B9 daytime service to Kings Plaza

BlazingCyndaquil155

I went to Flatbush/Kings Hwy to catch the B41 or Q35 one morning, and I noticed the B9 heading the other way to the mall... except it had like ~1 person. Is it necessary to run the B9 to Kings Plaza outside of peak-direction hours and weekends?

I see other local buses with only a handful of people on them.  Is it necessary to run those buses?   <_<

I see other local buses with only a handful of people on them.  Is it necessary to run those buses?   <_<

Those routes don't have other options. That one rider on that B9 could have easily fit on another B41 or Q35 that was behind it. Hell, even after school I rode the B9 all the way and only like 5 people got to the mall.

Those routes don't have other options. That one rider on that B9 could have easily fit on another B41 or Q35 that was behind it. Hell, even after school I rode the B9 all the way and only like 5 people got to the mall.

I see someone doesn't get sarcasm...  <_< This is precisely why ridership on buses continues to fall.  Anytime we see a bus with a few people on it, that must mean that it needs to be cut so that people can pile on to another bus and be inconvenienced.  God forbid people have room to sit down on a bus and relax.  

There could've been another B9 a few minutes before or after that, which could have been more crowded. Either way, you can't fit anymore riders on the B41, and the Q35 serves select stops along Flatbush. Buses used to terminate at Flatbush/ Avenue L, but was extended to due rider demand. Also, just because one bus is empty, doesnt mean all buses are empty.

I see someone doesn't get sarcasm...  <_< This is precisely why ridership on buses continues to fall.  Anytime we see a bus with a few people on it, that must mean that it needs to be cut so that people can pile on to another bus and be inconvenienced.  God forbid people have room to sit down on a bus and relax.  

I didn't say to shut down the B9 south of Flatbush/L. I said maybe decrease or eliminate it during morning rush-hours/middays. There's a reason they don't run it south of FB/L late nights. :P Either way, I'll look at more B9's on morning hours and see from there.

There could've been another B9 a few minutes before or after that, which could have been more crowded. Either way, you can't fit anymore riders on the B41, and the Q35 serves select stops along Flatbush. Buses used to terminate at Flatbush/ Avenue L, but was extended to due rider demand. Also, just because one bus is empty, doesnt mean all buses are empty.

I have a proposal of making the Q35 local during late nights, and when did the B9 start serving Flatbush?

That is usually the case with the B9.  They tend to run in twos along Avenue L and Avenue M.  As a former Midwood resident, I used the B9 or the B2 when I went to Kings Plaza and the B9 was never packed coming from Kings Plaza, nor was the B2, but that's precisely why I used those two lines in addition to them being convenient.  I would've certainly have frequented the area a lot less if I had to transfer from another bus to get the B9.

I didn't say to shut down the B9 south of Flatbush/L. I said maybe decrease or eliminate it during morning rush-hours/middays. There's a reason they don't run it south of FB/L late nights.  :P Either way, I'll look at more B9's on morning hours and see from there.

I have a proposal of making the Q35 local during late nights, and when did the B9 start serving Flatbush?

If you're going to decrease or eliminate it for that long of a period, then what's the point of even running it at all?   <_<

I suppose it never dawned on you that some people may actually depend on the line to get to work in that area or for other things.  I will admit that areas like Midwood will not have tons of people packing the B9 to go to Kings Plaza, but that doesn't mean that the service isn't needed.  

There are parts of Midwood that are quite affluent, particularly along parts of Avenue K where there are mainly families living in houses, so those people would be driving for the most part, but for people that work in Kings Plaza and commute from other places, the B9 connects to the (Q) so that would give them another option of getting there.

There are parts of Midwood that are quite affluent, particularly along parts of Avenue K where there are mainly families living in houses, so those people would be driving for the most part, but for people that work in Kings Plaza and commute from other places, the B9 connects to the (Q) so that would give them another option of getting there.

Oh, forgot to mention, I meant that the B9 would run to Bay Ridge mornings, just not to the mall(the 9 is mad crowded westbound mornings...). The B9 would run full time otherwise bar late nights(which should run Bay Ridge service since no other line goes there).

