Subway Announcements

Union Tpke

LOL "do not use the PA to talk to someone holding the doors directly." Some of my favorite subway memories are the times the C/R got into verbal standoffs and arguments over the PA with people holding doors open

True, but it's also unprofessional, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those customers filed complaints as a result.  I'm glad the (MTA) is trying to tackle these sorts of issues.  The riding public serves to know what is going on rather than being told some BS about how we're delayed because of train traffic (automated announcement).  These are the kinds of things that need to be done to make the riding experience better, especially with them constantly claiming that they need to raise the fares.

This bulleten has been around for years. (I think i still have my copy from school car from 2 years ago). And to be honest, it cuts thia whole commom exchange out: passenger: "why are we sitting here? " me: " see that red signal ahead" passenger : "why do we have a red signal? " me : "we have trains ahead of us" passenger: "why cant you just go around it? " (actual convo i had when i was a c/r.). You gotta remember, we may know things, but the majority of the riding public dont.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

"Inform customers of the delay instead of the generic "Train traffic".

For example: Ladies and gentlemen we are being delayed by terminating (R) trains at 71st Ave because the higher ups are too cheap/uninspired to find a way to have them terminate at 179th Street or Queens Plaza so that (E) and (F) trains aren't delayed all evening (or weekend).

Giving Travel options is good. Many people are completely lost when they could get on another train or bus.

For example: Ladies and gentlemen we are being delayed by terminating (R) trains at 71st Ave because the higher ups are too cheap/uninspired to find a way to have them terminate at 179th Street or Queens Plaza so that (E) and (F) trains aren't delayed all evening (or weekend).

Giving Travel options is good. Many people are completely lost when they could get on another train or bus.

I know you're joking, but if any conductor actually did that, they'd be written up so fast, you wouldn't believe it. However, giving riders alternative methods of getting to their destinations shouldn't be rocket science.

On the subject of the announcement rules, apparently there is a rule about spamming the "delay" announcements. Yesterday, I was on a trip downtown on the (4) and the conductor played the standard "train traffic" announcement three times within the span of no more than a few minutes. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I cannot stand when they do that. It's very annoying when conductors hide behind the canned announcements and even worse when they're played ad naseum without any real information following.

Regarding this document in general, I'm a little wary of these internal documents winding up here. I'm not sure if there is any rule on sharing MTA internal information with us regular folk. If someone could let me know if this is alright, that would be appreciated.

Ive been on a few trains where that happened following a five to ten minute delay

Certainly didn't happen on the (E) I was on last week. We were stuck on the express at 36th Street for 20 minutes due to a sick passenger.

You can't turn them at queens plaza without clogging up the express tracks. 179 would be fine. 

Honestly - closest thing that would probably ever happen to this - on one particularly bad conga-line day on queens blvd - I heard, on the scanner, dispatcher tell the conductors to give passengers the phone number to complain - and then the conductor made the corresponding announcement. 

This was the worst day I had ever experienced of "everything local on QBL" and, I'd imagine the dispatchers were non-plussed with the terms of the GO. Arming the riders as their telephone militia to voice a thousand complaints - pretty clever way of trying to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

(It's never been THAT bad since.)

On my JetBlue flight to SJC a while back, a couple of random thunderstorms hit JFK as we were lining up for takeoff.

Pilot: Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking. The runway we are sitting on right now is currently closed. At this time air traffic control has closed all of the runways at JFK due to the thunderstorms you see outside and no planes are able to takeoff or land. We will need to wait for the weather to pass through before we will be able to depart to California. When the runways do reopen, however, the planes waiting to land will take precedent over us because of fuel constraints, therefore we do expect a little bit of a wait after the airport reopens. If you're watching the clock with us, I can inform you that I do not expect corporate to call us back to the gate until at least 4PM. For now, feel free to move around the cabin and use your cell phone and other electronic devices. I'll update you as soon as I have more information. 

I'm not asking for a lecture, but it would at least be nice if conductors could say something quick like "we need to hold for a few short minutes to wait for an (M) train to cross in front of us" rather than the generic train traffic announcement. I would def like more specific details on delays (such as the information pilots give) rather than the completely useless announcements from a computer

And for anyone who was curious: We ended up taking off at 3:55 PM, 115 minutes late

On my JetBlue flight to SJC a while back, a couple of random thunderstorms hit JFK as we were lining up for takeoff.

