think because a disproportionate share of students have to commute from Brooklyn to Queens directly and vis-versa. They should run more (G) trains during those intervals IMO.

making the G full length would do better than to have more half length G's, also not much extra equipment around at the moment

35 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

You're right; I asked around, apparently there've been multiple clock resets that they've been quiet about. With the OOS yesterday (4/11/23), we're probably back on day 1 as of today, if it even ran today.

I knew something smelled fishy.

And it's not the sushi I'm eating right now either.

6 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Something is up.

Well, if nothing else, it's good that these things are being caught now.

Let's just hope this doesn't balloon into yet another R179 fiasco (though I doubt this, in no small part because that involved mind-boggling incompetence).

7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Something is up.

Interesting. I noticed on Monday it wasn't running the same schedule (unless the road went to shit in the AM, but I don't think so, since there was a 46 running the exact same interval), so assumed it had cleared for a new pattern.