LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

Just applied to AC.  Last year I got accepted to the S&D Test for Loco Engineer and I failed. I know I got the 100% on the Aspects but the definitions is where I knew I lost it. I have a much greater foundation and know what is expected of me on this test. I saw the ACs take the S&D test. Are the passing requirements the same as engineers? I am going to study as if 100% and 100% are required, but I was so disheartened after failing the first time I have a bit of hesitation. It is a job I have wanted for a while now and am doing my best to prepare myself and put myself in a position to succeed. I dont want to know the requirements to be lazy, but to be prepared. I plan on busting my ass to work hard for this position. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/22/2019 at 2:20 PM, MattyCass89 said:

Just applied to AC.  Last year I got accepted to the S&D Test for Loco Engineer and I failed. I know I got the 100% on the Aspects but the definitions is where I knew I lost it. I have a much greater foundation and know what is expected of me on this test. I saw the ACs take the S&D test. Are the passing requirements the same as engineers? I am going to study as if 100% and 100% are required, but I was so disheartened after failing the first time I have a bit of hesitation. It is a job I have wanted for a while now and am doing my best to prepare myself and put myself in a position to succeed. I dont want to know the requirements to be lazy, but to be prepared. I plan on busting my ass to work hard for this position. 

Should be the same passing requirements, yes. 100% on aspects and at least 80% on indications & definitions. You absolutely need to shoot for 100% to have a shot at passing.

On 3/19/2019 at 10:06 PM, Ador said:

Can anyone offer some advice on applying for the position being that most of you on this forum have had success. I see they just posted a new opening LIRR Assistant Cond. on the MTA career website. I have applied for this position before but have not had success. Did you include an cover letter with your resume or just the resume.  Does it help at all if you are a current MTA employee (currently I am with MTA NYCT and looking to get into the LIRR). I am trying to see if there is anything I can do to increase the chance of getting a call. Thanks any advice or help is appreciated. ! 

I only included a resume, no cover letter. You want to make sure your resume emphasizes your previous customer service experience and cash handling experience. Being current NYCT might actually not be a positive in the eyes of the railroad...I honestly don't know a single conductor who previously worked for transit. I know of one conductor that was previously a bus driver for MTA. 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:40 PM, Mikey23 said:

This is very discouraging, my class is made up of a bunch of donkeys. We already had one person fail the book of rules test and now we are right in the middle of air breaks. One girl in the class literally broke down and was crying her eyes out over air brakes. I have never seen so many grown men so scared as these guys in this class. We do go out and look at all the stuff on all the different types of trains and i am at the point where i am super bored in class. 

If you just passed your signals and definitions test this past week think long and hard about working here as an a/c. All you do is study within a half hour of waking up all the way up until you close your eyes for bed. 

If for some reason you decide you dont want to to study for just one night you fall very far behind. When they say you will have no life you really dont have any life at all for years.So consider this a warning ac class sucks think twice before you actually take the job.

Mikey23, wonder if wearing a Jordan jersey is enough of a clue to be identified, as the assclown that would actually post something like this. STFU and do us all a favor and drop out. You’ll prolly be the kid in class who opens doors off platform. Good luck coming out with being a total douche from the jump.

On 3/28/2019 at 5:47 PM, LappaJJ said:

Mikey23, wonder if wearing a Jordan jersey is enough of a clue to be identified, as the assclown that would actually post something like this. STFU and do us all a favor and drop out. You’ll prolly be the kid in class who opens doors off platform. Good luck coming out with being a total douche from the jump.

who is this bozo? you sound like a clown. If anyone sounds like a douche its you. Hopefully i dont work with people like you when i get out there. You sound like you belong in my class with the rest of them. I am not going to sit back and  allow anyone to talk to me like this, i speak my mind and if you dont like it then dont read it.  i dont care if your fresh out of class or have 25 years in. Save your posts and save yourself the embarrassment. Ill fill you in on a little something lappajj, you have any idea how many people out there are jordan fans? Your a donkey.  im not the only jordan fan out there. Worry about your job not mine. 

4 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

who is this bozo? you sound like a clown. If anyone sounds like a douche its you. Hopefully i dont work with people like you when i get out there. You sound like you belong in my class with the rest of them. I am not going to sit back and  allow anyone to talk to me like this, i speak my mind and if you dont like it then dont read it.  i dont care if your fresh out of class or have 25 years in. Save your posts and save yourself the embarrassment. Ill fill you in on a little something lappajj, you have any idea how many people out there are jordan fans? Your a donkey.  im not the only jordan fan out there. Worry about your job not mine. 

Yo donkey boy!  I'm gonna be looking for you.  You one disrespectful lil punk.  In fact, when I find you I'm gonna put my foot in your a$$hole!

5 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

This is the kind of job and environment where teamwork is really important. Being able to work well with others and communicate is essential to both your safety and your success. Based on the way you talk about your coworkers and talk to people on here, I don't think you are going to have a very long or enjoyable time on the railroad.

8 hours ago, Two2Go said:

This is the kind of job and environment where teamwork is really important. Being able to work well with others and communicate is essential to both your safety and your success. Based on the way you talk about your coworkers and talk to people on here, I don't think you are going to have a very long or enjoyable time on the railroad.

Never know, he seems like transp mgmt material 

21 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

Hey Mikey23, im not sure if you know this or not, but everyone in our class knows who you are. You have no idea how much we are laughing at you. When your sitting by yourself during breaks and lunch, we are talking about how much we cant stand you. You can hide behind a bogus screen name all you want. It really wasnt that difficult finding out who you are. Dont you find it odd that absolutely no one in our entire class talks to you?? Do you even notice that fact? The only one who talks to you is the person you sit next to in class and thats because the person has no choice. What you dont know is that the person who sits next to you cant stand you either. Why would you want to continue working at a place where none of your co workers like you!??? Do everyone at LIRR a huge favor and quit. 

