Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

But we don't want East Midtown or Brooklyn, we want Midtown/ West Midtown

That's what the (M) is for but i see where you coming from

I guess you can go wild but NOOO MY (7)! :(

Edit: Actually, you aren't supposed to go wild. Has to be realistic. ;)

That could work whenever the country's economy gets better.

I knew there had to be some realistic values to this. I'll scrap that all together, I'm thinking of something else

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone ever thought of fare zones? One being Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. Then Uptown and South Bronx (after 125th). The rest of the Bronx past 180th would be another zone. Now Queens would be a zone and so would Eastern Queens (past Woodhaven/Junction Blvd). Finally the rest of Brooklyn.

Prices:

Thru a single zone: $1.50

Thru two zones: $2.50

Thru three zones: $3.25

Thru four zones: $4

Thru more than four zones: $5

It'll never fly. That would mean most riders from the Bronx and Eastern Queens would be paying over $3 per trip to get to and from Midtown since they'd fall in that three zones traveled trip. You've also created the scenario where riders in poorer sections of the city are paying more than the richest parts of the city.

I guess my imagination can go wild since this is only a proposal

Convert the Flushing Line from Queensboro Plaza to Flushing back to the B division and have the (R) run from Flushing to Bay Ridge-95th St and convert the Flushing Line from Hudson Yards to Queensboro Plaza to the PATH via a new PATH line.

No more (7) train unfortunately but this free's up space for another QBL service like the (G) or a future Second Ave Line, the (R) would have a AM/PM rush hour express <R> Flushing service, and there's a one seat ride to Penn Station, GCT and to Queens for Jersey riders/commuters.

You still need another set of crossovers for the lower level platform and restrict trains on the flushing line to 60' car trains as well as shaving back all the platforms (and maybe lengthening them to hold a 600' train). That said, it isn't that far off the deep end, but very unlikely especially if all the traffic is sent over to broadway. Another issue with the flushing b division idea is you take away a direct queens blvd line transfer to 59th lex and giving qb a local that they don't need or want in the G. M is a short train as it is, G is even shorter. You need a broadway line running on qb. Ideally if they could rebuild qbp, the 7 should switch with the N/Q and go up to astoria with the N/Q via flushing. But again unlikely.

As for taking the other end of the 7 line and making it a path, i really doubt it especially the whole inter agency mess on how to deal with the transfers to the mta lines. You may as well just make it a shuttle using the existing trains it runs. Also iirc, the path cars are a little wider than the irt cars, so they might not fit in the steinway tunnels.

Edited by Grand Concourse

It'll never fly. That would mean most riders from the Bronx and Eastern Queens would be paying over $3 per trip to get to and from Midtown since they'd fall in that three zones traveled trip. You've also created the scenario where riders in poorer sections of the city are paying more than the richest parts of the city.

It's really only fair. Manhattan riders pay the same for a four minute ride as Jamaica riders do for a half-hour ride. The MTA makes a ton of money off of the Manhattan rider, but the Jamaica rider they lose money on. It happens in other cities as well, I don't see why it can't happen here. $4 for a 30 minute ride isn't that bad.

3491877_orig.png

This is my proposal for Rockefeller Center. It makes it easier for local and express. Comment on it.

Your diagram is unreadable. What's over, what's under, and what is connected to what?

Typically, dotted lines indicate tracks on a second level. The same goes for gray-out platforms as well. To show that a track serves two different trunk lines, two different-colored lines are drawn in parallel, without any gap in between.

I'm pretty sure this is what he really means:

3491877_orig_zps2003de63.png

It's the same thing as there is now though. We have cross-platform transfers, and a mezzanine in the station. No benefit, except for a direct connection from the local tracks to CPW, but trains can just cross over between 34th and 42nd.  

It's really only fair. Manhattan riders pay the same for a four minute ride as Jamaica riders do for a half-hour ride. The MTA makes a ton of money off of the Manhattan rider, but the Jamaica rider they lose money on. It happens in other cities as well, I don't see why it can't happen here. $4 for a 30 minute ride isn't that bad.

The subway has always made money. In fact, what the city should be doing is charging more for Manhattan riders, since they take up valuable space just going two or three stops when that space is needed for people who ride all the way.

If we have a zone fare system, we should do it based on borough, with both an entry and exit fare.

Outer boroughs: $1

Manhattan: $2

Another proposal of mine (based of my own line!)

Line Name

<1> Hamilton Express

Purpose

Super express

Service

Rush hours only (AM to South Ferry, PM from South Ferry. It's going to use the middle tracks at the following: 96th Street to 168th Street; Dyckman Street to Van Cortlandt Park-242nd Street) It will also run on the 7th Avenue express track from 96th Street to Chambers Street. 7 trains every 5 minutes during each rush hour everyday.

Stations

Van Cortlandt Park-242nd Street 

181st Street 

168th Street-Washington Heights 

96th Street 

72nd Street 

Times Square 42nd Street 

34th Street-Penn Station 

14th Street 

Chambers Street  

South Ferry-Whitehall Street 

Subway Cars It Will Be Using

R62A

Selected R142s or R142As'

The subway has always made money. In fact, what the city should be doing is charging more for Manhattan riders, since they take up valuable space just going two or three stops when that space is needed for people who ride all the way.

