Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

You know, I want to know why the (MTA) is wasting their time designing the R211's for the SIR when honestly, a new train isnt needed on the SIR. You only have 1 route, so making a NTT train for it is ridiculous

So this is what I propose, when the R179's come, 6 or 8 R46's get sent down to the SIR, with a few improvements:

New Strip Maps designating SIR Express/Local Service:

Upgraded interior signs

Automated Announcments

An LED at the front of the car displaying what train it is.

Designing a car specifically for SIR is ridiculous. But having SIR's cars be part of the next B Division car order with some modifications is not.

Not to mention it's really not worth it to modify "6 or 8" R46 cars with the technologies you're suggesting. SIR's service requirements warrant a lot more than that, even off peak. And those R46 car bodies won't last forever. They'll have to be replaced eventually. Might as well do it with the next large subway car order.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elevate it along the ROW.

The line isn't consistently elevated or sunken, so you'd need to weave around all the stuff the current line already does. There's also nowhere on the ROW to put elevated line supports, and it'd be just as unpopular as taking property to extend the (7), if not more unpopular. The entire point of doing it the way I have it is so that it's cheap as possible.

Bringing this over from the Random Thoughts thread:

It likely is an old map that was used for this.  Myself, I would have the  (L) go up 10th Avenue instead of 11th and run this way:

Diagonally (northwest/southeast) between 14th/8th and 20th Street/10th Avenue.  From there, the line would be three tracks like this:

23rd Street (express with two island platforms, can be used as a short-turn terminal).
31st-33rd Street (express with two island platforms).
41st Street (express with two island platforms), transfer to  (7) if the 10th/41st station on that line is ever built
49th-50th Street (local with two side platforms)

58th Street-Roosevelt Hospital (local with two side platforms)

66th Street-Lincoln Center (local with two side platforms)
72nd Street-Broadway (terminal with provisions to continue further north in the future, transfer to  (1)  (2)  (3) ) with an additional exit at 74th Street and Amsterdam Avenue

That to me would work.

Edited by Wallyhorse

Just an idea for changing the Brighton Beach terminal to reduce passenger confusion. One island platform would be used for termination, and the other for through trains. The drawbacks, though, are the amount of switching and the fact that a new switches may need to be installed East of Ocean Pkwy on the Q.

http://imgur.com/gallery/cq0Rkxo

Just an idea for changing the Brighton Beach terminal to reduce passenger confusion. One island platform would be used for termination, and the other for through trains. The drawbacks, though, are the amount of switching and the fact that a new switches may need to be installed East of Ocean Pkwy on the Q.

http://imgur.com/gallery/cq0Rkxo

This set up is gonna mess up the uptown (Q), not to mention that the (B) trains would have to wait for every other uptown (Q) to pass Brighton just for it to use it's terminal. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

This set up is gonna mess up the uptown (Q), not to mention that the (B) trains would have to wait for every other uptown (Q) to pass Brighton just for it to use it's terminal.

Would it be possible to streamline that design? Also, if the Brighton line got CBTC, would it be any more feasible?

I have a proposal for the (T)

The (T) would start at Norwood-205 Street, go through Concourse, at 167 Street, a new tunnel will be made for 3rd Avenue stopping at 161st Street, 149 Street (connect to (2)(5)), 125th Street-Second Avenue. Then after Grand Street, (T) train will go to Canal Street (uptown stops on the Abandoned platform) then thru Broad Street, via Montague Street Tunnel, 4th Avenue Local, to 9th Avenue. Late nights to Chambers Street. Trains would use R160's in 8 car sets(cause everyone knows the R179s won't come anytime soon :P )

The (T) would start at Norwood-205 Street, go through Concourse, at 167 Street, a new tunnel will be made for 3rd Avenue stopping at 161st Street, 149 Street (connect to (2)(5)), 125th Street-Second Avenue. Then after Grand Street, (T) train will go to Canal Street (uptown stops on the Abandoned platform) then thru Broad Street, via Montague Street Tunnel, 4th Avenue Local, to 9th Avenue. Late nights to Chambers Street. Trains would use R160's in 8 car sets(cause everyone knows the R179s won't come anytime soon :P )

IMO they should just keep it simple and stick to the original plan I doubt that they would have enough trains to make that possible either and if the purpose of the (T) is to relieve the congestion off of Lexington than it will have to use more than 8 cars. Also what Chambers St station are you talking about exactly?

