R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, JustTheSIR said:

You know, I keep on hearing stuff about the 8 car sets being sent to ENY but does ENY even need, or can even hold that many 8 car sets? Why not throw some onto the Q for Phase 2, or something

feel free to roast me

Is the (L) chopped liver or something?

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

Confirmed Pitkin has retired R46 - 6244 and 6246 for parts with the R211A’s coming into service 

Blame it on the knuckleheads who broke the windows on the r46's.

Don't be surprised if these idiots did these acts of vandalism to pressure the MTA to put NTTs on the NQW. Notice that AFAIK they only vandalized CI r46's.

I just hope that these vandals get caught and serve time in jail. 

Also, the MTA needs to exercise caution in regards to retiring the r46's. IMO the r46's should temporarily be stored as emergency fleet before being scrapped.

1 minute ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Don't be surprised if these idiots did these acts of vandalism to pressure the MTA to put NTTs on the NQW. Notice that AFAIK they only vandalized CI r46's.

Also, the MTA needs to exercise caution in regards to retiring the r46's. IMO the r46's should temporarily be stored as emergency fleet before being scrapped.

Seems all these cars that were not in regular service were stripped of windows and will not be replaced, these cars will now be used for parts.

33 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Fair weather foamers is what I call them. If They think the (MTA) is gonna put new techs on the (N)(Q) & (W), they got another thing coming. If they’re not paying attention, they better be now. Extra security is being place at ALL (N), (Q) & (W) stations for any person or persons of interest who dare to smash windows again. It’s $500 fine & 1 year in jail. And I don’t wanna hear NONE of their parents or legal guardians of that person saying that he or she was a good person. These NASD windows are very expensive. You want new subway cars? I’ll see you in a year! 

1 hour ago, MJHmarc said:

Confirmed Pitkin has retired R46 - 6244 and 6246 for parts with the R211A’s coming into service 

Ever since the (A) has more R211 sets in-service this month, to add-on, those AA pairs are not seen that often. Maybe if it's just me but I remember on some R46s at Fulton St, you'll see 1 out of the rest of the 46s with a 4-car with a 2 AA pairs in-service. Or that the (MTA) kept that in-mind not to use the rest of the AA set when it reaches said train #. The last time a AA pair was seen or recorded in video was last month, early August 2023. 

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

You know, I keep on hearing stuff about the 8 car sets being sent to ENY but does ENY even need, or can even hold that many 8 car sets?

Don't mind me dropping some quick Queenslink advocacy here but, those extra 8 car trains can certainly be used for that project lol. Even if its not enough R211 option order 2 with those 4 car sets can also help too.

Edited by ArchytectAnthony

54 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Fair weather foamers is what I call them. If They think the (MTA) is gonna put new techs on the (N)(Q) & (W), they got another thing coming. If they’re not paying attention, they better be now. Extra security is being place at ALL (N), (Q) & (W) stations for any person or persons of interest who dare to smash windows again. It’s $500 fine & 1 year in jail. And I don’t wanna hear NONE of their parents or legal guardians of that person saying that he or she was a good person. These NASD windows are very expensive. You want new subway cars? I’ll see you in a year! 

Those irresponsible parents need to be held accountable as well. Where were those parents when their teens are breaking subway windows or subway surfing??

I get it, people need to work. However, kids and teens need to be under adult supervision until they graduate from high school.

5 minutes ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

Don't mind me dropping some quick Queenslink advocacy here but, those extra 8 car trains can certainly be used for that project lol. Even if its not enough R211 option order 2 with those 4 car sets can also help too.

That's ok. I support Queens link 100%. The MTA has the equipment plus the right of way to allow the M train to be extended to Rockaway Park.

The MTA can also probably modify the option 2 order of r211's to include more 8 car trains and perhaps include more 8 car trains in the r268 order.

4 hours ago, Ale188 said:

Already? @R32 3838 said that 80 cars would have to be in service for R46s to start going OOS and stripped. There's only 60 rn.

60 is tight but they can get away with it since the R211s are brand new and wouldn't need a high spare factor. I just estimated that 80 would be needed to fill the void of the R32s.

This is why this agency is really retarded. They shouldn't retire anything until they have more than enough cars to cover for the lack of spares. I'm not surprised at all since all the A-A cars were already sidelined for just about a month. They still don't learn their lesson during the retirements of past fleets. If they just sideline cars in storage as back ups like they did with the R32s in 2021 then that wouldn't be an issue.

CI desperately need more cars and they are already sideling cars instead of sending them to coney to increase their spares.

Edit just saw that a set of 6000s were sent to coney.

Edited by R32 3838

2 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Extra security is being place at ALL (N), (Q) & (W) stations for any person or persons of interest who dare to smash windows again. It’s $500 fine & 1 year in jail.

Ye goode olde reactive decisions! Put security on the Broadway stations because (N), (Q), and (W) trains were smashed. They’d never think to trek a block over to 6 Avenue or Lexington Avenue to wreak havoc. :rolleyes:

Next thing you know, (A), (B), (C), (D), and—gasp—even (E) and (G) trains get their windows smashed in. Nobody would ever see that coming. All the data points (1 data point actually) show they only vandalize the yellow bullet trains. (/s)

32 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

60 is tight but they can get away with it since the R211s are brand new and wouldn't need a high spare factor. I just estimated that 80 would be needed to fill the void of the R32s.

This is why this agency is really retarded. They shouldn't retire anything until they have more than enough cars to cover for the lack of spares. I'm not surprised at all since all the A-A cars were already sidelined for just about a month. They still don't learn their lesson during the retirements of past fleets. If they just sideline cars in storage as back ups like they did with the R32s in 2021 then that wouldn't be an issue.