I didn't say to shut down the B9 south of Flatbush/L. I said maybe decrease or eliminate it during morning rush-hours/middays. There's a reason they don't run it south of FB/L late nights. :P Either way, I'll look at more B9's on morning hours and see from there.

He meant Flatbush Avenue and Avenue L...

I didn't say to shut down the B9 south of Flatbush/L. I said maybe decrease or eliminate it during morning rush-hours/middays. There's a reason they don't run it south of FB/L late nights. :P Either way, I'll look at more B9's on morning hours and see from there.

It doesn't run late nights to begin with.

The return of the B71 route is still pending.

The B71 is going to be an uphill battle.  The (MTA) doesn't want it back, but several communities do want it back, and unanimously voted that the B71 restoration was the #1 priority to tackle.  

A campaign to revive a defunct bus service between the Columbia Street Waterfront District and Crown Heights is motoring ahead now that local pols, civic leaders, and hundreds of straphangers have jumped on the bandwagon to demand Metropolitan Transit Service restore a route they say is sorely missed.

“The elimination of this line shows that the MTA is out of touch with the transit needs of this community, and I refuse to stand idly by as my constituents struggle to go about their day-to-day activities,” said Assemblywoman Jo Anne Simon (D–Cobble Hill) at a press conference last Tuesday calling for the return of the B71 bus that ran along Union Street and Eastern Parkway until 2010.

Joining Simon was Borough President Adams, state senators Velmanette Montgomery (D–Crown Heights), Daniel Squadron (D–Carroll Gardens), and Jesse Hamilton (D–Park Slope), and Councilman Brad Lander (D–Gowanus) — who launched an online petition demanding the transit authority bring the bus back on Oct. 10, and has already garnered more than 1,200 signatures.

The elected officials all announced their commitment to restoring the bus service after neighborhood group the Park Slope Civic Council launched a campaign to get the bus rolling again earlier this month.

The group’s proposal would extend the defunct bus line to the bottom of Brooklyn Bridge Park at one end and the Brooklyn Children’s Museum at the other, expand its hours to 11:30 pm at night, and redraw the route to avoid traffic jams that plagues the old service.

The Metropolitan Transit Authority killed the service five years ago amidst budget cuts, but now that Mayor DeBlasio and Gov. Cuomo have finally worked out a deal to fund $26 billion of the transit body’s capital budget, the B71 campaign is the perfect opportunity to make sure Brooklyn gets its fair share of the dough, said Adams.

“The recent agreement between the City and State on funding for the MTA’s capital budget makes this the right time to urge for the restoration of the B71,” said the Beep. “With our borough sharing the cost for this unprecedented contribution to our mass transit system, we must ensure that our ridership benefits equitably from this investment.”

The Slope civic association is now calling on Councilwoman Laurie Cumbo (D–Prospect Heights) and Assemblyman Walter Mosely (D–Prospect Heights) to add their voices to the chorus, said Michael Cairl, the groups’s point man for the issue.

And a bit further down the line, Cairl is also hoping Community Board 6 — which serves Cobble Hill, Gowanus, and Park Slope — and Community Board 8 — which encompasses Prospect Heights and Crown Heights — will give their endorsements and host meetings with the transit body.

At least one Community Board 8 member doesn’t think that will be a problem.

“Personally, I have no doubt that both our committee and board will support the concept of a revitalized B71 without reservation,” said Rob Witherwax, vice-chair of Community Board 8’s transportation committee.

Source: http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/38/43/dtg-b71-bus-update-2015-10-23-bk.html

There is no point in restoring most of those cuts...

Completely disagree.

The B71 is going to be an uphill battle.  The (MTA) doesn't want it back, but several communities do want it back, and unanimously voted that the B71 restoration was the #1 priority to tackle.  

Source: http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/38/43/dtg-b71-bus-update-2015-10-23-bk.html

Completely disagree.

Which ones do you want? I personally think the B71 should come back...

Maybe the B71 could be restored if resources weren't going to making the Q35 run every 30 minutes in the middle of the night.

You do realize that the Q35 is a MTA Bus route, which means it has a totally different funding source. That's not even ignoring that fact that it's another way for the Far Rockaway residents to get to a subway. Residents who by the way have some of the shittiest commutes in the city. My god, please take some time to learn the system before making some of these asinine statements.

Archived