Edited by R3216068E

The (T) would start at Norwood-205 Street, go through Concourse, at 167 Street, a new tunnel will be made for 3rd Avenue stopping at 161st Street, 149 Street (connect to (2)(5)), 125th Street-Second Avenue. Then after Grand Street, (T) train will go to Canal Street (uptown stops on the Abandoned platform) then thru Broad Street, via Montague Street Tunnel, 4th Avenue Local, to 9th Avenue. Late nights to Chambers Street. Trains would use R160's in 8 car sets(cause everyone knows the R179s won't come anytime soon :P )

This is somewhat similar to what I previously proposed for the Brooklyn end.. In my case, for the Brooklyn end, this could be done as a new, full-time (Z) train that runs to 9th Avenue.  It would be done where the abandoned platforms at Canal Street and Bowery would be reopened with the (J) coming in on the inner "express" tracks at those stations (and terminate full-time at Chambers Street) while the (Z) would come in on the outer "local" tracks at Canal Street and would stop at Chambers as well as Fulton and Broad Streets at all times before continuing to Brooklyn.  Such connection to the SAS would also (if possible) have a connection from the Willy B to send a line up 2nd Avenue if warranted (or it be there if re-routes are necessary)..  

For the uptown/Bronx end. I would do that by having the line continue across 125th Street to St. Nicholas Avenue and then join the Concourse line there (most likely using the center track between 125 and 135 (skipping 135) to join and then go to the local or center express track depending on whether or not the (B) is running there.  This most likely would be a (Q) extension to Bedford Park Boulevard or 205 in the Bronx with the (T) and (Z) possibly also running that way but terminating before there (most likely making a St. Nicholas Avenue stop at 125 a three-track station to accommodate short-turns there).

The Brooklyhn extension for the (T) I would do as noted before would be via a new Schermerhorn Street tunnel to Euclid Avenue, connecting to the existing Transit Museum stop (with Court Street reactivated and the TM moved elsewhere) and allowing the (A) and (C) to both run express on Fulton while the (T) runs local.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/23/nyregion/mayor-de-blasio-revives-plan-for-a-utica-avenue-subway-line.html

Bill DeBlasio had a plan to build a subway under Utica Avenue extending all the way to Avenue U – Kings Plaza, which would be served by 4 trains. To me, it is not economically feasible because a subway line under Utica Avenue would cost much more than extending an already-built subway line (the line would contain at least eight subway stations, and it will not do much to reduce traffic congestion on Flatbush Avenue). Instead, the Nostrand Avenue Line should be extended from its present terminus at Flatbush Avenue – Brooklyn College to Avenue U – Kings Plaza, with two intermediate stations (that extension, which would be served by 2 and 5 trains, would greatly reduce Flatbush Avenue's traffic congestion). 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/23/nyregion/mayor-de-blasio-revives-plan-for-a-utica-avenue-subway-line.html

Bill DeBlasio had a plan to build a subway under Utica Avenue extending all the way to Avenue U – Kings Plaza, which would be served by 4 trains. To me, it is not economically feasible because a subway line under Utica Avenue would cost much more than extending an already-built subway line (the line would contain at least eight subway stations, and it will not do much to reduce traffic congestion on Flatbush Avenue). Instead, the Nostrand Avenue Line should be extended from its present terminus at Flatbush Avenue – Brooklyn College to Avenue U – Kings Plaza, with two intermediate stations (that extension, which would be served by 2 and 5 trains, would greatly reduce Flatbush Avenue's traffic congestion). 

If you extend Nostrand south, you cover neither Nostrand or Utica, so you get this weird half-solution because you still need a bus running up and down Utica, a bus running up and down Nostrand, and a bus running up and down Flatbush. Plus, the MTA had decided to do that at one point, until it realized that in the context of the greater transportation network that it was suboptimal, and switched back to the Nostrand/Utica Line proposals in the '70s.

It sounds like more people who live along the BMT Myrtle Avenue Line tend to prefer Midtown Manhattan over Lower Manhattan, hence why the current (M) service is very popular. That's why I'm suggesting to switch the weekday peak directional service by having the (M) run express and the (J)(Z) run local. With that in mind, (M) passengers can have a faster trip to Midtown Manhattan. What do you think?

