questions on how motormans depart and aboard a resting train

DS4Ever

I have a huge question

I've been in doubt of this to ask but how does a motormans does as it let's to rest a (R) train by the middle tracks between Sutphin Blvd and Parsons Blvd and between 75th ave and Briarwood

They leave the trains in between stations and then disembark and jump off (or in if commencing the day's work) walk to thw nearest station and thus leaves to take a working schedules train (E)(F) towards its destination

Also do they have some sort of portable ladder since the height between the track floors and the car doors is almost a human height (1.50 m) do they have to be acrobats

Or does the motorman that helds up the resting (R) and (M) trains stay there and takes a long nap till 5am to take out to run the day's work on the parked (M)(R) trains

I have a huge question

I've been in doubt of this to ask but how does a motormans does as it let's to rest a (R) train by the middle tracks between Sutphin Blvd and Parsons Blvd and between 75th ave and Briarwood

They leave the trains in between stations and then disembark and jump off (or in if commencing the day's work) walk to thw nearest station and thus leaves to take a working schedules train (E)(F) towards its destination

Also do they have some sort of portable ladder since the height between the track floors and the car doors is almost a human height (1.50 m) do they have to be acrobats

Or does the motorman that helds up the resting (R) and (M) trains stay there and takes a long nap till 5am to take out to run the day's work on the parked (M)(R) trains

the laid up trains are parked right next to each other and I think that they could walk to the next train 'till they get to the next express station. This is what I think. I am not sure.

The crews don't spend a night on the train.

They board the train though the storm door on the very ends, they climb up on the train from the roadbed.

On the 46s and 160s there appears to be a ladder like thing under the car where the T/O sits, I wonder if the T/O's use that to climb up on the train?

They board the train though the storm door on the very ends, they climb up on the train from the roadbed.

On the 46s and 160s there appears to be a ladder like thing under the car where the T/O sits, I wonder if the T/O's use that to climb up on the train?

You mean the bar underneath the operator's side?

In that case yes. They use the bar parallel and underneath the bottom of the cab window to pull themselves up.

After disembarking the train, which does NOT consist of jumping off the train, they walk to the nearest station. When they reach the station, they have a small ladder to climb in order to get onto the station platform from the tracks. Some examples of this can be seen here, here and here.

Next, as far as the "ladder like thing," this is on all of the subway cars in the current fleet. The only exception are a few Nostalgia Trains. A few pictures of this can be seen here and here.

If you want to see this happen, check out

video, which is not mine, in between 2 minutes, 30 seconds and 3 minutes.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Wow now that answers it all so the motorman must know how to disembark and embark by holding on those handles and when a train is parked in between stations itmust ppark the cockpit at least 50 cm to the next train door cockpit and thus open that door

In terms of the station its getting off if it is an express station then it is at luck but if it is a local station (75 ave briarwood or sutphin blvd then it must cross fastly the tracks to climb the ladder

Im still surprised with how they get up and down the trains thats such a height

Wow now that answers it all so the motorman must know how to disembark and embark by holding on those handles and when a train is parked in between stations itmust ppark the cockpit at least 50 cm to the next train door cockpit and thus open that door

In terms of the station its getting off if it is an express station then it is at luck but if it is a local station (75 ave briarwood or sutphin blvd then it must cross fastly the tracks to climb the ladder

Its actually pretty easy to climb into and out of the front of the front of a train with the little step (hardly a ladder) there to help. Just maintain 3 points of contact while climbing, and the rest is easy

Semi-off topic question;

When workers are checking the tracks manually by walking along them, or when lets say there's construction on the 42 St Shuttle Track 3, do workers have to step over the third rail in order to go from track to track? Because I remember back in 2015 when Track 3 was being worked on, I saw a lot of workers actually sitting on the Third Rail.

Semi-off topic question;

When workers are checking the tracks manually by walking along them, or when lets say there's construction on the 42 St Shuttle Track 3, do workers have to step over the third rail in order to go from track to track? Because I remember back in 2015 when Track 3 was being worked on, I saw a lot of workers actually sitting on the Third Rail.

Yes

I would contest that statement, considering I'm familiar with a few guys who have relayed to me that there are several graveyard shifts that involve a single revenue run, followed by a layup, then sitting there for the remaining 4-5 hours of the shift before being able to leave and clock out.

I would contest that statement, considering I'm familiar with a few guys who have relayed to me that there are several graveyard shifts that involve a single revenue run, followed by a layup, then sitting there for the remaining 4-5 hours of the shift before being able to leave and clock out.

Well I never heard of such runs, closest I heard of that is (5) trains that are scheduled to sit in the SF inner loop during rush hours.

Semi-off topic question;

They were sitting on the 3rd cover. If they were sitting on the 3rd rail itself, the results would be rather.....shocking. 

All Conductors, Train Operators, etc. have been through the Track Safety class, therefore they know what they are doing. Also, it helps if this is not during rush hour, so they have some more time.

As far as how they get up and down - it's practice. In case you want more information, refer to this post. Like I said, you can always go to a local playground and practice climbing up and down on the monkey bars.

I sure hope that they bring things to do!

Archived