If we have a zone fare system, we should do it based on borough, with both an entry and exit fare.

Outer boroughs: $1

Manhattan: $2

Makes no sense in my opinion. The MTA still pays a lot more for the Jamaica rider rather than the Manhattan rider.

I guess my imagination can go wild since this is only a proposal

Convert the Flushing Line from Queensboro Plaza to Flushing back to the B division and have the (R) run from Flushing to Bay Ridge-95th St and convert the Flushing Line from Hudson Yards to Queensboro Plaza to the PATH via a new PATH line. 

No more (7) train unfortunately but this free's up space for another QBL service like the (G) or a future Second Ave Line, the (R) would have a AM/PM rush hour express <R> Flushing service, and there's a one seat ride to Penn Station, GCT and to Queens for Jersey riders/commuters.

As a former and possibly future (7) rider, I've always wanted larger cars on the (7) to deal with its big crowds. But if the (R) was rerouted onto the Flushing Line, it would run less frequently than the current 7 service because it would still have to share tracks with the (N) and (Q). You'd get longer, larger trains, but less frequently. That's not really a good trade-off.

I suggested having 60-foot A-Division cars on the 7 as a possible compromise. They'd still be narrower than B-Division cars, but they'd have the same number of side doors as the trains on the lettered lines. So a 9-car train of 60-footers would be shorter than an 11-car train of 51-footers (540 ft vs 561 ft), but it would have more side doors (36 vs 33).

But now that they've already ordered new 51-foot R188 cars and they're retrofitting R142A cars with CBTC/ATO, it's too late to do that. There's also the issue of these 400 or so 60-foot IRT cars being oddballs because they would be unable to run on any other line.

Makes no sense in my opinion. The MTA still pays a lot more for the Jamaica rider rather than the Manhattan rider.

The Jamaica rider ends up paying $3. The Manhattan rider pays $2.

It makes no sense that the MTA should be incentivizing three-stop travel in Manhattan when the core network is at capacity and Manhattan riders can take a bike or use a plethora of other options instead of taking up space that is needed by outer borough commuters. In fact, it makes no sense that we're considering zoned fares on the subway at all, since the subway already makes money and cross-subsidizes the SIR and bus system.

As a former and possibly future (7) rider, I've always wanted larger cars on the (7) to deal with its big crowds. But if the (R) was rerouted onto the Flushing Line, it would run less frequently than the current 7 service because it would still have to share tracks with the (N) and (Q). You'd get longer, larger trains, but less frequently. That's not really a good trade-off.

I suggested having 60-foot A-Division cars on the 7 as a possible compromise. They'd still be narrower than B-Division cars, but they'd have the same number of side doors as the trains on the lettered lines. So a 9-car train of 60-footers would be shorter than an 11-car train of 51-footers (540 ft vs 561 ft), but it would have more side doors (36 vs 33).

But now that they've already ordered new 51-foot R188 cars and they're retrofitting R142A cars with CBTC/ATO, it's too late to do that. There's also the issue of these 400 or so 60-foot IRT cars being oddballs because they would be unable to run on any other line.

Yeah the (R) would solely have to operate down 59th St and Broadway local to keep the same headways down Flushing as the (7) correct me if i'm wrong. But is it me or the Broadway Line lacks northbound outflow; it's just the soon to be (Q) up Second Ave (TBH the (N) up 2nd Ave makes sense) and the (N)(R)(W) up 59th St.

After 57th St 1) the local tracks tie in with CPW local or express tracks but of course the (B) wouldn't run up CPW anymore or 2) connect the Broadway local tracks with the express tracks up Second Ave.. but that's if SAS Phase 3 and 4 isn't built

Now what, where, and why is the (7) coming from Nassau Street??? It would be better just to even send it to New Jersey. Also that proposal puts delays on the (1)(4)(5) and this new (8) train. It would back EVERYTHING up.

I'm not sure there is even room for the kind of tunnel he's suggesting.

A few questions pop to mind. First and foremost is why. Why is the (7) line somehow connected to the Nassau Street line? Why is there a line using the inner loop at South Ferry? Why is the (1) using both the loop platform and the island platform? The second of course is how. How on earth does the Flushing line connect to Nassau Street? That's a big how by the way. Unless the line branches off before hitting the west side, it would have to swing around and dip below several subway lines, the number of which obviously depends on where, to have this direct Nassau connection you've posted.

It's not connected directly to the Nassu line, the (7) just uses the unused (J)(Z) tracks, then breaks away from that line and goes to Brooklyn. The <1> stops at the terminal , and the (1) stops at South Ferry Loop. The (8) was from an old track map, I did not mean to include that in there.

Alright, how bout this proposal?

detail-soferry_zps4e837a53.png

I'm sorry, but seriously this is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen!

Bless the person who consolidated all the fantasy threads into one!

It's not connected directly to the Nassu line, the (7) just uses the unused (J)(Z) tracks, then breaks away from that line and goes to Brooklyn. The <1> stops at the terminal , and the (1) stops at South Ferry Loop. The (8) was from an old track map, I did not mean to include that in there.

how does the 7 get to Lower manhattan? There are no unused JZ tracks in that area. There are only two tracks there. You could mean the spur tracks from Bowery to Canal?

Edited by Union Tpke