I have decided that my expansion plans for the New York City Subway need another major revision. The 1st Avenue Trunk Line will be reduced to 4-Tracks (from 6-Tracks) and hold 4 services. The Concourse Connection will no longer connect to the 3rd Avenue-1st Avenue Trunk in The Bronx. Instead, it will head downtown as it's own line via 5th Avenue as an all local, but with stop spacing similar to the current plans for the Second Avenue Subway. This is to provide an alternate route to the Concourse Line and thus relieve the (D) service of its crowding. The 10th Avenue Line will retain its current setup for now, though I am beginning to devise a way for the line to remain as 4-Tracks below 57th Street and send 2-Tracks to Brooklyn. This will also mean a revision to the Bushwick-Pennsylvania Line which would run to Starrett City from Myrtle and Bushwick Avenues. It would be reduced from 4-Tracks to two. More changes may come as this new plan develops.

I am also thinking that that either the 1st Avenue Line be moved to Third Avenue or Shift to Second Avenue below 63rd Street. I really like 1st Avenue though because it provides the most direct route downtown. Taking two tracks from the 1st Avenue Line and moving them to 5th means another line somewhere in The Bronx. I never expected a v5 of the plan to be created, but I look forward to what I come up with.

The first of my revised lines. The 5th Avenue Line is two tracks wide and from it's connection with the Concourse (D) to the WTC, is exactly 10 Miles with 22 stations. It will be the only one of the new lines to be built with Tunnel Boring Machines as 5th Avenue is one of the streets with the most congestion which makes Cut-and-Cover impossible. Therefore, it would be the most expensive as well. I haven't decided on a color yet, but Pink is a large candidate in my book. Keeping it black would be the other if I didn't plan on using that for the Light Rail lines in the outer boroughs. This line would be serviced by the H route. It would run from Bedford Park Boulevard to the World Trade Center. This line would provide an alternate route to Midtown from the Concourse Line and therefore reduce crowding. Another line from the East Bronx would connect with this one, though it's exact routing has not been specified yet. A more detailed map will come out when I finish the grand scheme.

IgMaz2n.png

bDcrcKt.png

0yJBXBb.png

CTiTTXF.png

sFW8iFR.png

zU00Y9m.png

Feedback is welcomed. The next extension would be the extension of the (7) from Hudson Yards south to 23rd Street, then East to the FDR to provide another crosstown route and connect with the 1st Avenue Line.

The first of my revised lines. The 5th Avenue Line is two tracks wide and from it's connection with the Concourse (D) to the WTC, is exactly 10 Miles with 22 stations. It will be the only one of the new lines to be built with Tunnel Boring Machines as 5th Avenue is one of the streets with the most congestion which makes Cut-and-Cover impossible. Therefore, it would be the most expensive as well. I haven't decided on a color yet, but Pink is a large candidate in my book. Keeping it black would be the other if I didn't plan on using that for the Light Rail lines in the outer boroughs. This line would be serviced by the H route. It would run from Bedford Park Boulevard to the World Trade Center. This line would provide an alternate route to Midtown from the Concourse Line and therefore reduce crowding. Another line from the East Bronx would connect with this one, though it's exact routing has not been specified yet. A more detailed map will come out when I finish the grand scheme.

IgMaz2n.png

bDcrcKt.png

0yJBXBb.png

CTiTTXF.png

sFW8iFR.png

zU00Y9m.png

Feedback is welcomed. The next extension would be the extension of the (7) from Hudson Yards south to 23rd Street, then East to the FDR to provide another crosstown route and connect with the 1st Avenue Line.

Fifth Avenue doesn't need a subway...

This is large expansion for the future. Originally, the 1st Avenue line was 6-Tracks. In order to reduce complexity of a specific junction in the Lower East Side, I took away two tracks and moved it to 5th Avenue. As a result, Concourse Connection and South Bronx Line Locals are rerouted along the new line. And I've ridden buses along 5th Avenue. One would do quite well to not only reduce traffic along the corridor, but better distribute passengers in the Midtown area. This is why it is all local. I've already taken into account why it's not really needed right now. But in the future, things could be completely different.

Providing accessibility, room for more development, and reducing traffic congestion.