CI desperately need more cars and they are already sideling cars instead of sending them to coney to increase their spares.

Last week I did happen to see a 59xx set on the Nancy.

46 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

4 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

Oh. well, I'm even surprised the 46s started retirement. It's kinda awkward for me. I thought they would retire starting in November or December...

2 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Oh. well, I'm even surprised the 46s started retirement. It's kinda awkward for me. I thought they would retire starting in November or December...

This wouldn't be a big deal if congestion pricing was off the table since option I is already paid for meaning they can retire the whole R46s fleet with no issue. Plus the lack of spares at CI and concourse yard (they have spares but it's a very low amount). But they are pushing for congestion pricing to start early next year which is a big mistake since they aren't ready for it.

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Ever since the (A) has more R211 sets in-service this month, to add-on, those AA pairs are not seen that often. Maybe if it's just me but I remember on some R46s at Fulton St, you'll see 1 out of the rest of the 46s with a 4-car with a 2 AA pairs in-service. Or that the (MTA) kept that in-mind not to use the rest of the AA set when it reaches said train #. The last time a AA pair was seen or recorded in video was last month, early August 2023. 

Yeah that's not true. Rode an AA pair on the (A) this past Wednesday 

Edited by Daniel The Cool

11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

First off, don’t use that word.

second, as I keep saying but no one seems to want to listen, the staffing shortage is still worse than the car shortage. Hell, they’re still short me for another week, I’m still on Grand Jury duty. 

and third, parts for the 46s are becoming too scarce. There is a point where keeping the class running means sacrificing some of them to retirement for their important components and it seems we have reached that point.

plus i… I have to admit… something about having them on my train bothered me.

also there have been a few times where CR/s (not me) have started setting up in the wrong cab because they weren’t paying attention.

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

First off, don’t use that word.

second, as I keep saying but no one seems to want to listen, the staffing shortage is still worse than the car shortage. Hell, they’re still short me for another week, I’m still on Grand Jury duty. 

and third, parts for the 46s are becoming too scarce. There is a point where keeping the class running means sacrificing some of them to retirement for their important components and it seems we have reached that point.

plus i… I have to admit… something about having them on my train bothered me.

also there have been a few times where CR/s (not me) have started setting up in the wrong cab because they weren’t paying attention.

I get the parts issue but (MTA) should have been more prepared. I'm going to get on their ass on everything since they are trying to brute force congestion pricing knowing they aren't ready due to the crew shortages and equipment shortages. They can't afford to have another car shortage because if they do again in the future even with available crews by then, it would be a big problem. It's better to be safe than sorry.

If congestion pricing wasn't being pushed so much, They could have been started retiring the R46s since option order I is already paid for which would not only retire the entire R46 fleet, but would also give NYCT a surplus of cars.

People including the workers gotta understand that (MTA) is the biggest problem right now and their flaws are starting to show way more than in the past due to social media and etc. People are going to go ham esp when they are trying to force people to take mass transit because they always somehow run out of money while wasting it on useless shit at 2 broadway.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I get the parts issue but (MTA) should have been more prepared. I'm going to get on their ass on everything since they are trying to brute force congestion pricing knowing they aren't ready due to the crew shortages and equipment shortages. They can't afford to have another car shortage because if they do again in the future even with available crews by then, it would be a big problem. It's better to be safe than sorry.

If congestion pricing wasn't being pushed so much, They could have been started retiring the R46s since option order I is already paid for which would not only retire the entire R46 fleet, but would also give NYCT a surplus of cars.

People including the workers gotta understand that (MTA) is the biggest problem right now and their flaws are starting to show way more than in the past due to social media and etc. People are going to go ham esp when they are trying to force people to take mass transit because they always somehow run out of money while wasting it on useless shit at 2 broadway.

Look the LIRR and the East side access, they went oh we know we don’t have enough trains when this opens but we have to opening anyway. (Sorry for going off topic in the R211 sub)  

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Let's not forget that we have a federal government, especially in Congress, who have a hard time understanding that driving is NOT for everyone and they refuse to invest in more public transportation.

Is there a US city that has better public transportation than the MTA??

As for the r211's, the MTA better purchase option order 2 if they really want to avoid big headaches in the long term.

17 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The MTA has the equipment plus the right of way to allow the M train to be extended to Rockaway Park.

Dream on. It ain’t gonna happen. 🙄

And anyway, good to know that the R211 order is moving along carefully. I know it’ll take a while though but hey. Definitely won’t miss the R46s when they finally do retire at long last.

Edited by Jemorie

10 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Why is everyone happy that the 46s are gonna retire? What did they do to you to think that?

Theyre old, unreliable and break down often, and most of the ones in service either have a dead motor, bad brakes, or both. a few weeks ago they took a r46 N out of service at ditmars because it had 3 dead motors in a row in the front of the train and every time it would brake the damn thing would lunge forward, im surprised they even made it to ditmars

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Let's not forget that we have a federal government, especially in Congress, who have a hard time understanding that driving is NOT for everyone and they refuse to invest in more public transportation.

Is there a US city that has better public transportation than the MTA??

As for the r211's, the MTA better purchase option order 2 if they really want to avoid big headaches in the long term.

There is 👎 city in the 🇺🇸 that can outwit the (MTA) none! 

(SEPTA)‘s MFL M-4s are wearing out and they’re 26 years old. They need new cars for them and extra trains on the Broad St Line. 

WMATA’s Metrorail had their issues with their 7000 series subway cars and the system’s accident prone. 

CTA & MBTA has issues with CRRC. 

maybe small town buses are ranked better, except they operate every 60 minutes. 

just be patient & wait, because 💰 doesn’t grow on 🌳