How are trunk lines given their main street?

Javier

I would imagine that 42 St Shuttle and Flushing Local is actually used to differentiate between the two; you can't actually use them like a traditional local-express setup, because the Flushing Line is several stories below the (S). If you want Flushing, go deep to use the Flushing Line, but otherwise use the shuttle.

That may be, but there are only three lines that run above 59th Street, so I wouldn't really call it a rule, but rather just an observation.

But if all trunk lines run below 59th Street, where the two CBDs are, then it would make sense to name trunks that way. You wouldn't call the 6th Avenue Line the CPW Line. It has little use for those trying to find their way in the most touristy and job centered sections of the City.

Therefore, a rule. The east and west side IRT trunks somewhat fall out of that.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

See now this is confusing. How do they name the shuttles then?

If both the (S) and (7) run under the same street (42nd St) why is one called the 42nd St Shuttle and the other Flushing Local?

Same thing with the Bowling Green Shuttle.

The 7 actually runs under 41 St.

But if all trunk lines run below 59th Street, where the two CBDs are, then it would make sense to name trunks that way. You wouldn't call the 6th Avenue Line the CPW Line. It has little use for those trying to find their way in the most touristy and job centered sections of the City.

Therefore, a rule. The east and west side IRT trunks somewhat fall out of that.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Of course you wouldn't call the 6th Avenue line the Central Park West line. That's ridiculous. I'm simply saying you could also make the case that the Manhattan north-south lines were also named the longest stretch of road the tracks travel down.

The 7 actually runs under 41 St.

Actually, it runs under 41st from 10th Avenue to Broadway, then runs in between 42nd and 41st Streets from 6th Avenue to Park, then runs under 42nd from Lexington to the edge of Manhattan. I'm guessing they'd choose 42nd Street since it's associated with key stations (I.E. "Times Sq - 42nd Street" or "Grand Central - 42nd Street"), and it's where the (7) enters / exits Manhattan.

Of course you wouldn't call the 6th Avenue line the Central Park West line. That's ridiculous. I'm simply saying you could also make the case that the Manhattan north-south lines were also named the longest stretch of road the tracks travel down.

That's still not true though in the case of the B/D.  They're on 6th Avenue from 4th to 53rd (49 blocks).  Even if you want to get anal and only count the west side of Central Park as Central Park West (and not the bits of Frederick Douglass, St. Nicholas, and 8th Avenue), that's still from 59th to 110th (51 blocks).

See this is what confuses me. If all of the trunk lines are based on the street that they run on in Manhattan, why are half of the lines named after the streets they go on in the Bronx?? I.E (1) Broadway-7th Avenue Local

See this is what confuses me. If all of the trunk lines are based on the street that they run on in Manhattan, why are half of the lines named after the streets they go on in the Bronx?? I.E (1) Broadway-7th Avenue Local

The (1) runs under Broadway in Manhattan too. None of the other Bronx routes are named under the streets they serve in the Bronx, at least on the service guide.

That's still not true though in the case of the B/D.  They're on 6th Avenue from 4th to 53rd (49 blocks).  Even if you want to get anal and only count the west side of Central Park as Central Park West (and not the bits of Frederick Douglass, St. Nicholas, and 8th Avenue), that's still from 59th to 110th (51 blocks).

Consider that the only section where the (B)(D)(F) and (M) share track-age is on 6th Avenue and Houston Street and that they are on 6th Avenue for longer. Its makes perfect sense.

Consider that the only section where the (B)(D)(F) and (M) share track-age is on 6th Avenue and Houston Street and that they are on 6th Avenue for longer. Its makes perfect sense.

The line was called the Houston St line until the 6th Ave section opened.

The (1) runs under Broadway in Manhattan too. None of the other Bronx routes are named under the streets they serve in the Bronx, at least on the service guide.

The services used to be signed after all the lines they run on, and they still are in internal service documents. FWIW the physical lines in the Bronx are mostly named after the roads: the (1) runs along the entire Broadway - 7th Ave line, the (4) runs on the Jerome Ave line, the (2) runs on the White Plains Road line, and the (B)(D) run under the Concourse line. The exceptions are the (5) and (6) lines, which are named after their terminals. The (5) used to be a mainline railroad, and the (6) runs primarily under Westchester Ave, which the (2)(5) also run along.

And don't forget the (7). The (5)(6) and (7) are the only three lines that are named after their terminals.

There is the Jamaica Line, the New Lots Line, the Brighton Line, the Woodlawn Line, there was the World's Fair Line, and there is the Canarsie Line.

Although many lines are named officially in my personal experience it also has a lot to do with one's environment. My formative years were in the Brooklyn 1950s to 1970 era. I lived in Bed-Stuy, then Brownsville, and finally Flatbush in that time frame. From the beginning today's (J), (Z) line was numbered as the #14 and #15 line the Broadway-Brooklyn or Jamaica line which included the Broadway Short Line. The Myrtle Avenue El was also a Bed-Stuy line as a Brooklynite. Brownsville was the Canarsie Line and the Fulton Street line which was BMT.  Today's Fulton Street ( A), (C) subway was called the Eighth Avenue subway by everyone I knew, family or neighbor. It took me years to figure out the reasoning behind this but my mother and my uncles made it rather simple. They were alive before the subway was built and actually lived on Fulton Street for a time.Fulton Street meant El to them. Naturally my age group carried on the same terminology because it was passed down to us. The IRT in Brownsville was always just the IRT, never the New Lots or Livonia Avenue line. Utica Avenue was the place where people called trains Lexington or Seventh Avenue. Flatbush IRT was IRT, period but Flatbush BMT was a little more involved. My home station, Prospect Park, went from the #1 and #7 to the (Q), (QB), (QT) and the (S). It was always the Brighton Line to me back then. The Franklin Shuttle name came later. I haven't mentioned the IND (GG) in Bed-Stuy because I rarely used it. More to follow. Carry on.

The Dyre Avenue line, the Pelham Line, the White Plains Road line, the Third Avenue line, the Jerome Avenue Line, and the Broadway Line were the official Bronx IRT names IIRC over my career. In Manhattan the (1) becomes the Broadway-Seventh Avenue Line, the (2) and (3) are the Seventh Avenue Lines and the (4), (5), and (6) are the Lexington-Fourth Avenue Line on the East Side. That's how the signs at the station entrances described the IRT lines in Brooklyn and in the Bronx before the rehab modernization programs came about. Those signs were always blue background with white printing while the BMT signs in Brooklyn and Manhattan were always green background with white printing. Those signs read Fourth Avenue, Sea Beach, West End, Culver, and Brighton to Coney Island,Prospect Park, Times Square, Queens among other destinations. I remember seeing some of the IRT and BMT elevated station  entrance signs somewhere online. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Carry on.

Archived