Pilot: Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking. The runway we are sitting on right now is currently closed. At this time air traffic control has closed all of the runways at JFK due to the thunderstorms you see outside and no planes are able to takeoff or land. We will need to wait for the weather to pass through before we will be able to depart to California. When the runways do reopen, however, the planes waiting to land will take precedent over us because of fuel constraints, therefore we do expect a little bit of a wait after the airport reopens. If you're watching the clock with us, I can inform you that I do not expect corporate to call us back to the gate until at least 4PM. For now, feel free to move around the cabin and use your cell phone and other electronic devices. I'll update you as soon as I have more information. 

I'm not asking for a lecture, but it would at least be nice if conductors could say something quick like "we need to hold for a few short minutes to wait for an (M) train to cross in front of us" rather than the generic train traffic announcement. I would def like more specific details on delays (such as the information pilots give) rather than the completely useless announcements from a computer

And for anyone who was curious: We ended up taking off at 3:55 PM, 115 minutes late

Agreed... The usual announcements are particularly annoying because it insinuates that somehow the general public is too stupid to realize that there really isn't train traffic ahead that is causing your delay.  I mean really, if I've been waiting for a train for almost 15 minutes and it is outside of rush hour when there isn't as much train traffic on a line where there aren't tons of trains sharing the same track, using the train traffic ahead announcement is just lame and insulting.  It also makes riders try to avoid certain lines if they know they're going to be dealing with constant congestion or whatever the so-called delay is.  Being transparent where possible is really the best way to go.

• 1 month later...

When there's a red signal, it usually indicates there's a train ahead stopped, whether it's on your track, or a diverging track in relation to the line up your train is taking. Whether it's flagging, Mechanical issue or what not. There are times where we're stopped at a red and have no idea why at that moment and the most logical assumption is a train ahead...like being stuck in traffic no matter what time it is. it's not to say that it's felt the general public is too stupid (although they many times act like they need to be lead by hand) one time at QB Plaza I made an announcement stating that cause of track work trains were running in both directions on one track and we were waiting for an Astoria bound train to arrive before we were cleared to go ahead. Man did I get so many complaints and questions that were basically answered in my announcement. If you were on the other side of the cab door you may understand why train crews are instructed to make announcements as they do

You can't turn them at queens plaza without clogging up the express tracks. 179 would be fine. 

That would be a valid point during rush hour, but not when (E) trains are running local (or all lines are running express in one direction) late nights and weekends when there are no (M) trains sharing the 53rd street line.

Congestion ahead or a red signal used to be common announcements. My guess is that there were many complaints, because many people would not understand what those announcements mean. They wouldn't understand that a red signal means a train in front of us. So why not just say thst? It is much clearer. "Congestion" may also not be clear to some passengers. Especially if you know it is not he truth because you waited 15 minutes for the train and there are no mergers ahead.

Oh please, when my (A) train was stuck at 81 St for an hour and a half, all my conductor did was say "There was a switch problem up ahead." The first time, then the second time was "There are signal problems ahead." Then the third time was "Loss of power to the signals and switch but not the third rail". I'm like, WHAT IS THE MAIN REASON!!!!!

Oh please, when my (A) train was stuck at 81 St for an hour and a half, all my conductor did was say "There was a switch problem up ahead." The first time, then the second time was "There are signal problems ahead." Then the third time was "Loss of power to the signals and switch but not the third rail". I'm like, WHAT IS THE MAIN REASON!!!!!

Which was answered in stages. He or she was obviously getting the info as it came in. People seem to believe that just because you are a conductor, you HAVE to know whats going on.

I have to agree with the posters who say that the MTA feels that the public is stupid when in reality, they just do not want to give out correct information. What the reason is I really do not know why is it such a secret for the reason for delay when the general public is more attuned to what is going then those on top do not want to admit. What is interesting that our first line of sources of information that work the trains and the stations are usually the last to know when they should be the first to know.as they are directly involved with the public. 

The reason may be that management in many agencies have gone from down-up style of management to a top-down dictatorial style of management where information no matter how important to the public is controlled. It is like we hear about their "successes" but unless an enterprising journalist writes about their mistakes, it is never to be seen by the public. To the people that provide the public with information, I think that a delay is considered a failure on the part of management and therefore one must go to the "1984" Orwellian form of "Single Speak, Double Speak" in which truth becomes a casualty of the broader goal of protecting the reputation of the agency. What disturbs me more in today's society is that despite all the laws on the books involving the right to know information on all levels, the amount of information that should be provided to the public has been decreasing as our elected leaders and agency bureaucrats have found ways to get around the laws and are placing more restrictions on what information can be made available to the public. I find this to be quite disturbing as it restricts our right to know.

Archived