On 3/29/2019 at 7:32 PM, Mikey23 said:

You’re a donkey ****

this idiot can’t even use proper grammar, 

Lol everyone knows who you are, you’re going to have a horrible time on the railroad, at least you have a nickname already donkey boy.  Do us and yourself a favor and stop showing up loser.

21 hours ago, IronHorse said:

Yo donkey boy!  I'm gonna be looking for you.  You one disrespectful lil punk.  In fact, when I find you I'm gonna put my foot in your a$$hole!

This is the type of people that work for Long Island Railroad. Another typical keyboard warrior. The fact is you wouldnt say a single disrespectful word to my face. Your actually the one who started all of this. 

3 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Hey Mikey23, im not sure if you know this or not, but everyone in our class knows who you are. You have no idea how much we are laughing at you. When your sitting by yourself during breaks and lunch, we are talking about how much we cant stand you. You can hide behind a bogus screen name all you want. It really wasnt that difficult finding out who you are. Dont you find it odd that absolutely no one in our entire class talks to you?? Do you even notice that fact? The only one who talks to you is the person you sit next to in class and thats because the person has no choice. What you dont know is that the person who sits next to you cant stand you either. Why would you want to continue working at a place where none of your co workers like you!??? Do everyone at LIRR a huge favor and quit. 

Like i believe that. I have had a conversation with every single person in class so obviously your talking garbage as well. No one in class talks behind my back im sure of it. This is my last post on this forum. Class is almost over and i will be on the trains soon instead of being locked in a classroom with all of you.  Im not posting here anymore since everyone in this forum are donkeys. GOODBYE EVERYBODY! GOOD RIDDANCE 

13 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

This is the type of people that work for Long Island Railroad. Another typical keyboard warrior. The fact is you wouldnt say a single disrespectful word to my face. Your actually the one who started all of this. 

Typical keyboard warrior? You’re hiding behind a computer and username calling people donkeys. Call us donkeys tomorrow in class to our face, I can’t wait.

14 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

Like i believe that. I have had a conversation with every single person in class so obviously your talking garbage as well. No one in class talks behind my back im sure of it. This is my last post on this forum. Class is almost over and i will be on the trains soon instead of being locked in a classroom with all of you.  Im not posting here anymore since everyone in this forum are donkeys. GOODBYE EVERYBODY! GOOD RIDDANCE 

Alright Donkey boy!  I'll see you soon and when I do, I'll greet you as Donkey boy!!

On 3/30/2019 at 9:35 PM, Mikey23 said:

When you graduate its going to be "HELLO EVERYONE, I'M A DONKEY"!

On 3/18/2019 at 2:11 AM, Burner11801 said:

It’s a small world and the rr is even smaller. You don’t know who knows who and who’s related to some shotcaller.

Wise up, stfu and don’t forget to throw the toggle when you get out new guy. 

On 3/28/2019 at 5:47 PM, LappaJJ said:

On 3/29/2019 at 7:32 PM, Mikey23 said:

On 3/30/2019 at 12:10 AM, IronHorse said:

On 3/30/2019 at 5:39 PM, Suffolkbull3 said:

On 3/30/2019 at 7:58 PM, Cdima123 said:

You’re a donkey ****

this idiot can’t even use proper grammar,

Lol everyone knows who you are, you’re going to have a horrible time on the railroad, at least you have a nickname already donkey boy.  Do us and yourself a favor and stop showing up loser.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:02 AM, Cheddie said:

Typical keyboard warrior? You’re hiding behind a computer and username calling people donkeys. Call us donkeys tomorrow in class to our face, I can’t wait.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:41 AM, IronHorse said:

Alright Donkey boy!  I'll see you soon and when I do, I'll greet you as Donkey boy!!

Guys, as per the guidelines of the website, this behavior is unacceptable and will stop immediately!! Anyone who "dares" to continue this behavior on this website, regardless of what happens in person, will receive warnings which include, but not limited to, being indefinitely suspended from accessing the site as a member or being indefinitely restricted from posting anymore content. In addition, as it says on the guidelines page, "Duplicate accounts are not allowed."  Based on certain criteria, we know "who's who" on the site and those folks who make a second or third account for themselves will receive more severe and harsh penalties, respectively.

Don't believe me? Then I dare you to continue, regardless of what happens in person. I got teased at and I sometimes sit by myself too, so I know how it feels. And these posts make things ten times worse for those individuals. Trust me, been there, done that. However, if you want to continue to be the bully, then I dare you to, regardless of what happens in person. Just wait until you receive your punishment, trust me.

Edited by +Young+

On 4/9/2019 at 3:43 PM, moses said:

how long after the job is closed to they contact you or give a notification?

I can tell you that when i applied for A/C, the job posting closed on 2/23/18 and i received an email on 4/17/18 inviting me to the open house but it varies greatly as ironbound said. 

7 hours ago, Trainguy77 said:

I have the S&D Exam, I know if you went to the overview, you must sit for the exam. However, is there exceptions to this rule that would allow someone to take a later exam? Like medical exceptions? 

Call your HR rep  and talk to her.

16 hours ago, Trainguy77 said:

I have the S&D Exam, I know if you went to the overview, you must sit for the exam. However, is there exceptions to this rule that would allow someone to take a later exam? Like medical exceptions? 

I highly doubt they'd make any exceptions. The whole idea is that once you go to the overview, you are "locked into" the test date 5 weeks later. They only want you having 5 weeks to study for the test. If you had more time, you'd have an easier time passing the test, but that doesn't show them that you have the ability to study and pass the qualifying exams in a couple years (which is the whole point of making you learn the S&D's in 5 weeks).